Superman Movies

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Superman Movies

Post  Bad Username on Sat May 11, 2013 2:40 am

I love that poster! I've never been a big Superman reader (although I did catch the All-Star Superman line in the trailer that NEVER FAILS TO MAKE ME CRY), but I'm still very excited about Man of Steel.

I also love how in the comments it's pointed out that both of Superman's dads were Robin Hood.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:29 am

I'm really trying to temper my excitement, but seeing interviews with Cavill like this one, plus the awesomeness of all the trailers and I am going to be shocked if this movie isn't one of the best of year.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am

I have no interest in Superman and probably won't see the movie, but I saw the latest trailer before Star Trek and the ten seconds with adoptive-dad Kevin Costner and teenage Clark made me weep buckets. Which makes me hopeful the Superman fans will have all sorts of things to like in this.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:14 am

My step-dad won tickets for my mother and me to go see a special advanced showing of this movie today and we loved it!  And I say this as someone who's generally uninterested in Superman.

Spoiler:
So much fun!  The casting was absolutely perfect.  Cavill was just fantastic.  He played it with real warmth and vulnerability, but in a way that's not at odds with the way he kind of naturally assumed the mantle of a hero.  I liked that he's not at all conflicted about being a hero; he's just does it because it's the right thing to do and because he can.  And it doesn't come across as forced or overbearing.  Michael Shannon was brilliant.  You even feel a little bit (just a tiny, tiny bit) of pity for Zod there at the end.  And I loved what they did with Lois.  She meets him as (proto-)Superman first, and tracks Clark Kent down on her own.  She's not the idiot who's completely incapable of recognizing someone just because they took off their glasses. 

This movie was just all around fun and exciting!

One more minor complaint, which may not be an issue for a lot of people who aren't like me:

Spoiler:
Fucking shaky cams!  Why?  Why are directors so in love with this?  It does NOT create a feeling of immediacy and excitement.  It creates a feeling of violent nausea!  I need to learn to bring dramamine with me to theaters, just in case the movie I happen to be seeing involves shaky cams (I actually dry heaved in the theater during The Hunger Games, my motion sickness was that bad).  This movie isn't nearly as bad as that with just the shaky cams alone, but the big swooping shots and the whirling 360 shots that are clearly there for the 3D viewers almost make up for it in places.  It also probably didn't help that the woman sitting next to me was clearly a heavy smoker who only has a passing acquaintance with her shower.

But that was a pretty minor complaint.  I had a great time, over all.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:09 am

I'm right there with you. It was like the cameraman had Parkinson's.

I think it's the best one since Superman II. Zod is the better movie villain.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 am

Yes, Zod is a great villain.  I also appreciated that

Spoiler:
Snyder didn't feel the need to shoe horn "Kneel before Zod!" into the movie.  *side-eyeing you, JJ Abrams*
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:41 am

Loved it. Felt like some of the emotional beats could have played out a bit longer or more fully like

Spoiler:
Clark's reaction to having to kill Zod... I loved his scream and the way Lois came to him, I just felt like there needed to be more.

Krypton was awesome. Saw a review that questioned an advanced civilization using flying mounts to travel and all I can say is, "Because it's freaking cool!"

Loved the fact that Snyder didn't hammer away at references to previous incarnations . (*also side-eyes JJ Abrmas*) And even the little "in-jokes" that were there weren't really telegraphed, such as the LexCorp logo on a truck or the Wayne Enterprises logo on a satellite.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:25 am

Wouldn't those side-eyes go at Bryan Singer?
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 pm

I enjoyed THE HELL out of the this film. I think the last time I sat through a film so enthralled and following the action with excitement, it was Avengers Assemble. I was afraid that it was going to be a disappointment after the way I'd kind of hyped it up for myself a bit but no. I was not disappointed. Not a bit. And I have to say, I don't see the film as being humourless and dour the way some reviews did. I think that does the film a huge disservice because what the film does have is great heart and humanity. Sure, it's about this super dude who has to kick ass with another super dude and a dudette
Spoiler:
(Loved that Faora dominated the action for a bit by being bad-ass and destroying everything in sight)
but they use the supporting characters so well by casting character actors who bring you into the story through their reactions to what's going on. So I don't need it to be quippy because what I'm getting is a sense of how real people might carry on in this situation. 

Two bits made me feel a bit teary:
Spoiler:
when Lara and Jor-El are putting baby Kal-El into the pod and she's reluctant to do it. I found that very sad. And the part where Jenny is buried under the rubble and Perry is trying to get her out when that terraforming thing is coming towards them and they both just stop and look at one another. I mean, I didn't think they were going to kill off Perry White but still, it was very well done and you could feel the tension and worry there. Nicely done. 

In short, my long term pseudo boyfriend Henry Cavill (or CAVILL as he's known in my house) did not disappoint. I thought he was excellent and he had a great rapport with Lois Lane, who is FINALLY the Lois Lane that I've been hoping for. I liked what they did with her. I liked her determination and her sass and her general Lois-ness. And that ending had me grinning like a loon.

I'm going to see this again. WHEEEEE!!!!!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Him, too. But Abrams sins are fresher.

The new tagging system on forumotion SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

I love that it doesn't feel like they held back on anything for the sequels. I'm looking forward to certain things in the sequel - actual "Lois and Clark" interaction, as opposed to "Lois and Kal" is chief among them - but nothing felt left out just because they were simply "laying groundwork" here. Warners obviously wants a franchise, but it didn't feel like Snyder made a "first in a trilogy" movie.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Singer gets the full on heat vision.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:36 pm

I thought of one thing I would like to see going forward. It felt like gender-swapping Jimmy Olsen was an afterthought,  given how little screentime Jenny got. What I'd like going forward is to see them establish the same level of platonic friendship that Clark has with Jimmy - without treating it like a threat to his romantic relationship with Lois.

And I wonder what Jenny's middle name is. I ordinarily wouldn't care, but since I know Jimmy's is Bartholomew,  I'm curious what they'd feminize that as.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Bartolomea?  That's a real name.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:11 am

I like the trend of superhero movies leaving some of its mythology for the sequels. Not that I've ever been very interested in either Lex Luthor or Jimmy Olsen.

Count me in as glad they dispensed with Lois not being able to see through a pair of glasses. The further nod to Lois' ability from Perry also worked. Donner's references to her being a sensationalist were also fun.

Superman isn't an easy sell to me as say James Bond and this is the first live action Superman I've liked in 30 years. Granted I've seen about 5 minutes of Smallville. Which makes it strange to me the reviews aren't that great.

Cavill acquitted himself well in the role. Struggling with the shadow of Christopher Reeve and being a Brit playing an American icon can't be easy. As much as Connery cast a shadow over subsequent Bonds, the drop off from Reeve was probably even more severe. I can't speak to Welling, but I couldn't watch Dean Cain without wondering "Is he?" and Routh was something of an empty uniform.

So no post credits sequence... I guess they really couldn't. The obvious direction would be Luthor, but that would mean casting him early in a role that demands star power or pulling the Blofeld angle with him (yes another Bond reference!).
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Just took the family to it - they didn't make the midnight show with me. Kids loved it. 9 year old called it the "awesomest movie" of her entire life. Which I won't argue with her over it. But despite my Superman fanboy nature and my love for this movie, the debate still rages whether I would king this over, say, The Avengers.

I kinda love the last two lines so much. I think they may be one of my favorite movie ending bits ever:

Spoiler:
"Welcome to the Planet, Clark."

"Thanks. Happy to be here."

SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:16 am

I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it quite a bit, although I also liked Superman Returns, so I may not be the best judge.  I think Man of Steel is the better film, but I can also understand why some of the reviews have been tough on it.  All the stuff on Kypton and showing Clark growing into his destiny were great.  Subtle and in places really really moving. And then the last forty-five minutes of the movie is VERY different.  I mean, it makes sense given the story, but I can see how some reviewers didn't like the tonal shift.  Plus the fact that Zach Snyder directed it I think is something that more than one reviewer held against the film (unfairly, I would add).

Cavill was great as Superman (he actually has a personality AS Superman!) and Amy Adams was also wonderful as Lois Lane.  I'm so glad the filmmakers didn't screw that up.  Diane Lane and Kevin Costner were also great choices for Martha and Jonathan Kent (although Diane Lane is so gorgeous she looked like SHE could have also been Superman's love interest).  I was actually surprised how many actors showed up that I recognized that I has no idea were in this movie.  I was sitting there going, "Oh look it's Death from Supernatural! Helo!  Toby!  Detective Stabler! That other guy from Dollhouse!"

I also think the twist on the story they've made is quite smart.  I can't wait to go see it again (this time not in 3D)!

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:20 am

The supporting cast had quite a web going on around it. You have Tahmoh Penniket and Harry Lennix, who were also in Dollhouse together. Then you have Allesandro Juliani, who was on BSG with Tahmoh playing in a scene with Richard Schiff, who plays the character (Dr. Emil Hamilton) that Juliani played on Smallville. Lennix was also in The Matrix sequels with Laurence Fishburne. Both of Superman's fathers played Robin Hood previously. Just a lot of strange connections.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:22 pm

We saw it the other night and I said for a movie I liked so much I had a lot of complaints. I think my biggest complaint
Spoiler:
was the last hour could have easily been 30 or 45 minutes. I actually leaned over to my husband at one point and told him I was bored and really wished they would move on
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Another Easter Egg I noted:
Who's that girl?:
General Swanwick's aide-de-camp (the one who notes that Superman is "kind of hot") is Capt. Ferris.  At least, he calls her Captain, but her credit is "Major Carrie Ferris".
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Was
Spoiler:
Carol ever in the military?
 That seems like such an odd and random Easter egg for a Superman movie.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:05 am

Umm.. maybe?

I'm actually a little surprised, given that, that one of the
Spoiler:
fighter pilots in the final bit didn't have some sort of Hal Jordan nod. 
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Well, luckily, this movie was able to break out of the original franchise's shadow by finally introducing moviegoers to..Zod. Hey, at least like, we didn't get the usual henchmen like the big guy and the femme fatale with the Pat Benatar haircut. Well, I mean at least they didn't spend their resources on original characters to steal our hero's thunder this time and instead gave us fan favorites like...Chris Meloni's colonel character. Well, hey, at least it wasn't Superman yet again trying to save countless lives from the villain's plans to irrevocably change the earth's geology...well, hey, at least they didn't give us the usual appearance from Jor El's cyberghost. Well, HEY, at least they didn't just go the usual route of
Spoiler:
Clark losing his dad prematurely.
Well, I mean, it was kind of neat they were inspired by Avatar. Because Krypton and Pandora aren't like, polar opposites or anything.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:57 pm

I wanted to like the movie a lot more than I did. Of course a lot that bugged me might just come off as random nitpicking.

There were way too many flashbacks for me and some of the scenes in the middle felt very disjointed. Like hey, I have an awesome idea of how to frame this scene so let's just get there without it really making much sense.

I did not like seeing Superman
Spoiler:
kill Zod. It just didn't fit the character for me. And wow, way to be more agonized over that one death without thinking once about all the people who were also killed while  they were smacking each othe through buildings. I doubt they were all evacuated and I'm sure some of them landed on people in the street. A lot of the fight scenes kept pulling me out of the movie. And man did both Smallville and Metropolis get jacked up.

Weirdly I felt really bad for
Spoiler:
Emil Hamilton's death. If only he could have gotten luckily thrown out of the plane like Lois. If only he was a love interest.

Henry Cavill somehow managed to look very young at times. Maybe it was the cleanshaven look. At the end he even looked a little like
Spoiler:
Tom Welling when he put on the glasses.

Quick q, so based on the ending does the
Spoiler:
government know that Clark is Superman? They know he's from Smallville.

The bug shapped ships were just so weird that they became a little too distracting.
It felt like gender-swapping Jimmy Olsen was an afterthought,  given how little screentime Jenny got.
ITA. I kept wondering if she was going to do anything at any point but I guess it'll be for the sequel? Of course I couldn't help wonder if she wasn't still Jimmy what would he have done in the movie. Great, you gender-swapped the character. Now do something.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Regarding your first spoiler...

Spoiler:
Canonically speaking, until the New 52 came along, Zod and his lieutenants were the only people Clark had ever killed - and he did it in cold blood using Kryptonite, full on execution style. And it messed him up so completely that he had a psychological breakdown where he adopted a second, more Batman-esque alter ego he wasn't even aware existed. When he realized that, he decided that he could no longer trust himself on Earth and exiled himself to space. He came back, of course, but killing Zod was a defining moment for the character in the 1986 reboot, which this movie drew on very heavily. It was the moment where Clark adopted his no-killing ethos. Zod was never going to give Clark a choice, and while humans in the DC Universe eventually create metahuman prisons, they clearly wouldn't have them at that point, so there's no way, even if Clark could pummel Zod into unconsciousness, that they'd be able to detain him.

As for the property destruction... the only thing I'm willing to pin on Clark is the stuff in Smallville, which has a lot to do with his inexperience, I think. The fight in Metropolis is all on Zod. Clark couldn't just fly off and leave like he did in Superman II because Zod had just announced his intention to hunt down and kill every human being on Earth one by one and let Clark live long enough to watch it all. If Clark left, Zod would have just started slaughtering humans unimpeded, probably starting with Lois. After that point, the major property destruction comes from Zod throwing Clark into buildings, not by any of Clark's actions.

To your last question

Spoiler:
Probably? At least a few people? But it's one of those things that's a bit of a question even in the comics. There are a lot of government agencies who would be extremely interested in such information, and the understanding is usually that if they have figured it out, they keep it to themselves either for their own nefarious purposes or because they have some vested interest in protecting Superman's interests.

As for Skyblade's tirade... most of that is a matter of adapting the source material, which usually involves a lot of the same landmarks. Tonally, design-wise, cinematically, this movie is not a love-letter to Donner like Returns was, which was RiverThames' point.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Right.  Singer's movie showed no knowledge of Superman beyond the Donner movies.  Even his cameo-nods were the same ones from the Donner movie.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top