X-Men films

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: X-Men films

Post  Carrie Ann on Fri May 23, 2014 11:21 am

It's exciting to read all these positive reviews! But I was disappointed by First Class, aside from Fassbender/McAvoy, which was like an A+ while I thought everything else was about a C. With that in mind, did you guys feel like this was an improvement?
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Fri May 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Loved it, loved quicksilver, his scenes were wonderful. Also happy to see Omar Cy. Was there a scene after the credits we didn't stay and I was wondering.
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri May 23, 2014 11:54 pm

There is.

Spoiler:
We see Apocalypse/En Sabah Nur as a teenager constructing one of the Great Pyramids with his mind while a throng of cultists chant his name. The camera pans around so that we can see his face and over his shoulder the Four Horsemen.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Sat May 24, 2014 12:01 am

Thanks! Very exciting
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Sat May 24, 2014 11:39 pm

Just saw it. Liked it but did not love it--it seemed really dark and muddy in the 'future' scenes so that marred it for me slightly. I don't know X-Men but I know enough that I LOL'd at Peters
Spoiler:
you can move metal? My mom used to know a guy who could do that..."
I feel like I need to rewatch all of the X-Men films before a rewatch cuz it seems that if you don't know the existing canon you would be a bit confused which I have not found to be the case with the MCU.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon May 26, 2014 12:13 am

dday515 wrote:So, I loved it, very very very much. Totally worth the tiredness this morning.

Lots of non-coherent thoughts that will hopefully coalesce into something more substantial later, but I just have to say:

Casting Spoiler:
Anna Paquin's agent needs a raise. Managed to get home-girl billing OVER Ellen Page, when Ellen Page actually had lines and an importance to the plot, whereas Anna had a blink and you'll miss it cameo. (Yes, I know her scenes were cut from the film, but still...)

Spoiler:
It might be a carryover from earlier contracts, since she was billed over Page in Last Stand, so where she gets billed in any sequel she appears in is locked into a certain placement.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon May 26, 2014 12:36 am

I also think it might be
Spoiler:
because of True Blood she's more high profile in some ways. And also because her part was cut relatively late.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon May 26, 2014 1:07 am

I went in expecting the worst and I was very happy to be proven wrong. That was pretty fun. When
Spoiler:
Blink "died" the first time I was like damn it, why does Blink always die?? LOL I hope they bring her back for AoA. Loved seeing her and all the rest of the future X-Men, including Warpath.

Also I discovered I had a kindred spirit at the end of the movie when Jean Grey appeared (ugh) and wanted to know why Logan was staring at her, the kid in front of me shouted out something along the lines of "because you're supposed to be dead damn it." I knew they were going to bring her back. At least they also brought back Cyclops. I don't know how I didn't get spoiled for either return.

The post credit scene with worshipers shouting Apocalypse's name while he builds his flying pyramid and the four horseman stood off in the distance was an awesome geeky thrill for me. Age of Apocalypse was around the time I started buying my own comics and not just reading my cousin's old issues so I have a lot of love for that storyline.

Eric shooting Raven didn't surprise me too much. This is the same guy who, in the future, drops her when she gets injected with the cure in X3. So shooting her to keep Trask from taking her DNA, yeah that makes sense.

Quicksilver was so much better than I thought he was going to be! I loved the shoutout to Magneto being his father. Yay.

Ok, I'm finally back on board with X-Men movies again.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon May 26, 2014 1:30 am

My wife, who is really NOT a superhero movie fan, LOVED Quicksilver.

When they
Spoiler:
left him behind to go to Paris, she was all, "No! They should take Peter with them! They need him!"
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam on Mon May 26, 2014 4:43 pm

I saw it on Saturday and absolutely loved it. Though I have a headache and am not thinking too clearly so I'll just state my initial reaction of Magneto is a total fucking badass.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 am

This was fantastic. Fassbender and McAvoy have so much chemistry. Also Michael Fassbender needs to wear 70s sunglasses and hats all the time, because damn.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue May 27, 2014 12:55 pm

It was everything I wanted, especially since

Spoiler:
IT MADE IT LIKE X-MEN 3 NEVER EXISTED.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Tue May 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Yeah,
Spoiler:
was the Professor supposed to have died in X3? Don't think there was any explanation for why he'd be around in the end, but I don't mind at all.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue May 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Fiametta -

Spoiler:
Xavier died in The Last Stand, but the end credits scene for that movie shows him possessing the body of the coma patient that Moira McTaggart was caring for. Then the scene at the end of The Wolverine showed him and Magneto approaching Logan at an airport. So no explanation's been given as to how he got from point A to point B and from there to point Z however many years after the airport scene, but there was, at least, some set up.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue May 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Or why
Spoiler:
Moira was in her early 30s and a CIA agent in the 60s and then a Scottish doctor in her late 30s in the 2000s.
I've read so many articles pointing out the still messed up continuity issues that my head started to hurt.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa on Tue May 27, 2014 3:13 pm

Here is a pretty good article pointing out some of the bigger continuity problems. (Spoilers!)

Saw the movie on Saturday and loved it so very much.  Fassbender and McAvoy seem to be having so much fun.
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue May 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Well... since the only movies left in continuity are First Class and Days, almost every single one of those continuity snarls don't matter any more. I was thinking they were talking about continuity problems that still existed in the timeline, but they're not - all of them relate to how the older movies relate to each other, which isn't "canon" anymore.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue May 27, 2014 3:35 pm

It is still an incredibly slopping way to make movies.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 am

So does this kill the entire first three movies? Because if it does I'm just saying they can totally take advantage of the no-longer-inappropriate chemistry between Anna Paquin and Hugh Jackman. I am totally going down with that ship, y'all.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed May 28, 2014 1:09 am

So I finally got to see this today, and I loved it soooo much! So freaking much!

Quicksilver was amazing and I loved every moment of his scenes. Total scene stealer.

I loved the continuation of the decades long break up of Charles Xavier and Erik Lenhsherr.
Spoiler:
I really appreciated that while they both really wanted to be friends and they needed to work together against a common threat, that didn't mean that they automatically fall in on a plan and ended up on the same page as to how to fix that.

I like how they updated Mystique's makeup. It looks much less like paint than it ever has. It has always irritated me how shiny her makeup is in all the films (in the original trilogy, too). From what I've seen of the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer, they seem to have Gamora's makeup much more matte, so it looks more like real skin. So hopefully in the next X-film we'll get blue makeup that looks like blue skin.

Spoiler:
I was so freaking happy to see Cyclops and Jean again. I really loved James Marsden's performance as Cyclops and I've always thought his character got really short shrift in the movies. But at least he doesn't have a depressing off-screen death anymore! Sad that they couldn't have gone back a little further before Trask killed Angel, Emma Frost, and Banshee. When those last two were mentioned, I was so bummed because we'll can't have a Generation X movie now. Like we were ever getting a fucking Gen X movie, but whatever.

Also, I'm super happy there wasn't a single mention of Trask's size or anything, which is super fucking rare for little people even still. They just let Peter Dinklage be awesome and that was that. Very refreshing.

I loved the future X-Men so much. SO MUCH! I really hope we get more of them. As others have mentioned, their fight scenes were amazing. They really were thoughtful about how their various powers could be used together in a fight.

Cynara wrote:So does this kill the entire first three movies? Because if it does I'm just saying they can totally take advantage of the no-longer-inappropriate chemistry between Anna Paquin and Hugh Jackman. I am totally going down with that ship, y'all.

Well, it certainly kills the third movie (thank the Gods), but it doesn't necessarily negate everything about the first two movies. Xavier tracks everyone down like he promised Wolverine, so maybe there can be lots of totally appropriate chemistry now! I bought a ticket to that ship over a decade ago and I still ain't giving it up.

Nitpicks:
Halle Berry: Still phoning it in. Still the worst casting choice in any of these X-films.
Wolverine: I do love Hugh Jackman and I really, really enjoy his performance of Wolverine. But I've got major, major burnout on that character and it's not helping that I utterly fucking loathe him in the comics now, so that's definitely leaking through for me. But even on top of that, I do have a bit of comic fan butthurt because I just really wish it could have been Kitty who went back.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Wed May 28, 2014 2:21 am

Cynara wrote:So does this kill the entire first three movies? Because if it does I'm just saying they can totally take advantage of the no-longer-inappropriate chemistry between Anna Paquin and Hugh Jackman. I am totally going down with that ship, y'all.

Yes please. This needs to happen.

So, do I need to see First Class to make sense of this one? I never got around to it but will likely be seeing this one (a bunch of friends want to). I saw the first three, the most recent Wolverine one and know the general backstory.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed May 28, 2014 3:58 am

One thing I really liked was the Sentinels in the final battle

Spoiler:
imitating Emma and Darwin's powers. Not that it makes any sense, since both of them were dead long before the adaptive Sentinels came along, but I still liked it.

I don't think you need to see First Class - the only important plot threads you need to carry over are all explained in dialogue - Raven and Charles were childhood friends, Raven ditched Charles for Magneto, Magneto (inadvertently) shot Charles in the back by deflecting a bullet aimed at Magneto and paralyzed him.

But you should see it because for my money it's still the best of all the X-Movies.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed May 28, 2014 4:04 am

Poubelle wrote:So, do I need to see First Class to make sense of this one? I never got around to it but will likely be seeing this one (a bunch of friends want to). I saw the first three, the most recent Wolverine one and know the general backstory.

Hm, that's kind of a tough one. You can still follow the plot just fine without seeing the first one, but I think some of the emotional impact of the interactions between the characters would be lost. I don't think you'll be confused, like "why is that person acting like that with him/her?" but you know, some of the oomph factor might not be there.

First Class is a fun movie so I'd recommend you watch it anyway, but if you really don't feel like it just yet, you'd be okay.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Late to the party, but it was Pretty, Pretty, Pretty Good.

They nailed Quicksilver, using Peter David's ethos of the character as everyone was going to slow for him works, but it helped that they didn't make him as dickish (or incestuous) in the comics was a better choice. I agree that they fucked up not taking him to Paris. He should have at least shown up to the White House to fight the Sentinels.

Props for setting the kitchen sequence to Time in a Bottle even if it was a bit on the nose, using someone as mushy Jim Croce for an action sequence canceled that out.

After the mess that was the racial undertones of First Class, they improved the inclusiveness here. Managed to do it without Apache Chief level ham-fistedness either. It was great that they just plugged Peter Dinkledge into Bolivar Trask and never even mentioned him being a Little Person. Since Nick Fury effectively turned into Sam L Jackson, retconning Trask into Dinkledge should happen.

Their Nixon was distractingly bad. It doesn't help that we've seen it done better so many times.

Yay X-3 doesn't exist anymore! I choose the Utopian vision of Brett Ratner being wiped from history entirely. He's a mutant super villain whose power is to somehow get directing jobs despite zero ability.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:13 am

Deadpool was awesome. I think arguments that the movie had to be rated R don't really grok the PG-13 nature of Marvel's comics (except for MAX titles), but if there's a character that toes the line and should be pushed over it, it's this guy (and maybe the Punisher, but he's such a non-character most of the time).

Ryan Reynolds was phenomenal, even if I didn't really want to see Li'l Deadpool. But his line readings were dead on and the numerous cracks at his own career (and Hugh Jackman) were hilarious.

I really, really, really hope they're able to get Keira Knightley into the next movie as either a "dream sequence" or "alternate universe" version of Cable.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top