Superman Movies

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Superman Movies

Post  laddical on Thu May 02, 2013 2:13 pm

The "story" of the JLA movie?

I'm calling BS.

One of the talkbackers mentions that it sounds like Patton Oswalt's bit from Parks and Recreation. I think if they want to go that route, there needs to be some Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings crossover. And maybe some Samurai Jack, since that's also a WB property. Then it will start to sound as crazy as Patton Oswalt's Episode 7. For now, it just sounds fake.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu May 02, 2013 3:18 pm

laddical wrote:Though honestly, I think my level of investment might actually be slightly lower than QueenSix's. Which is definitely saying something. I didn't think there was a bigger fan of Superman than me other than - maybe - Jerry Seinfeld. But she gives me pause.

*runs into thread wildly* DID I MENTION THE FILM IS COMING OUT FOUR DAYS AFTER MY BIRTHDAY?? BECAUSE IT IS!! NOW I MUST GO FIND OUT WHAT MARKETING TIE-INS I'M GOING TO BUY!! *runs of thread flailing*

Actually, my whole hearted embracing of all things Superman does give a lot of people pause. And I don't think it's always in the good way but whatever. WHOO! NEW FILM! CAVILL!! CAPSLOCK!!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  UmaOprah on Thu May 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Kiran wrote: I didn't find him nearly as great as Christopher Reeve, or even Dean Cain or the Animated Superman.

Kinda OT, but oh my gosh, Kiran, you reminded me that Dean Cain was super attractive on that show. I've been watching Lois & Clark clips for, like, the last 2 hours. I think I have other thoughts about this show but they're too clouded by his face.

UmaOprah

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 pm

I like Superman Returns, too. I admit it wasn't as action packed as other Superman movies, but I feel like it was trashed more because of overly high expectations than anything else.

I also felt Ang Lee's Hulk wasn't as bad as people made it out to be either.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu May 02, 2013 6:48 pm

I really liked Brandon Routh in Superman Returns. I thought he really brought out the spirit of Superman/Clark Kent. But he didn't make the buzz he might have because the film didn't make anything like the pop culture or financial impact they'd hoped. Whenever I watch it, I always find myself thinking the same things: (1) Kate Bosworth was a terrible Lois, and (2) it didn't have nearly enough light hearted moments to balance out the more dramatic elements and when they did, they do feel a bit forced.

I hate that I have to list Kate Bosworth as something I dislike about the film because I don't want to be hating on an actress or a female character but she was all wrong as Lois. And I think that Clark Kent/Superman gets to really shine as a character when it comes to the Lois & Clark relationship (I'm biased that way but I still give my blessing to Superman and Wonder Woman, let them enjoy their relationship while it lasts. Bless them, they deserve something nice in their lives, don't you think?!) and Lois was just not Lois on screen so there was no real Clark/Lois friendship there (why is she such a cold fish to Clark Kent?) and the film suffered for the lack of that.

It is seven years later and that STILL bothers me!! I'm side-eyeing Bryan Singer constantly because of it. Just for a moment whenever his name pops up online actually but still. SIDE-EYE!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu May 02, 2013 7:17 pm

I got why she was a cold fish (in her eyes he left for years after he slept with her, leaving her with a kid to raise. That'd harden anyone.) But she was WAY too young for the part. She was 22 I think when it was filmed and looked it. That is absolutely ridiculous to be playing a seasoned reporter with a 5 year old and a Pulitzer. She also is not a good actress.

I think her casting had more to do with Kevin Spacey. He had a weird fascination with her and I remember thinking that if it was any older actor but him, I'd assume they were having an affair.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Bless them, they deserve something nice in their lives, don't you think?!

Considering all the other crap that's been landed on their plates (and everyone else's) as part of the New 52, yes.

But while Clark/Diana is one of the (small number of) good things to come out of the New 52, I'm still fuming about the end of the Lane-Kent marriage. Because, like the end of the Parker-Watson marriage, I think it's bullshit that the editor's said it "makes them unrelatable". FUCK THAT NOISE.

Ahem.

Man of Steel looks absolutely terrific and I'm going to stop griping about a two year old editorial edict that will (hopefully) be overturned by another editor in a few years.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu May 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Kiran wrote:I got why she was a cold fish (in her eyes he left for years after he slept with her, leaving her with a kid to raise. That'd harden anyone.) But she was WAY too young for the part. She was 22 I think when it was filmed and looked it. That is absolutely ridiculous to be playing a seasoned reporter with a 5 year old and a Pulitzer. She also is not a good actress.

I think her casting had more to do with Kevin Spacey. He had a weird fascination with her and I remember thinking that if it was any older actor but him, I'd assume they were having an affair.

That explains why she acted that way towards Superman. But to Clark? He'd just gone off travelling for a few years. Why was she so off towards him? "Richard is a pilot, like horror films, blah blah...Clark is, well he's Clark". She's so dismissive. What did he do to her before he left? And why does she ask him for his stapler in that odd way? Jesus, Lois, I worked in a penny pinching office for three years and if we needed a stapler, we went to the stationery cupboard. We didn't eye up the staplers on co-workers desks like they were laced with crack!

Have you seen the behind the scenes documentary about the making of the film? Apart from hiring a documentary maker who gets told by the producer that he thinks they hired the wrong guy for the documentary job and then goes to the boy playing Lois' son and asks him a question about his destiny that makes the child's mother look WTF, it's very interesting. But Bryan Singer chose Kate Bosworth by watching her audition video and then pretty much saying "yeah her. Fine." He doesn't strike me as putting much thought into it. And she really is not a good actress.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu May 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Lois' problem with Clark is my problem with the Salkind films as well - it's the Silver Age relationship. When everyone thought Clark was just some clumsy milquetoast, and Lois in particular was frequently downright nasty to him because he wasn't "a real man like Superman" or some such blather.

John Byrne may have turned into a bit of a schmuck in the intervening three decades, but one of the many things he got *right* about the post-Crisis reboot was making Clark the primary identity, and thus his primary source for interpersonal relationships. Which meant that Lois and he were colleagues, equals, and friends first and foremost and two points on a love triangle second.

Of course, one of the key ways he did that was getting rid of the notion that anyone believed Superman had a secret identity to begin with. With Lois no longer obsessed with "unmasking" Superman and coming across as a major idiot for either failing to make the Clark-Superman connection or making it and then buying whatever superpowered contrivance Superman used to convince her she was mistaken, she became a better friend to Clark.

And then there was his reboot of Lex Luthor into the Perfect '80s Capitalist. Speaking of no one thinking Superman had a secret identity post-Crisis, in the second issue of the reboot, Byrne had Luthor use the LexCorp computer resources to crunch the numbers to figure out what Superman did when he wasn't saving the world and the computer told him, "Superman is Clark Kent." Luthor refused to accept that Superman would reduce himself to living as a mere mortal and that was the last time anyone mentioned Superman having a secret identity for years - until Lois and Clark (not Superman) started dating and Clark *chose* to share the secret with her.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Fri May 03, 2013 12:49 am

I love Superman Returns. I'm frankly still super disappointed that thread was dropped. I agree that I generally enjoy the "Clark is the primary identity" interpretation more but that movie just got the "alien who sacrifices for his adopted people" aspect of the character so well. There are so many little scenes that just are so perfect.

I do love the modern idea that of course no one knows Clark is Superman because who would think Superman would bother walking around in a secret identity?

I will say too that I think Reeve and Routh actually look much better for the part than new guy - he's handsome, but lacks that "smooth untouched statue" look that I think is so fitting for Superman.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri May 03, 2013 5:32 am

My favorite iteration of the secret identity was the Justice League cartoon where they're trying to go incognito and the Flash is reticent to take his mask of in front of the group and Batman just goes "Wally West! Clarke Kent! Bruce Wayne!". It was moot after that.

Jesus, Kate Bosworth. As misbegotten a decision as Jessica Alba as Sue Storm.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 am

I love that scene as well.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sat May 04, 2013 1:05 am

The problem with Superman Returns is not the casting. It's that it's a degree removed from the source. It's a big-budget fanfilm of the Donner movies, and more to the point it's a movie that the maker of it only seems to know the character through the prism of the Donner movies. That's why it's more a weak-sauce copy than a movie in its own right.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat May 04, 2013 3:18 pm

RiverThames wrote:The problem with Superman Returns is not the casting. It's that it's a degree removed from the source. It's a big-budget fanfilm of the Donner movies, and more to the point it's a movie that the maker of it only seems to know the character through the prism of the Donner movies. That's why it's more a weak-sauce copy than a movie in its own right.

Agreed. It also crosses the line from "homage" to "tired retread" with the similarities. Doesn't Lex Luthor have any plans that don't involve owning large amounts of land?
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sat May 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Eris Rising wrote:
RiverThames wrote:The problem with Superman Returns is not the casting. It's that it's a degree removed from the source. It's a big-budget fanfilm of the Donner movies, and more to the point it's a movie that the maker of it only seems to know the character through the prism of the Donner movies. That's why it's more a weak-sauce copy than a movie in its own right.

Agreed. It also crosses the line from "homage" to "tired retread" with the similarities. Doesn't Lex Luthor have any plans that don't involve owning large amounts of land?

It would have worked as a plot device if Lex Luthor had turned out to be Irish. Because of the whole being taken over by Britain/the Famine thing, the Irish psyche is all about owning land, the more the better. Set that film in downtown Galway and everyone would be nodding and agreeing that it made perfect sense and was a good comment on the state of Irish society today.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sun May 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Saw the trailer for reals, all big and gorgeous in the theater. Apparently, I'm in.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 05, 2013 3:22 pm

I still have not seen the latest trailer in theaters. Very sad face.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Sun May 05, 2013 7:37 pm

I saw a pseudo-trailer during the NBA Playoffs and got goosebumps from that. The chances that I'm not seeing this opening night at midnight are growing smaller and smaller.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm

laddical wrote:I still have not seen the latest trailer in theaters. Very sad face.

You didn't get it at IM3?
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Not either time I've seen it.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm

OK, crazy idea struck me, if they ever get their act together on a Justice League movie.

Aquaman. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Am I right or am I right?
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue May 07, 2013 12:37 pm

I can dig it.

So Lena Headey for Mera?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue May 07, 2013 3:13 pm

If you're gonna dig into the GoT cast for a Mera, you'd have to go with Rose Leslie.

Of course, you have to ask yourself, if one was to make a successful JL movie, how deep in the secondary casts do you go? Lois Lane? Alfred? Carol Ferris? Iris West?
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 pm

I still can't stop listening to the trailer music. Just cannot get enough of it.

And then, I started thinking that the structure of it sounded similar to something else and it hit me. Quiet opening, strong build, extreme use of percussion? It's the rebooted Battlestar Galactica theme. I still love both of them, but it made me chuckle a bit.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat May 11, 2013 12:49 am

New one-sheet.

I'll just be over in the corner looping the samples of the score and staring at this poster for the next five weeks.

It reminds me of the classic "You'll Believe a Man Can Fly!" poster from the original 1978 release.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top