Superman Movies

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Superman Movies

Post  laddical on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:01 am

Yes, but up until the New 52 reboot, Batman carried a Kryptonite ring that Lex Luthor had once worn. Superman gave it to him with the express purpose of using it if Superman ever got mind-controlled or went crazy or whatever.

Batman deals with people who could liquefy him with a punch on a regular basis. Real world logic has nothing to do with it. Batman is always prepared and always five steps ahead.

Which doesn't mean I think Batman would necessarily win. I always abstain from making a decision in this argument. But it's not like Superman is going to take Batman's head off in one go and that's that, either.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:36 am

Oh Batman would eat Superman alive.

My position is that Batman...and more than a few others are better characters than Superman.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 am

Oh, good grief. Clark has better manners, and Bruce has better sense than to let himself be hit by a flying brick. Caveman vs. astronaut, that's the real question. ;)
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Hey, now. He may not be the World's Greatest Detective, but Clark is no intellectual slouch, either.

I keep watching the trailer, even weeks later. And there's the moment, right after Zack Snyder's credit and the shot of the giant squid-thingy (Starro? Oh God, if it could be Starro that would be the most awesome thing in the history of EVER) where we get a close on Clark's hand making a fist and then a shot of him inside a cone of white light where the drums go into this eight-beat drum roll that just drives me INSANE with glee. I seriously cannot wait for this movie.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 pm

I really hope the film lives up to the trailer.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:52 pm

I think its a bit cheap to say that Clark and Superman are not as good a character. I completely disagree. I think Batman has consistently had better writing but thats a different situation. But Superman himself is a very interesting character. Hes the only person of his kind. Hes not only an orphan but he is the last of his race. He may not look like an alien but in his own way he is as much of an outsider as someone like Martian Manhunter. He has Godlike powers. But. He was raised by humble Kansas farmers. He was a nerd in high school. Hes kind of awkward in his real life. Its such an amazing contrast. Clark Kent is someone who could have the entire world under his thumb if he chose to but instead he chooses day in and day out to help them. That to me is SO INTERESTING. And I think the reason I loved Christopher Reeve in the role so much is because he really nailed that contrast. This amazing Superman who even when suited up (particularly put up against Lois Lane, which speaking of, I've always loved that the love of Superman's life is this ballsy, mouthy, career woman.) is because of how he was raised, a humble small town guy at heart. I also do not think hes stupid. He went to college. He holds a pretty demanding job. And more importantly Lois Lane would never ever remain interested in a man who can't keep up with her.

Superman is a good man, but it doesn't make him a boring one, and I think thats a brush hes painted with too often.

Now he does have a boring book a lot of the time. And I still am disgusted at how he rocked a mullet for most of the 90s.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 pm

People keep trying to find me things to do the weekend of June 14th. At this point, I think I need the modern equivalent of a dance card that shows I am taken for the entire weekend. And by taken, I mean hopefully going to the cinema umpteen times.

I want this film to be good so badly. I will probably take it very personally and weep copious tears if it isn't. And I'll only see it twice in the cinema.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

I also do not think hes stupid. He went to college. He holds a pretty demanding job. And more importantly Lois Lane would never ever remain interested in a man who can't keep up with her.

I saw someone point out that he won a freakin' Pulitzer, so he can't be THAT dumb :)

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Kiran wrote: And more importantly Lois Lane would never ever remain interested in a man who can't keep up with her.

We're talking about someone fooled by a pair of glasses...

Yeah he's smart. He builds robots of himself, but to me it's more of the god mode problem he presents. Your only recourse is some hard to get deus ex machina rock. The magic weakness is almost like "What is there left that he can't stop?". It is unfair holding the worse rogues gallery against Supes, because Batman crushes it in that category.

I like Martian Manhunter, because unlike Superman he carries the weight of being the last of his kind and his Achilles' Hell is readily available.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 pm

If Man of Steel is more popular than Dark Knight Rises, Superman would win. If it's not, then Batman would win.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:16 pm

He speaks the truth.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Can't we all just get along and shed a tear for Captain Marvel and the entire Shazaam family?
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Kiran wrote:Can't we all just get along and shed a tear for Captain Marvel and the entire Shazaam family?

I've been doing that since they reintroduced him in the New 52.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Captain Marvel? Whozzat?

Oh, you mean Shazam? The Big Red Cheese? The guy who used to hang out with an old wizard named Shazam but now stole his name because DC thought, "What the hell... everyone calls him Shazam anyway?" even though no one I know who actually buys and reads comics EVER called him that?

I hate the New 52. I wish I could hate it to death.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm still bitter about what DC did to my beloved C-List Roy Harper during 52 and just prior to 52.

ALSO, James Robinson I ADORED your Starman but my God way to erase a lot of goodwill with that Cry for Justice bullshit.

I mean...you know whats awesome. This, still.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Superdickery will never not be awesome. Just wish it was still being maintained.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:59 am

Samples of the score have been posted.

A lot of drums and thankfully, what's in the trailer seems to be a part of the score, so I'm happy about that.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 am

Want. Now.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Wed May 01, 2013 6:10 pm

I've never been a huge comics fan and while I'll probably see this movie, it's not one I'm invested in. I do, however hope it's really really good, because I am invested in how invested Laddical is in it. Hate to see a fellow Snarker be disappointed.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed May 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Awww, that's so sweet, Putli Bai!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed May 01, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm touched. In the sentimental way, not the "in the head way" (though that's true, too).

Though honestly, I think my level of investment might actually be slightly lower than QueenSix's. Which is definitely saying something. I didn't think there was a bigger fan of Superman than me other than - maybe - Jerry Seinfeld. But she gives me pause.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 am

I'm looking forward to Man of Steel, but I swear to God I must be the only person who liked Superman Returns. I thought Brendan Routh was a great Superman, and he was even better as Clark Kent. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem with Superman Returns is the enormous miscasting of Kate Bosworth. Everyone else in the cast is really good and well cast. I have no idea what the hell Brian Singer was thinking.

But I also realize part of the reason I like the movie so much is that I pretty much have no memory of the original movies with Christopher Reeve. I know I saw them when I was really small, but they never made much of an impression, and I haven't re-watched them since.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu May 02, 2013 9:57 am

I really enjoyed Superman Returns as well. I even liked Kate Bosworth. I think it's a better movie than any of Christopher Reeve's outings. He was amazing and perfectly cast, but he was stuck in movies that seemed to think that "comic book" meant "funny book" and, even by the lax standards of the Silver Age, didn't make much sense plotwise. Maybe Returns didn't have Superman going up against an enemy that matched him physically, but it also didn't have him turning the Earth backwards to reverse time or pulling a saran wrap shield off his chest or suddenly and mysteriously gaining the ability to teleport and create hologram duplicates of himself. There are a lot of things that Richard Donner and the Salkinds got right - and a whole hell of a lot of stuff they got wrong. So, as a "replacement" for Superman III, I think Superman Returns was fine. It just wasn't as "big" as a Superman movie that had been stewing for twenty years should have been. And a lot of that had to do with Tim Burton wasting most of the budget on a movie that never got made, so by the time Singer showed up there really wasn't much he could do in terms of budget-busting spectacle.

I also liked the idea of the kid, and accusations that Superman is a "deadbeat dad" because he disappeared for five years leaving Lois to raise a kid he didn't even know existed make me twitchy. If there's one thing I really don't like about the movie, it's that Jason kills a man by throwing a piano at him and this is never addressed as maybe something Lois (and Superman, after she tells him) needs to talk to him about.

But between the Star Wars prequels, The Matrix sequels, and Superman Returns, I don't really have the energy to fight for an unpopular opinion, so I often just let it slide.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu May 02, 2013 1:13 pm

I liked Superman Returns. Plus, bonus points for Eva Marie Saint.

I also liked the idea of the kid, and accusations that Superman is a "deadbeat dad" because he disappeared for five years leaving Lois to raise a kid he didn't even know existed make me twitchy.

Really? People say that? Silly.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu May 02, 2013 1:23 pm

I liked aspects of Superman Returns, but I'm not a fan of Routh. Actually thats not true. I enjoyed him in Chuck and have enjoyed his comedy work since then. But I didn't find him that compelling. So while I think the movie around him objectively holds up better than the 70s Superman films, I didn't find him nearly as great as Christopher Reeve, or even Dean Cain or the Animated Superman. I think he was placed at a disadvantage by not having much dialogue and a lot of Jesus poses, though.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top