Anne Hathaway

Go down

Anne Hathaway Empty Anne Hathaway

Post  Agent Sculder on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm

She's nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Les Miserables, and is generally considered the prohibitive favorite to win it all, so I figured she should have a topic.

I generally like her, but I have to admit, I'm actually rooting AGAINST her to win. I feel like she wants it SO MUCH, it comes across like she's almost entitled to winning the Oscar, and that just turns me right off, I don't care how good she was in the role. The only time I don't mind actors campaigning is when they're older and/or unlikely to ever get nominated again. In those cases, I can understand it. And I know it makes me a hypocrite because generally I say I always want the best performance to win over anything else, but this year I'm willing to make an exception.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Anne Hathaway Empty Re: Anne Hathaway

Post  mrinsouciance on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:27 pm

While I was impressed with her performance in Les Mis, I think the best work I've seen from her was Rachel Getting Married. There was some indication she could pull off that role from her work in Brokeback Mountain, but she bowled me over with what she did in Rachel.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm

I agree with both of you, completely. If she'd won for Rachel Getting Married, I would have been OK with that. I just wish people won for the actual performance instead of some sense of zeitgeist, which is what it seems to be, more and more.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Rachel Getting Married was mostly a snoozefest for me, but I was absolutely shocked by Anne's performance in that film. I didn't know she really had that in her! I still haven't seen Les Mis, but I'm sure I'll be glad she got nommed once I do.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 pm

I feel like I'm on the opposite side. For a long time I *didn't* like her very much, and I thought Rachel Getting Married was overrated and she overrated in it. But I absolutely adored her in Les Miserables, and her response to Matt Lauer's sexist douchebaggery and her funnyordie video with Samuel L. Jackson put me straight into the "love" camp.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 am

I like her. Mia Thermopolis is all grown up!

Anyway, I've always been impressed with her choices in roles as much as her films. She almost makes the "Disney starlet to respected actress" transition look easy, despite the fact that I can't think of anyone else from the Mouse who's manage to succeed at her level.

I am going to be as unsurprised by her win at the Oscars as I was by her nomination today. (That said, the inevitability is kind of off-putting.)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm

I am going to be as unsurprised by her win at the Oscars as I was by her nomination today. (That said, the inevitability is kind of off-putting.)

Wasn't she supposedly a lock for Rachel Getting Married too, though? I remember that being the buzz at that time and then she didn't end up winning.

I thought she was really good in that, but I was more impressed with Rosemarie DeWitt in that movie.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm

mayram wrote:Wasn't she supposedly a lock for Rachel Getting Married too, though? I remember that being the buzz at that time and then she didn't end up winning.

Anne was nominated the year Kate Winslet won for The Reader. I think any buzz Anne had was more if there was going to be a surprise non-Kate winner, it would be Anne.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Plus, Meryl Streep in Doubt. But I thought it was more like Anne getting nominated for such a small movie, though that year all the BA nominees except for Doubt were small movies was a "win" in and of itself.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 am

Poubelle wrote:

I like her, as well, but there is something about the winning for being Anne Hathaway inevitability that is off-putting. Even though she was very good in Les Mis and I've only seen Fields' competing performance, I dunno. It's kind of like Sandra Bullock's march to Oscar (although Les Mis was better than the Blind Side).

That said, I would totally watch a Cat Woman film with her in the role (But not directed but Christopher Nolan).
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:44 am

Hathaway's inevitable win doesn't bother me any more or less than the inevitable wins of Octavia Spencer, Melissa Leo, Mo'Nique, Penelope Cruz, and especially Jennifer Hudson before her. I dunno, I feel like the Oscars in general have gotten extremely predictable and every year there are plenty of inevitable wins, and this year the sure locks for awards just happen to be in the Actor and Supporting Actress categories. I think this year is actually less predictable than years past and that the Actress and Supporting Actor categories are still competitive enough to have some surprises, so I'm okay with the other two acting categories being locks.

And no Oscar campaign can be as desperate as this.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:08 am

I'll give Melissa Leo a break. Different strokes. She's an eccentric, cranky woman in her 50s who played the mother of a man 12 years her junior and received less support from her studio for her nomination than pubescent Hailey Steinfeld was from hers, and thought she had to make a splash for herself to get the award. And it worked, even if she did it with posters seemingly Photoshopped by her 13-year-old nephew.

Anne Hathaway, though, is Trying Way Too Hard. She's attractive, intelligent, talented, hard-working, vulnerable, honest and respectful of her peers and elders. Her tribute to Sally Field was lovely. But, she can be hard to take. There's a whiff of self-righteousness and neediness and pride that rankles. In a similar manner to how fellow good citizens Natalie Portman and Kate Winslet annoy the shit out of me, that element of self-indulgent sanctimoniousness that demands the public take what she is selling Very Seriously negates the fact that she's probably a decent person and tips her to unlikeable whenever I get too large a dose of her. Hollywood loves her, though.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:13 am

I think she's a talented actress, but her speech last night typified everything that makes her annoying to me.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:34 pm

In a similar manner to how fellow good citizens Natalie Portman and Kate Winslet annoy the shit out of me, that element of self-indulgent sanctimoniousness that demands the public take what she is selling Very Seriously negates the fact that she's probably a decent person and tips her to unlikeable whenever I get too large a dose of her.

Totally agree.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:21 pm

ActonBell wrote:I think she's a talented actress, but her speech last night typified everything that makes her annoying to me.

I said last night after she hijacked the mic when the movie won the Musical Award that Anne is the friend you like, but on every evening out you have to lean over about 3/4 of the way through the night, pat her on the arm, and say, "OK honey, time to calm down."
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 pm

The hijacking of the mic was very uncool. The Les Mis producers will likely not win anything else for the rest of awards season. Let them have their moment.

It's bizarre to me how she can be such a good actress onscreen, but she's totally incapable of sounding unrehearsed and natural off-screen. For me, whether it was fake or not, I think Portman had a word vomit quality that made her sound more genuine. And Winslet is just so generally over exuberant and ~passionate~ about everything that her speeches were just more of the same. Even Julia and her lectures to the "stick man" came across as more off the cuff and her true bitchy self coming through, not a total act that she'd been rehearsing in her bathroom mirror all afternoon.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:25 pm

swsa wrote:The hijacking of the mic was very uncool. The Les Mis producers will likely not win anything else for the rest of awards season. Let them have their moment.

It's bizarre to me how she can be such a good actress onscreen, but she's totally incapable of sounding unrehearsed and natural off-screen.

Yeah, I think that the 'rehearsed' quality of her speeches is what bugs. It's not that I don't think she's genuine, but she is way more natural and likeable in character than in acceptance speeches.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Did anyone notice the look that Hugh Jackman's wife gave him when Anne won? It was totally "oh here we go!" look.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  midnight radio on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Someone on Go Fug Yourself said that she's like THAT girl from drama club: the loud one that always has to star, and generally always has to be the center of attention. I'm mostly Hathaway-neutral, though I lean toward liking her, but from her behavior at the Globes that description seems pretty apt.

midnight radio

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

midnight radio wrote:Someone on Go Fug Yourself said that she's like THAT girl from drama club: the loud one that always has to star, and generally always has to be the center of attention. I'm mostly Hathaway-neutral, though I lean toward liking her, but from her behavior at the Globes that description seems pretty apt.

Anne Hathaway is Rachel Berry. Yeah, I can totally see that. I like her, but yeah.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Thing is, I don't think she's always been like this. Only since all the Les Miz hype went into overdrive did she start buying into her own press. I hold out hope that once this awards season is over she'll go back to being the seemingly nice, if a little spastic, pleasant person she was before all this happened. Because if she turns into another holier-than-thou Julia Roberts or Gwyneth Paltrow I will weep.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:16 am

maxell131313 wrote:Thing is, I don't think she's always been like this. Only since all the Les Miz hype went into overdrive did she start buying into her own press.
I never noticed a desperate/needy vibe to her before. Maybe I just don't watch enough of her interviews. Now that I think about it, I don't really watch many of her interviews. She's somebody that I like in movies but don't seek out outside of those movies. The only Les Mis press I saw her do was that interview where she shut down Matt Lauer after he got creepy about that up the skirt paparazzi shot, which was awesome. But dude, last night? I totally get it now. I liked her shout-out to Sally Field, but homegirl was on overdrive. When she went up to the mic the second time, I was literally like, "No, no, no, stop, this is so embarrassing, no." I hope she tones it down soon, because I'd like to keep liking her.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 am

She came across well on the Daily Show (mostly talking about filming "I Dreamed A Dream"--apparently, Hooper had her try one take inside a coffin), but it helps that Jon Stewart tends to go really soft in interviews, especially with non-political folks.

Even if she doesn't tone it down, she'll probably a lot less omnipresent once the awards season is over. That's what helps me deal with Julia Roberts and Paltrow.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down