Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emmys 2014

+17
Snarryfan
mokey75
blixie
Shalamar
eventide82
Kiran
particle_person
Eris Rising
BrightEyes
Agent Sculder
Poubelle
The Dude
Gillian
Binky
Cutebutpsycho
Morning Angel
truecrystal
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Emmys 2014 Empty Emmys 2014

Post  truecrystal Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:53 am

Complete 2014 nominations list

Color Me Baffled: Kerry Washington, Christina Hendricks - especially over Elizabeth Moss. I have really never understood all the CH acting love, Kate Mara, Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey instead of The Good Wife

Snubs (aka This Is Bullshit): Tatiana Maslany - I know it's a popular complaint but it really is true; Emmy Rossum and Noel Fisher for Shameless - seriously, they both were *amazing* this season; stunt coordination for Arrow and Strikeback; nothing for Hannibal - lack of acting noms was bad enough but nothing for cinematography for such a visually stunning show is ridiculous

Burn It Down If: Veep doesn't win all the comedy awards -this last season was pee-your-pants funny.

Glad They Made It In: Christine Baranski, Joan Cusack, Josh Charles

Maybe Next Time: Terry Crews, John Slattery

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Emmys 2014 Empty Re: Emmys 2014

Post  Morning Angel Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 am

I can't believe The Americans got no love whatsoever. Highway robbery!

Agreed though that I hope Veep sweeps in the comedy.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 pm

In the Scandal universe, while I'm happy for Joe Morton and Kate Burton, BELLAMY WAS ROBBED AS WELL AS JEFF PERRY. THEY WERE FUCKING ROBBED! DISHONOR ON YOUR HOUSE! DISHONOR ON YOUR COW!
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm baffled by two things:
True Detective classified as a series instead of mini-series. The actors/setting/storyline are all going to be different next season. It's not a series.

Half the Orange is the New Black ladies as 'guest stars' not supporting. I did read that this covers season 1... But still.

Also I hate virtually all the CBS comedy series and don't think they deserve anything.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:30 pm

I'm super bummed about no love for Tatiana Maslany or anybody from The Americans. Well, I think Margo Martindale got a guest actor nod, but still! Come on! Golden Globes need to pick up the slack there next year since they failed me, too.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Gillian wrote:I'm super bummed about no love for Tatiana Maslany or anybody from The Americans.  Well, I think Margo Martindale got a guest actor nod, but still!  Come on!  Golden Globes need to pick up the slack there next year since they failed me, too.

Yes, Margo Martindale did get an guest actor nomination, but that's barely anything given all the good performances in that show, and the general great writing and look.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Only three acting noms for Game of Thrones. Don't Disagree with any of them (Lena Headley, Dinkledge and Diana Rigg), but I will still beat the table for Maise Williams and Pedro Pascal deserves a nom a Guest Actor.

I expect Matty Mac will run off with the Best Actor award.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:43 pm

Binky wrote:I'm baffled by two things:
True Detective classified as a series instead of mini-series. The actors/setting/storyline are all going to be different next season. It's not a series.
Apparently, there's some arcane rule that if a show has a "created by" credit, it's a full series unless the creator lobbies for it to be a miniseries. (Fargo has "created for television by" instead, Ryan Murphy lobbied to get AHS considered as a miniseries.) My solution would be to ignore True Detective entirely and let Good Wife have the Best Drama nomination it deserves after this incredible season. Or they could drop Downton because it's gone so far downhill it's underground. (Like, I enjoy the show*, but it's a period soap at this point.)

What seems really weird to me is OINTB as a comedy. Speaking of comedy, Lena Dunham is in Anna Faris's rightful slot. (The aforementioned Emmy Rossum would also be a better choice.)

Captain Janeway has an Emmy nomination now. Good for her.

*Except for what they did to Anna
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:40 pm

I was glad to see that Sherlock did well in its categories, but it looks like it's going to be steamrolled by The Normal Heart. Congrats to Martin Freeman for getting nominated in the Best Actor AND Best Supporting actor in a mini-series or television film for two different things!

And while I wasn't expecting Hannibal to get any acting nods (as much I would have loved to see Hugh Dancy get nominated) the fact it wasn't even nominated for cinematography just shows that the people who vote on the shows just don't watch Hannibal. You only have to watch the show once to see how visually striking it is. Also robbed: Raul Esparza. He made me love Chilton, and a I never thought I would say that.

Honestly, I think part of the problem is that there are so many good shows on TV right now, it's a lot harder to get nominated. Although, what Jeff Daniels is doing the Best Actor in a Drama category, I have no idea.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm so happy that Lizzie Caplan got nominated. I wish Caitlin FitzGerald had gotten a nomination as well. Virginia and Libby, together and apart, are my favorite parts of Masters of Sex.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:11 am

It seems like if it doesn't make the cover of People, it doesn't get nominated.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Bumping for actual Emmy goodness.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:15 pm

I had NO IDEA the Emmys were tonight. I was half-listening to the news and heard a commercial, and when they said tonight, all I could say was, "WHUH?" Glad I heard the commercial, otherwise I'd be totally confused seeing the results online tomorrow.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Given how many people aren't there...it seems like a lot of them didn't know it was tonight.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:37 am

Modern Family won again? And pretty much everyone who won in the major categories was a re-tread of last year? Look, I'm happy for Bryan Cranston, who deserved his win over Matthew McConnaghey. But Aaron Paul beat Peter Dinklage?

The biggest shocker as far as I was concerned: Sherlock actually won stuff, including awards for both Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. I figured everything in the TV film category was going to go to HBO for The Normal Heart.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:22 am

I was really happy for Breaking Bad (I liked True Detective a lot and the performances but it won the one award I think it absolutely deserved, directing), Julianna Margulies and Allison Janney, but was pretty much wtf on everything else.

I actually DON'T hate Modern Family and I LOVE Ty Burrell, but really? Really? Especially over Tony Hale, Andre Braugher and Adam Driver? And Modern Family won over VEEP AND OITNB? Also, Jim Parsons is very talented and seems lovely but what does he have on the Emmys?

I also was surprised by the Sherlock love. I actually do enjoy that series, so I ain't mad at it, but I am sad that The Normal Heart didn't pick up any acting awards. That movie was wrenching.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:08 am

My personal theory on why Sherlock broke through: vote splitting. When you have multiple nominees from the same movie in one category and no consensus "best" option, I can see a lot of votes getting spread out that way. But pretty clearly neither Martin or Benedict thought they had a chance in hell in winning because neither showed up, which I find hilarious. I think Stephen Colbert got to accept Martin Freeman's Emmy, and I can only imagine how thrilled he must have been to get to get his hands on Bilbo's award. I can already imagine him holding it hostage and forcing Martin to exchange the Ring in order to get it.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:23 am

I'm really happy Allison Janney won because I think she's the strongest part of Mom, and her line delivery is perfect. I was also really happy Julia Louis-Dreyfus won again, because I think she kills it on Veep, and I'm so disappointed Tony Hale missed out AND that the show didn't win Best Comedy - I think season 3 was their strongest to date, largely in part because of the ensemble and the writing, so as much as I love Modern Family, I think there were equally or more deserving shows.

I loved Billy Crystal's tribute to Robin Williams, but I was surprised there weren't more clips - it felt very rushed and squashed in. I know the show can't be all about him, but I thought it warranted a tiny bit more.

I thought Seth Myers was a good host and that overall, it was a good telecast.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 am

Vote-splitting is a good explanation. I thought might happen with Breaking Bad and True Detective, but fortunately it didn't. I am enjoying all the, "Yo, HBO, True Detective was a miniseries!" I am seeing all over the internet today. Because it was and should have competed in that category. For once I agree with Emmy's rewarding the same show repeatedly. I still don't get their obsession with CBS shows, though.

I was disappointed in the tribute to Robin Williams. Not in Billy Crystal's words, but in the footage they chose to show of Williams. He not only started on TV, he did dramatic turns as a guest actor - for which he was nominated for an Emmy! I wish they'd shown his work in Homicide and L&O: SVU.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:39 am

I didn't watch the show, but I saw the Robin Williams tribute on YouTube, and I agree with you, Binky. I know what they were going for with the "conversation with his son" bit at the end, but I was somewhat amused that the original bit ended with his "son" saying "Nah. Fuck it." They cut the last two words for obvious reasons.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:11 am

My biggest take away from this VMA/Emmy's weekend: Gwen Stefani needs to stop freezing her face, she can't even talk straight or move her eyelid and she doesn't even look like herself. STAHP.

I am enjoying all the, "Yo, HBO, True Detective was a miniseries!" I am seeing all over the internet today. Because it was and should have competed in that category.

Yes exactly I'm glad Hot Ass Cary Joji Fukunaga won (and everyone should watch his Jane Eyre multiple times for the sheer beauty of it) for his gorgeous directing, but I loved that all the overreaching movie stars got smacked down, by the TV voters. Sorry Wooderson, you're not beating Bryan Cranston, but you could of won an Emmy if you stayed in your miniseries lane. Usually they love movie stars slumming too, but this year not so much. Which made it all the better when Jessica Lange won for the second straight year for AHS. La Lange's faux humility and surprise made the whole show for me. I only wish I could have seen her swan by Julia Roberts post show all, "What's the matter dear, did you not win?"

That's how you do T Swift.

I approved of almost all the female winners: JLD, Allison Janney, Juliana Margulies, Jessica Lange, I think I might have swapped Angela Bassett for Kathy Bates, but even she was great and all over 40 if not 50.

But I can not make myself care about Breaking Bad, Sherlock, Modern Family, or The Big Bang Theory and they pretty much owned the night, so it was a huge snore in terms of who was going to win. I did laugh when The Normal Heart won, and Roberts couldn't hoof it up to the podium fast enough, and when she made Best Actor, per usual, all about her: "I'm sorry to anyone who doesn't get to hug me." Classic.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:48 am

blixie wrote:My biggest take away from this VMA/Emmy's weekend: Gwen Stefani needs to stop freezing her face, she can't even talk straight or move her eyelid and she doesn't even look like herself. STAHP.

I was half paying attention when they announced her and Adam Levine, so when I looked up and saw her, I was SO confused. I was like, "didn't they say Gwen Stefani? How is that Gwen Stefani?" And then she mispronounced Colbert and I was all, "yup, that's her." She is unrecognizable, really.

I really, really don't get the Modern Family love. We tried watching a few episodes, but it was so unfunny to me. Painfully so. The fact that their director gave (what felt like) the longest, rambliest speech of the night did not help. Bah.

I loved JLD and Cranston together, both presenting and then when he grabbed her and kissed her on her way to the podium. Veep was totally robbed. I was delighted that Julia Roberts lost, though I also would have picked Angela Bassett over Kathy Bates. I thought Seth Myers did great, and the Weird Al segment was delightful (if you've got to shoehorn a musical number in to an awards show, that was the way to go). It DID feel awfully rushed, though. I wish they'd shown more clips from the acting nominees.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:03 pm

I was a little surprised that when The Normal Heart did win--Ryan Murphy did not let Larry Kramer speak! My love for Larry is complicated but he is amazing at these shows because he is so over giving a fuck.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:06 pm

He's been not in the best of health from what I gather, I was surprised he was even there, so maybe he wasng up to it?
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:47 pm

My best guess about Sherlock is that the Academy is generally a few years late on rewarding things that are challenging, or niche, or actually good. Like, I will never get over Kyle Chandler winning for FNL--that one win almost makes the Emmys worthwhile--but it happened after the series ended. That's sort of their pattern, in many cases. So anyway, I didn't think the third series of Sherlock was as good as the first two, but I think Cinnamon Toastncrunch is being rewarded for just being everywhere and himself, and the series was getting something for the sum of three seasons of good TV. I wasn't mad at it.

Otherwise, I wasn't surprised by anything, except in the bad way (Modern Family, Jim Parsons). Kinda glad Breaking Bad is over so other things have a chance, but they deserved everything they won.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next