Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+68
Poubelle
Grainne Mhaol
big chicken
TiffanyNichelle
Melk
Kookla
mayram
Eris Rising
themis
truecrystal
dionneshea
Gillian
MaddyCat
spidey_88
emrie
Swarley
bbridges
Sheli
Binky
sagitare
shamoogity
The Dude
Morning Angel
The Glen
mrinsouciance
Putli Bai
xyzzy
vwlphb
gannetguts
biakbiak
Matinee
killershrew
Wildog27
Algae
Jude
nikita
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
naughty zoot
Kiran
laddical
punzy
ulkis
Unlucky Bear
Esseilte
RiverThames
Agent Sculder
katesti
Instant Monkeys
Bad Username
mokey75
Cynara
Coneycat
Carrie Ann
Gallifrey Girl
blixie
PrincessCleo
whatthedeuce
QueenSix
Snarryfan
bookworm
salamandersam
Red Wolf
PineappleGirl
Raksha
puddingcup
inversed
eventide82
72 posters

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 19 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  inversed Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:04 am

The Book of Life was gorgeous. The story was pretty average (is it really a Mexican folk tale?) but I could have watched it for hours just for the animation.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:35 pm

I love when people discover that movie. It's turned into my daughter's favorite - she's watched it more times than Frozen, you guys - and I could not be happier.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Because Hannibal broke my brain I have decided to fill the void with Mads Mikkelson and Hugh Dancy films. So this weekend I watched The Hunt which was nominated for a best foreign film Oscar and Mads won Best Actor at Cannes.

It is so good. It breaks your heart and makes you both so angry at people but also understanding of them. I think it was on Netflix Streaming (I rented through Amazon VOD). There are also some great interviews online with Mads and the director discussing the film which just heightened its impact (for me at least).

Next up: Royal Affair

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:17 am

I finally watched Gone Girl and man, Ben Affleck was made to play Nick Dunne. Rosamund Pike was brilliantly psychotic and I thought the film was much better paced than the book (ie. we moved through all the shitty marriage stuff fairly quickly). Still hated every character in it, like I did in the book, but I thought it was a really good adaptation.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:07 am

Event Horizon, which I don't think I'd seen all the way through. It's very creepy, I love it.

The Heat, which was pretty funny. I haven't seen Bridesmaids, so my memories of Melissa McCarthy are from Gilmore Girls, and it was funny seeing Sukie curse her way through a cop movie. She's hilarious though, and of course so is Sandra Bullock.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Watched Fury the other night. I was surprised at how good it was. The beginning is really good; it should be standard war-is-hell but comes across very effectively. Then there's an unusual middle act--a big chunk of the movie--where they stop in a German town and meet some people, and then on to the ending. Even though it's a war movie, it's mainly an ensemble piece, almost entirely about the five guys played by Brad Pitt, Michael Pena, Shia LaBeouf, Jon Bernthal, and Logan Lerman as the newbie kid, and they all knock it out of the park. It almost feels like a play that got made into a movie. You could stage it and lose almost nothing. If you're into WWII movies, I highly recommend it.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 am

I watched Pride last night and loved it!! I highly recommend it if you need a pick-me-up.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Snarryfan wrote:Because Hannibal broke my brain I have decided to fill the void with Mads Mikkelson and Hugh Dancy films.  So this weekend I watched The Hunt which was nominated for a best foreign film Oscar and Mads won Best Actor at Cannes.

It is so good. It breaks your heart and makes you both so angry at people but also understanding of them. I think it was on Netflix Streaming (I rented through Amazon VOD).  There are also some great interviews online with Mads and the director discussing the film which just heightened its impact (for me at least).

Next up: Royal Affair

What did you think of A Royal Affair? I enjoyed it even if I was a bit sniffly at the ending. But such sumptuous costumes! And MM and AK had nice chemistry. You could see why they'd fall for one another.

I finally got to see Mockingjay Part 1 (thank you Netflix). It was really good. Now it's been ages since I read the books so I wasn't noting any big changes. It was very bittersweet to see Philip Seymour Hoffman on screen. He was such a fine actor.

inversed, I've been wanting to see Pride since I saw the trailers on TV ages ago! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:20 pm

A Royal Affair was so good! It portrayed the weird 3-way that was the King, the Queen, and her lover in a really interesting way. You had empathy for all 3 characters--particularly the King at the end of the movie.

Plus Mads Mikkelson in 18th century clothing dancing. Damn.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Snarryfan wrote:A Royal Affair was so good! It portrayed the weird 3-way that was the King, the Queen, and her lover in a really interesting way. You had empathy for all 3 characters--particularly the King at the end of the movie.

Plus Mads Mikkelson in 18th century clothing dancing. Damn.

It was interesting to see such a sympathetic portrayal of those three characters, because for the most part history is not so kind.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Snarryfan wrote:Plus Mads Mikkelson in 18th century clothing dancing. Damn.

Agreed. I applaud the Queen for managing to wait to kiss him until they were both out of the ballroom.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:15 pm

We watched Nightcrawler last week, and while I found Jake Gyllenhaal sufficiently creepy, I didn't find the film as a whole to be that creepy. I had heard that it was super creepy and he does a lot of questionable things, but I thought that meant that
Spoiler:
But he definitely does that maniacal, weird loner thing well.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:36 am

Snowpiercer - a hamfisted metaphor for the current world; lots of poor people in the back, the well off/privileged in the middle, and one single, god-like figure ruling over it all, agonising over the hard decisions he apparently has to make to preserve humanity. It's an interesting concept, the train that couldn't slow down, but the ending was silly.
Spoiler:

Interstellar - I liked it more than I thought I would, given I'm pretty 'meh' on Christopher Nolan's other movies. Yes, after McCaunaghey (sp?) falls into the wormhole it becomes a hot mess, but before that I thought it was great. The end of the world stuff was particularly creepy, probably the most realistic depiction I've seen. One thing that bothered me though is where they got fuel for their cars from. There was no food, but gasoline was still a thing?

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:55 am

Mad Max: Fury Road was completely insane but I liked it in the end, mostly because it was really a movie about Furiosa. Who I would have loved to know more about but it's not like this was a big character-development movie.

But out of the two movies I watched this weekend, Whiplash was definitely the more intense one.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks to this board! I also thought A Royal Affair was great. RiverThames, what did you mean about history's view of these three? I had never heard this story before I saw the movie, and now I'm interested in the actual history. Definitely the movie was a sympathetic portrayal, and the acting of the three leads was so good - one scene that comes to mind is near the end of the movie, when Mads and the priest are in the carriage together.

Also, it's funny that "king" in Danish sounds like "Kong". Throughout the movie I kept hearing "I am Kong!" and "Where is Kong?" Etc.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Another really great Mikkelsen performance is in The Hunt. The movie will make you super angry and super sad and so frustrated but it is fantastically good. His performance is subtle and moving and the little girl in the movie will break your heart. It completely lacks the histrionics or twists that would have existed in an American film.

And then I watched Hugh Dancy in Confessions of a Shopaholic which is completely lacking in seriousness or importance but dammit Dancy is super cute, Isla Fischer is likeable, and the film was cotton candy fun.

I regret nothing

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:13 am

The Hunt is so hard to watch, but I thought it was excellent. I am just not sure I could rewatch it. I'm also all about the love for A Royal Affair. I remember seeing it in theatres; what a gorgeous movie.

And then I watched Hugh Dancy in Confessions of a Shopaholic which is completely lacking in seriousness or importance but dammit Dancy is super cute, Isla Fischer is likeable, and the film was cotton candy fun.

I regret nothing

That movie is a guilty pleasure of mine, but cute enough not to make me feel too ashamed.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:58 am

puddingcup wrote:Thanks to this board! I also thought A Royal Affair was great. RiverThames, what did you mean about history's view of these three?

From what I understand, the typical historical read is that the doctor was a Rasputin-like figure, taking over the government by ensorcelling the king and seducing the queen, with the intention of putting his own children on the throne, and his "reforms" almost destroyed the country.

Re: Snowpiercer
Spoiler:
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:27 am

So I am using a free month of Netflix DVD (aka Netflix Original Recipe) to continue my Mads Mikkelsen exploration. Last night was Shake It All About, a queer romantic comedy/drama from 2002. Mads plays a gay man named Jacob who proposes to his lover Jorgen...and then kisses his sister-in-law in a more than sister-in-law kind of way. It all comes to a happy end but there a definite moments of tears and other moments of wanting to bounce Mads's characters head off a hard surface. Like most gay romantic comedies there is the cadre of colorful friends and while they play up stereotypes they are also incredibly funny. Plus Mads rides a horse to the airport.

Next: Open Hearts, a Dogma 95 film.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:57 am

Got around to watching The Scribbler, strange little film that has pretty notable names in it: Katie Cassidy, Garett Dillahunt, Michelle Trachtenburg, Eliza Dushku, Gina Gershon...

It's... odd. It's essentially the origin story for a comic-book heroine you never heard of. Characters are paper thin, but it's got style, and I was rather impressed with Katie Cassidy. She gives a performance you wouldn't have guessed she had in her just from seeing Arrow.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:59 am

50 Shades of Grey is airing on one of our movie channels, and my husband wanted to watch it because he couldn't believe it was as bad as everyone said. "It's this huge cultural phenomenon, it's gotta have something going for it, right?" We lasted about 15 minutes before he concurred that no, no it did not. You could actually feel the embarrassment of the actors for having to say those lines. And THEN I had a dream about it, wherein I was Anastasia Steele's best friend (my husband said he should've known what the movie was going to be like the moment he heard her name) and I was like "GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER, GIRL, SERIOUSLY."

But then we watched a beautiful animated film from Ireland called Song of the Sea which I highly recommend. It's from the same studio that did The Book of Kells, which is also gorgeous.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:03 am

Finally got around to seeing Spotlight. I followed the story pretty closely at the time the scandal broke (even though it was shortly after 9/11) and I had forgotten a few details that shocked me all over again.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:26 am

Watched two movies I'd never heard of before recently and both were pretty good. Skeleton Twins was a dark comedy/drama that was a bit on the melodramatic side, but had Bill Hader in a really great dramatic role. I'd never seen him in anything serious before and was impressed.

I Origins should have put the bulk of the focus on what was just the last third of the movie, it was still worth watching.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:58 am

Fathom/Events TCM showed On the Waterfront in theaters yesterday night, and Marlon Brando on a huge movie screen is a nice sight. Also noticed and heard a bunch of random things I never noticed before, like in the beginning when they're in the back of Friendly's bar there is a woman with a baby carriage that Johnny Friendly talks to for a while, wtf, heh. So random.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:06 am

I LOVE going to those screenings for that exact reason. I watch It's a Wonderful Life on DVD every year on Thanksgiving. I went to see it at the theater last Christmas, and I noticed so many little things I hadn't seen the million other times I've watched it. It happens with pretty much every movie, and it's fun.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next