The Originals

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Originals

Post  Kiran on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Anyone else watching and loving this? I find it a lot of fun. Like TVD's older sister. The "pilot" was meh, mostly because it was a rehash of the backdoor pilot, but I've really enjoyed the two episodes since and am even getting intrigued by the love triangle of Marcel/Cami/Klaus. I love that trope of falling for the person you are using. Have since Alan-Michael and Harley on Guiding Light.

The cast is all great too. Charles Michael David is a real find as Marcel. He has that same gift Joseph Morgan has of being evil yet weirdly likable. And even Phoebe Tonkin is better here. Not good mind you. But better.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Re: The Originals

Post  xyzzy on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:41 am

Watching, but not yet loving. It feels a bit messy. I think the show would be a lot better if Elijah weren't daggered in a box; the audience needs someone to like, and Klaus and Rebeccah are really tough to empathize with. The diary bits where Elijah de-mystifies his siblings a bit were helpful, but I'd rather he just be in the show.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:51 am

I do agree, especially since we know hes going to be undaggered soon enough, but I'm enjoying the Marcel and Klaus evil off so far over it.

I do think part of the reason I am liking it so much is because with the exception of Brooklyn 9-9 and Sleepy Hollow most of the other pilots have fallen completely flat for me. So this show isn't perfect by any means, but I am enjoying it.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:19 pm

I like Rebekah quite a bit more here than on TVD. Part of that is that she's doing more than shrieking or whining, which is nice. I also liked how she softened with Hayley in the second episode. But yeah, I miss Elijah and the calming energy he brings. Also the hotness.

I find the show's gender dynamics pretty repulsive right now, with the witches all submissive to Marcel, but especially w/r/t Hayley. The witches also treat her as an object, not a person, and are perfectly willing to kill her even though she is conceivably on their side. That doesn't make me like them, and I think we're supposed to root for them. I find them all weak-willed and irritating.

I would see the show as commenting on the oppression of women versus perpetrating it, if Hayley herself had more agency or autonomy. But instead she mostly serves to ask questions about the Mikaelsons so that we can get more exposition about them. It's frustrating. And I know this is a new show, so there's no avoiding this, but I could not care less to hear more and more backstory about the Mikaelsons. I've heard about it for three seasons on TVD. I'm over it.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I missed ep 3, but I loved the second one, I should have known D would take the Incesty Vibes to 11, and I'm just.so.happy!

Phoebe Tonkin is still just whatever to me, but I like the witch who wants to kick Marcel's ass and I hope she and Elijah make some snarky sex together, as soon as he's undaggered.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm enjoying it, mostly cos I like Klaus. I'm missing him on Vampire Diaries though.

I found the last episode had Klaus talking a lot. He was explaining the plot to every other character. I was meh about that.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:14 am

I think the show would be a lot better if Elijah weren't daggered in a box; the audience needs someone to like, and Klaus and Rebeccah are really tough to empathize with.
ITA. This is why I'm liking it but not loving it. None of them are likeable and neither is Marcel. I'm not big on anti-hero protagonists. I get that Klaus wants what Marcel has but it just seems too petulant. Klaus just wants the shiniest toy and he's using a pretty flimsy premise to get it. They left Marcel for dead and now Klaus is mad that Marcel didn't track him down instead of feeling abandoned by the only father he knew, ditched by his true love, and instead of wallowing in it made a kingdom. OK then.

WRT Marcel and Davina I wonder what the real power dynamic is. He wants to give Elijah back and it seems like she didn't let him? Maybe he can only run NOLA as long as she's running him? Which of course is the perfect woobifyer for when Marcel's arc turns.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:38 pm

Whenever anyone mentions Sophie Devereaux, am I the only one who gets momentarily confused because I'm thinking of another, clearly superior, Sophie Devereaux? It's very disappointing to remember which one they're actually talking about.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:43 pm

I always expected to like the show just because I loves me some Klaus in all his childish and petty glory. But I never expected to really really legit enjoy it like I do now. Even Phoebe Tonkin isn't getting on my nerves and god help me but I like the vibe between her and Elijah. Oh, Elijah. He is just so very...ungh.

I actually didn't really care for Marcel at first mostly because of the actor, but he's proven he's not just Evil or stupid so I'm warming up to him. The convoluted witch plot doesn't bother me though I'm not crazy about Sofie. I'm intrigued by the priest but Cami can go far far away any time now. The actress is weak and manages to suck the life out of every scene she's in.

My favorite thing about the show though is the OG family dynamic. They strike that perfect balance of love/annoyance that only family can bring out in each other. And, they're funny! I've had at least one LOL moment in every episode.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:27 am

I'm really enjoying it these days too. At this point, I could take or leave Sophie, Cami, and Davina (I'm most interested in her story, and she's adorable, but the actress is notably weaker than the rest of the cast, and that's hard to ignore). Most surprisingly, like you, I am invested in Hayley now. Phoebe Tonkin has been doing great with what has honestly not been that great a role to play--she's basically the "moonstone" much of the time--but now I'm kind of obsessed with her relationships with each of the OGs. And of course, their relationships with each other. Oh God, how awesome was Elijah in this week's episode???
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:31 pm

I feel like they're working overtime to get me to like Cami, but I don't. Also, it cracks me up that every week on this show, someone sits down and tells a story to someone else so that we can get in all this Days of Yore stuff.

That said, I love the Originals themselves -- I am not sure how engaging this show would be if you were new to the world, but as a Vampire Diaries watcher, it's brought over the bits I like best about them and blossomed it in an interesting way. Can't imagine coming to it fresh, though. Do you need years of loving Klaus to put up with his shenanigans? Do you need years of loving Elijah to care that he was in a box, and that Rebekah wanted him out? I don't know. But my fear was that VD would suffer without them, and it has.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:09 pm

I knew it was just a matter of time before more parties got involved in trying to kill this baby, but I'm sad that they needed to make Tyler completely reprehensible in order to do that. I liked seeing him, and I even sort of believe that having both of his parents killed and severing his relationship to Caroline (maybe the only thing keeping him "good") would push him to this kind of ruthlessness. But it still makes me sad that they've destroyed his character.

Anyway, I'm happy that they've done the work to make me root for Hayley and for her baby, because when I watched the backdoor pilot, I was convinced that that would never happen. And now I hate everyone working against her and the baby, and if that means that Tyler has to die, then so be it.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm not on his side but I don't think hes so much reprehensible as believably twisted by rage. I was kind of chuckling when Klaus went through all of the things hes done to Tyler (starting with made a move on his girl to "the little situation with his mother") and we got the flashbacks. Only that show could do that and still have you kind of be on Team Klaus.

I'm really liking this show and I'll go against the grain and say I don't mind Cami. I don't care about her brother really but I am liking her compulsion story with Klaus because I think this is the first time they've really gone into the ethics of that on either show. And I always enjoy it when Klaus actually likes someone as a person. Its weirdly charming.

I too am stunned at how much I like Hayley. Phoebe Tonkin is a markedly better actor around Joseph Morgan and Daniel Gillies then she is anyone else, and I don't know what thats about. I do think they are both very good, but I don't know if its that or just they both have really good chemistry with her. But it was noticable because I thought she was not nearly as good of an actor around Michael Trevino tonight, and I thought he was himself, very good.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Yeah, like I said, it's believable that Tyler would go this route, and while I like that everyone on this show has motivations that make their actions understandable and sometimes even honorable, all the people in favor of killing a baby are on the No-No side. And I'm just sad that Tyler is on that side, because that ruins him for me. I have this feeling--now that he's not a regular on TVD anymore--that whatever happens this season on TO is the end of his story. I hope that that ending is a positive one, but this makes me feel like he's going out a villain, and that is a bummer.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 pm

I wonder if they're just trying to figure out a way to keep him -- Tyler is kind of suspended between the two shows, and maybe they're hoping he'll gel on one or the other. You know, different writing staffs, different ideas, etc.

I was kind of chuckling when Klaus went through all of the things hes done to Tyler (starting with made a move on his girl to "the little situation with his mother") and we got the flashbacks. Only that show could do that and still have you kind of be on Team Klaus.
That is TRUE. WHY am I team Klaus? And yet I'm Team Klaus, and I'm all, "Oh, whatever, Tyler, he killed your mother, blah blah blah, shut up." That is TERRIBLE and yet... Klaus!

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm thinking if they're going to take cues from Twilight with the miracle vamp pregnancy and all, they should go the whole hog and have Tyler imprint on the baby.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Right? He's awful but so great. Joseph Morgan was such a find.

Yeah I feel like they might keep Tyler as a likable antagonist. The character really is at his most interesting when dealing with his Klaus created and related issues IMO.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:08 am

Yup, still loving Klaus. He's like a deadly killer 5-year old and Joseph Morgan is fabulous. I'm also really liking Charles Michael Davis as Marcellus, and I like the vibe between him and JM. I really get a sense of the complicated history between the two.

The weakest links continue to be Cami and Divina, but mostly Cami. I figured out this week that it's more about the actress than the character for me. On paper, Cami is a smart cookie caught up in circumstances beyond her control or imagination. But the actress is...soap opera-ish in a way that undercuts the character and makes Cami feel fake to me.

My favorite thing continues to be the family interactions between the OG's. That family dynamic is so fucked up but that's what makes it so fascinating to me. The last scene between Klaus and Elijah this week was so beautifully acted and conveyed so much.

And Daniel Gillies in a pea coat? Swoon.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:57 pm

I feel the opposite (except about the pea coat, because YES, and about the actors and their chemistry). I'm enjoying The Originals--more than TVD right now--but I'm at the end of my rope with Klaus. I'm tired of seeing the exact same emotional beats from him in every episode (and every episode of TVD before these), with no discernible change. And I'm sick of his abuse victims having to apologize to him constantly, and the show being so ambivalent about that. Like, I think they are intentionally establishing that he is perpetuating domestic violence on Elijah and Rebekah, and that they have internalized his abuse in the classic ways. But at the same time, the show seems to take his side. The scene where Cami is crying for him, oh poor baby Klaus, his dad was a monster and his brother didn't help him either that one time, boo hoo hoo, so so sad, and isn't Klaus so wonderful for compelling her to leave and sacrificing their wonderful friendship? YOU'VE HAD 1,000 YEARS TO GET OVER IT. YOU ARE THE WORST.

And that scene at the end where Elijah had to apologize for momentarily believing that Klaus would do something very Klaus-like, while Klaus didn't apologize and NEVER HAS for staking him, torturing him, killing people he loves. Yes, the actors are wonderful and have great brotherly chemistry. But I am so tired of Klaus and his stupid pain. Your whole family has pain! You've caused most of it! The only way I can watch this show is with Klaus as the Big Bad in my mind, but it's hard when he's also the main character and the show spends so much time mooning over him.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Yeah, I totally get it. I feel similarly about Damon on TVD and how everybody on the show seems to forget the horrible things that Damon's done when it's convenient, so in turn I feel like the show is telling me I should forget too because it was all for the love of Katherine Elena or whatever. And don't get me wrong, Klaus gets on my nerves too because he is SO WRONG ALL THE TIME. He really truly does not learn from his mistakes and yet Elijah and Rebekah still fall all over themselves to make Klaus feel like a special snowflake.

But I can't help it, he amuses me. The show has a good enough balance for me between "Klaus is an idiot", "Klaus is a woobie", and "Klaus is a sociopath" to keep me invested in finding out what he's going to be up to next. Every now and then, he surprises me. I'm fascinated by how he keeps trying to create a family with other people who are so similar to his family --deadly killers with a charming facade = Stefan/Marcellus/Elijah--while managing to treat his actual family like shit. And it cracks me up how he keeps trying to date his sister.

One thing we can agree on though -- I'm enjoying The Originals WAY more than TVD right now.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:37 am

I had all the episodes of this show on my DVR and had a marathon. I loved it!

I'm not watching TVD anymore because it got too complicated for no reason. It wasn't enjoyable for me to watch.

I am really, really liking The Originals, though. Yes, Klaus is still a whiny crybaby, but it's much less obnoxious when his nefarious plans are NOT hitting on high school girls. I've always enjoyed his interaction with the family the most, and I'm glad they're really getting into it (duh, it's called The Originals).

I can not believe that I am so invested in Hayley, a character I barely had time for on TVD. I agree with what someone said (Kiran?), her acting is MUCH improved when she's in a scene with Claire Holt, Joseph Morgan, or Daniel Gillies. Oh Daniel Gillies. Oh Elijah. The chemistry between them is AWESOME, even in a Jerry-Springer, I want my brother's babymama kind of way. Then again, Elijah is my all-time favorite character in this universe, so I'm happy to see him not so exposition-y and broody on this show.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:08 pm

Since I CAN'T EVEN with TVD right now despite liking the last episode more than I have in...forever it feels like, I'm going to talk about this show and how much I'm loving it right now. I mean, it's making me like Hayley. Hayley! I think that's coming from Elijah's ability to make everything fabulous though.

The weird thing is I don't feel like much has happened so far, but I feel like they've created some really strong characters so I don't care. I love all the OG's--Klaus' pettiness and childish behavior; Rebekah's struggle to break free of her brothers' manipulations; Elijah's charming villainy. Marcel & Klaus' relationship is so complicated and I feel like there's a lot of good story to mine with them. Davina grew on me. She was just so cute with Josh and at the end of the day she was ultimately innocent. I was more disturbed by her death than I ever thought I would be. And this latest twist with Celeste has me intrigued.

My only complaint? Cammie. She can go far far away any time now. Oh and Sophie. Both of them bore me to tears and the actresses' portrayals aren't helping at all.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:10 pm

So, Sophie is dead and will stay dead, right? Maybe Monique can go talk to Cammie next.
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:54 am

jensa wrote:So, Sophie is dead and will stay dead, right?   

Spoiler:
The actress has been cast on another show, so I think it's a pretty good bet.  And good, I say!  She only made me miss the One True Sophie Devereaux (the one from Leverage)

In other news, I've become utterly obsessed with this show in the last few weeks.  I liked it okay from the beginning, but the last few weeks they've been on fire.  And now there's nothing for the next several weeks and it hurts me.  Tonight I've been trying to use fanvids to fill the void and I've actually found a couple of excellent ones ("Light 'Em Up" and "Rule the World" are the absolute best, so far).

Anyone else have any suggestions?  Vids? Fic? Meta? Funny gif sets on tumblr?

ETA: Also, pissed off and vengeful Elijah is the best Elijah. Can't wait to see him destroy some people!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 pm

How did I not know that Price Peterson was back at TV.com and reviewing The Originals?

His photo recaps of The Vampire Diaries are some of my favorite things on the internet. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top