Old Hollywood

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Old Hollywood

Post  Poubelle on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Kiran wrote:that "If you don't love me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" quote,
I feel like pointing out that she never, ever said that. And it doesn't sound like her, at all. And it's a stupid quote.

(I like Marilyn--she's in my all-time favorite Hollywood movie, Some Like It Hot, and in general I think she was extremely talented, especially at comedy, and a lot of her actual work/talent gets lost in the bombshell image. I mean, she also had serious issues and I can understand totally why you wouldn't want to work with her, but she got to be a star for a reason. And I think Hollywood/the public actively wants stars who are troubled, or at least a few of them--plenty of perfectly nice, skillful actors get branded as "boring," it seems.)

I feel weird comparing the two Hepburns because they're so different. We can have both, right? I remember being totally confused as a kid when I finally figured out they weren't related at all. (See also: Billy and Gene Wilder. Why I was confused that people with the same last name would not be related when my own last name is just a notch less common than Smith, I have no idea.)

I still think the juiciest story to come out of classic Hollywood--actually, probably the juiciest gossip to come out of Hollywood, ever--is Loretta Young adopting her own daughter. It's also easily one of the saddest stories, and one of the many, many reasons I'm glad I don't have to live back then.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Did Clark Gable ever try to be there for his daughter? I know he visited her when she was a teenager, but did Young keep him away, or was that his choice?

On a completely shallow note, though, Clark Gable is smokin' hot. I can't blame Young too much, because I would hit that in a second.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Poubelle wrote:I still think the juiciest story to come out of classic Hollywood--actually, probably the juiciest gossip to come out of Hollywood, ever--is Loretta Young adopting her own daughter. It's also easily one of the saddest stories, and one of the many, many reasons I'm glad I don't have to live back then.
IKR? I wonder if other stars in the era did the same thing but it was never acknowledged openly. Even with current stars, there have been theories about Kelly Rowland being Matthew Knowles' biological daughter and the same Nicole Richie with Lionel. Certainly, it's far easier for a man to secretly father a child than for a woman to hide a pregnancy and birth.

Loretta Young married again when her daughter was a toddler and Judy Lewis went through most of her life with his name. Her stepfather never formally adopted her, because going through the legal procedures would have alerted him to the fact that Loretta didn't really adopt the child, either. Loretta just said she'd adopted a baby and no one really looked into it beyond that. I guess pretending the baby had been abandoned by a mystery woman, with Loretta swooping in to legally adopt her for real, would've been too much of a ruse to keep up.

Last edited by Arabella on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Poubelle wrote:
I feel weird comparing the two Hepburns because they're so different. We can have both, right? I remember being totally confused as a kid when I finally figured out they weren't related at all. (See also: Billy and Gene Wilder. Why I was confused that people with the same last name would not be related when my own last name is just a notch less common than Smith, I have no idea.)
I totally did not know that. I always thought the were sisters.

Snarkfest. The more you know.....
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Every time I read or hear anything about Adam Baldwin, I have to remind myself that he's not a Baldwin brother.

Speaking of Loretta Young's daughter, did she really find out her paternity when some kid on the playground pointed out her sticky-out Clark Gable ears? Or is that just a story?

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:25 pm

We can totally have both! I was just making that comparison because its made a lot. I enjoy both, I just found Audrey Hepburn's life, particularly her early life and her later UNICEF work, more fascinating.

I think Gable was able to visit his daughter once but Loretta Young did NOT want anyone finding out. She was kind of horrible. Total right wing, did not want anything tarnishing her "Has a swear jar on set!" image. Not that Clark Gable was an angel, far from it, but Loretta Young always came off as someone I would not wanna be stuck in an elevator with.

From what I understand Judy Lewis figured it out later in life and put two and two together with that visit she had with Clark Gable when she was a teenager and confronted Loretta. I think Loretta did make her have a hair cut that covered her ears though.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:59 pm

I just read The Fixers by EJ Fleming and it's mentioned that Judy Lewis was always photographed with a hat on or with her hair covering her ears, specifically so no one would "know". It was a fun read read, allegedly about Howard Strickland and Eddie Mannix, MGM's publicity men, but mostly just about the all the old MGM scandals they had to cover up. Lots of salacious stuff and much more believable than Scotty Bowers' Full Service.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Judy Lewis wrote a book about her life called Uncommon Knowledge that goes into her parentage. Here's what her Wikipedia page says about it all:
When Lewis was four years old, her mother married businessman Tom Lewis, and Judy went by his last name. However, Tom never adopted Judy because he never knew that she was Loretta's biological daughter, a fact that he would have learned had he gone through adoption procedures. Christopher Lewis once told Judy that at one time his father thought that Judy was the biological daughter of Loretta's sister, Sally Blane, because of Judy's resemblance to Sally. Her mother went on to have two sons, Christopher Paul and Peter Charles, with Tom Lewis.

Lewis looked strikingly like Gable as she grew older, including having ears that stuck out like Gable's. Young often put bonnets on the toddler, and had Lewis undergo a painful operation on her ears as a child to pin them back in another attempt to hide her real parentage. As Lewis grew up, several people in Hollywood, as well as the public, began to believe that Clark Gable was her biological father. When Judy was fifteen, Gable came to her mother's house to visit her briefly. Gable asked Lewis about her life and then upon leaving, kissed her on her forehead. It was the only time that Judy ever spoke to Gable, and she had no idea he was her father. When Lewis met her future husband at the age of twenty-three, it was he who told her that Gable was her biological father and that "everyone" knew, which stunned Lewis. Lewis, at age 31, finally confronted her mother when Gable had been dead for five years. Loretta Young became nauseated but confirmed the truth.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Oh. That is both a better story and a much sadder one. And holy hell, with having her ears pinned back. Young WAS horrible!

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:59 pm

As I recall, she left the baby in an orphanage for a year or two before "adopting" her, to make the story more believable. To me that was always the worst part.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:45 pm

I remember seeing an interview with Judy Lewis on E! where she said that Loretta always treated her as a burden she had to take care of for "sinning" and never treated her the same as her siblings, and one of the reasons that Gable meeting stuck with her was because he showed more warmth to her then Loretta ever had, who called her to her face a "walking mortal sin".

It was super sad and I've kinda loathed Loretta Young for years because of that whole thing.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:46 pm

naughty zoot wrote:I just read The Fixers by EJ Fleming and it's mentioned that Judy Lewis was always photographed with a hat on or with her hair covering her ears, specifically so no one would "know". It was a fun read read, allegedly about Howard Strickland and Eddie Mannix, MGM's publicity men, but mostly just about the all the old MGM scandals they had to cover up. Lots of salacious stuff and much more believable than Scotty Bowers' Full Service.
Why isn't this an HBO or AMC TV series?

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25 pm

That is incredibly sad. I always knew there must have been some resentment on Young's end and that the relationship between she and daughter must have been rocky, but "walking mortal sin"? Who the hell says that to their child? That's like something a V.C. Andrews character would say.

I've heard Loretta Young was an unbelievable bitch, but this just seals it. What a story.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodbyeWithWords on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Can't link on phone, but Mia Farrow has tacitly admitted that Frank Sinatra is the bio dad of her son with Woody Allen. It's in Vanity Fair, they also have Nancy Sinatra saying their family is close to the kid (he's mid-20s now). Mia made it sound like she and Frank were still hooking up long after they split.

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  jennlynnster on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Yep. Mia Farrow Says Woody Allen's Son May Actually Be Frank Sinatra's Son.

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 pm

I didn't even know she was still living, but thankfully at 94 she is, with mind fully intact: Maureen O'Hara.

I used to love watching The Quiet Man around St. Patrick's Day each year despite how cringingly misogynistic it is, and that was all due to her. She's wonderful.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Maureen O'Hara was a regular guest at the Galway Film Fleadh for a long time. She might still visit, I don't know, but people always said she was charming and had great stories when she was here.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:05 pm

As a kid, I thought she was the prettiest mom ever in The Parent Trap.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Fraoch wrote:As a kid, I thought she was the prettiest mom ever in The Parent Trap.

Me too, I loved her in that movie. So charming.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:54 am

Sophia Loren discusses that side-eye she gave Jayne Mansfield.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Arabella wrote:Sophia Loren discusses that side-eye she gave Jayne Mansfield.

Ha, I was just reading about that on Yahoo. Jayne Mansfield's nipples (both of them) were literally hanging out the top of her dress, I would side-eye that too if it was right in my face.

Mainly I couldn't get over the fact that they were 22 and 24 in those photos.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:07 am

They're real and they're spectacular.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:16 am

I’m staring at her nipples because I am afraid they are about to come onto my plate.
This was an entirely reasonable fear.

Pretty classy that she won't sign the photo out of respect for the dead.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top