Sleepy Hollow

Page 22 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sleepy Hollow

Post  blixie on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:15 pm

I managed to get all excited about the show after seeing an amazing Ichabbie fan art on twitter. That excitement lasted 48 hours.

Sexy Betsy Ross. Genius! Because she's edgy and Sexy and the show as lacking sexy smart edge, because Abbie and Jenny do not click any of those boxes.

Current Fandom Mood.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:24 pm

From the link: "... fired Orlando Jones and pulled out of it’s appearance at this year’s San Diego Comic Con."

In a nutshell. In one breath, an unthinkably dumb act and a smart one (particularly after watching the poor Supernatural writer's self-immolation in the face of a respectful but righteously unhappy fanmob). What, it's not all a big worshipful marketing-managed lovefest?  You'd better hide, you chuckleheads. Sexy Betsy Ross my Aunt Annie's fanny. Sounds like a Halloween costume you buy in a bag.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:44 pm

I was so sad about this yesterday, it actually shocked me. I thought I'd let go of this show, at least emotionally, but I guess the new EP had kindled hope in my heart. And this...this snuffed it right out.

Now, granted, we don't really know how this will work. Will she just appear in flashbacks? That would seem likely to me if she hadn't been signed as a regular. Even if it IS true, I don't want flashbacks every episode. I'm so entirely over the story of Ichabod Crane, Special Revolutionary Hero; I certainly don't need a Katrina replacement to make that aspect even MORE prominent.

Here's what I want from SH: Abbie. Crane and Abbie. Jenny and Abbie. Crane and Jenny. Bring this shit to the present day. Expand the town of Sleepy Hollow. Stop throwing other (white) women at Crane to delay or block Ichabbie. Platonic or romantic, IT'S THE ONLY THING ABOUT YOUR STUPID SHITTY SHOW THAT WORKS ALL THE TIME. WHY DO YOU HATE IT. WHY DO YOU HATE JOY AND SUCCESS.

(blixie, hit me up with a link to that fanart pls)
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Kay this is weird the tweet links to a tumblr but the link doesn't go the picture in the tweet. I swear I will never ever every get tumblr. Ever. Also I might have oversold it, but it hit me in the feels..I think it captures everything about the relationship, the comfort and the chemistry.

IT'S THE ONLY THING ABOUT YOUR STUPID SHITTY SHOW THAT WORKS ALL THE TIME.

Right? Like I just can't fathom how you spent all spring and summer telling me you GET IT on Twitter. So the first big publicity push for S3 is. "We GET IT you LOVE Ichabbie, here have some Betsy Ross and some Bones crossover on the side!" Not enough WTF in the world. And I agree that what most irritates me about this is that yes they clearly view this show as being Ichabod and his Angels: past, present, future. ICKY, but the wrong kind of icky.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Ugh, it's like they're trying to get cancelled. I thought getting rid of He Who Shall Not Be Named as showrunner was a sign of good things to come. But it seems that this season's writers, just like last season's, are blissfully ignorant about what fans liked about this show to begin with. I was cautiously optimistic before, now I'm just depressed. Don't get me wrong, I won't jump ship until the final cancellation nail has been driven into the show's creaking coffin, because I really only watch the show now to see Abbie and Crane flirt. But it hurts.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Wait. They fired Orlando Jones!!??
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:46 pm

I don't have any specific articles in mind but I think Orlando was pretty vocal about the shows issues last year.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:37 pm

As soon as they got an extended episode order for season 2, I immediately thought "they are going to fuck this up". Part of the show's success to me lay in the fact that it was 13 episodes, they had no time for extraneous nonsense, they ran with the story which was Abby and Crane front and centre.

I think the whole 22/23 episode season is ridiculous in most cases. (Yes, there are advertising and business reasons for that, I'm sure), depending on the kind of story you're telling.

At least we'll always have season 1, I suppose, which is the coldest of comfort.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:27 pm

You guys missed the best (?) part:

Sleepy Hollow / Bones crossover episodes.

Can I get a bwah?
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 pm

blixie wrote:Also I might have oversold it, but it hit me in the feels..I think it captures everything about the relationship, the comfort and the chemistry.
It's so cute. I definitely no longer believe we'll ever get there on the show, but this is basically what I want for them.

And Putli Bai, the Bones thing...I just can't. I saw that only like an hour after I saw the Betsy Ross thing, and I was basically incapable of response at that point. I mean--sure. Yes. Why not.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:27 pm

I don't have any specific articles in mind but I think Orlando was pretty vocal about the shows issues last year.

He was vocal on his social media platforms: twitter, tumblr, and instagram I guess, but when he was on the clock in the press he always gave the best possible spin to S2, and even when he made snark comments about S2's issues on social media, he was still pimping the hell outta the show. I did feel like it would get him trouble since speaking out SM is often consider the same or worse than speaking in the press, and when I heard he wasn't coming back I suspected it wasn't by choice.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Everything about this seems like such a massive train wreck. Massive, MASSIVE train wreck.

I was so excited for Season 3. Now, I'm not sure if I'm even going to watch.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:13 pm

And the train wreck keeps gathering steam as they add ANOTHER female regular to the cast. I can't even anymore.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Unless these characters are joining Abbie Mills' Sleepy Hollow version of the Avengers, I'm not sure I want them.

Also, we're not hearing much from Tom Mison or Nicole Beharie at the moment. I know they're filming or what not, but should they not be doing some kind of PR for the new season considering how the viewing numbers slumped?

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Blech. I'm not a fan of her at all.

I would almost wonder whether Nicole Beharie wanted out of her contract, and that's why they're adding these other female series regulars in the same age range (still can't believe this is the way they're spending their money)*--to try to transition to a Season 4 without her or something, but I kinda doubt there's enough faith in the show that it will last past this season anyway.

Oh well. Maybe none of this will amount to much. I have to imagine this is a literal Pandora here, so she's probably just going to be tied to whatever apocalypse they're facing next. And I still want to believe that Nikki Reed will stay in flashbacks only.

*ETA: To be clear, I just don't think this show needs more than 3-4 regulars (RIP Frank). I wish they'd use that money--and the time we're going to spend getting to know these new people--on expanding the world of Sleepy Hollow. Make things feel like they have stakes. Make it feel like Ichabod is making a home there. Have some recurring guest stars, fine, but series regulars? Not necessary.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:26 pm

This is getting even more depressing. Unless the writers can pull some kind of magic rabbit out of a hat, this season will definitely be the last. It seems like they're making the same mistakes as last season - signing cast members as regulars without a clue as to how to use them (*ahemKatrinaHawleyahem*).

I want to believe, but unceremoniously binning fandom hero Orlando Jones feels like another kick in the teeth for the die-hard fans. Sleepy Hollow was a show that was never supposed to make it big, and when it did, those in charge suddenly decided that they hated everything that people loved about it.

Carrie Anne wrote:I would almost wonder whether Nicole Beharie wanted out of her contract, and that's why they're adding these other female series regulars in the same age range (still can't believe this is the way they're spending their money)*--to try to transition to a Season 4 without her or something, but I kinda doubt there's enough faith in the show that it will last past this season anyway.

God, if it seemed to be going that way, I'd quit watching. As much as I love it, the show would simply not be worth watching. I love Crane, but he's nothing without the Lieutenant.
Grainne Mhaol

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:34 pm

And now this: http://io9.com/sleepy-hollow-drops-the-headless-horseman-for-season-3-1722340789

What. Ever.

(Though the article makes a very good point about 'so what?')
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:21 am

The first promo pics for Season Three are released - not of Abbie, or Ichabod, or Jenny, or freaking Joe Corbin or any of the characters we've come to know and love. (Drumroll please)

Nikki Reed as Betsy Ross

A character that was a joke in the Season one finale, ladies and gentlemen, is now a spy in Washington's Culper Spy Ring. Fox is completely deluded if it thinks that attracting the Twilight crowd is going to save a show that haemorrhaged viewers in its disastrous sophomore season. Fans have been begging for news or promo pictures featuring the stars, but this is what we get. I've never seen showrunners display such marked contempt for the people that made the show popular to begin with.
Grainne Mhaol

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:52 am

I made myself slightly unpopular with Sleepy Hollow fans of my acquaintance last season because I didn't have nearly as big a problem with Katrina as many folks did. I was annoyed at a lot of the choices made for the character but I felt that, since she was an original part of the cast, and her character was by its very nature important to Ichabod, she had to have some sort of character arc. (I agree that much of the arc she was given was stupid.)

Hawley, now (or as I preferred to call him, Poochie) was a stupid idiotic character who served no purpose except to eat up screen time that Jennie or Frank should have had, and to do stuff anyone from the original cast could have done a lot better. His very existence pissed me off and I'm still irritated that he wasn't killed off.

And now they're fucking doing it AGAIN? With Betsy Ross? Oh no. No, no, no. And they've gotten rid of Frank altogether? OH HELL NO. What's next, Jennie dies in the first episode?

I stuck with this stupid show and its stupid showrunner and their stupid choices for their stupid new characters all through last season, but now I think I really might be out. How dumb-- or spiteful-- do they have to be, to either not notice or deliberately trash everything that was fun and likable about the show?

Nope. I've got the DVD of season one and that's enough. Since one of the roles of fanworks is to FIX STUFF THE CREATORS BROKE BECAUSE THEY'RE STUPID, I think I'll see if any of my favourite fic writers are into Sleepy Hollow and just cut my losses.

This is why we can't have nice things. Because creators can't tell what's nice and what isn't. Because they're stupid.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:57 am

I wonder, and maybe this is crazy, whether Fox has kind of abandoned this show in terms of marketing/PR support. It's the only reason I can figure for them not to manage this Nikki Reed business a little better. I don't actually think SBR is going to take over the show, and I want to believe that the new showrunner and new writers might understand the strengths of the show, but the only information we've received in four months has nothing to do with anything I care about. If they do have a PR person assigned to this show, that person should have been sensitive to how new information and media were released about this season. So either they shoved it off on a 24-year-old recent grad with no background on areas of concern, or that whole department is worthless.

The S3 marketing campaign should have started with producer/cast interviews that let out some teasers about Abbie/Ichabod and Jenny. Lots of tidbits about them. And then, the new casting announcements (and Bones crossover, shudder). Then when production started, a few stills of I/A/J, before photos of the interlopers. This is not difficult to do. If you can get photos of Sexy Betsy out there, then you can get photos of Ichabod and Abbie. Otherwise, we're left to infer that the priority is on the new cast members, because that's all we're getting information about. Or maybe NR just has an incredible team behind her, and they were able to convince the (clearly terrible) Fox team to let them release those photos on their own.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:28 am

With less than a week to go, Fox has finally given us a trailer and cast photos.

I'm afraid of getting my hopes up given the disaster of last season, as well as Fox's total lack of interest in promoting the show. However, I like some of the course correction that the new show-runners have done, like bringing back Joe Corbin and doing a time jump so we won't have to suffer through Crane mourning his awful family.

I only pray that they bring back some of the fun of the first season, because positive word of mouth and the return of some of the fans who jumped ship are the only chance the show has of avoiding cancellation.
Grainne Mhaol

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:41 am

Grainne Mhaol wrote:With less than a week to go, Fox has finally given us a trailer and cast photos.

I'm afraid of getting my hopes up given the disaster of last season, as well as Fox's total lack of interest in promoting the show. However, I like some of the course correction that the new show-runners have done, like bringing back Joe Corbin and doing a time jump so we won't have to suffer through Crane mourning his awful family.

I only pray that they bring back some of the fun of the first season, because positive word of mouth and the return of some of the fans who jumped ship are the only chance the show has of avoiding cancellation.

Against my will and possibly my better judgement I find myself feeling a smidge of excitement/hope for the new season after all. (except for Betsy Ross as a pirate. Come ON.) However, depending on how the characters are used I certainly have no objection to having more women in prominent roles, and does the "new boss" character mean we've time-jumped to Abbie joining the FBI after all? That does sound like at least the potential for a fresh start, as long as they don't completely squander it...

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:44 am

hear hear... I hope so too. Just as long as they have understood we really don't want the whole Katrina business, and now that John Noble is in Elementary we can hope his story line is also smaller.
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:08 am

I'm afraid of getting my hopes up given the disaster of last season,

My smidge of excitement was dimmed considerably by an early review of the premiere, by someone who really stans for the show in the face of all the problems. She gave it a 2 out of 5, and basically implied they are repeating the same "mistakes" of: anything and everything BUT Ichabbie, isn't it fun to watch Hot White Man make out with Hot White Lady, Hot White Lady is so FUN and HOT and AWESOME. Let's find out ALL about her, because this show is about HOT WHITE MAN and his many babes through time.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:16 am

blixie wrote:
I'm afraid of getting my hopes up given the disaster of last season,

My smidge of excitement was dimmed considerably by an early review of the premiere, by someone who really stans for the show in the face of all the problems. She gave it a 2 out of 5, and basically implied they are repeating the same "mistakes"  of: anything and everything BUT Ichabbie, isn't it fun to watch Hot White Man make out with Hot White Lady, Hot White Lady is so FUN and HOT and AWESOME. Let's find out ALL about her, because this show is about HOT WHITE MAN and his many babes through time.

Damn! You don't have a link to that review, do you? (I always figure I might as well know the worst.)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top