Misheard Music Lyrics

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Misheard Music Lyrics

Post  gannetguts on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:43 am

Dancing juice doesn't make that much sense either!

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Bruno might have snorted a fair bit of coke or something (allegedly) before writing that lyric.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Embarrassingly, I've just realised that Bruce Springsteen was not singing about a bridge in disguise, but a "brilliant disguise".

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:37 pm

My entire life, I thought that in "Smooth Criminal" Michael Jackson was asking, "Annie, are you walking?" Like, her house was broken into, but it's okay, because she was out for a walk! She's just fine, no need to worry, and she'll be back any second. But after seeing the MJ Glee episode I realized that it's actually, "Annie, are you okay?" which changes the whole song. Now instead of being out for a stroll, she's lying dead in her bedroom or something. Thanks, Glee.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 pm

I can't tell you how many times Glee has cleared up lyric confusion for me.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:39 pm

VodouDoll, I always thought it was "Eddie, are you okay?" when I was a kid. I think the Alien Ant Farm cover from years ago is what made me finally realize it was "Annie" instead.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks to Glee doing Grease I pulled out my Grease soundtrack today. It reminded me for years that I thought the line in the "The One That I Want" was "my babe is justified" instead of "my faith". Something about the way he asked if she's sure and she says she's sure deep inside made me think she was saying she was pregnant. Don't know where I even got that from.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:42 pm

When I was little, I thought the American national anthem was "Jose, can you see by the donzerly light?" and it was about a dad asking his little boy named Jose if he could see what was going on. And I thought the donzerly light was a spotlight.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:59 pm

big chicken, that reminds me of Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary. Ramona starts kindergarten thinks the words in The Star-Spangled Banner are "dawnzer lee light." She decides that a dawnzer is a lamp.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Dachelle on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 am

This morning, I had a revelation. The lyrics to The Wombats' "Kill the Director" do not, in fact, go "Carrot Top is seen much better in the dark," but "Carrots help us see much better in the dark." In my defense, the misheard lyric is actually true.

Dachelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 am

Carrots help us see Carrot Top better in the dark. which is why I'll have nothing with to do them!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 am

Yeah, but if you eat enough carrots you can see him coming and run the other way. Reason enough, in my opinion.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:09 pm

That is an altogether very good point.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:04 am

whatthedeuce wrote:VodouDoll, I always thought it was "Eddie, are you okay?" when I was a kid. I think the Alien Ant Farm cover from years ago is what made me finally realize it was "Annie" instead.

I heard Annie, all right. "Annie are you Oakley, are you Oakley, Annie."
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:29 pm

I thought it was "Annie, are you walking? Are you walking, Annie?"

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:26 pm

The criminal was far too smooth, so sadly, Annie is no longer walking.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Just today I remembered that I misheard the line "Mongrels who ain't got a penny sniffing for tidbits like you" (from 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road') as "...tiffys like you". I had no idea what a tiffy was, but ultimately decided it was a some kind of dog like a poodle, for some reason.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 pm

My husband thinks I'm crazy because I sing "shooting some meatballs at the side of the school" instead of "b-balls" when I sing The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song. I say it's commonly misheard that way and he says no way. He thinks "meatballs" doesn't make sense so of course no one hears it that way but I'm right, aren't I? I mean, if you Google it that's the first thing you see.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:22 pm

I've only ever heard "b-ball", but that might be because the image to go along with that lyric is him playing basketball.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Seeing as how it's been a lifelong dream to get into a food fight (dead serious about that), I'd actually love to shoot meatballs outside of a school. I only ever hear "b-balls" when I sing the theme song though, unfortunately.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:53 am

So for YEARS (like, since I first watched the animated movie as a little kid) I thought the line in "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" went
Yalso is an appalling donkey overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable.
I just assumed that Yalso was another creature, like the seasick crocodile, that the singer was comparing the Grinch to. Apparently, it's "your soul is an appalling dump heap" which I guess makes a little more sense than a donkey randomly named Yalso. Though I think Yalso, the rubbish-toting donkey would make a great Dr. Seuss character.

(To be fair, I've heard "donkey" pronounced "dunkey" by many, many people over the years, and it's not hard to get there from "dump heap".)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:17 pm

That's maybe the most adorable misheard lyric ever mentioned at SF. I wish there were a Seuss donkey named Yalso!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:21 am

I constantly hear the [stupid punctuation]fun lyric "Some nights I wish my hands could build a castle" as "MICE could build a castle" and think, Well, sure, mice could build a castle, but it'd be so TINY.

Apparently that song turns me into Zoolander.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:58 am

That's OK. I just realized this year that the singer in Santa Baby is asking for "A platinum mine" and not "a flat on the line" like an apartment near the subway. In my defense, I hate that song, so...
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:00 am

I keep hearing the line from Of Monsters and Men's "Little Talks" as "This shit will carry our bodies safe to shore" instead of "This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore".

Also, I used to think it was "My body lies over the ocean, My body lies over the sea, My body lies over the ocean, so bring back my body to me" and it wasn't until I was well into my twenties that I found out that song is about a girl named Bonnie (or the exiled Prince Charles) and NOT about astral projection or an out-of-body experience.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top