Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+68
Poubelle
Grainne Mhaol
big chicken
TiffanyNichelle
Melk
Kookla
mayram
Eris Rising
themis
truecrystal
dionneshea
Gillian
MaddyCat
spidey_88
emrie
Swarley
bbridges
Sheli
Binky
sagitare
shamoogity
The Dude
Morning Angel
The Glen
mrinsouciance
Putli Bai
xyzzy
vwlphb
gannetguts
biakbiak
Matinee
killershrew
Wildog27
Algae
Jude
nikita
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
naughty zoot
Kiran
laddical
punzy
ulkis
Unlucky Bear
Esseilte
RiverThames
Agent Sculder
katesti
Instant Monkeys
Bad Username
mokey75
Cynara
Coneycat
Carrie Ann
Gallifrey Girl
blixie
PrincessCleo
whatthedeuce
QueenSix
Snarryfan
bookworm
salamandersam
Red Wolf
PineappleGirl
Raksha
puddingcup
inversed
eventide82
72 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Movies at Home Empty Movies at Home

Post  eventide82 Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:16 am

Yeah, she was really great in Easy Virtue, but unmemorable in most other things.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Movies at Home Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  inversed Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 am

Hesher: what the hell was that? I have no idea if the audience was supposed to like Hesher, because he was a horrible and destructive person whose only redeeming quality was that he was kind of nice to the grandma. I could kind of write off the kid and the dad's total non-reactions to him because of their situation, but Natalie Portman's reaction actually offended me. The guy terrifies you in his car, tells you unbelievably crude stories, breaks into a pool, shoves you in, destroys a ton of property and SETS SHIT ON FIRE, then deserts you and you not only sit there and let it happen but you
Spoiler:
Why?? Because he helped you out when a guy was yelling at you? NO THAT IS NOT OKAY.

But I guess he's a hero because he's just SO METAL and
Spoiler:
Ugh, spare me. I trusted you, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and this is what I got!! Between this and Premium Rush, you are On Notice. At least Premium Rush didn't make me actively angry.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:45 am

Speaking of JGL, I just saw (500) Days of Summer last night. It was cute, like everybody said. I particularly appreciated that the movie avoided predictability,
Spoiler:
I've never seen Minka Kelly in anything before, but thought she was miscast. Her voice is a little creepy, and she was so generic in her small part.

It felt like Zooey D didn't "act" at all. That is totally how I imagine she's like in real life, down to the clothes and style.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:20 am

Today I saw The Science of Sleep. WTF did I just watch? Gael Garcia Bernal, you are a sexy, charming mofo, but this movie was weird as shit.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  PineappleGirl Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Finally (and I mean finally!) caught up with "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset," both of which had been on my list for ages. DELIGHTFUL. So lovely. I'm almost scared to watch "Before Midnight" because I feel like these two movies are so perfect and I know "Midnight" has like a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes so I'm sure it's great too, but these are just so lovely. And I never like Ethan Hawke in anything, and I loved him in these.
PineappleGirl
PineappleGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Beasts of the Southern Wild, WOW. I had put off watching it because I'd been told it was relentlessly dark and depressing and full of child abuse, but I didn't get that at ALL. Of course there's poverty, and Wink is not what you'd call an ideal father, but overall I felt the movie was pretty affirming about the power of community and the determination of childhood. I already thought Quvenzhane Wallis was awesome because of the way she stood her ground about her name (and her dog purse), but now I see why she was getting the attention in the first place.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:47 am

Now You See Me. Fun movie. However, it had a really dopey twist to it. That, or maybe I need to watch again. However, I can't be bothered watching again, I'm going to claim it was a dopey twist. Also, that ending. I'm not sure what it was about...

Also, Isla Fisher is Australian! Can't we have one Hollywood movie with an Australian playing an Australian? We either get Aussies playing Americans, British, Aesir, and the like, or the other way around. Every other white actor tries to do an Aussie accent and fails by quite some distance. It irritates me no end.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Saturday night I escaped the craziness at home by going to a friends and watching Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. It was so stupid and filled with inaccuracies regarding language, etc. And I kind of loved it. I needed something stupid and fun to take my mind off of things and it worked. I especially liked the humor of drawings of children on the milk bottles and the hotness that are Gemma Aterton and Jeremy Renner.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:35 pm

I rented The Sapphires this weekend, and I really liked it. The plot sometimes felt like there was a bit too much going on, but it had a good heart, and I really enjoyed the music and performances.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Olympus Has Fallen. Better than White House Down as the movie is Die Hard in the White House. Gerry Butler had coke bloat, Melissa Leo had terrible hair, and poor Morgan Freeman. Can he be President in a movie where everything is going ok? The movie is really violent, head shots everywhere, but that makes the tension work unlike White House Down which couldn't really follow through on making the bad guys bad due to the PG-13 rating.
Overall though, it did exactly what I wanted it to.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:41 pm

Oblivion. I liked the film and I thought this was one of Tom Cruise's more believable roles. It was entertaining sci-fi as opposed to anything ground breaking but that's fine.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:35 pm

That's the first positive review I've read about Oblivion. I was semi-interested in seeing it when I saw previews months ago, but then it got such poor word of mouth that I skipped it when it hit theaters.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Someone the other day was saying that it did turn out better than Elysium, so there's that, I guess?
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Oh it's no classic and there were some instances that were a bit stretching it and weren't fully explained. But it passed the time nicely which was really all I wanted.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I watched Damsels in Distress, and it was an utter delight, not least of all because Dukie from The Wire was in it and I realized he and Jay Bucharel are like twins. In any case I hope to see him in more stuff, glad to see Whit Stillman eventually recovered from the Last Days of Disco misstep. Greta Gerwig continues to be one of my favorite working young actresses, I love that she went from Whitman to Baumbach, it's like going from Howard Beach to Crown Heights, from the living room to the dining room!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:54 pm

I have had The Road sitting on my DVR for - literally! - a couple of years. I'd heard it was bleak but good, and I like Viggo. But it sat there, as I was never in the mood. I finally turned to it this weekend, and good grief, it's not bleak, it's BLEAK. Man. I gave it an hour, and then kind fast forwarded with occassional stops until the end. Sorry, Viggo!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:58 pm

The remake of Red Dawn. Not as bad as I thought. Chris Hemsworth is hot and Peeta Mellark gets to shout WOLVERINES!!

However, the dad does not get the chance to shout AVENGE ME!! from inside the re-education camp. That would have made it awesome.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 pm

In spite of the fact that I find male strippers to be one of the least sexy things ever, I decided to go ahead and watch Magic Mike. It was alright and I did like watching Channing Tatum dance. But good heavens, the love interest was dreadful! Such a dour, judgemental presence. Just awful.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Cody Horn is almost unanimously pinpointed as the worst part of that movie. I think "dour" really is the most apt adjective for her. Homegirl gives good bitchface though. I'll give her that.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:59 pm

The actress gets a lot of crap, and I'm not going to defend her, but I think the character was just poorly conceived. The part was written that way and Soderbergh could have directed her to play it differently if he wanted something else. It makes you wonder why he wouldn't notice how much she brings the whole thing down.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 am

I don't know why I liked her, but I did. Actually, I think I liked her because I had the feeling she'd been fighting her brother's self-destructiveness for a long time, and I kept thinking she deserved to not feel responsible for him and angry at herself for not being able to fix him. I have no idea what I'd think if I saw it again.

[I like to imagine that after the events of the movie Mike went off to community college, took a course to become a licensed practical nurse, got a job in a nursing home where all the old people just loved him, and eventually did a nursing degree and put his need to HELP to good use.]

Speaking of downers, I watched The Great Escape last night-- how I've never seen it in its entirety before is beyond me. I was glad I'd looked up spoilers beforehand or I'd have been a bit of a mess.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Up. I am a grinch, and didn't enjoy the animated films that came out when I was growing up (Disney princesses, etc.), so I have a bias against them. But I loved the Incredibles, and loved this one too. It was so beautiful.

Have to admit though that the impossibility of the helium balloons kept bothering me, because it was repeatedly critical to the plot. The animation of the house and balloons was so gorgeous. Other silly plotholes that bothered me:
Spoiler:

The wordless summary of Carl and Ellie's relationship in the beginning was so beautiful. The DVD had a short film of Dug's history, which was also silly fun and at the same time surprisingly poignant. Russell and Carl adorable together.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Snarryfan wrote:Peeta Mellark gets to shout WOLVERINES!!
Sold.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:43 am

Coneycat, I didn't think Cody was a great actress, but like you, I sympathized with the sister having to worry about her dumb fuck of a little brother. I imagine I'd be harsher towards the world were I in her position. Hell, I tend to act like an asshole a lot even though I've had it rather easy in life.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:00 pm

I watched Ruby Sparks over the weekend and it was interesting enough, though I found it a little slow in some parts. However, I did appreciate that

Spoiler:

Paul Dano is a great actor though, and the girl playing Ruby Sparks was quite sweet (and wrote the screenplay, I learned yesterday).
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next