Movies at Home

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movies at Home

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon May 02, 2016 5:47 pm

Wow. For a Ryan Reynolds movie, Just Friends is one of the unfunniest things I've ever watched. I can't believe my roommate I are dumb enough to have sat through the entire thing.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:07 pm

I really didn't know much about Deadpool going in, other than that it was Not Your Average Superhero Movie, and I think I'm glad I didn't - what a fun surprise!!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Watched The Big Short recently - it's all about the 2008 financial crisis. Sounds boring, right? It was amazing! Breaks the fourth wall to explain more complex financial terms. Steve Carrell and Christian Bale were great. Recommend!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:56 pm

I just saw it today and I wholeheartedly endorse that recommendation. Just a fascinating, infuriating look at the financial crisis and a warning that it could happen again since the same practices continue today under a different name.

I watched Spotlight last week and that's another film I wasn't sure I would like, but it kept me engrossed and upset throughout. Wonderful performances, directing, and writing.

Another one I'd recommend is Brooklyn, which I brought home a few weeks ago from the library. Just a really good story with a touching, excellent performance by Saoirse Ronan.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:38 am

I LOVED The Big Short! It was great but infuriating. I can't get my husband excited to watch Spotlight but he's out of town soon so I'll be watching it then.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:52 pm

I watched Spotlight just last week! Another excellent movie. Afterwards I visited the site at the end of the credits (Spotlightthefilm.com) which led me to read the original newspaper article. Fascinating, infuriating, heartbreaking stuff.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:37 pm

I feel like I'm bringing down the conversation now by saying I watched Pride & Prejudice and Zombies the other night! It was grand. There were parts I had to rewind to figure out why something was happening but whether that was me being distracted or the film's fault, I couldn't tell you. I hadn't read the book so apart from zombies wandering the countryside in Regency England, I was clueless as to the how's and why's.

Lena Headey was her stunning dynamic self and Matt Smith was good fun.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:54 pm

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I thought all of the additions were good, especially the fight between Elizabeth and Darcy. I felt like the last 30 minutes kind of fell apart, but up until that point it was a really good movie.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:23 pm

I'm no highbrow, I'll totally watch that when it's on Netflix here!

I watched Room last night. Not a fun movie by any stretch, but it was well done. The kid was amazing!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:50 pm

I watched Everest. Very engrossing, but I spent half the time going, "this is crazy."

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Whatever the inducement, do not watch Rock the Kasbah. I assume Bill Murray did it for the paycheck and everyone else (Kate Hudson, Zoey Deschanel, Bruce Willis) did it for the chance to work with Murray, but what a sodden lump of shit this was. There is not a single redeeming thing about this movie - it makes Garfield look Oscar-worthy. The saddest thing is the Afghan Idol portion by itself could have made a amazing film. I wonder if Murray is heading towards late Brando/De Niro-don't give-a-shit-as-long-as-I'm-paid territory.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:14 am

Birdman was not even a little bit what I was expecting. I think I liked it? I felt like the "special skills" that Riggan had didn't really gel with the rest of the movie.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:13 pm

inversed wrote:Birdman was not even a little bit what I was expecting. I think I liked it? I felt like the "special skills" that Riggan had didn't really gel with the rest of the movie.

I despised Birdman. It was so boring. I have no idea why it won/nominated for anything.

I watched Terminator: Genisys, which was not great and threw the iconic Terminator timetravel plot in a blender. That said, I think it was kind of more faithful to the tone of T1 and T2, and most importantly, lacked elements of the male gaze that really bothered me in both T3 and T4 (the treatment of the terminatrix and Moon Bloodgood's character, namely). That said, it also lacked much urgency and fear that is kind of important in a Terminator movie. Meh, it was okay.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Binky wrote:I despised Birdman. It was so boring. I have no idea why it won/nominated for anything.

Me, too. It felt so forced to me. Like, look at this ART we are making! It is Important! Ugh, no thanks.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:41 am

Spotlight was EXCELLENT. I'm so glad it won Best Picture. I love Mark Ruffalo.

Brooklyn was also a really good, quiet movie. I covet Eilis' entire wardrobe, especially the colorful skirt she wore at the end.

Zootropolis (why isn't it called Zootopia in the UK? Did they have to re-dub the dialogue for the British release? I'm so confused) was really cute. I thought the confrontation between Judy and Nick near the end was very timely. Not the best Disney, but I don't mind that we spent money to rent it at all.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:40 pm

Weiner, the documentary about Anthony Weiner. It's not really a documentary about anything besides the titular dude's obvious profound need for attention and complete lack of self-awareness (or the first thing cancels out the second thing). It barely tells the story of what he did, assuming familiarity, and very lightly implies that he has a mental illness/addiction, least not because no sane person would allow a documentary to be made about him under those circumstances.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Zootropolis was amazingly funny! I loved it so much. It's a real pick me up flick because I didn't realise how much I needed a laugh until the sloths appeared on screen.

Also, rented Midnight Special which I really enjoyed and it really showcased Michael Shannon's talents as an actor. It was the kind of personal sci-fi movie you don't see much of now (especially not this summer!) but I would have liked a few more answers about a few things. I read an article where the director said he was sorry and a bit sad that it hadn't made more money at the box office so I hope it does well rental/purchase wise and becomes a kind of slow burner because I'd like to see more films like that.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:11 am

My husband has been pushing to watch Midnight Special, I'm glad to know that it's good!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:34 pm

I watched Money Monster on the weekend and while I enjoyed it, I came away feeling like I expected a lot more from it that I didn't really get. I mostly felt a lot like George Clooney wasn't quite right for the part, particularly at the start, and also that the focus on the gunman and the company were both sidenotes, when they should have been the major part of the story.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Deadpool! Man that was waaaay funnier then I expected! I knew it was a funny action movie, but had no idea it an actual comedy.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:Deadpool! Man that was waaaay funnier then I expected! I knew it was a funny action movie, but had no idea it an actual comedy.

Right?? I had zero interest even after hearing raves about it and very, very begrudgingly watched it. Ryan Reynolds was hilarious, plus the Juice Newton version of Angel in the Morning is one of my guilty pleasure songs, so they basically had me at hello there!

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 pm

I watched Twilight: Breaking Dawn part 2 to play along with the rifftrax, and wow, even with people snarking on it I was marveling at how bad it was. Why was everyone just pulling each other's heads off in the not-battle? Did no one have a knife on them or something? I wonder if people who liked Twilight liked that. I watched the first one and while I wasn't a fan I wasn't like gaping about how bad it was.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 pm

I read a review of Breaking Dawn II (Electric Vampaloo) that pretty much loved it for that reason alone. "There are no less than TWELVE decapitations in the final battle. TWELVE."
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:07 am

Some schlocky 90s teen 'horror' movies: Final Destination, and The Faculty. Final Destination was released in 2000, but I'm counting it.

The Faculty has so many 'before they were big' names in it - Jon Stewart, Salma Hayek, Usher, Josh Hartnett, the blonde woman from Cold Case, Famke Janssen, Robert Patrick.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:06 am

Central Intelligence was surprisingly funny. Maybe because I had no expectations, but I was pretty entertained. The Rock is really funny!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top