Outlander

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Outlander

Post  QueenSix on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:23 pm

I liked it too. I'm a fan of shows that take themselves seriously enough to have their production values well sorted and that have taken the time to find the right cast but aren't po-faced serious with how they present their story. (See also: Sleepy Hollow). I always think that's a good sign that there's a smart team behind it.

I thought Frank and Claire were good together, like I believed they were a couple that were reconnecting. But there's a slow burn chemistry there between Jaime and Claire - nicely done.

I loved the opening credits and the song too. Great to see Bear McCreary is in charge of the music.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:42 pm

I thought it was great, but I just can't justify the additional cost to add Starz to our cable package. Sigh. I guess it'll be out on DVD this time next year.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:46 pm

naughty zoot, would you judge me if I said that as I'm in the wrong country for Starz, I had to see the episode through 'other means' and might possibly watch the entire series that way?

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:58 pm

I liked it, which was weird because the books were such a hate read for me.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:57 pm

QueenSix, the expression "by any means necessary" was coined for times such as these, was it not?
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:47 pm

naughty zoot wrote:QueenSix, the expression "by any means necessary" was coined for times such as these, was it not?

So very true. *sighs deeply*

I liked it, which was weird because the books were such a hate read for me. wrote:

I reread the first book recently and it struck me that I never really felt much for the characters, even the first time I read it and I've read (or sped read in some places) all of them except for the last two. I mean, I followed their story but they never grabbed the way other characters have in books. But watching the first episode, I found myself more interested in them and what they're doing. I suppose that's all down to the casting and the way they interact with one another.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 pm

I watched it, and enjoyed it (in contrast I'm not really a fan of the books). Love the way Frank is portayed, and look forward to seeing the actor play Black Jack Randall. After watching I really get a pang on how much I miss TWOP and the recaps. I just did a search online but couldn't find the depth and detail that twop was famous for. Will try again after the official airing.

I miss twop for a lot of reasons, but I wouldn't read a recap for a show like this, I don't want any unromantic sarcasm puncturing anything, lol.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Claire's voiceovers keep making me think the Liz from Roswell diaries: circa 1745 version. Oh yes Ronald Moore. I remember that show. I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU WORKED ON IT. Although I forgot Liz's name so maybe I am forgetting it piece by piece, although I did remember Liz's book name so maybe that's just how much she sucked on the show. Um. Anyway.

Kinda disappointed in the theme, especially after McCreary's last two theme songs, which were perfect. His theme for Black Sails tricks you into thinking that show didn't turn out to be a giant snoozefest. The song itself is fine, just not great for the credits. The ending credits music was much better.

ETA: Someone told me Bear McCreary wanted an instrumental opening credits and Ron Moore wanted it to be the song. Friggin Ron. Bear McCreary is a genius, pretty much, maybe we can listen to him regarding the music?

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:29 am

The first book is great for me, the rest are dog-barking mad.  I like that Claire has actual experience with warfare and isn't snotty with a bunch of people who can slit her throat unless it is a medical necessity, at which point she swears like a drunken sailor. My mental picture of Jamie is at least a foot taller and a true-red head, so it will take a while before I warm up to this one.
Spoiler:
I HATE BRIANNA. That is all.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm

year of the cat wrote:The first book is great for me, the rest are dog-barking mad.  I like that Claire has actual experience with warfare and isn't snotty with a bunch of people who can slit her throat unless it is a medical necessity, at which point she swears like a drunken sailor. My mental picture of Jamie is at least a foot taller and a true-red head, so it will take a while before I warm up to this one.
Spoiler:

year of the cat, why do you
Spoiler:
hate her?

I've only kinda skimmed through the second book, so I'm guessing it has to do with
Spoiler:
that she seems kinda bratty? I read the part at the end where she was flipping out about Claire telling her the truth about who her dad is

I guess I might read the rest of the books if the show makes me curious, but otherwise I haven't really felt the desire to go further, since
Spoiler:
book number doesn't really end on a cliffhanger at all

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Uklis,
Spoiler:
Kinda bratty doesn't cover it. I know the author wants us to see her temper as from Jamie, but I don't see much positive to counter it.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:10 pm

ah, thanks.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 pm

I watched the pilot last week, but am considering getting Starz just to watch this since my cable company is running a special. The scenery is gorgeous and I pictured Jamie differently.

As to Brianna, I hated her for a few books but she's grown on me as they haven't mentioned her temper so much. It seemed a bit cliche to me, fiery redheads having terrible tempers and Brianna really came off as a brat for a long time.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:29 pm

year of the cat wrote:The first book is great for me, the rest are dog-barking mad.  I like that Claire has actual experience with warfare and isn't snotty with a bunch of people who can slit her throat unless it is a medical necessity, at which point she swears like a drunken sailor. My mental picture of Jamie is at least a foot taller and a true-red head, so it will take a while before I warm up to this one.
Spoiler:

I can actually get behind all of these statements. All. I even quit reading the books after the 3rd or 4th? I dunno. One was so terrible I just walked away and never went back. She definitely suffered from needs-an-editor syndrome later one. Yikes.
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:54 pm

We were going on vacation for two weeks when this aired, so I went to set my DVR before we left and discovered to my dismay that Canada is actually going to be a couple of weeks behind the US.

Not wanting to wait when we got back (as I am a *huge* fan of the books), I had my husband *ahem* acquire it for me on Monday. Loved it!

This morning I woke up to a notice from my internet provider with an attached note from "the copyright holder" saying they had bit torrented it from our computer at such and such a time/date (while we were downloading it) and to quit it. Eep! Scared straight!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Renewed for a second season!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Already? Wow!

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:01 pm

I think they renewed "Black Sails" (also on Starz) even before the first episode aired. I wouldn't be surprised if they got really high ratings (for this network) but I guess, like I said, you don't need as high ratings or maybe with the smaller seasons it's easier to renew. I dunno.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:17 pm

I had read that the premiere was a ratings record for Starz.  Taking into account all viewings this week, the premiere got 5 million views, which is very good.

Spoiler for the second book:

Spoiler:
I'll be interested to see how they handle the 20 year time jump for the second book.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:00 am

Episode 2: I do not cover Claire's corset or lack of modern underwear but I did like her arm warmers and neck scarf she wore in the final scene. (Off-topic: I had arm warmers like that once. I made the mistake of showing them to Momo who asked to try them on and then told me "If I had these, I'd wear them every day" and then smiled in a way that said, 'try and get them back. Go on. I dare you'. I let her have them).

Having read the book, I know what's going to happen but they're working the intrigue and the distrust of Claire very well on screen. I'm liking her and Jaime's relationship and the way they're developing it. Such a treat to see Annette Badland appear. (She'll always be Margaret Slitheen to me. Boomtown is one of my favourite Nine episodes).

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:12 am

My issue with the books was that I could never get past
Spoiler:
the Jamie beats Claire to make her a good wife scene. I know I am simplifying it but that and the general craziness wore on me. I'm hoping the show diverts a bit.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Ah yes. That scene. I googled it to see if it had been mentioned at all during cast interviews so far and it seems like it will be included. However, interviews from a few weeks ago said it hadn't been filmed yet so we'll see...

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm reading the first book now and I had huge issues with that scene, to the point where I got so angry I almost stopped reading the book.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:06 pm

I can see as a historian she would want to include it, and reasons why as "oh no you didn't" that she shouldn't have. I couldn't continue with the series once they went to the plantation South...because while she isn't of our era, she is still our stand-in. She is in the novel because she knows how the battle ends, it's not like Huck Finn and Scarlett "What War I'm going to the BBQ" O'Hara, where the character is clueless but the reader knows how the coming events are gonna hit them like a train. It made it worse somehow? Historyacademic-splain squickfail.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:33 pm

year of the cat wrote:I can see as a historian she would want to include it, and reasons why as "oh no you didn't" that she shouldn't have.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I had a lot of trouble with the first time I read it and didn't finish the book actually, but I went and read it again several years later and I had less trouble with it, for a bunch of reasons. I don't really trust Ron Moore with it though, he'll probably make it worse oh man.

Last edited by ulkis on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top