Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Flash

+9
Lily Rose
Kiran
blixie
TiffanyNichelle
Eris Rising
chibimanda
Raksha
RiverThames
laddical
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: The Flash

Post  truecrystal Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:29 pm

That was FUN! I was grinning like an idiot throughout the whole thing. Gustin and Ammell play so well off each other and their characters have a really believable rapport. I love that the girls got some time together that benefitted each of them. And I agree, Pannabaker is the weak link but that will hopefully be remedied soon because FIRESTORM!

Also, I totally don't blame Iris for having Oliver on her list. Was it me, or was Ammell looking especially hot last night? I won't even get into the Olicity feels...

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue May 12, 2015 11:20 pm

"I thought Ferris Air shut down."
"It did. One of their test pilots vanished."

Yet one more layer of easter egg on a pretty heavily geeked out episode.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:41 pm

So, the premiere was a bit too place-setting for my tastes, but decent. Except for, "Well, I'm now out of prison, so, SEE YA!" That just made no sense.

One thing that stood out to me, and I'm kind of fascinated that every review I read focused purely on the text instead of the subtext. So, when Cisco first sees Atom Smasher, he gets a brief vision of Earth-2 or some other timeline. We know the show is having that be an aspect of his Vibe powers. Yes? Yes.

So, when Caitlin asks "How did you think of that?" regarding the Flash Signal, and he has a halting, "I must have read it in a comic book", it struck me as odd that all the reviewers took that line at pure face value, and NOT (what was obvious to me) that he "remembered it" from the other timeline. Especially since the Atom Smasher of Earth-2 immediately recognized it and responded to it.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:43 pm

"Well, I'm now out of prison, so, SEE YA!"

"But Dad! Why?"

"Because 1) I've been locked up for 14 years and need to stretch my legs; 2) I hate this town and everyone in it for believing I'm a murderer; 3) my release is predicated on the confession of someone who doesn't exist so how long will it stick; 4) I'll only be five minutes away."

"Five minutes? Where are you going?"

"What difference does that make, FLASH?"

On the other hand: 1) I have no marketable job skills; 2) my kid now owns a massive plot of prime real estate with a major science facility on it paid for by his civil servant salary; 3) there is no three because Thames is correct: it makes no sense. What a waste of a great story element.

Most positive thing from this episode: Victor Garber having so much giddy fun with this role.

Oh, reason #5 to skip town: GROD.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:37 am

I can understand that they can't afford another series regular, so they need some reason why Henry isn't around. But it was just so abrupt and the reasoning was...baffling. I think if they'd taken even one more episode--maybe show that Henry is having some re-integration/institutionalization issues and have that be the reason, instead of this INSANE "maybe you won't become a hero if I'm around??? you already have a family???" Why not just: "hey pal, I'm going to move to the small town an hour away, where we used to go for family vacations [or whatever], because Central City is too overwhelming for me right now and I don't want you worrying about me every day." Make him far enough away that it makes sense he wouldn't be in town for every little thing, but close enough that it's clear he and Barry are in each other's lives.

In general, I remain confused that Barry is the only person on the show who blames himself for what happened. It was his fault! And not because he was trying to defeat Wells (as Joe said), but because he was trying to bring his mother back. Right? Am I misremembering how that all went down? I mean, we didn't get a body count, but clearly a bunch of people died that day (including Ronnie), and while I understand that the city-at-large doesn't know that Barry caused the very thing he had to save them from--his team does know that, and so does the show. But he's treated with such kid gloves...it's weird. I don't know. I just see Oliver blamed for every single thing on his show--which actually puts me more in his corner, because I feel defensive of him--and Barry never blamed for anything on this one, and it feels like there could be a middle ground that would make me more sympathetic to Barry and more engaged with the show.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:36 am

But it was just so abrupt and the reasoning was...baffling.

It was, but I felt like they were hinting there was more to it, Joe/Henry exchanged a weird look. My first thought was he's sick/gonna die, and that WOULD be a distraction, but that doesn't make the way they handled it in the premiere any better.

Overall the whole thing felt way too neat, but I say that because I LOVE Robbie Amell (seriously go rent The DUFF he's charming as a motherfuck), so dispatching Ronnie so quickly and easily aggravated me.

I can't really compare Oliver and Barry, their journey's are completely different, Barry didn't start out as a killer, Oliver did. The singularity was a potential consequence not an absolute one, and it happened despite Barry getting back within the time frame, and Joe did say Barry WAS to blame, Joe only argued he didn't have to shoulder the blame alone, since his team supported him in it, and Caitlyn WAS alienated from him for months. But yes in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure why they had him make that choice since the show, on a tonal level, they really didn't want to dwell on what that meant or how it impacted everyone, thus skipping way past the fall out to the make up/make nice. I value the show's tone being largely light and fun, so I'm mostly okay with forgetting all about it.

So Zoom, is just Eobard right? I'd hate to lose Evil Tom Welling from the show, he's pretty much the shows one big note of complexity so they shouldn't go to long without him.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:45 am

blixie wrote:

It was, but I felt like they were hinting there was more to it, Joe/Henry exchanged a weird look. My first thought was he's sick/gonna die, and that WOULD be a distraction, but that doesn't make the way they handled it in the premiere any better.

There was that moment, so I'd like to think there was a deeper plan behind it.

Overall the whole thing felt way too neat, but I say that because I LOVE Robbie Amell (seriously go rent The DUFF he's charming as a motherfuck), so dispatching Ronnie so quickly and easily aggravated me.

I don't think this is the last of Ronnie-- I mean, Comic Book Rules: no one's dead unless you see the body, and even then it's not a sure thing. But they needed to sideline the character since the actor has other things on his plate (including the X-Files mini...)

So Zoom, is just Eobard right? I'd hate to lose Evil Tom Welling from the show, he's pretty much the shows one big note of complexity so they shouldn't go to long without him.

Someone else was cast as Zoom, but I don't remember who off the top of my head.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:43 pm

blixie wrote:

I can't really compare Oliver and Barry, their journey's are completely different, Barry didn't start out as a killer, Oliver did. The singularity was a potential consequence not an absolute one, and it happened despite Barry getting back within the time frame, and Joe did say Barry WAS to blame, Joe only argued he didn't have to shoulder the blame alone, since his team supported him in it, and Caitlyn WAS alienated from him for months. But yes in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure why they had him make that choice since the show, on a tonal level, they really didn't want to dwell on what that meant or how it impacted everyone, thus skipping way past the fall out to the make up/make nice. I value the show's tone being largely light and fun, so I'm mostly okay with forgetting all about it.

I just thought the look J/H exchanged indicated that Henry had already told Joe he wasn't going to stay in CC or whatever. But, yeah, it would be great if there were some deeper meaning.

And yes, I basically think that in order to protect the light tone of the show and the presentation of Barry as simply heroic, with not much complexity, they gloss over these things that I actually think are richer story/character elements. It's why I can't get with the show--there are no consequences on a relationship level or character level for what I think are Big Deals. It's procedural in a way that keeps me at a distance as a viewer, because anytime it feels like they're building to something, or anytime something big happens--afterward it's like all the air just leaks out of the story. There's no payoff, so for me, there are no stakes. No one seems to care very much about anything, in the end. All of GG's tears are for naught if Barry's the only one who gets to feel anything. We see none of Iris's grief over Eddie (just like she was only allowed to be angry for 10 minutes last season after learning about EVERYONE in her life lying to her for months), none of Caitlyn's grief over Ronnie, no one resents Barry--even unwittingly. I just. Eh. Whatever, the show is probably just not for me.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:44 am

Binged it. Liked it. The Flash has the advantage of a pretty good rogues gallery (something Superman lacks) and despite how dumb the 90's series was they did manage some good fan service recasting especially Marc Hammil.

Like 23 people know his secret identity. The Kardashians are more discrete. And any reveal is going to pale in comparison to the JLU episode where Lex Luthor switches brains with him and takes off the mask only to realize "I have no idea who this is".

I've never been able to get behind Firestorm, even when I was a kid when he was the Christian Laetner of the Super Friends that he was just something DC kept trying to make happen instead of something actually popular.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:32 pm

So we know Captain Cold (Miller=perfection) knows Barry Allen is the Flash. It's an interesting plot point. I don't recall if we know that Lisa Cold knows this. Because if she doesn't, well.

She goes to the coffee place to find Cisco. He is there with his friends, the scientist, the reporter, and some lanky kid. She then ends up in Star Labs (soon to have its own Starbucks and metro station) to converse with Cisco, the scientist, the reporter and the lanky Flash.

She is not an idiot.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:18 pm

Holy shit, King Shark!
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:50 am

Boy did I HATE that episode, JFC Marty Sue much? If there is one sure way to make me stop givng a fuck about Barry it's A) not hold him responsible for anything and B) have hot mature smart guys state openly how Barry Allen is better than he ever was OR EVER WILL BE. I just why are tv writers so bad at understanding "propping", and how it does the inverse of what they want it to do?

Also say what you will, but I'd rather have Evil, but layered Wells, than the smug annoying dick smack from Earth 2.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Corvus wrote:So we know Captain Cold (Miller=perfection) knows Barry Allen is the Flash. It's an interesting plot point. I don't recall if we know that Lisa Cold knows this. Because if she doesn't, well.

She goes to the coffee place to find Cisco. He is there with his friends, the scientist, the reporter, and some lanky kid. She then ends up in Star Labs (soon to have its own Starbucks and metro station) to converse with Cisco, the scientist, the reporter and the lanky Flash.

She is not an idiot.

You ever notice you never see Flash and Clark Kent in the same place?

Can't go wrong with Michael Ironside and a Scanners shout out.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:13 pm

I noticed that Linda clearly saw Dr. Light call Jay "Flash", so she might believe in the future that Barry COULDN'T be the Flash because she's seen the Flash's face.

I really enjoyed, but there was one moment which made me think Team Flash can be really stupid some times.

BARRY: So, Dr. Light is Linda's double.
CAITLIN: She could be in danger.
JAY: Let's keep an eye on her.
(ENTER IRIS, LINDA'S CO-WORKER)
(CRICKETS CHIRP)
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content