Current Reads

Page 15 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 15 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Kiran on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:29 pm

mayram, I love that book and Junot Diaz in general. However, have you read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao? If you haven't I'd recommend reading that first. Its the precursor to This Is How You Lose her, and is a gentler book, imo.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:37 pm

I just finished Maggie Stiefvater's third book in The Raven Cycle, Blue Lily, Lily Blue. For me, this series keeps getting better and better, as well as creepier, which in this case is a good thing. And the cover this time is especially gorgeous.

My favorite Stiefvater book is still The Scorpio Races, which I just found out from a Twitter chat is also her favorite of her own books as well (and is in the process of being made into a film which...I'm not so sure about). For me, Blue Lily, Lily Blue is almost as good, and that's saying a lot.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:22 am

Jude, I'm super excited about your enthusiastic thumbs-up of the newest Raven Cycle book. I've been dying to find out what happens next to Blue and Co.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:57 pm

I just started reading Tampa by Alissa Nutting, and I feel like I need to take a hot shower.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:52 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Jude, I'm super excited about your enthusiastic thumbs-up of the newest Raven Cycle book. I've been dying to find out what happens next to Blue and Co.
I hope you get a chance to read it soon, whatthedeuce. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:34 pm

Crowbridge wrote:I just started reading Tampa by Alissa Nutting, and I feel like I need to take a hot shower.
Yeah, bring a loofah. And bleach.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:24 am

[quote="Jude"]
whatthedeuce wrote:I hope you get a chance to read it soon, whatthedeuce. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!
I'm sure I'll be "raven" about it soon enough, too! (Wow. That was cheesy.)

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 pm

dinahmoe wrote:
Crowbridge wrote:I just started reading Tampa by Alissa Nutting, and I feel like I need to take a hot shower.

Okay, so I looked up this book and holy shit. Yeah. I don't know if I could read it. So, beyond the loofah, bleach, and scalding hot shower, would you actually recommend it??

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:46 am

MaddyCat wrote:
dinahmoe wrote:

Okay, so I looked up this book and holy shit. Yeah. I don't know if I could read it. So, beyond the loofah, bleach, and scalding hot shower, would you actually recommend it??
I would, yes. It's disturbing, but also refreshing in the way it handles the subject matter. It's not romanticized at all.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:28 am

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg. Pretty much as the name suggests. It's broken into three parts - it examines habit forming for individuals, companies, and societies. It was pretty interesting, if lightweight. The most interesting part for me was its investigation of why Rosa Parks's arrest set off the Montgomery bus boycott when she was not the first to be arrested for not giving up their seat for a white passenger. It's worth a read if you're interested in breaking habits, and also if you work in management.

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer, the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy. It was pretty creepy, but I felt like some of it was overwritten in the author's attempt to create that atmosphere. The concept was great, but maybe the story for the first book was not fully developed. I'm looking forward to reading the next two though, the mystery behind the story is very compelling.

Currently reading The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes, after reading about it here. I've only just started, no thoughts yet. I didn't realise it was from the same person who had written Zoo City, so that was a pleasant surprise. I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Celeste Ng's Everything I Never Told You made me almost overwhelmingly sad at times. Ng clearly has a gift for introspection. She balanced and fleshed out the characters' thoughts and motivations so beautifully. I love books about the subtle, quiet ways humans can affect, and often hurt, each other. This book handled that so deftly and genuinely.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:34 pm

I loved that book! It was so quietly sad.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Exactly! It was very emotional and reflective. I loved the varied ideas of what it meant to be "different."

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:31 pm

I read JoJo Moyes' One Plus One over the weekend. It was an enjoyable bit of fluff. It's the first thing I've read by her and I guess I was expecting something a bit more deep, but it turned out to be perfect for the first weekend I haven't had to madly scramble writing papers or lesson plans in ages. It's kind of a rom-com version of Little Miss Sunshine with wacky hijinks and tears and misunderstandings, etc. There was one part though that really stood out. The 2 main characters, a software company entrepreneur and his cleaning woman, are having a discussion in which he quite unthinkingly claims he isn't rich. She, of course, isn't having that and their differing ideas of what constitutes rich is great. He thinks he isn't rich because he doesn't have a private jet and she thinks he is rich because, along with the 2 cars and 2 homes and gorgeous wardrobe, etc, he never has to give a thought as to whether he can pay his bills. I loved it because I know so many people in this world complaining [hyperbole alert] that their diamond shoes are too tight or that the maid couldn't come clean their 18 room Victorian mansion because her car broke down and wasn't she thoughtless to not keep the car up. And I do realize how easy it is to get into that mindset that you're not really rich because you know someone who has more than you do and how hard it can be to see/really notice all the people around you who have so much less.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:02 pm

naughty zoot, One Plus One is much fluffier than Moyes' other books though it did, as you mentioned, have some thoughtfulness to it. Her other works are much deeper and more provocative, IMO.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:15 am

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History by John M. Barry, about the 1918 flu. It's very interesting, if US-centric. The author covers the evolution of medical science, particularly in American universities and labs, before the outbreak of the pandemic, then covers how it began and how it spread so quickly and killed so thoroughly (here's a hint: a three-word phrase that starts with W W O and rhymes with 'hurled boar bun'). The research can't be faulted, but the writing can. It's quite repetitive and loses focus easily, and could have done with some stricter editing. I'm still enjoying it though, and I recommend it.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:57 pm

I read The Great Influenza last year and probably found the repetition useful as I listened to the audio version. I really enjoyed it and found the science parts just as interesting as the human/social parts. It's hard to believe that so many people don't even know about this since it took out a HUGE portion of the population and since something like that could happen again (it just takes a slight mutation). But I guess WWI was, you know, a bigger story. Duh, MaddyCat. Anyhow, I'd recommend it too.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:47 pm

MaddyCat wrote:I really enjoyed it and found the science parts just as interesting as the human/social parts.

Me too, they're great.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm really enjoying Derek Miller's Norwegian by Night, about an elderly widower, recently moved to Norway and possibly slipping into dementia, who grabs the young son of a murdered neighbor and flees to protect the boy. Moving and, surprisingly, funny.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:45 pm

I finished Attachments by Rainbow Rowell on the weekend and loved it. I didn't realise this was her first novel. I found it to be a lot more polished and readable than Fangirl. I loved the use of email exchange to tell the story and was happy with the ending.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Finals week is over so now I can finally delve into Blue Lily, Lily Blue! I'm beyond geeked!

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:28 pm

eventide82 wrote:I finished Attachments by Rainbow Rowell on the weekend and loved it. I didn't realise this was her first novel. I found it to be a lot more polished and readable than Fangirl. I loved the use of email exchange to tell the story and was happy with the ending.

I adored Attachments. It was so well laid out. I read it over two days while on the train. I was so engrossed in it, I nearly missed my stop at one point!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:36 am

I enjoyed Reconstructing Amelia but I was far more engaged in Amelia's narrative than Kate's. The beginning was a little clunky but I thought it found its footing pretty well. Would have liked more resolution though.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:03 pm

So I kept hearing the Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch was great, and I was really sad that I couldn't find it for Kindle. And then, last week, I realized that it was released under the title Midnight Riot in the US. Ahah! I'm now halfway through the sequel, and enjoying myself immensely.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:43 pm

After trying to get my hands on Midnight Riot for 2-3 years, I was disappointed by the writing and didn't end up finishing the book. I wanted to love it, but the characters didn't jump off the page for me and didn't draw me in. The humor didn't come across for me either.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20 ... 25  Next