Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadchurch (US—No Spoilers!)

+7
mialoubug
wenchsenior
Gillian
Kiran
LadyGayle
Gallifrey Girl
Francie Nolan
11 posters

Go down

Broadchurch (US—No Spoilers!) Empty Broadchurch (US—No Spoilers!)

Post  Francie Nolan Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:22 pm

So I'm a little spoiler-phobic, as you can tell by the topic title.  Why can't we just get these things the same time as the UK?  Is this our punishment for breaking up with you?  

So many red herrings!  So far I'm thinking that it can't be Mark, because that would be too obvious, and they played that card too early for it to be him.  I feel like Susan (the creepy dog-walking lady) knows something about who killed Danny or how he was killed, but that she wasn't responsible (or solely responsible).  Nigel is somewhere in the same category.  Given the revelations about Jack, that would also be too obvious--but he's connected to Susan! Who has a different name that I can't remember!  I'm dying to know why Susan has Danny's skateboard and what was in the texts Tom deleted.  The priest seems a bit creepy, but I think it's just because he has the hots for Beth.  The cocaine and the £500 may be a red herring, but I really want to follow up on that more.  So far, the least likely suspects would be Beth's mother and Joe, so I'll go with them, for no good reason.  (I will be so sad if it's Joe, though--he and Ellie are adorable together).  Everyone is a suspect!

The only storyline I find tedious is the possibly fake psychic.  Also, I really just want to know what happened with Hardy's previous case already.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Broadchurch (US—No Spoilers!) Empty Re: Broadchurch (US—No Spoilers!)

Post  Gallifrey Girl Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Canada must be slightly ahead of the US (but still way behind the UK) as this just finished this past Monday. They ran it on an odd Sunday and Mondays for four weeks schedule, rather than once a week. That said, I think they aired the last episode longer, as my DVR taped it at the right time, but it cut off before the end of the last episode. I'm not sure how much of it I missed - 30 seconds or ten minutes, who knows?!

I enjoyed it. David Tennant (swoon) with his soooo thick Scottish accent, being permanently dour was delightful. All the actors were great, so many Doctor Who and Potter people. The setting was amazing - those cliffs!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:49 pm

I am loving this show! Tennant and Olivia Colman are brilliant, but the performance I'm blown away by is Jodie Whitaker's as Beth. That can't be easy to play constant grief - to be brittle and raw without any histrionics. Oh, and what is up with her pregnancy and why hasn't she told anyone but Vicar Paul? Is the baby maybe not Mark's? And whatever happened to the daughter's skeevy boyfriend?

Susan/Elaine is officially the creepiest person on this show - even more than Walder Frey. Threatening the newspaper lady with rapists? And then right after doing that making her very first friendly gesture ever by saying "hey" to Hardy? Brrr.

I could also do without the psychic, but everything else is golden. I'm not even in a hurry to know who the killer is, I'm just interested in seeing it all unfold.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Regarding her pregnancy, I figured she wasn't sure if she wanted the baby (shes had two kids and shes only 30. She might be feeling a bit apprehensive about a third), and now with everything else going on its something she doesn't want to deal with it.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:01 am

Francie Nolan wrote:So far, the least likely suspects would be Beth's mother and Joe, so I'll go with them, for no good reason.  (I will be so sad if it's Joe, though--he and Ellie are adorable together).
Yes!  Joe is the best cop husband ever, so I'm terrified it'll end up being him.  I am going to spend the rest of my Friday night watching the last couple of episodes so I'll be all caught up, at least American caught up.

Does anyone else have to keep turning the closed captioning on when they're watching this?  I'm fine with straightforward conversations, but when it's multiple people in a scene or people are speaking casually, I miss a lot.  You never know what'll turn out to be important later with shows like this, so I keep rewinding and turning on subtitles.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:50 pm

I can't take the suspense anymore!  At least we finally got the Sandbrook (is that even it?) story.  Which was a bit less dramatic than I'd expected.  I really want to know what's up with Tom, but at the same time I'm not sure I want to know.  Ellie's comment to Susan about not knowing what went on in her own house is clearly going to come home to roost.

Do we know who Alistair Murray who sent the email that popped up on Hardy's computer?  Is he Hardy's doctor/friend?

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:02 am

Francie Nolan wrote:I can't take the suspense anymore!  
This. For some reason I thought last night was the last ep, and I can't believe I have to spend another week wondering.

Also, I thought the reveal on Tennant's 'condition' was kind of silly. Do you just suddenly develop heart arrhythmia that's life-threatening? I had been betting it was a bleeding ulcer, though my confidence in that had been dropping due to lack of scenes of him periodically throwing up.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Do we know who Alistair Murray who sent the email that popped up on Hardy's computer?  Is he Hardy's doctor/friend?
I thought he was the police IT guy that Tennant called about bringing up information from Danny's computer when Tennant picked up Tommy's laptop from Rev. Paul.

I got spoiled to murderer on this a few weeks ago accidentally and I was pissed off.  But I keep watching to see the how and where.  This is a very, very well done series.

ETA I was pissed that I got spoiled not by the story.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Ellie's comment to Susan about not knowing what went on in her own house is clearly going to come home to roost.
I thought that definitely set up Tom being complicit in Danny's death in some way, but I'm dying to find out how. Is next week's episode the last one?
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:Ellie's comment to Susan about not knowing what went on in her own house is clearly going to come home to roost.
Yeah, that one was a big "oof" moment.  Fictional characters should know better than to say shit like that!  If your kid wasn't the killer before, Ellie, he became guilty the second those words left your mouth.

I don't get why Susan gave Tom Danny's skateboard.  Just to get somewhere with the Nigel situation?

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:15 am

I don't want to spoil but if any of you haven't watched the finale yet, or even if you have, I highly recommend you find a way to watch the uncut version. Apparently, BBCAmerica cut what is imo one of the most improtant and cathartic scenes in the show.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:24 pm

I've been looking for the uncut version all morning. Last night's episode blew me away, and I was really annoyed to read this morning how much had been cut.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:19 pm

ActonBell wrote:I've been looking for the uncut version all morning. Last night's episode blew me away, and I was really annoyed to read this morning how much had been cut.
If you google "watch Broadchurch episode 8," the fourth result down is an uncut version.  I really can't understand why BBC-A would cut that of all scenes.  

I'm going to spoiler this just in case:

Spoiler:

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:37 pm

I read too many speculation posts on TWoP which is why I started to think
Spoiler:
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:23 am

Ugggggh, no no no no no.

Spoiler:

I guess I need to go off in search of the uncut version.  It didn't feel like anything was left out when I was watching it, but now I'm curious.  I may just look for a summary instead, though.  This show was so engrossing, but I don't think I could put myself through this episode again.  
Spoiler:

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Devastating. Just completely heartbreaking. I had guessed the killer a few weeks ago, but I was SO hoping I was wrong.

And yeah, definitely look for the uncut version. There's one scene especially that should never, ever have been cut.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Gillian wrote:Ugggggh, no no no no no.

Spoiler:

I guess I need to go off in search of the uncut version.  It didn't feel like anything was left out when I was watching it, but now I'm curious.  I may just look for a summary instead, though.  This show was so engrossing, but I don't think I could put myself through this episode again.  
Spoiler:
I have very mixed feelings about the way this wrapped up.
Spoiler:

Also (I assume due to the cuts to the American version), what happened with the horrible Herald reporter (who I wanted to beat with a baseball bat every time I saw her) and Ellie's nephew?

Given those pretty big complaints, I think there's some good possibilities for next season, if they bring a couple new characters in. Are the leads staying on?

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:27 pm

LadyGayle wrote:Devastating. Just completely heartbreaking. I had guessed the killer a few weeks ago, but I was SO hoping I was wrong.

And yeah, definitely look for the uncut version. There's one scene especially that should never, ever have been cut.
Can somebody post a description of this scene. I'm not watching the whole thing again just to pick up a few scenes I missed.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  shamoogity Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:24 am

I just finished this series and I'm confused by a few things:

Spoilers:

Ultimately,  this show was really well-acted and did a good job showing the effect on the family, the cops, and the town. However there were way too many red herrings that were never fully explained.
Spoilers:
 That's annoying.

shamoogity

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:41 pm

The did shoot a scene explaining the postman thing, but it was cut for time reasons. It's on the Blu Ray.
Spoiler:

I don't think the psychic was real, because
Spoiler:

I guess some of the other stuff (like not everyone having an alibi), from an in-universe point of view it wasn't important once the killer had been found. But from an audience point of view it is annoying. But then I think the point is it was created as a psychological exploration of how a small town copes in the wake of a devastating crime, not really a whodunnit, even though it was mostly promoted as a whodunnit.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down