Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outlander

+21
Gillian
wenchsenior
LadyGayle
Cynara
Grainne Mhaol
Escape
salamandersam
year of the cat
Kiran
naughty zoot
Corvus
slmader
Raksha
Fiammetta
Arabella
xyzzy
Gallifrey Girl
QueenSix
eventide82
snorf
ulkis
25 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Outlander Empty Outlander

Post  ulkis Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Anyone planning on watching it? The leads are pretty hot, which you know, helped convinced me lol. I liked the first book but never read the rest, so I'm glad to go into it relatively unspoiled.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Outlander Empty Re: Outlander

Post  snorf Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Me! I'm a Ron Moore fangirl. I read the first book (sort of, I really couldn't stand Claire so kindof skipped bits) and am struggling through the second book but could class it as abandoned. I only read the books so I would have a basis of who the characters are, so I'm happy enough with that.

When does it start?

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:09 pm

I started reading the first book but couldn't even make it half way. My mum and sister love the books though. I wonder if I'll enjoy this more as a TV series? I'll probably try the first episode or so and see.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:23 pm

I've read a few of the books in the series, though the only one I actually remember most of the plot from is the first one. I'll tune in for an episode or two at the start to see how it looks and to support the lead actress, who is Irish. Whoo, local girl does good, etc!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 am

eventide82 wrote:I started reading the first book but couldn't even make it half way. My mum and sister love the books though. I wonder if I'll enjoy this more as a TV series? I'll probably try the first episode or so and see.

I liked the first book for the most part, although it really was a guilty pleasure for me because I did find some parts unbearably cheesy.

The leads look good so far. It starts early August. Starz shows always premiere on the weekend so probably the first Saturday of August.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:06 pm

I *love* these books! My copy of the new one (the eighth, not counting the Lord John spinoffs!) arrived from Amazon today. I just have a hundred pages to go on my re-read of the last one before I start it.

When I'm fast forwarding through commercials during Continuum (the only show I currently watch on Showcase, where it's airing in Canada), I always stop and watch the SAME DAMN TRAILER for it. Every time. Though they recently added a second one, so now there's variety in my repetition! That said, while I think the show looks great as a fan, I don't think the trailers themselves are that good. If I wasn't familiar with the books already I'm not sure how much it would catch my eye. They're kinda confusing even? Dunno. But, I'm really looking forward to it, and am glad it's getting a series rather than a movie.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm mystified by this project. That it was greenlighted in the first place and that Ron Moore is the man making it.. It just seems so very odd. I do love Ron Moore, so I will give it at least one episode.

Book spoilers ahead!
Spoiler:
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm mystified by this project. That it was greenlighted in the first place and that Ron Moore is the man making it.

I think they're going for a "Game of Thrones for women" angle, which is a phrase I've seen thrown around. Pretty inaccurate, but whatever.

I'm willing to bet they'll put in that scene. The only Starz series (that I've seen) that hasn't been super raunchy is the White Queen, and that was probably because it aired on a BBC channel first.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:27 pm

The White Queen aired at 9pm on Sunday nights. You couldn't be getting the populace of the UK/Ireland all riled up with raunchy shenanigans with Monday morning just around the corner. There would be chaos. With sexy results, no doubt, but still. Chaos!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:05 am

I hope the show's as good as its Instagram account.

I pictured Jamie's hair being brighter, more vividly red. Honestly, Frank is looking handsomer at the moment.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:18 am

Oh no I think this guy looks super hot. Might be the appeal for me, heh. I mean, he was definitely described as much bigger and red haired, but I don't think it's a big deal. It's not like he's a twig by any means.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:57 am

Oh, Ron Moore is the showrunner? I was dubious, but I might as well check it out now!

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:51 am

Ron Moore? Wanna start taking bets on how long it will be before everyone starts hallucinating other people and/or cats or on how long before religious prophesies/metaphors come into play?
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:05 am

Also, what whisky he'll be drinking/ cigars he'll be smoking during the pod casts.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:37 pm

I love Tobias Menzies so I'll be watching, but I know nothing about the books that isn't general knowledge.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:45 pm

I think they're going for a "Game of Thrones for women" angle, which is a phrase I've seen thrown around. Pretty inaccurate, but whatever.

42% of GoT viewers are female and fully 1/2 of GoT social media activity is from females. Do these people even tv? And yeah, you're right that it's an inaccurate comparison anyway. GoT for women would be more like a tv version of the Paksennarion saga. You know, taking place in a fantasy world based very loosely on real historical events. But the tv execs are probably right... how could I possibly be interested in swords and boards and Jacobite politics in old Scotland without twu wuv?

Whatever. If it's GoT for women I better see some very fine nekkid men. And, as Atia of the Julii was so kind to remind us in HBO's Rome, large penis is always welcome. ;)
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:21 pm

I've never heard of that series. Thanks, off to check it out!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:42 pm

'Outlander' news

They're splitting the season with 8 episodes now and 8 next year? I hated it when they did it with Doctor Who and I hate it now. I cannot see the reasoning behind that at all.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:55 pm

Well, Starz series are always 8 or 10 episodes a season long, so I'm not surprised. Is it book 1 and book 2 or is book 1 16 episodes? Seems a bit excessive if it is.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:13 am

Now we're splitting first years of movies/TV series into two parts? Curse you, Deathly Hallows! At least it's not a year between halves.

The first season just covers the events of the first book.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:42 pm

io9 have a spoiler free review of the pilot. They loved it! I'm so excited!

I hadn't expected the first season to be 16 episodes (was figuring more like ten, like Game of Thrones), so I'm not too bothered by the season being split, as I'm getting more than I thought anyway.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm going to try reading the first book this week so that I can watch it. My mum got tickets to a preview screening of the first episode this week and she's ridiculously excited.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:35 pm

The official premiere isn't for another week but the first episode is already available for preview (Youtube link if the first doesn't work). Just to be safe I'll spoiler my thoughts:
Spoiler:

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:41 am

I watched it, and enjoyed it (in contrast I'm not really a fan of the books). Love the way Frank is portayed, and look forward to seeing the actor play Black Jack Randall. After watching I really get a pang on how much I miss TWOP and the recaps. I just did a search online but couldn't find the depth and detail that twop was famous for. Will try again after the official airing.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:12 pm

A wee dram soapy for me, but so well done. The landscape and the music stir the soul, so what's a bit of bodice ripping?
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum