About our Facebook and LJ groups...? [please read!]

Go down

About our Facebook and LJ groups...? [please read!]

Post  particle_person on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:15 pm

We have a nifty Facebook group for the board here where many people have put their real life name and also their SF alias (which might also be used elsewhere online). That group is currently "open" and visible to the internet at large. I propose we close the group to outside viewers.

In addition, once everything is private (if that's okay with people), I would also like to get rid of the Calendar button up in the toolbar at the top, and I would like to add a button for the Facebook group to facilitate going from here to there. But I don't want there to be a privacy issue, so that has to be taken care of as a precondition. If you don't want a button, speak up about that too! I'm not doing anything until I'm sure people are on board.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Re: About our Facebook and LJ groups...? [please read!]

Post  mayram on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:19 pm

I am definitely in favor of a closed, private group. Since it looks like you have to be added to the group by an administrator, it shouldn't be a problem that it's closed to the public.

No preferences on the button.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, definitely close the group to private. I don't mind so much about the button but I would just wonder about casual guests to the forum having access to it? Worst case scenario, someone is cyber stalking someone and next thing stumbles onto a group where they see their real name.

I'm not trying to drag the idea down, I'm just playing devil's advocate here in the interests of safety.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:57 pm

If it's private, I think (I hope?) we can make the members invisible. Someone not logged in would click the link and FB would give an error. I'd test it of course.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Yeah, I'd prefer to close the FB group. I also feel a little cautious on the button, just because I think we have a pretty large number of registered lurkers (according to the count on the front page, 532 registered users). I mean, it's not like people can't find the FB group now, and if I'm overruled, it's fine, but I myself am not super keen to advertise it necessarily.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:14 pm

I checked FB settings, and you can set a group as Secret (one step beyond Closed), meaning "Only [Facebook] members see the group, who's in it, and what members post." Would you mind registered lurkers knowing that the group exists, if those conditions applied? They could click the button but it would just go to FB's error message.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:23 pm

That seems like a good compromise to me.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:57 am

Dinahmoe changed it to secret for us, so that's taken care of.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Okay, button is there. I tested it by logging into my other Facebook account (for real life people) and clicking the button. It just gives an error message. Also, the button is not visible to guests here (or people who are logged out). The button has a tiny "fb" icon on it that I hope is different enough from Facebook's real icon to not cause problems.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Coming in super late - what do I do if I want to join now that it's invisible? :)

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Ask Dinahmoe to add you! I might be able to also. Pm me your Facebook name.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks! :)

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down