Possible hacking attempt?

Go down

Possible hacking attempt?

Post  particle_person on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:44 pm

At least two people have reported seeing a message reading "The maximum number of 20 login attempts has been exceeded. You are not allowed to login for the next 10 minutes. Each new try will put back the duration of your banishment."

It's possible someone is trying to hack us. I don't actually know that, but if you haven't changed your SF password in a long time (or ever...) today might be a good day.

Please leave me a note on this thread if you got the warning. I'm curious how widespread it is.

Last edited by particle_person on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible hacking attempt?

Post  Sheli on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 pm

I don't think it's an attempt at hacking, unless it's a Forumotion-wide hacking. Per their support forums, many of their users are having the exact same problem, across many hosted boards. I am going to hope it's a simple Forumotion server issue and not another board exploding on us!

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 pm

*nod* There was one comment in there saying the problem had been fixed though.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  anni on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I didn't get that login error, but twice in the last weeks I had problems with opening links from messages on the board, and a couple of times with those bad links I got some malware alert - I don't know if that can be related, or even brought up before but I thought I'd mention...

anni

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Hm, noted. Problem could also be with those links specifically. There is a kind of attack where a third party redirects links through their server for nefarious purposes. Also check your own computer if you can.

If anyone else gets this, chime in.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  subie5 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:27 pm

I've been getting Malware Alerts when logging into Snarkfest. It has since gone away, but just wanted to let you know about these alerts.

subie5

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Was it with Chrome? That seems to be the one that's making noise about malware. (We don't know if it's a real issue or not.)

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  subie5 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Yes its with Chrome.

subie5

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Chrome has been doing that to me regardless of the page I'm accessing, not just Snarkfest.
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:39 pm

I know Safari has malware detection too, but so far it's not complaining. Of course maybe the Snarkfest virus is just too sneaky, but the eagle eyes of Google have spotted it. Anyhow, if you actually get a virus that you think can be traced to SF, we will definitely report it, but so far I'm thinking this is Chrome being a little oversensitive.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 pm

The Project Rungay guys posted something on Facebook earlier today that read, "Not sure what's going on with Chrome but we're getting "DANGER: Malware ahead!" on nearly every page we visit." Sounds like the problem is with Chrome somehow, though I have no expertise in this sort of thing.
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Yeah, I've seen that otherwhere about Chrome as well. Seems like a browser issue as opposed to an issue with specific sites.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down