Oscars 2014

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oscars 2014

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Hey, not all black acting nominees were playing slaves. Some were playing Somali pirates!
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 pm

inversed wrote:With all the strong films this year about African-Americans, and all the strong performances by African-Americans, it seems pretty token-y to me that each major category has just one nomination from 12 Years a Slave.
Fruitvale Station, The Butler and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom were all Weinstein Co. properties. Irrespective of quality, I think Harvey wasn't able to give them all the attention they probably needed to score more nominations, because he had Philomena and August: Osage County, too, and could only get one Best Picture nod with five tries. By his standards, that's pretty weak. There have been years where two black actors have been nominated in the same category before. I think there is a certain "there can only be one" sort of thinking with some AMPAS members, but maybe I just don't want to believe that's the whole story here.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:13 pm

I think I'm kind of sad that, for the time being, Supporting Actor is turning into a little bit of a dump stat...that is to say, they give it someone notable from Best Picture. While the larger slew of BP nominees can be a good thing (I world where Her is nominated for Best Picture is a good world), it also means that I think the Academy is getting lazy about recognizing efforts outside of that sphere.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:40 am

Skyblade wrote:I think I'm kind of sad that, for the time being, Supporting Actor is turning into a little bit of a dump stat...that is to say, they give it someone notable from Best Picture. While the larger slew of BP nominees can be a good thing (I world where Her is nominated for Best Picture is a good world), it also means that I think the Academy is getting lazy about recognizing efforts outside of that sphere.

Interesting you mention that. Mark Harris over at Grantland discusses how increasing the number of Best Picture nominees seems to be reducing the overall number of films being nominated in the major categories. What it comes down to is that nearly all the nominations in the major categories are for films also nominated for Best Picture. Back in the day, when there were only five Best Picture slots, people were more likely to vote for an outside of the box candidate as a way to reward a film that had no shot at Best Picture.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 am

The article blames (or at least raises the question of blaming) Christopher Nolan for breaking the Oscars, but really, it all goes back to Harvey. (As it always does) He's the one who brought campaigning to new lows. He's the one who's antics caused the Academy to shorten the season. He's the one who made "The Reader", the film that caused the Academy to reflect to if their system worked by nominating a movie that filled all the usual prestige picture requirements except for actually being liked by anybody.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 am

So the big show is tomorrow night, and while I am excited that Cate Blanchette and Lupita Nyong'o have really good chances of winning their categories, I'm much lest enthused about the Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor categories. I know it's practically heresy to say it, but I don't want wither Matthew McConaughey or Jared Leto to win. Not because I don't think those guys weren't good, but because they are both the kind of stereotypical performances that the the Academy likes to reward over less showy, but no less great performances.

I think it's great that McConaughey has turned his career around in the past couple of years and escaped from bad rom-coms. But if they want to give the Oscar as a reward for overall good work rather than a specific role, just give it to Leonardo DiCaprio who is starting to become his generation's Peter O'Toole.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:56 am

So, the four acting awards for the Independent Spirit Awards are the same four who won the major movie awards in the SAGs, and the same four considered the odds-on favorite for the Oscars.

Well, I'm glad we've got the ISA's to honor those otherwise small, unheralded films...
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:01 am

Kim Novak's plastic surgeon is of the Trying-to-get-a-Victorian-lady-into-a-whale-bone-corset" school of face lifts.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:23 am

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Oh hell, looks like Twitter's gone down.

ETA: whew, and it's back up. Live bloggers/tweeters rejoice!
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:28 am

That was an interesting ceremony. I can't say I'm a big Ellen fan (I find her to be dull as dishwater), but I did like the selfie bit, and the pizza thing was saved by Brad Pitt handing out plates and napkins. I wish she hadn't mingled with the audience so much, though. It reeked of desperation.

I loved Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong'o's wins. I haven't seen Dallas Buyer's Club, but that Leto clip had me tearing up. Lupita was cute as hell. I love it when someone is not afraid to show how happy they are for their win.

I was...concerned for Kim Novak. I know she's 81, but she seemed out of it to me. I hope she's feeling all right. I may be the only one who loved the streak of blue in Liza's hair, and P!nk's rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I was afraid she would botch it, but she actually did a pretty good job. One of my favorite moments of the night was Bill Murray's Harold Ramis shout-out. That was sweet of him. Glad American Hustle didn't win a damn thing, because I think that movie sucked.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:38 am

Lupita being the first to get up and dance with Pharrell Williams during "Happy" -- adorable.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:50 am

Crowbridge wrote:That was an interesting ceremony.  I can't say I'm a big Ellen fan (I find her to be dull as dishwater), but I did like the selfie bit, and the pizza thing was saved by Brad Pitt handing out plates and napkins.  I wish she hadn't mingled with the audience so much, though.  It reeked of desperation.

I loved Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong'o's wins.  I haven't seen Dallas Buyer's Club, but that Leto clip had me tearing up.  Lupita was cute as hell.  I love it when someone is not afraid to show how happy they are for their win.

Glad American Hustle didn't win a damn thing, because I think that movie sucked.  

I was pleasantly shocked Ellen had some punchy humor in her gig, usually she's so inoffensive she actually offends me on behalf of meaner comics, and I just want her to call someone an idiot. There was a little too much audience mingling, but it was much better than the last time she hosted.

I'm most pleased for Jared Leto. His character, more than MM's honestly, totally carried the emotional heart of the film. He was amazing. I also loved Gravity cleaning up.

And count me on American Hustle losing everything. I didn't hate it, but it was not award worthy whatsoever.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:59 am

I'm always an easy audience, because I love this stuff, but I felt like this Oscars delighted me for the following reasons:

1. I don't think I heard them play off a single person. Not even the unknowns. Everyone got a chance to finish their speech. I've never seen that happen before!
2. They turned off the audience clapping for the In Memoriam segment. We've always wished for it and it finally came true.
3. I don't think I was disappointed by a single winner, and all the winners I wanted won.
4. Lupita's dress. I adored that color, with her coloring. Beautiful.
5. The writers of "Let it Go" rhyming their thank yous.
6. Matthew McConaughey being delightfully like a character he might play. Sweet and possibly stoned and enthusiastic and making no sense. But somehow making all the sense in the world. Alright alright alright.
7. It was a planned shtick but the group selfie was still adorable. And apparently did crash twitter.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 am

emrie wrote:1. I don't think I heard them play off a single person. Not even the unknowns. Everyone got a chance to finish their speech. I've never seen that happen before!
2. They turned off the audience clapping for the In Memoriam segment. We've always wished for it and it finally came true.
So true about the first point--I noticed it right away for Jared Leto's win. I kept waiting for the band to kick in, but it didn't. I know the band started in after one of a pair of winners finished their thanks, so the other guy didn't get to say his piece, but otherwise, don't remember anyone being played off.

And I was glad they muted the applause, or asked people not to applaud, or whatever the solution was, but I wish they'd just had Bette sing over the montage instead of having her awkwardly sing afterward. It was like being at a funeral. Just kind of weird and a waste of time.

I was disappointed with Ellen, to be honest. I thought she was meaner than usual, and not as funny. That is so weird to me, because she's such a natural on her own show. I thought it would translate, but it didn't.

But in general, happy with the way the awards themselves went, so that's most important. And I'm definitely shipping JGL and Emma Watson now, so there's that.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:01 am

I'm not a fan of the musical number during the In Memoriam segment and preferred it when they would play some sound clips of the fallen. Having to listen to Celine Dion instead of Leslie Neilson saying "Don't call me Shirley" still wrankles.

I am glad that they did something for Roger Ebert even though critics are outside their normal purview on the montage. I heard there were some people not pleased by Whoopi paying tribute to Siskel when he died. Anyway Ebert did film a huge service.

Likewise James Gandolfini featuring there even though he was really a bigger TV actor.

Instead of Midler I wish they'd have used that time for Steve Martin's special Oscar. I did at least get a glance at Ruprecht though.

Nice to see a residual shout out to Phillip Michael Thomas and 30 Rock with the EGOT mention.

Every time they mentioned Steve McQueen, I thought I was mistaken that Bullit died in 1980.

The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 am

I thought it was supremely tasteful. And dull. When the most controversial thing that happens is John Travolta mangling someone's name I find myself longing for someone to make an inappropriate political speech or perform some cracked out dream sequence in song and dance.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:11 am

That "heroes" theme, or what they tried to pass off as a theme, was one of the dumbest ones I've ever seen at the Oscars. Super-brief clips of movie characters who can remotely be described as "heroic" deserves airtime more than Steve Martin's honorary Oscar or an individual montage for an actual film legend like Shirley Temple? Bah.

Can't decide on my favorite gaffe - "Adele Dazeem" or Rolling Stone tweeting that 12 Years a Slave was the first film directed by an African-AMERICAN to win Best Picture.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:40 pm

This is the first time I've watched the full telecast since like 1998, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would and there was less filler than I expected.

So true about the first point--I noticed it right away for Jared Leto's win. I kept waiting for the band to kick in, but it didn't. I know the band started in after one of a pair of winners finished their thanks, so the other guy didn't get to say his piece, but otherwise, don't remember anyone being played off

Me too, I was wondering at first if Jared got more time because he was the first winner to speak, but then it went on all night. I'm glad for that, I would have hated to see Matthew McConaughy's cute speech cut off, plus I always just find it so rude. I did feel bad for the second guy in that pair, that's gotta suck.

6. Matthew McConaughey being delightfully like a character he might play. Sweet and possibly stoned and enthusiastic and making no sense. But somehow making all the sense in the world. Alright alright alright.

He was adorable all night, his excitement about being nominated was really sweet and I was so glad he won. Also, he looks better than he has any right to, he's barely changed since A Time to Kill.

I also loved Lupita's speech, she is adorable. It cracks me up that her brother managed to get himself front and center of that selfie with the stars.

The pizza gag wasn't that funny, but I did love pregnant Kerry Washington's enthusiasm when Ellen asked if anyone wanted pizza. Her hand shot right up.

Jennifer Lawrence's fall is pretty hysterical. I don't know who the woman in front of her is, but she almost got taken out big-time. I want the internet to do something with that clip if they haven't already.

Speaking of the red carpet, I thought Tyson Beckford was pretty terrible in his role but the one highlight was him calling Julia Roberts "Jessica Roberts." Heehee.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:43 pm

mayram wrote:The pizza gag wasn't that funny, but I did love pregnant Kerry Washington's enthusiasm when Ellen asked if anyone wanted pizza. Her hand shot right up.
Also as an LA area denizen, I was entertained that it was Big Mama's & Papa's Pizza, which is only in LA. Good For them. Since it wasn't a national chain, I wonder if BMPP just sent pizza over to play with the gag and see what happened - they've got a shop about three blocks away. (I would have expected them to send one of these though.)

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:06 pm

I watched Angelina, Steve Martin, and Angela Lansbury's honorary Oscar speeches back when those awards were given out in November, and I actually rather like that it's separate. It gives everyone the time to give a thoughtful, meaningful speech without feeling rushed off stage or being subjected to millions of "bathroom break" twitter jokes.

I wonder if BMPP just sent pizza over to play with the gag and see what happened - they've got a shop about three blocks away.

It looks like they really did order it (the tip is amazing).
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:50 pm

That's a lot of pizza.

More info on the most popular tweet ever.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:20 pm

If these producers will promise to not play anyone off and to mute the applause during the during the "In Memoriam" segment, they can stick around as long as they like. I was so glad that everyone who won got the chance to give their speech. It was a very classy thing to do. As long as no one goes all Louise Rainier up there, just let them talk.

Ellen was OK. I thought her monologue to start the show was good, but the audience bits were much less successful. I think if she had just ordered the pizza, and then brought it out, it would have been a funnier bit. But I did enjoy watching the people in the front rows chow down. You could tell they really were HUNGRY. Personally I'm hoping the fact that Jennifer Lawrence chowed down on a slice while wearing Dior is enough to get them to cancel her contract.

Since he got such a good reaction this year, maybe they can ask Kevin Spacey to host next year? He seems to have a good sense of humor, he's popular in the Academy, and since he's actually won twice, we don't get any jokes about never winning anything.

I actually don't mind the usual Oscar montages, but this year they were pretty sucky, and didn't make a while lot of sense. Who knew that presidents are ordinary people? And how about getting more than a handful of women in there?

I would also LOVE to find out if something funky was going on with the teleprompter last night. An awful lot of people flubbed their lines which makes me think something hinky was going on, and it wasn't just nerves.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm

emrie wrote:
1. I don't think I heard them play off a single person. Not even the unknowns. Everyone got a chance to finish their speech. I've never seen that happen before!

While he did get to speak when he won for best director they played off Curaon as he was approaching the mike for best editing after his partners speech.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Agent Sculder wrote:...

Since he got such a  good reaction this year, maybe they can ask Kevin Spacey to host next year?  He seems to have a good sense of humor, he's popular in the Academy, and since he's actually won twice, we don't get any jokes about never winning anything.

He was on Jimmy Kimmel's after-Oscars show and Kimmel asked him if he'd want to do that and he basically said that he would love to do it and proceeded to do several imitations, including Carson. I think he'd be excellent at it as well.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:09 pm

I would also LOVE to find out if something funky was going on with the teleprompter last night. An awful lot of people flubbed their lines which makes me think something hinky was going on, and it wasn't just nerves.

I missed the John Travolta/Idina Menzel moment last night, but I saw a clip of it today and holy cow. I HOPE the teleprompter was screwy because how in the hell do you get "Adele Dazeem" from "Idina Menzel"?

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top