Sleepy Hollow

Page 6 of 24 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sleepy Hollow

Post  PrincessCleo on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Yeah, I am really interested in what the hell is going on with Irving, because that "he's totes a real live professor here at Oxford in the present day, what" call was clearly set up by SOMEONE. Although I would have loved a cut to The Demon Moloch talking on the phone in a British lady's voice.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:09 pm

HEE, yes, and then a big break-the-fourth-wall wink at the camera? Oh Moloch, you devil.
--

I enjoyed this episode the most of any so far. I appreciated that Abbie got to do some thinking for herself without Ichabod popping up with the answer to everything. I loved all the little moments like Ichabod putting his face in the videoconferencing camera and struggling with the plastic packaging. ("Yes, however did we do without plastic?" *disgusted look*) I liked that they used the opportunity to drag even MORE time travel into this show. And their explanation of what REALLY happened to Roanoke.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:06 pm

I am pissed that there aren't any new episodes until Nov. 4th!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Same Biakbiak!

I just found this Sleepy Hollow - 1.06 - Join, or Die - Promo preview for *gasp*Nov 4th!

I do think the Captain is not exactly a straight character. I don't know the term for someone who is not transparent; I think he is deceiving us with knowledge not yet shared.  I was surprised someone from Oxford had been briefed to cover for Crane! Yes, Molloch preventing to be a woman who have been funny but clownish!

Anyways the preview made me tear up -mostly b/c I have to wait 3 weeks for the next episode of my fave ever show!

ETA: I cannot fix the link from my phone, despite trying 2x to fix it!
Can I fix it at work tomorrow? When I have a laptop & can do this checking better?
[particle_person says: no worries. ;-)]

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:47 pm

For those who have the bones: Abbie's badass leather jacket.

I have an extra check this month and am seriously considering the forest green version. Now I know the secret to this cracky show, advertisers are like if they'll buy Middle English in a 1586 disappeared, pestilence infected ghost village we could get them to buy ANYTHING at any PRICE. Hee.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Captain Irving, is he a good witch? Clearly the evil coven is still around so the good one should be too, right?

I just watched all 5 episodes in 2 days which is unusual for me! It is a fun silly show.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:55 pm

blixie wrote:if they'll buy Middle English in a 1586 disappeared, pestilence infected ghost village...
FO REAL, what was that??

This show is the cutest, but that was ridiculous.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 pm

As a North Carolinian, I rolled my eyes at the Lost Colony storyline, but hey, you're a cute show, so I'll give you that one.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 pm

I did in fact loudly exclaim, "They joined the native tribes! How hard is that!"

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:21 pm

THANK YOU.  They weren't lost!  They left and intermarried with the Lumbees.  IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Well, yeah, but if you're going to be like that, you might as well say, "There's no historical evidence for an Ark of the Covenant, Mr. Doctorate in Archaeology!" or "Aliens never landed in Roswell, Chris Carter!" And where's the fun in that?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Where's the fun in being a curmudgeon? Is that a trick question?

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm sticking by my parallel universe construct, where Indiana DID find the Ark, and The Librarian found King Solomon's mines, and Lara Croft is ON that Pandora's box bullshit. And one day...they'll find...EACH OTHER. (*gonnnng*)

Of course you know what happens next. They walk into a bar...

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Things that are actually mysterious make good TV! The lost colony was never "lost."

Hat tip to ichabotcrane for this video. I giggled at my desk.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:27 pm

I would like to clarify that while I find the "Lost" colony thing eyerolly, I was very amused by their explanation. Which fits in perfectly fine with the other completely batshit things happening. Including that Sleepy Hollow is 15x its actual size and has a Sherrif and a police Captain.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:50 pm

I didn't care about the "lost" colony thing, I was thrown by their attempt to claim that people in the 1590s were speaking Middle English. This was Shakespeare's time, not Chaucer's. We'd be able to understand the real Roanoke settlers if we met them now.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:54 pm

That too, SNeaker. I actually thought hey shouldn't they sound more like Shakespeare?
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Love the crack vid, and it totally didn't send me down a fan vid hole. NOPE. Which funny cause most of the vids follow the fanvid template of "angsty song" thing, when what I love about this show is it's lighthearted crackosity.

I  know people have probably seen this Fox promo, but I LOVE it. When he says, "Lovejoy and...." BAM! "Don't know them!" How do they pack that much charming adorable into 35 seconds?

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:41 pm

It was the Little Mermaid overlay with the motel scene that sent me over the edge into full on cackling.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:23 pm

SNeaker wrote:I didn't care about the "lost" colony thing, I was thrown by their attempt to claim that people in the 1590s were speaking Middle English. This was Shakespeare's time, not Chaucer's. We'd be able to understand the real Roanoke settlers if we met them now.
Well, we could write notes back and forth, anyway. Given that I have trouble understanding some CURRENT English accents (Geordie?) I'm not too confident that I'd do well with a 400 year old one.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Captain Irving, is he a good witch? Clearly the evil coven is still around so the good one should be too, right?
That sounds like a logical explanation given the premise of this show!

Geordie accent? I watch Inspector George Gently with closed captioning ON because I struggle to understand at times! I know I would NOT understand Shakespearan English (ESL could be a strong factor in my case).

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:48 pm

SNeaker wrote:I didn't care about the "lost" colony thing, I was thrown by their attempt to claim that people in the 1590s were speaking Middle English. This was Shakespeare's time, not Chaucer's. We'd be able to understand the real Roanoke settlers if we met them now.
That bothered the HELL out of me.  I know they like to show us how brilliant Icabod is with his awesome language skills, but Middle English was well and truly dead prior to the 1580s.  I swear this show needs to ask its writers to use more than Wikipedia to do their historical research.  By the way, I'm totally willing and able to act as a consultant.

That said, I loved his quip about Adams keeping a notebook of dirty limericks.  That I can believe.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Agent Sculder wrote:
That bothered the HELL out of me.  I know they like to show us how brilliant Icabod is with his awesome language skills, but Middle English was well and truly dead prior to the 1580s.  I swear this show needs to ask its writers to use more than Wikipedia to do their historical research.  By the way, I'm totally willing and able to act as a consultant.
Right!  Thomas should have spoken like Edmund, Lord Blackadder.  (That show's the correct way to learn history, right?)

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:04 am

As a current and former student of history, you could do worse. The characterizations were um fictionalized, but the history wasn't all that far off. Compare the zany Pythons, who produce documentaries like they were Oxford scholars or something. I'm equally bewildered by the uncluttered view of law enforcement relationships and jurisdiction - this has lead me to conclude that the comparisons to 'Supernatural' are apt: wildly inconsistent writing born aloft by two wildly charismatic leads. Though 'Sleepy Hollow' decided to open with its mythology dialed up to 11, instead of taking a couple of seasons to charge into it.

Still. Well done. Spooky and funny, hard to pull off.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 am

I'm pretty much whatever at that because Ichabod was being hot and speaking hotly and Abbie looked amazing and hot in her leather jacket which I need and will never afford.

Stupid (hot) show.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 24 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top