Current Reads

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 16 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Red Wolf on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:36 pm

I love all the Aaronovitch books. The last one I read in one day.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:00 am

Dynasty: The Stuarts 1560 - 1807 by John Macleod. I might be slightly very obsessed with Outlander, and while I had a rough idea of what was going on at the time I decided to do some more reading into the matter. It's a good read, and the author is clear about it being a popular history, not original scholarship. He's also slightly snarky. And geez, talk about backing the wrong horse. The Stuarts sure were a hapless bunch.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Last night I finished The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. What a weird book. I liked it -- I really did; it was super atmospheric and the characters were well drawn and compelling and the setting vivid. There were some images that just grabbed onto me -- the mother in her raggedy nightgown floating downstairs to eat peppermint ice cream and offering it to Harriet -- who is always eating Hely's leftover chicken wings and stuff because she craves real food -- and seeming puzzled at her refusal, saying it's so hot, she thought they could have something light and cool, when peppermint ice cream is basically all she ever eats...just kind of gruesome and gothic in the best way. There were lots of moments like that and lots of beautiful description.

But the writing was also really weird -- she does something I hate, which is switch POVs in the middle of a scene, sometimes multiple times, and it's not JUST a pedantic thing; I sometimes got very confused as to who was thinking what. Maybe that's just her style but it's not something I feel was done artfully enough to be excused on "style"; it should have been fixed in editing in my opinion. There were other little things too that just made me feel like it wasn't edited very thoroughly; repeated words or what have you.

And, it was slow. It just took a long time for anything to happen. And you're very drawn into the world, but the book is over 500 pages, and it was repetitive (how many descriptions of Harriet and/or Hely journeying through the backwoods to get someplace -- again, atmospheric, but it sort of all mushed together), and there would be these like, action sequences but then just long descriptive parts that didn't really lead to anything. Which leads to the most annoying thing...

Spoiler:
THEY DON'T REALLY RESOLVE ANYTHING, INCLUDING THE CENTRAL MYSTERY. Now, I know this isn't really a "mystery," it's literary fiction, and when I'm reading an artsy short story I'm fine with it sort of ending in the middle of things and not being tied up neatly. But, again, MORE THAN 500 PAGES, and it starts out with a murder, and the driving plot of the whole novel is Harriet trying to figure out who murdered her brother, and it ends and WE STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHO KILLED HIM, and there were all these clues planted like, what did Allison see, why is she so sleepy all the time, Edie seems to know something, there's all this tantalizing history that we can't quite get at, and we just...don't really get at it, it just ends. Even the very last plot sequence just really doesn't resolve. I liked the trick of the title and who the little friend was, but that was about it. Is Harriet going to have to move to Nashville? Is anyone going to find out what Harriet did? Does her dad notice the missing gun? She's so sick from the tank water and it's suspenseful about whether they're going to figure out what's wrong with her, but then she just gets better I guess? Etc. Like, the part about Eugene and the snake handler guy was SO FREAKING LONG, and the only real payoff was the whole thing with the cobra, which didn't really work, and it hit the grandmother and she went to the hospital but then she was fine I guess. SO LONG. Or that scene in the pool hall, which went on for pages and pages and pages and didn't really seem to have much of a point. Even stuff like, the red gloves, Harriet realizes she never appreciated them and becomes desperate to find them (it's even a chapter title), and they reappear unexpectedly in the story, but then that's it, you never see them again, they don't figure into anything else. What was the point of Mr. Dial being a POV character -- he was always around being colorful but nothing he did ever amounted to anything (I was betting on him to have killed Robin). I did appreciate some of the payoff/foreshadowing -- Harriet learning how to hold her breath, Danny being afraid of the water, Edie being a terrible driver and refusing to admit it (so sad, Libby). But overall it really didn't feel like it came together very well.

My friend lent me this book and I'm glad I read it, but also kind of glad it's over. I can't say it wasn't riveting in parts; I stayed up til like 2:30 on Christmas night reading it in bed (of course, that was also because I dumbly had coffee at like 6:00). It also just made me uncomfortable though, which probably speaks to its atmosphericness, but I'm kind of glad to be done with it.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:12 pm

I hated that book. Really, really hated it.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:42 pm

The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman. If you are looking for a good spooky English haunted house-in-a-small-village story, this one is awesome so far. Merrily Watkins is to be the new vicar in a small English village that is being co-opted by newcomers, especially the Cassidy family, who are trying to mine the village traditions to bring in tourism money. The old guard isn't having it, and when the Cassidys propose putting on a Crucible-type play about a 17th century vicar who was hounded to suicide by accusations of witchcraft, things heat up, especially since the ancestor of the current lord of the manor was an accuser. (The modern interpretation is that the vicar was gay, and the "witchcraft" accusations were really a moral panic.)

This book was written in the late '90s, and it really shows in the way gay rights are discussed, even by the "liberal" characters. I'd forgotten how embarrassed people were to even say gay, and there is one part where Merrily wonders if she should explain it to her 16 year old daughter Jane (who knows already, of course). Many of us here were '90s teens, so reading Jane's point of view is interesting.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Uh oh, I just started reading The Little Friend because it was literally the only book on my book list that was available for e-book checkout from my library. Maybe I should just wait for one of the numerous holds I have to come in!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Heck, I still don't know who "the little friend" was and I still don't get the title. Donna Tartt sure knows how to write, but MAN did that story go nowhere.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:00 am

queenofdenile wrote:Heck, I still don't know who "the little friend" was and I still don't get the title. Donna Tartt sure knows how to write, but MAN did that story go nowhere.

I think the little friend was (serious spoilers for the entire end of the novel)
Spoiler:
Danny, because at the end Harriet's dad(?) reads in the paper about him almost drowning and is like "remember him, he was Robin's little friend." So the guy Harriet was convinced killed Robin not only didn't (which is made clear in a flashback toward the end of the book) but was in fact his friend when they were kids. Unless that characterization from Harriet's dad is wrong, in which case, I'm out. But I think that's the answer to that.

Of course, I read some reviews after I finished it and like 3/4 of the people who mentioned it had no idea who the little friend was either, so it wasn't super clear, obviously.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 am

I just finished Orange is the New Black. I haven't seen any episodes of the show, so I went in pretty much blind apart from knowing the general "women's prison" plot. There were some parts that were a little repetitive, but overall I really enjoyed it.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:49 am

I read As You Wish, Cary Elwes' memoir of the making of The Princess Bride. It didn't really cover any new ground, but it's full of such affection for the movie that it was a delightful read. It's nice to read a memoir that isn't full of cynicism.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:44 pm

killershrew wrote:I just finished Orange is the New Black.  I haven't seen any episodes of the show, so I went in pretty much blind apart from knowing the general "women's prison" plot.  There were some parts that were a little repetitive, but overall I really enjoyed it.
Dude, I totally forgot that was based on a memoir! I want to read it now!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Algae wrote:I read As You Wish, Cary Elwes' memoir of the making of The Princess Bride. It didn't really cover any new ground, but it's full of such affection for the movie that it was a delightful read. It's nice to read a memoir that isn't full of cynicism.

Too funny! I just brought this home from the library today and can't wait to start it!
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Purely by chance, I came across a mention of Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge on Tumblr and was intrigued enough to hunt it down. I ended up reading it in one day. It's a YA fantasy, her debut by all accounts, and it's very well researched and written. It's about seventeen year old Nvx, who because of a deal her father made has to go marry the Gentle Lord who grants wishes in her kingdom, but there's always a price. It's described as Beauty and the Beast meets Greek mythology and it gives you enough explanation about the Greek myths she's using without it slowing down the narrative.

What I especially loved was that Nvx is completely pissed off at everything and everyone and feels bad that she's always wishing people would fuck off and leave her alone and tries to be nicer, but she is what she is. It's got to be one of the first first person narratives of a teen girl protagonist that I've read where I absolutely loved her.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:50 am

Got an e-copy of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, and found my unfinished copy of The Little Stranger so I'm thinking The Little Friend might go unread.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:46 am

QueenSix wrote:Purely by chance, I came across a mention of Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge on Tumblr and was intrigued enough to hunt it down. I ended up reading it in one day.

Do you think an 11-year-old could handle this? She's read all the Hunger Games books and "The Fault in Our Stars" and a few other YA books. Some YA books are more "adult" than others, though.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:35 pm

killershrew, I think if she's read those other books then yes, because while Nvx has to make sacrifices, she's is honest about how she feels about it and I found that refreshing. I found it ultimately to be a story about trying to make the best choices you can with what you got and it's really about how doing things for love can take different forms. Love is a very strong theme in it so I found it overall very positive.

(Also, are you telling me your daughter is now eleven? When did this happen?!)

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Just finished The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber, who wrote The Crimson Petal and the White, which I adored.

This one was fine but not amazing or mind-blowing. It's about a missionary who leaves his wife behind on a falling-apart Earth to go to a new planet to proselytize to the "natives" there. But it's also about marriage, disaster, faith, morality, etc. There was a creepy undercurrent that I liked but that never amounted to much, and I struggled to care about any of the characters, so that their inner conflicts often lacked resonance. Faber is a great writer, and he says this is his last book, so I'm bummed I didn't like it more.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:22 am

I just put The Book of Strange New Things on my to-read list yesterday, it sounds like a fascinating premise. Sorry to hear you found it underwhelming MaddyCat.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:00 am

I started The Book Thief yesterday, but I am not loving the Death narration so far.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:38 am

naughty zoot wrote:I started The Book Thief yesterday, but I am not loving the Death narration so far.
Yeah, I couldn't get into The Book Thief. It felt so contrived to me.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:24 pm

I wanted to like The Book Thief much more than I did. It just felt so heavy-handed. "This is a book about THE HOLOCAUST and NAZIS and you will FEEL THINGS!!!!"

I finished The Little Stranger and I think I really liked it. I wanted more of a payoff at the end but are we supposed to sense that
Spoiler:
Faraday was the source of the poltergeist?

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:23 pm

Unabashed lover of The Book Thief here. I did feel things, but I didn't feel manipulated, and I loved the main character. But I get that a book narrated by Death may not be someone's jam.

Currently reading Last Night at the Blue Angel for my book club and really loving it. It's told from shifting times/perspectives of mother and daughter, and I love how distinct their voices are and how you understand their choices better. I honestly hadn't heard of this book before now, so I'm glad I was "forced" to pick it up. I hope it holds up by the end.

Next will be Scalzi's Lock In, which I've been looking forward to for awhile now.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:20 am

stargirl wrote:Finished The Secret Place, Tana French's latest book last week. It was different than her others in that it was narrated by several different viewpoints so you didn't get as deeply into the background of the main detective. But she's still got great chemistry (not romantic type, which makes it better) between the two main detectives which I really loved in this book.  It's not hard to figure out who the murderer is, but finding that out is sort of a side point to the plot, almost. It's really hard to describe, I guess. But overall I liked it very much.
I liked it quite a but but found Frank Mackey really tiresome this time around. Also the teen speak was overkill. I know teens nowadays tend to speak with their intonation rising at the end of sentences so they always sound interrogatory, but 400 pages of that was painful, and I honestly felt there were too many girls to keep track of. The flashbacks dragged a lot of the time, too, and the whole supernatural thing completely threw me off. Were Holly and her friends just imagining they had supernatural powers? I mean the rest of the series is grounded firmly in reality, so I figured the girls were just being airy fairy about their kinship and how much power they drew from each other.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:29 am

I have no idea who that is or what her book is about, but the name Frank Mackey stands out to me. That was Tom Cruise's mysoginistic "life coach" in Magnolia. Is he tiresome like that?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:15 am

Haha! He's a veteran homicide detective in Dublin. Not mysogynistic, but certainly smart alecky to a grating degree at times.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next