Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Superman Movies

+31
Muggsy
Melk
dionneshea
ActonBell
Cynara
Gallifrey Girl
TiffanyNichelle
Algae
Raksha
Coneycat
Bad Username
Matinee
UmaOprah
Agent Sculder
Putli Bai
Eris Rising
ulkis
Kiran
bookworm
year of the cat
The Dude
sagitare
sen3
whatthedeuce
swsa
QueenSix
jennlynnster
laddical
RiverThames
Skyblade
Wildog27
35 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Superman Movies - Page 7 Empty Re: Superman Movies

Post  dionneshea Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:19 am

I don't think her level of stardom before the role is necessarily an indicator of what they're seeing for the future of a Wonder Woman franchise. Who was Chris Hemsworth before Thor? While Chris Evans had a a lot of credits, he was basically just that guy from the failed Marvel franchise that was billed after everyone else before he got Captain America. Chris (man, they like their Chrises) Pratt is just the sixth banana from Parks and Rec, really and he's the lead in Guardians of the Galaxy. Wolverine was the first major Hollywood role that Hugh Jackman had.

Gal Gadot may seem a bit willowy for the role, and yes, she was in the Miss Universe contest. She was also in the Israeli Army, and whether or not she could actually beat someone up is pretty damn convincing in fight scenes. Maybe Marvel is actually taking a queue from Marvel and is picking the person they think will be the best person for the job and not just the big names.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:49 am

This is Zach Snyder directing. If there's one thing we can be sure of, she's going to spend a hell of a lot of time at the gym between now and camera roll. Seriously - watching the Man of Steel extras of Henry, Michael, Russell, and the young lady who played Faora literally torture themselves to look and move *just so*... I was inspired to hit the gym myself, but mainly I just wanted to curl up and die from exhaustion just watching them. So whether she's "willowy" or not is, I think, going to be beside the point.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:30 am

dionneshea wrote:I don't think her level of stardom before the role is necessarily an indicator of what they're seeing for the future of a Wonder Woman franchise. Who was Chris Hemsworth before Thor? While Chris Evans had a a lot of credits, he was basically just that guy from the failed Marvel franchise that was billed after everyone else before he got Captain America. Chris (man, they like their Chrises) Pratt is just the sixth banana from Parks and Rec, really and he's the lead in Guardians of the Galaxy. Wolverine was the first major Hollywood role that Hugh Jackman had.

Gal Gadot may seem a bit willowy for the role, and yes, she was in the Miss Universe contest. She was also in the Israeli Army, and whether or not she could actually beat someone up is pretty damn convincing in fight scenes. Maybe Marvel is actually taking a queue from Marvel and is picking the person they think will be the best person for the job and not just the big names.
I've seen her act, so I'm still going to go with my "she was cheap, pretty, and the role is insignificant enough that there was no real interest from more solid actresses" theory. I'm not the least bit concerned with her bulking up or effectively doing fight scenes. I think it's clear those aren't where Snyder runs into problems. It's more the overall implication of what this signals for the character's future and importance that bothers me. I cringed over the idea of the man who brought us Sucker Punch getting his creepy hands on Wonder Woman from the get-go, and this has only confirmed those fears for me.

I also don't think this is comparable to Marvel as I think it was clear that both Evans and Pratt were on the verge of a breakthrough before they landed their roles. It was just a matter of time there. I'll admit I don't know anything about what Hemsworth was doing before Thor, so you may have a point there.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 pm

I agree that Sucker Punch did Snyder no favours but that was completely a Zach Snyder film; he came up with the story and the screenplay which he probably got the green light to do after 300 and Watchmen made big money and weren't considered complete failures. He's not writing this new film so that lessens a lot of the more dubious elements that people found so distasteful about Sucker Punch. It's a huge DC/Warners property which limits his ability to go off the beaten track. I think visually he's a fine director and I really hope they've come up with a story that does all three characters credit. I'm prepared to take every film as it comes, especially as he's not really an auteur and most of his trademarks are visual and not to do with any story tropes or atmosphere.

I'm not a Snyder apologist and I would never try to tell someone what to think but this outpouring of negativity (not directed at anyone here mind, that's not how I roll) that I was seeing being linked to by on Tumblr and Twitter by a lot of movie sites, it's just so tiring. I have seen Gal Gadot in the Fast & the Furious, I thought she did well and I liked her. They've chosen her to be Wonder Woman? Great. Let's see what they come up before we start proclaiming this to be the worst decision ever, which is completely different from having a discussion about it, and it infuriates the life out of me when people start making declarations about things as though that was the end of the matter. Because screw that, I'm looking forward to this film so don't go around saying that everybody thinks this is all rubbish. If people can go around saying that they hate it on sight, then I can go around saying that I'm interested in this film and am looking forward to seeing what they do this time around.

Again, not directed at anyone here, just in general at people who like to make sweeping statements as though theirs was the only authoritative voice, aka the rest of the internet. Heh.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Jeremy Irons as Alfred and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

I think Irons will be great as Alfred and my first reaction to Eisenberg as Luthor is "What the fuck?!?" and then I remember how much I thought Heath Ledger was a bad choice for the Joker and that turned out great, so I'll reserve judgment right now.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

I have a soft spot for Eisenberg so I hope he nails the Luthor role.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:55 am

Zach Synder to direct Justice League film.

I am going to continue with my 'wait and see' policy before making any judgements about this, though I know that it will be an unpopular decision to some people.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm more skeptical because the Justice League movie seems really thrown together. Like a last ditch effort to compete with Marvel without the years of planning. I don't know maybe it'll surprise me (and maybe if they are just cameos this means Batman vs Superman won't be the huge bloated mess I am anticipating it being, although again, skeptical).
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:52 pm

After Man of Steel, my wait and see attitude has been damaged with regards to anything involving Zach Snyder.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:06 pm

I really don't understand why DC have decided to entrust their entire film franchise efforts to Zach Snyder of all people. I completely understand why Marvel have handed The Avengers to Joss Whedon, but what has Snyder done that makes them think he's the guy for this? Watchmen was not a commercial or critical success, and Man of Steel made good (although nothing like The Dark Knight) money but got middling reviews (which were still better than it deserved in my opinion).

Marvel have put so much time and consideration into their franchise, it's kind of depressing to see DC rushing through the process in a blatant money-grab.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:11 pm

I don't deny any of what you all are saying but I have this HUGE affection for the Superman stories/movies (ever since my late Dad bought me my first comic at the age of nine) and I'm waiting to see how it turns out because I don't want to be cynical about it while we are waiting for them to make the films, if that makes sense. I mean, I'm not going to have a breakdown if they turn out to be rubbish or go online shrieking at people that they're big old ruiners or anything, but I NEED TO BELIEVE that something good could happen.

(Where's that "I want to believe" poster that Mulder had in his office? I'll be sticking that on the wall any day now).

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:53 pm

I really don't understand why DC have decided to entrust their entire film franchise efforts to Zach Snyder of all people. I completely understand why Marvel have handed The Avengers to Joss Whedon, but what has Snyder done that makes them think he's the guy for this? Watchmen was not a commercial or critical success, and Man of Steel made good (although nothing like The Dark Knight) money but got middling reviews (which were still better than it deserved in my opinion).

Marvel have put so much time and consideration into their franchise, it's kind of depressing to see DC rushing through the process in a blatant money-grab.

ITA. I came away from Man of Steel convinced that Snyder doesn't understand the character of Superman at all. I think he's the wrong person for this.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:57 pm

It's such a shame that DC hasn't been able to get their shit together and didn't get really push to get Justice League in development YEARS ago. They could have rebooted Superman in between the Batman movies and gotten a Wonder Woman movie done. Instead they sat on their hands and waited, only doing half-hearted Green Lantern movie that didn't do well. And now after the success of The Avengers they're desperate to catch up. I find it particularly sad because the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series are SO GOOD. In fact, pretty much ALL of the animated series based on DC characters are great. Why isn't DC talking to Bruce Timm? He knows the DC world well, and he's done great work with the characters.

Look, I'm not a rabid hater of Zach Snyder either. I didn't hate Watchmen, in fact, I rather liked it. It wasn't perfect, but it was reverent to the story told in the comic (except the end, which would not have worked on film). Man of Steel was OK. The cast was good, and I enjoyed the story. I had pretty much forgiven Snyder for all his excesses up until the never ending battle in Metropolis. Some judicious editing of that part of the film would have improved it immensely.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't think he's without talent. I think he usually casts his films well. He just needs someone to rein him in. Marvel has Kevin Feige for that, and I don't think DC has anyone, UNLESS they can get Christopher Nolan to do it. But clearly, he was pretty hands off with Man of Steel, so I don't see that happening either.

I will reserve my judgment, but mostly because I really, really want a Wonder Woman movie in the worst way. I have loved her since I was three years old, and I'm going to be 36 this year. But I do have a lot of concerns if they had her story over to him.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Wed May 21, 2014 2:38 pm

The title is officially Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Link In retrospect, it's exactly what WB would call a movie like this that is basically pandering to fans, but I guess I'm sucked in by it because I'm ok with the title.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed May 21, 2014 4:09 pm

So it's functioning as a prequel to a Justice League movie?
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed May 21, 2014 5:10 pm

I think it has been since the minute they added Wonder Woman.

You know I'm kinda...skeptical, but I'm not going to lie I will flip ass on a dime if its good.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed May 21, 2014 6:14 pm

The title... the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Because it's innocuous at first, maybe a little cheesy, but it's also too much information. Just like this movie is too crowded. Never used three words when six will suffice and all that, I guess. I loved Man of Steel and was really excited about Affleck, but they just keep killing me with everything else.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu May 22, 2014 2:31 am

Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu May 22, 2014 2:38 am

Cautious skepticism is a good place to be with this franchise.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu May 22, 2014 2:54 am

What a fucking asshole. It's never a good sign when the writer has such contempt for the art form they're adapting the story from. Bad sign on top of bad sign, for this movie(/franchise).
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu May 22, 2014 3:09 am

I'm starting to move far beyond cautious skepticism into outright hatedom for a movie I should be anticipating more than anything except for Star Wars 7.

GODDAMMIT, Goyer.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu May 22, 2014 10:07 am

RiverThames wrote:Cautious skepticism is a good place to be with this franchise.

That's the thing, I didn't want to be cautiously skeptical with the Superman films. I wanted to all out love it and be waiting for it and generally enjoy the anticipation until it came out, like I did with the Lord of the Rings films in the sense of "oh that's an interesting interview with the cast/director/behind the scenes people" or "oh look more stills being released, how exciting" and you end up having nice chats with similarly interested friends about the whole thing.

Now I'm just hunkering down until the film comes out because I'm not exactly being filled with confidence here if this is the prevailing attitude from the fucking screenwriter. What happened, Goyer? It all looked so promising once when Blade came out. Was that just a fluke?!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Thu May 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Tom and Lorenzo nailed who should have been cast as Wonder Woman. I think she has the look and presence/charisma for sure:

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/05/aishwarya-rai-cannes-double-werq/

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Fri May 23, 2014 12:00 am

MelinaThe only woman who really made me think of Diana, back in the day was Her. " It's like, oh that's what a greek goddess looks like! I wish they wouldn't bleach her hair, though.
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Muggsy Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:05 pm

So any thoughts on the new Wonder Woman image that came out of ComicCon? It's better then I thought but it's still looks a bit like Wonder Woman by Victoria's Secret which was my fear all along.

Muggsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next