Cookbooks and Food Blogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cookbooks and Food Blogs

Post  VodouDoll on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Let's talk about favorite cookbooks and food blogs! I recently read the Momofuku cookbook straight through like a novel, and it was wonderful.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookbooks and Food Blogs

Post  biakbiak on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:07 am

I really enjoy the way Peter Meehan writes, he wrote Momofuku with Chang. And I I like their magazine Lucky Peach.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 am

There's a really lovely Australian baking blog I read called Raspberri Cupcakes, and she makes a lot of really delicious stuff, often with an interesting twist (macarons in particular), and her photography and food styling is so pretty.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm

I adore Smitten Kitchen. She just published her cookbook, and I bought it for my sister for her birthday.

Just Bento is also nice for recipes for use in Bento Boxes and also visuals of cool/cute boxes. She also put out a cookbook a few years ago.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:28 pm

Smitten Kitchen is the best! I've gotten so many great recipes from that site. The cookies I make as gifts for people at ChristmaHannuKwanzaRohatsuYule and Atheist Children Get Presents Day came from that site and not only are they delicious, but they come out looking picture perfect, too!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:17 pm

I like Annie's Eats a lot, and I feel like 90% of my dinner staples come from there. In fact, just this week alone, I made this French onion grilled cheese  and these ham and cheese sliders.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Add me to the list of Smitten Kitchen fans. This recipe is my daughter's favorite, to the point where she almost cries when I make it because she's so excited.
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I have to check all these blogs! They seem inspiring!

I recently bought 2 health related cookbooks to help me be healthier: 500 low glycemic index recipes (which I like b/c they are simple) & the wheat belly cookbook. The latter seems complicated, but I also notice they tend to be flavourful, healthy recipes.

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:41 pm

I also love Smitten Kitchen. In addition, I like Indian Simmer and Not Without Salt.

biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 pm

My sister made this Smitten Kitchen Chocolate Hazelnut Macaroon Torte last passover and it was a huge hit.

I've been poking around some paleo blogs because I'm thinking about trying it out. I'm going more towards the vegetarian/vegan end, so no random bacon recipes for me. It definitely cuts down on the available recipes - they certainly do love their bacon.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:32 am

Raksha wrote:Smitten Kitchen is the best!  I've gotten so many great recipes from that site.  The cookies I make as gifts for people at ChristmaHannuKwanzaRohatsuYule and Atheist Children Get Presents Day came from that site and not only are they delicious, but they come out looking picture perfect, too!
Another SK fan here, I don't think I've ever had a single recipe of hers come out badly. Raksha, what cookies are these?
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:14 am

I usually make the snickerdoodles, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and brownie roll-out cookies. Sometimes I'll shake things up and throw in a macaroon or triple chocolate chip cookie (both recipes I have from elsewhere, written on cards). But anything I've ever made from that site has been a big hit!

Another cooking site I like is Chocolate Covered Katie. She's got a bunch of lower calorie sweets recipes, which I find helpful and tasty.

Vegan Yum Yum is no longer updating, but the recipes there already are lovely.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 am

Can someone recommend a good vegetarian recipe blog or cookbook? My son thinks it would be good if we ate veggie a couple of times a week but I find a lot of recipes I've seen have weird ingredients in them that wouldn't normally be in my kitchen. I'd like some recipes that don't have a bunch of weird stuff in them that would go to waste if I didn't use them that often.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:30 am

My favorite vegetarian cookbook is Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi. His recipes for polenta made from fresh corn and feta, then topped with eggplant/tomato sauce, and for Brussels sprouts with tofu and mushrooms are so freaking delicious, they're worth the cost of the book alone.

Food52 also has a weekly vegetarian cooking column that I've found very tasty. The spaghetti with fried eggs and braised whole scallions that they posted a little while ago is on my list of things to try.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 pm

I love Dinner A Love Story for the writing and the ideas about how to make dinner during the workweek seem more manageable. I got both that cookbook and SmittenKitchen's for Christmas last year and am amazed at how much I turn to both of them. One thing I particularly appreciate is that for both of them, the majority of the cookbook recipes are new - I hate to feel like I'm buying something I could get for free online.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:08 pm

For baking, I like The Minimalist Baker, which I THINK is vegan. If not entirely vegan, many many of their recipes are, and they all look delicious and are pretty simple.

The Kitchn is probably my favorite general food website, especially their Delicious Links feature, which showcases dishes from other blogs. The food photography on them is always gorgeous, and the recipes are usually pretty diverse.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:17 pm

I think Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian is a great resource, and like in his Minimalist column on the NYTimes, he tends to do pretty simple recipes without a ton of wacko ingredients that you can't find anywhere. He also offers a lot of variations on a base recipe, so that's cool, because you can play around with stuff and figure out what you like.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:35 pm

I really like Budget Bytes and have made lots of her recipes. Last week I made cajun chicken pasta and I was almost pulling veggies and chicken out of the pan to eat it smelled so good while cooking. It also tasted great once it was all pulled together!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:08 pm

A question for you guys: We have a Cooking and Recipes Thread in Community and this thread in Literature and Multimedia. There is overlap but this is more specific. Options are:

1) Leave it as it is, it's fine.
2) Merge this with the older thread in Community.

Opinions? Basically I wasn't sure if this thread was created by accident because someone didn't know about the older thread, or if this is truly just a separate topic.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I made the thread because I thought the cooking thread was more for things we're cooking, and this thread is for books and websites about cooking. I had just read a really beautifully-written cookbook and wanted to post about it. Everyone else might prefer to merge with the other thread, though. Sorry if I've stepped on any toes!

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:52 pm

I don't mind two different threads. This one can give us a place to discuss the occasional food blog kerfluffle and the like too.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Zero toes stepped on, no sorrys needed. I'm trying to prevent inadvertent thread-sprawl, not people doing things intentionally. (And even if it had been, I wanted to know if people liked it the way it was.)

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Gilraen wrote:I don't mind two different threads.  This one can give us a place to discuss the occasional food blog kerfluffle and the like too.
Psychotic food blog fans? I like it.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Does anyone read Canal House Cooks Lunch? They post beautiful pictures of their lunch every day. Part of me likes looking at the pictures, but most of me can't read it without thinking "who are these people and how do I get their life?" I seriously have no idea.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top