Facebook

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Facebook

Post  mayram on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Is it wrong to be incredibly amused by other people's annoying relatives on FB? My former boss has a really wacky mother who used to drive her insane, but lived far enough away that she didn't deal with her that much. She's apparently discovered FB and is doing all the standard "older person who doesn't understand that FB is public" stuff and it's cracking me up to witness it.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Yes! My best friend's boyfriend's family is, shall we say, a little nutty. They're the perfect combination of easily offended and clueless about technology/pop culture. After the election, she posted the abortions for some/minature American flags for others exchange from The Simpsons and one of the aunts freaked out about how abortion is no laughing matter and the only ones not laughing are all the aborted babies in heaven.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Ha. On a similar note, I'm taking a sort of perverse pleasure in seeing who posts that Copyright Notice. On my feed, it was almost 100% of the people of a Certain Generation. My in-laws and all of their friends, my coworkers, my older relatives. I always want to post links to Snopes when things like this pop up but some of those people would be offended, so I just sit back and judge instead.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  megageek on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm having a Facebook issue and Google is failing me, so I'm turning to you guys. I recently started dating a guy (yay, etc.) and changed my relationship status accordingly. When I changed it to "in a relationship," I was prompted to enter an anniversary date. But now I'm thinking I'd rather not have that listed for everyone to see. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it. When I go to edit my profile, the option to change the anniversary doesn't even appear, and on the iPhone app I can change the date but not remove it completely. Am I completely out of luck or is there some obscure method that I haven't come across yet?

megageek

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:04 pm

megageek, have you tried messing around in your activity log? You might be able to hide it from your timeline there.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  megageek on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Yeah, I looked through my activity log and it wasn't even in there. It's just on my profile (on the About page, not my timeline/wall/whatever it's called now).

megageek

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:18 am

Mr. Tabby has finally joined Facebook. He's just got a few friends, plus he Likes several other pages. The strange thing is that updates, from friends and other pages, take days to show up on his news feed. This morning, for example, my status from Jan. 1 was at the top of his feed. We went through his settings, but couldn't find anything that could be causing this. Any ideas?
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:21 am

I am FB friends with Mr. Tabby. I'll have a look at his profile and see if I see anything weird, and let you know.
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Mr. Tabby has finally joined Facebook. He's just got a few friends, plus he Likes several other pages. The strange thing is that updates, from friends and other pages, take days to show up on his news feed. This morning, for example, my status from Jan. 1 was at the top of his feed. We went through his settings, but couldn't find anything that could be causing this. Any ideas?
My feed is like this all the time. I only have two friends and a few likes and things are always screwed up in my feed. Stuff from weeks ago pops back up, I get things days after people post them. It's so weird.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:20 pm

I noticed that earlier today while surfing my mother's Facebook. Someone's post from New Year's Day was top of the news feed while a video I had posted was after it. I think it's just a glitch with Facebook.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:Yes! My best friend's boyfriend's family is, shall we say, a little nutty. They're the perfect combination of easily offended and clueless about technology/pop culture. After the election, she posted the abortions for some/minature American flags for others exchange from The Simpsons and one of the aunts freaked out about how abortion is no laughing matter and the only ones not laughing are all the aborted babies in heaven.

Oof, I feel you. My cousin is one of my best friends but her in-laws are all of the "Dictator Obama is going to steal our guns!" stamp. The other day her husband and I were talking about school ID cards when his mother, whom I have never met in my life, jumped in out of nowhere to tell me that school IDs are obviously the mark of the beast and she was offended that I didn't think so too, and if I don't shape up I'll be left behind in the Rapture. I took the whole lot of them out of my news feed that day and have been enjoying Facebook much more since then.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Hee. I love having a front-row seat to my friend's Facebook trials, to be honest. Her BF's family are lovely people, but when she posts something the least bit controversial, I just want to pop some popcorn and settle in to watch the ensuing mayhem.

It's OK to side-eye parents* who complain ALL THE DAMN TIME about how overworked parents are, and how no one understands them blah blah blah, but then find the time to post SIX HUNDRED photos of their kid at Disneyland, right?

*No one here, of course. I really enjoy seeing photos of Snarker babies.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:56 pm

VodouDoll wrote:
Unlucky Bear wrote:Yes! My best friend's boyfriend's family is, shall we say, a little nutty. They're the perfect combination of easily offended and clueless about technology/pop culture. After the election, she posted the abortions for some/minature American flags for others exchange from The Simpsons and one of the aunts freaked out about how abortion is no laughing matter and the only ones not laughing are all the aborted babies in heaven.

Oof, I feel you. My cousin is one of my best friends but her in-laws are all of the "Dictator Obama is going to steal our guns!" stamp. The other day her husband and I were talking about school ID cards when his mother, whom I have never met in my life, jumped in out of nowhere to tell me that school IDs are obviously the mark of the beast and she was offended that I didn't think so too, and if I don't shape up I'll be left behind in the Rapture. I took the whole lot of them out of my news feed that day and have been enjoying Facebook much more since then.

Ha! I admit I would be totally taken aback if someone said that TO me, but it's exactly the kind of wacky behavior that I love to read. I'm still getting a kick out of my former boss's mom, who is outdoing herself lately with embarrassing wall posts that really, really should have been private messages. Apparently she's been flying off the handle frequently IRL and then sending public FB apologies.

It's OK to side-eye parents* who complain ALL THE DAMN TIME about how overworked parents are, and how no one understands them blah blah blah, but then find the time to post SIX HUNDRED photos of their kid at Disneyland, right?

Oh yes, I have one of these on my wall (incidentally, she's also one of the "Dictator Obama" folks mentioned above). Always posting memes about how hard stay-at-home mom's jobs are and how it's a 24/7 job with NO breaks...and yet she has time to post on FB 10 times an hour about how little time she has to do anything but care for her 2 kids (in between whining about Obama, welfare, "true Americans", etc.)

I'd have defriended her long ago, but the trainwreck factor keeps me coming back.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Oh my God, my in-laws and their friends fall victim to every stupid hoax imaginable, but this one posted this morning is maybe the best ever:
IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSCREEN, DO NOT STOP TO CHECK THE CAR , DO NOT OPERATE THE WIPER AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY WATER, BECAUSE EGGS MIXED WITH WATER BECOME MILKY AND BLOCK YOUR VISION UP TO 92.5%, AND YOU ARE THEN FORCED TO STOP BESIDE THE ROAD AND BECOME A VICTIM OF THESE CRIMINALS. THIS IS A NEW TECHNIQUE USED BY GANGS, SO PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES. .

Plz do spread awareness. .
Stay vigilant out there, folks. 92.5% of your vision could be blocked by egg-wielding gangs!
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:32 pm

You mock, but that totally actually happened to my brother's wife's sister's father's neighbor's hairdresser's uncle's dogwalker. True story.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 pm

It's totally true and I know this because I.Was.That.Egg-Wielding.Gang!!! *brandishes eggs in threatening fashion*

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:24 pm

My friend told me her friend's cousin's neighbors Oranjello and Lemonjello had that happen to them.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 am

OK, I scoffed at the stupidity of that one.... and then someone on my FB just posted the same thing.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:38 am

A girl I used to work with just "poked" me. Is that even still a thing? I'm going to mark it down as "she's drunk and has hamfingers".
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:51 am

I think I guffawed when I saw a week or two ago that that poking thing still exists. I thought they plain got rid of it years ago!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 am

Wow, a woman on my feed (she is the wife of a friend) is losing IT. Said friend is a hot mess of fuck up, but this woman chose to ignore this for years, and is now cracking under the pressure of having a premie baby and toddler, and finding out he is exactly the shiftless dick every one else who has ever met him understands him to be. I am torn between being UNCOMFORTABLE and not being able to stop reading her coming to Jesus car wreck. Like I can *hear* the maniacal edge of laughter in her ranting.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:42 pm

That's really horrible, but I can totally see why you can't pull yourself away from her updates. I hope she finds a way to sort out all the pressure and grief she's experiencing.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:02 pm

I just read a Facebook post that had EIGHT HASHTAGS. And as far as I could tell, it wasn't one of those joint Twitter-Facebook posts. But even if it was, EIGHT HASHTAGS. The post itself consisted of two words. That's only okay if you're making fun of hashtags.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:24 am

Pardon my ignorance, but does using the FB app count towards data usage? I burn through my 2GB of data so quickly each month, and I'm trying to figure out how since I don't use the internet much on my phone. If viewing my Twitter and FB feeds via apps eats data though, then I suppose that solves the mystery.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 am

Yes, it does. On an iPhone, you can tell you're using data when a little spoked wheel appears on the left side of the bar at the top (the one with the clock). There's probably similar indicators on Android, etc.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top