Romance Novels

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Romance Novels

Post  Algae on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:54 am

I haven't read a lot of Bertrice Small, but that one sounds interesting. I usually appreciate her books for just how much happens and how crazy it all is.

I have to plug a recommendation for my latest favorite. Based on a SBTB review, I read The Hating Game by Sally Thorne recently. I loved it. It's competent co-workers, enemies to lovers, opposites attract tropes in full and I loved every second of it. It's not a perfect book, but it perfectly fit me and I'm trying to convince others they need to read it, too.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:13 pm

The Hating Game, OMG! I bought it late at night on Kobo (as one does) and then stayed up to read it (as one does but really shouldn't). Such a good book! I was engrossed pretty much from the start and yes, it was because of a Smart Bitches rec.

I was sorry when the book ended and I had to part with the characters. Really enjoyed it. It was very much the kind of read I'd needed because I have other books that I've been dipping in and out of but sometimes a girl just needs a romance story to curl up with and enjoy.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:58 am

I am reading Outlander. I have always been reading Outlander. p.650/800000000.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:14 pm

particle_person wrote:I am reading Outlander. I have always been reading Outlander. p.650/800000000.

Oh no, and those books just get longer and the need for Gabaldon to have an editor becomes more evident as the series goes on.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Yeah, I found the first book a really, reall hard slog because there was just SO. MUCH. DETAIL. which ironically is what my mum loves about the series. I gave the second one a try, and while I found it more interesting from the get go, I still found it a struggle to read and a struggle to even want to read it, so I figured that was a sign to give up on them for now.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 am

I *love* the Outlander books! Especially all the details! <g>

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:42 pm

I don't mind the detail so much but I would be the kind of person who after a while just skips ahead to the action or dialogue. I read the first four (I think) but Clare gets beaten up or attacked so much and something always happens to Jaime like a soap opera book after book, I had to stop reading. I mean, I get it, we're not going to be waiting to see a series 7 on TV where they sit at home and talk about the weather but I found it hard going.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:14 pm

I have a friend who calls it "the Perils of Pauline in plaid" which I think pretty well nails it. The villains all but twirl their mustaches while Claire is tied to the yet-to-be-imagined railroad tracks.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:13 am

The perils of Pauline in plaid. That's brilliant. I love it.

A lot of what some fans crib about when it comes to the TV show is what draws me to it. I'm glad they cut a lot of extraneous details or change things when it's necessary filming or story wise. If they were doing a super faithful adaptation, they'd probably still be filming season one.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:43 am

So far my favorite moment of the book is this:
On the crest of a Scottish hill, the night wind of an autumn storm whipping my hair and skirts like the sheets of a banshee, I turned my face to the shadowed skies and prepared to prophesy.

"Plant potatoes," I said.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Has anyone read the "This Man" series by Jodi Ellen Malpas? A friend loaned me the "One Night" series by the same author and it was typical rich guy, young woman, instant connection OMG, hot sex, more hot sex, misunderstandings, break up, make up hot sex, etc. Except for me there's a lot of using sex as a weapon and the guy being a controlling asshole with a tendency towards violence but hey he has issues also instant connection and hot sex so of course she stays in the relationship even though she spends some of her time afraid to speak in case she makes him mad.

So book 1 in the This Man series was a euro on Kobo and I got it out of curiosity and it turns out that it was self published at first and it kind of shows because the guy is a raging controlling scary guy (at one point, he carries his "beloved" out of her place of work by slinging her over his shoulder in the middle of the day. And she gets cross but he kisses her and they have that instant connection so she puts up with it. She also misses some serious red flags about him because he's manipulating her with sex). What I've seen about it on Good Reads is mostly positive as in people lurve the alpha male and think that she's the crazy one and that he could do better. To each their own I suppose but I also side-eye some of those commentators.

What finally gets her to break up with him at the end of Book 1 and mean it (they've had a few breakups, one in particular where she says to him to stay away from her and he does and then she gets all mopey and wondering how he could leave her that easily? Turns out he's only gone four days but they're missing the hot sex so it apparently feels like an eternity. I skipped some of the sex parts and some of the DRAMA LLAMA relationship they were having to get to the fucking end), oh yeah, my point - what gets her to break up with him is
spoilered because this is a BIG REVEAL in the book:
finding out that the place she's interior decorating for him is actually his sex club. Like, he's possessive, tries to beat up her ex-boyfriend, wants sex on demand but that's what drives her away

It also has a bit of a WTF cliffhanger-esque ending which is straight out of soap opera town.

Kudos to anyone who's making their money and their name from writing these kinds of books (except for EL James, she can piss right off), but I'm very over the possessive over sexed billionaires and the poor girls who end up loving them and having to put up with their shit. I can see why this story would be appealing but the thought of all that hassle and drama would just tire me out.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:18 pm

QueenSix wrote:The perils of Pauline in plaid. That's brilliant. I love it.

A lot of what some fans crib about when it comes to the TV show is what draws me to it. I'm glad they cut a lot of extraneous details or change things when it's necessary filming or story wise. If they were doing a super faithful adaptation, they'd probably still be filming season one.

Yeah, some fans were complaining there wasn't enough intimacy between Jamie and Claire in season 2. I mean, I kinda get it, I guess, but I don't remember watching the season and thinking "wow Jamie and Claire seem aren't passionate with each other" at any point.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:07 am

QueenSix wrote:The Hating Game, OMG! I bought it late at night on Kobo (as one does) and then stayed up to read it (as one does but really shouldn't). Such a good book! I was engrossed pretty much from the start and yes, it was because of a Smart Bitches rec.

I was sorry when the book ended and I had to part with the characters. Really enjoyed it. It was very much the kind of read I'd needed because I have other books that I've been dipping in and out of but sometimes a girl just needs a romance story to curl up with and enjoy.

I so want to thank you for this recommendation, QueenSix! I downloaded a sample of it when I read your review, but only got around to finally reading it this weekend. OMG indeed! I absolutely loved it -- I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed it, but your words pretty much say it all for me. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Isn't it a delight?! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Jude!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:36 pm

I bought Beautiful Wreck by Larissa Brown on Kobo a few weeks ago because it was rec'd on Smart Bitches and I liked the sound of it. Turns out I really enjoyed reading it too because it turned out to be the kind of book that I started on Sunday and finished this morning in the small hours. As I seem to do. It's a slow burn time travel romance but the world building is very detailed and normally I wouldn't care for it but it really worked for me in this instance. The main character Ginn is quite reserved in her own world so it makes sense that she's not exactly outgoing in her new world either so her describing what she's doing and what's going on around her is not annoying (because sometimes I do find the first person narrative gives me the right royal pip).

I was sorry when it ended, I cannot lie. If you're not into slow stories because her and the hero spend the best part of a year not declaring their feelings - they ain't fast movers because of Reasons - then you might not stick with it. But as an antidote to all the crap going on in the world right now, it was just the ticket.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:48 pm

QueenSix wrote:I bought Beautiful Wreck by Larissa Brown on Kobo a few weeks ago because it was rec'd on Smart Bitches and I liked the sound of it. Turns out I really enjoyed reading it too because it turned out to be the kind of book that I started on Sunday and finished this morning in the small hours. As I seem to do. It's a slow burn time travel romance but the world building is very detailed and normally I wouldn't care for it but it really worked for me in this instance. The main character Ginn is quite reserved in her own world so it makes sense that she's not exactly outgoing in her new world either so her describing what she's doing and what's going on around her is not annoying (because sometimes I do find the first person narrative gives me the right royal pip).

I was sorry when it ended, I cannot lie. If you're not into slow stories because her and the hero spend the best part of a year not declaring their feelings  - they ain't fast movers because of Reasons - then you might not stick with it. But as an antidote to all the crap going on in the world right now, it was just the ticket.

Thanks for the rec queensix! I'm gonna check it out.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:55 pm

QueenSix wrote:I bought Beautiful Wreck by Larissa Brown on Kobo a few weeks ago because it was rec'd on Smart Bitches and I liked the sound of it. Turns out I really enjoyed reading it too because it turned out to be the kind of book that I started on Sunday and finished this morning in the small hours. As I seem to do. It's a slow burn time travel romance but the world building is very detailed and normally I wouldn't care for it but it really worked for me in this instance. The main character Ginn is quite reserved in her own world so it makes sense that she's not exactly outgoing in her new world either so her describing what she's doing and what's going on around her is not annoying (because sometimes I do find the first person narrative gives me the right royal pip).

I was sorry when it ended, I cannot lie. If you're not into slow stories because her and the hero spend the best part of a year not declaring their feelings  - they ain't fast movers because of Reasons - then you might not stick with it. But as an antidote to all the crap going on in the world right now, it was just the ticket.

I read it - it was okay. Although if I hadn't read one of the reviews I think I would have been super confused at the beginning of the book. I don't mind that they didn't reveal their feelings right away, I think the book felt kind of plodding at times to me because of what you said, how she was describing everything around her, but I think mostly because they were in short sentences. But everytime I was kinda losing my interest, it would interest me again. And I liked it enough that I'm going to check out the sequel.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top