Hannibal

Page 21 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hannibal

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Thank the lord for Hettienne Park, seriously. I also really appreciated that post.

I've found Bryan Fuller mostly delightful -- he can't have known how people were going to be reacting to the idea of Bev's death when he did that interview. Mostly I like his irreverent "MUAHAHAHA WE MURDER EVERYONE YOU LOVE AND ROLL AROUND IN THEIR PRETEND GUTS" stuff, but it was SUPER not the right moment for it (again, he couldn't have known) and yeah, the "it's all in the service of the manfeelings of the important man characters" also didn't come off great. Things seem to be settling down though.

Also, how you feel about Hannibal vs. Dracula is a little how I feel when people got upset with a lack of continuity/mytharc sense-making on Lost. I was like "HELLO LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO A LITTLE SHOW CALLED THE X-FILES. You will never complain about continuity or things not being resolved EVER AGAIN."

I am NOT excited for shipper drama. Hee.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Mostly I like his irreverent "MUAHAHAHA WE MURDER EVERYONE YOU LOVE AND ROLL AROUND IN THEIR PRETEND GUTS" stuff, but it was SUPER not the right moment for it (again, he couldn't have known)

I loved that he described the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake as a "nerdy guy who’s out traveling with his sister when they meet Leatherface and have that adventure", but talking about Beverly that way was going to upset some of the fans. I knew the backlash was bound to happen at some point -- when I was reading the posts last summer about Bryan Fuller being the best showrunner ever and how everyone else should take notes from him, that's just setting him up for a fall. No one is going to get things right 100% of the time.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:Also, how you feel about Hannibal vs. Dracula is a little how I feel when people got upset with a lack of continuity/mytharc sense-making on Lost. I was like "HELLO LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO A LITTLE SHOW CALLED THE X-FILES. You will never complain about continuity or things not being resolved EVER AGAIN."

Given that The X-Files was the last show I deeply loved before I started watching Lost and allowed myself to love again--yeah, that might also explain my patience with Lost. We're on the same page on that one.

Instant Monkeys wrote:I've found Bryan Fuller mostly delightful -- he can't have known how people were going to be reacting to the idea of Bev's death when he did that interview. Mostly I like his irreverent "MUAHAHAHA WE MURDER EVERYONE YOU LOVE AND ROLL AROUND IN THEIR PRETEND GUTS" stuff, but it was SUPER not the right moment for it (again, he couldn't have known)
ActonBell wrote:I loved that he described the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake as a "nerdy guy who’s out traveling with his sister when they meet Leatherface and have that adventure", but talking about Beverly that way was going to upset some of the fans.

I love that he truly enjoys the horror genre, while also having a pretty good idea of what horror needs to be in order to continue being fun and "purple" and "operatic," as he puts it. Like, the way Beverly's tableau was handled is actually what needed to happen for us to be able to cope with it, as opposed to some really grimdark/gritty, torture-y, metaphorically or literally rape-y attack scene. It needed to be something over-the-top and physically implausible and Murder Wizard-y and larger-than-life metaphorical in a way that seemed oddly respectful, instead of "mundane horrors that actually happen to victimized women." Whereas Dracula gave me goddamn nightmares.

As far as shipper drama goes--I LOST MY MIND on Tumblr the other day because some Hannigram shipper (note: Hannigram itself is fine and I know a lot of very nice, rational Hannigram shippers) sent someone an ask complaining about the possibility of Clarice eventually showing up and ~getting in the way~ because she is A GENERIC CHARACTER and Alana was already a sufficient amount of ladyness for one show and I MELTED DOWN. And then it showed up on my dash a second time and I lost it AGAIN.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:42 pm

PrincessCleo wrote:As far as shipper drama goes--I LOST MY MIND on Tumblr the other day because some Hannigram shipper (note: Hannigram itself is fine and I know a lot of very nice, rational Hannigram shippers) sent someone an ask complaining about the possibility of Clarice eventually showing up and ~getting in the way~ because she is A GENERIC CHARACTER and Alana was already a sufficient amount of ladyness for one show and I MELTED DOWN. And then it showed up on my dash a second time and I lost it AGAIN.
In the most delightful way, I might add.

SO! Tomorrow night! Are we ready for a Hannibal sex scene, people?

Last edited by Lily Rose on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 pm

No, I am firmly in DO NOT WANT territory re: Fancy Cannibal getting his swerve on.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:13 pm

It's so funny, because I keep seeing a huge divide on the sex scene issue, but there are so many different reasons for it. Don't want to see the character in that kind of situation at all, don't want to see it with someone other than Clarice, don't want to see it with someone other than Will, don't want the other person (is that a spoiler?) involved for her own sake--I've never actually been this involved in a fandom itself, and I've never seen ship wars from the inside before, it's wild.
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm all in, but I have a fairly well documented sadistic streak towards the characters on this show. I want to see allllll the emotionally traumatizing things happen, and if that happens to involve naked hot people, so be it.

Logically, I can agree with most of the reservations people have...but naked hot people making TERRIBLE life choices!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:05 pm

This is one of those situations where I'm not sure why shippers of any stripe would be upset yet -- we don't know what really is going on in that scene until it airs, and if it is real what the motivations are.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Wait, SEX? What the hell did I miss?
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:13 pm

In the previews for tonight's episode, they showed what sure as hell looked like a Hannibal and Alana sex scene. We'll have to see how it plays out. It could be some kind of fake-out, like someone's nightmare/fantasy or something. (Note: I doubt it. I think it's real. But I've given up trying to predict this show.)

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:06 am

WELLLLLLL SHIT.

Yeah, couple instances of "WELL SHIT" there.

WHY DO I WATCH THIS SHOW AGAIN, IT'S SUPER DISGUSTING AND HORRIBLE. (and awesome)
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:30 am

This show is completely insane. Just batshit from beginning to end. I love it, but eeeeeesh.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:39 am

I would love to know if Standards & Practices had any notes about that scene.  I was yelling quite vociferously during that entire exchange (something I try not to do because I want to hear the dialogue) because I just could not watch THAT and be silent.

The throw away line about the census taker was GOLD, and I can't believe Frederick F'ing Chilton got the "Hannibal the Cannibal" line.  Although I must say, I really do love Raul Esparza in the role.  His reaction to the food at the dinner party was AWESOME.

Speaking of which, OMG it all looked so delicious!  And then thanks to events later in the show, I may have lost my taste for roast pork for a while.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:54 pm

I can't believe Frederick F'ing Chilton got the "Hannibal the Cannibal" line. Although I must say, I really do love Raul Esparza in the role. His reaction to the food at the dinner party was AWESOME.

Raul Esparza is so good I was just loving every Chilton scene in this episode. Chilton's expressions at the dinner party were hilarious.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:16 pm

It's almost sad we know he gets et at the end of SotL, because you know TV Hannibal would have devised an amusingly horrific ending for him.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45 am

I can't believe he made Gideon eat his own leg. I mean, I can, but GAH!

I turned to my husband at the beginning of the episode and said, "I wonder who's going to feel dumber about Hannibal when this is all said and done: Jack or Alana?" Well, I guess this episode answered that. Poor Alana. How do you come back from THAT?

I hate that there is a week between episodes. I wanna know what happeeeeeeeeeeeeeenssssss.[/whine]
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Aaron Abrams just favorited a tweet of mine. I can die happy now. (He plays Zeller on the show and he's a freaking DELIGHT on Twitter.)

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Hee!

I will never, ever forgive this show for making me care about Frederick Chilton. Goddammit.
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:32 pm

CHILTON. Frederick Freaking Chilton. I don't even know how they did it, other than Raul Esparza's natural adorableness.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:33 am

OK, so that just happened. I have to say, I am STUNNED. I seriously did not see that one coming. I never thought I would say it, but I am going to miss that smarmy, unethical psychiatrist SO MUCH.

I have to say, I am REALLY starting to wonder what the hell Bryan Fuller is thinking here. Is he thinking he may not get a third season so he's going for broke, and screw canon? Or does he really have a plan in mind?

Anyone up for a road trip to Toronto? Because I need answers, even though I have been trying SO hard to stay spoiler free.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  spidey_88 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:25 am

My love for Raul is long documented, so I'm thrilled that he got more character development in this episode. However, holy crap, I cannot believe that they just took that turn. With the prevalent rumor that Fuller was planning to do
Spoiler:
Red Dragon
next season, I'm concern at how off-canon we've gone.
spidey_88
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 am

Without posting any spoilers, I am very confident that Fuller knows exactly what he is doing, and he's said multiple times that he has at least a 7 year plan. Allowing for the changing availability of actors, I think he is enjoying the HELL out playing with the themes and ideas of the books without feeling he needs to strictly adhere to them. Which is what makes it interesting in my opinion - it elevates it above the humdrum movies (SOTL excepted) that were stricter retellings and makes Hannibal its own thing, its own art.

You guys, I am so devastated. Not about Chilton. Well, a little about Chilton. But no. About ALANA. There's so much anger and dislike surging around her character and the way she's being written now, and I just want to grab a bullhorn and put everyone on blast that she is the ONLY person on the show who is still legitimately trusting and trying to do the right thing. Yes, she's wrong, about everything. But she doesn't know that! She's known Hannibal for YEARS, many years. He was her teacher, her mentor, her friend. She knew him before Will, before Jack, before she was a criminal psychologist, before any of this.

Hannibal has messed with everyone else on the show from the start (messed with Jack before he even knew him), but he's apparently left Alana mostly alone, until recently (and still, he's not messing with her, not really. He's using her to mess with Will). And they had the kind of relationship where she could show up at his house after hours, demand a beer, and expect to be treated with affection. She is not at fault here, the situation is. And I know it's frustrating to see her be so blind, but she was blind with affection for Will, too, until he tried to kill someone she cared about. She fought for Will for MONTHS, when no one else would, not even Hannibal was trying to get him out when Alana was still trying to free him. BECAUSE SHE'S A GOOD AND CARING PERSON WHO CANNOT IMAGINE THAT SOMETHING LIKE HANNIBAL EXISTS. She doesn't know she's in a show called "Hannibal."

I'm sorry, that sort of got away from me. I HAVE ALANA BLOOM FEELINGS, OK.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:25 am

Lily Rose wrote: She fought for Will for MONTHS, when no one else would, not even Hannibal was trying to get him out when Alana was still trying to free him. BECAUSE SHE'S A GOOD AND CARING PERSON WHO CANNOT IMAGINE THAT SOMETHING LIKE HANNIBAL EXISTS. She doesn't know she's in a show called "Hannibal."

I'm sorry, that sort of got away from me. I HAVE ALANA BLOOM FEELINGS, OK.
Aw, I'm with you, I don't think she's at fault, I just wish she knew she was in a show about a cannibal, and I wish she wouldn't keep interviewing people she has actually slept with, and I wish Jack had some common sense. Jack has no common sense. Jack chases murderer psychologists (or so he believes) in the woods with no backup. Jack should not be letting Alana interview people he KNOWS she sleeps with sometimes. Jack should not be letting torture victims with guns be alone with alleged torturers. Jack is the worst at helping, tbh.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Lily Rose wrote:I'm sorry, that sort of got away from me. I HAVE ALANA BLOOM FEELINGS, OK.

I have a lot of sympathy for her as well. She's the one person who has known Hannibal the longest, and it makes sense that she trusts him above all others. Her reasons for not trusting Will any longer also make perfect sense; he tried to kill a person she cares about. Then throw in the traumas she's personally experienced in the last couple seasons (including seeing Hannibal nearly die and Chilton getting shot), her admission she's not in therapy, it makes sense that right now her judgment is not the greatest. What annoys me most is that she doesn't seem to find it odd that so many people who know Hannibal have ended up dead or seriously wounded. But I can fanwank that's more a recent occurence.

At least she got herself a cute doggie.

I can only imagine how epic her reaction is going to be when she can't deny what Hannibal is and how he used her.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:23 pm

The thing is, Bryan Fuller replied to like a MILLION people on Twitter last night hinting that Chilton's not done for, and Tumblr screencapped that moment like it was from the Zapruder film. It seems like a season one Gideon thing where they can bring him back at will. Which means--is this not our third death? Are we gonna end up losing someone else? How many deaths were there supposed to be?

The other thing is--I wrote this whole thing at the end of the "Takiawase" recap about how Beverly needed to go into the basement to cope with the "break" in her own reality, that one colleague, then a different colleague, was apparently a serial killer working beside her the whole time. I think Alana's kind of doing the opposite--refusing to acknowledge a potential break in her reality, because the deception has been going on for YEARS with her, and she just can't accept it. Which I find totally understandable. Like, I'm tempted to retell the story of the show from her perspective in like a paragraph with pictures of Hannibal being all charming and floppy-haired at her, to show how completely ridiculous "Hannibal is the Chesapeake Ripper" sounds from her POV.
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top