Movies at Home

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movies at Home

Post  Cynara on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:01 pm

I watched Argo last night and I'm surprised I'm even here to write this because it gave me about six coronaries. It was awesome.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 am

I watched Warm Bodies the other day, which was mostly good, but I thought it dragged in the middle a bit.
And I watched Side Effects. I don't know how I feel about it. I thought the acting was mostly good (I still think Channing Tatum Channing is just a big block of wood, but he didn't have a whole lot to do), but the story was convoluted and sort of derivative. It was an ok way to pass a couple of hours, though.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:07 am

I watched The Sapphires, which was very cute, mostly lighthearted and enjoyable. Some parts felt a bit forced, but on the whole I really enjoyed it.

I also watched an anime called Paprika, in which a machine that allows the user to enter, view and analyse someone else's dream is stolen by a 'dream terrorist'. It's initially unclear what his aims are, but it becomes more clear as the movie progresses. Slightly more clear, it's still kind of hard to follow. It's very pretty, and it's an interesting look at personal privacy. It gets compared to Inception a lot, but it's about 5 years older, and there's not really much to compare, except that it's about people who can go into dreams.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:25 am

I saw Paprika in the theater a few years ago. I thought it was very cool even though I don't remember much of it and I couldn't totally follow it either. There was a scene with a parade that totally freaked me out (along with the music in that scene), is the thing I remember the most.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:35 am

I thought the music was great, it really fit the dream world. Visually it was very cool. I think with anime there's more scope to make things more 'dream-like', which might be harder to do with real people and sets.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:56 am

My husband rented Sucker Punch because he wanted something mindless and distracting. We couldn't even finish it, it was so bad. I think the screenwriting budget was blown on fake eyelashes so they had somebody's teenage brother write the script.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Oh man, we turned that one off after about 15 or 20 minutes, which hardly ever happens - we are not people of particularly discerning taste, but that was SO BAD.

I borrowed 21 Jump Street from a coworker, and there is nothing that would be better for me to watch today.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Just thinking about 21 Jump Street makes me giggle! When Dave Franco makes the guys take the drug they're supposed to stop from hitting the (school) market, I nearly pee in my pants. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are fucking gold in those scenes! "Fuck you, science!"

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:36 pm

I watched The Paperboy solely due to my shameful, shameful crush on Zac Efron. The movie itself is kinda nuts, but it certainly keep your interest. I have to say casting Matthew McConaughey as Zac Efron's older brother was a really good choice. Generally speaking, all the actors in the film are really good, but the way the story is told is VERY over the top. That said, I must admit that my shallow self thought the best parts of the movie were the many scenes of shirtless, sweaty Zac Efron. It's worth the watch though even for non-shallow reasons.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:48 pm

I watched The Kids Are All Right on Saturday and enjoyed it. I must admit that I honestly thought that Mark Ruffalo's character was going to
Spoiler:
just have an affair with Jules and destroy everything, so I was surprised when he told her he was falling for her and then dumped his friend with benefits because he wanted to have a wife and a family (and I guess thought that he could take Jules and the kids and get an instant family that way?).

There were solid performances from all of the cast, which was great to watch.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 am

So, I watched Far and Away on Netflix streaming because that movie is totally my Epic Guilty Pleasure Movie and I will hear nothing against it.

So when the movie is over, Netflix makes their suggestions, "Hey, if you liked that, you might like one of these!"

First one is Born on the Fourth of July. OK, sure. Both movies star Tom Cruise, so that makes sense.

Second one is Titanic. Absolutely. Both movies are epic period dramas, and have a romance embroiled with class conflict at their core. An excellent suggestion.

Third is Stargate.

Yeah, I got nothing there.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:49 am

...Maybe because 'Stargate' takes place somewhere that's far and away from Earth?
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:51 pm

I remember we watched Far and Away in history class during high school (love that movie), and my friend and I spent weeks calling each other "corkers" after that in terrible Irish accents. Man, we were nerds.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:56 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I remember we watched Far and Away in history class during high school
I am old.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Oh, I love Far and Away. One of the best cinema experiences, ever - such a good audience. When the flag went into the ground at the end, everyone actually clapped and cheered. Nobody cared about the dodgy accents!

"I've no wish to fight you..."
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Oh, what I would give to have seen that masterpiece in a crowded theater. Excuse me while I weep for what can never be.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Oh I shamefully love that movie. My favorite part is when TC punches the horse.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:28 am

I remember we watched Far and Away in history class during high school (love that movie), and my friend and I spent weeks calling each other "corkers" after that in terrible Irish accents. Man, we were nerds.
So did we, and I remember during the end when
Spoiler:
Tom Cruise fake dies someone was like "uh, I think the camera started rolling away" and we all cracked up. It was funnier when they said it, heh.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:44 am

I Don't Know How She Does It on Netflix. I know the reviews were terrible for this movie, but it could've been so much better if only they had (1) cast anyone but SJP - her cutesy act is so irritating, and (2) made the stakes a little higher, and didn't make things so glib and hallmarky - the snowman drama with the emotional music, ugh. Pierce Brosnan was surprisingly sensitive in this. When his character was telling the story about his wife, I kept thinking of his own wife.

What I found the most fun was recognizing the actors of some of the very minor characters. Kathy Geiss from 30 Rock as a bowler. Then Ron, the fake executive from 30 Rock, play a real executive here - I guess that guy is destined to play all kinds of executives. And then Miss Claudette from Orange is the New Black as a nurse.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 pm

That's too bad, because
Spoiler:
the book is actually great in that way--she leaves her job to raise her kids, but it's a really difficult decision and she's REALLY ambivalent about it and just trying to make the best of it, not loving every second.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:56 pm

I watched Celeste & Jesse Forever with Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg on the weekend and it was such a boring movie. I felt like it didn't really know if it wanted to be a bittersweet rom-com or a sad drama, and the story just felt really half-finished. By the end I was just happy it was over.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 am

Cynara, maybe I'll try the book then. I remember there was good press on it before it was made into a movie.

I saw The Kids Are All Right, too. I liked the feel of this movie, and the acting was very natural, but the ending was too simple for me.

Eventide82, i saw Celeste and Jesse Forever a little while ago, and was so disappointed in it. The premise was so dumb, and I was hoping the actors could save it for me, but nope.

Finally a good one: the Last Days of Disco. I had seen this when it first came out and on rewatch I like it even more. I loooved it. Now I have to watch Whit Stillman's other movies. I had forgotten how many funny lines this movie had. The dialogue is so artificial (how do you even hold the long conversations that they do at a club? - it was the quietest club ever), and yet really fun. Kate Beckinsale is such a great bitch, and Chloe Sevigny was great too. I love how the movie is so self-conscious the entire time. Now I want that 80s haircut that Kate had. Plus I love disco.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:27 am

Watched Playing for Keeps, a rom-com with divorced parents and soccer starring Gerard Butler. It was kind of a mess, there were lots of sub-plots that didn't go anywhere and Gerard Butler and Jessica Biel have no chemistry. I was rooting for Catherine Zeta-Jones. But we had fun snarking on it at least.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:38 am

puddingcup wrote:
Eventide82, i saw Celeste and Jesse Forever a little while ago, and was so disappointed in it. The premise was so dumb, and I was hoping the actors could save it for me, but nope.
We saw it in the theater, and I think my husband still has some sort of PTSD about it, because it made him cry, heh. Everytime we flip by it or I mention it's on, he gets all ranty. He found it *so* depressing, and thought Rashida Jones's character was really unlikeable.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:32 pm

I thought Rashida was excellent even when being really awful and unlikeable. She nailed all the emotions, IMO, and Andy was surprisingly solid and relateable.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top