Facebook

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Facebook

Post  Guest on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks Carrie Ann and tothemax for your informative answers. Yikes. I think I may delete photo albums, unless I only have pics of the city with no person tagged, since I don't like people oggling them. A few years back, I had a friend from ES oggling my pics and making suggestive comments about the way I was dressed. Of course, when I told him I didn't like it, he turned it around to me being the one with the problem. I just want to avoid those conflicts.

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:23 pm

tothemax wrote:Regardless of your privacy settings, your friends could always save a pic you shared, if not through a direct download link, then by right-clicking or taking a screen capture. The direct download links probably lets more people think it's OK to save a pic, but it's not a new feature either.
You're right. The sharing thing is a bigger concern to me w/r/t the download option. If I mark my stuff "Friends Only," I want only my friends to be able to see it (and download it). (Unless I tag a friend in it, in which case I understand that their friends or the public will also see it, depending on their settings.) Now you can't control that, which means you rely on ALL of your friends to be smart about sharing, and to have good privacy settings. It just seems like a simple fix to me - add a checkbox that says "allow sharing" and another that says "include download link."
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:25 pm

This morning when I checked Facebook on my phone, I had List notifications. I've never made a list, so I was confused. I clicked on the notification and it's all one person's activity - my husband's cousin who send me a request to confirm that we're family which I've just left hanging out there because he bugs the hell out of me online. So if I've left the request hanging out there without an official confirm or deny/ignore, why has Facebook decided I need a list of his activity? I have another family member who sent me the same sort of request that I have also left hanging out there and she isn't on this list.

I'm confused. And also annoyed, because now I feel like I HAVE to respond to this guy's family request and I really don't want to. But I don't want a stupid notification of a list of his activity popping up every time I log in on my phone (but I just realised this hasn't happened at all when I logged in on my PC today), which I can see in my newsfeed anyway. Facebook, why are you so weird and confusing?
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:25 am

I deleted facebook a while back and I have to say, I don't miss it at all. I moved over to google+ and I love it because the privacy controls are so easy, clear and useful.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:07 pm

My activity on Facebook has been so far down lately that they sent me an email to inform me that they WOULDN'T send me individual emails when someone comments on my status updates/pictures/general activity. And that's been rather awesome.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:16 pm

I think they sent that to everyone. I got it a month back or so and I've been a pretty steady user.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 am

Yeah, I think everyone got that email. I also haven't had the ticker in weeks, and I think there's a pretty high level of activity on my list, so I don't know why I don't get it but I'm very grateful. I had it for like the first week, and then it went away.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:25 pm

I got the email and was happy to receive less email at first, but opted to receive individual notifications because I missed out on comments that were important. I don't like that thing the right side that lets you Facebook while you're Facebooking on Facebook. That and top stories annoy me to the point where I've used the site a lot less, but I'll get over it soon enough if my past behavior is any indication.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:30 am

(Apologies, this is another rant of mine.)

I am positive I wasn't showing up in the ticker when the first introduced it, because in previous iterations of the privacy settings, I turned off the ability for my likes, comments, friend adds, etc, to be shown only to me and no one else. So I expected no activity would be documented anywhere. If I check on my own wall, it still says that activity is hidden. But then a few days ago, I started seeing myself in the ticker. And this is OBNOXIOUS. Any of my FB friends will laugh, but I swear I am less active than I used to be. I do not feel comfortable doing anything when I'm at work because my co-workers can now see whatever I post. And I think I understand that it depends on the privacy level of my friends now; if one of them has a public page, for example (though, who in their right mind would do this is beyond me), it'll show up. But how on earth would I know that? I hate that I've had to cede this control.

I've tried looking for where I can change the privacy of my activity, but it doesn't exist the way it used to, so I have no idea how to fix it.

I'm still anti-Google+, but this is annoying the shit out of me. ARGH.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:09 am

Carrie Ann wrote:It only took about five days before one of the comments was something totally inappropriate for me to see (it was my friend offering condolences on the loss of the other person's mother). I immediately realized that should something similar happen to me, literally thousands of people would be able to see my friends posting their condolences to me. But there is basically no way to prevent strangers from seeing this stuff. And there's no way for you to stop seeing it from other people. Aside from the gross privacy-invasion stuff, most of it is just really tiresome. Like, I don't care AT ALL about my friends' posts on the walls of people with whom I am not friends. Stop filling up my ticker with that junk.

Yeah. This happened to me recently. I saw a friend offering condolences to her friend (who I don't know, not my friend, was not mutual friends with any friends besides her) on the death of his father. And I don't want to see that, I bet she didn't want me to see it, I bet HE didn't want me to see it. Fucking facebook. I don't understand why I need to see that, or why I need 3 goddamn feeds.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:32 am

I've solved a lot of the superfluous posts from friends by creating a list with everyone I care about on it, but I never considered how much of what I do is showing up on my friends' feeds. UGH. I wish more people were using Google+!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Most of my problems with new Facebook went away when I created lists. Like, for example, my Snarkfest list. I think it's a thing of beauty. When the board was experiencing problems I updated my status and you guys were the only ones who could see it. I loved that. I felt super stealthy and spy-like.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:01 am

The lists thing definitely solves my personal view, but I still very much dislike the fact that I may show up on OTHER people's ADHD tickers.

I also refuse to use the defaulted names FB has set up. I know it's a random thing to get persnickety about since my entire life is on there, but god knows what nefarious reason they'll use the "family" list for, you know?

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Is there some new bullshit awareness status garbage going around? Because this irritating woman I know posted "I am going to live in Miami for 26 months," and when someone posted "What???" she posted "Glad you believe me! Check your inbox!"

I hate this crap.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  Corellderaan on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Oh god - is that one of those things. Urgh. I had a friend who posted that she is going to live in St Petersburg for 7 months. And since she is someone who travels a lot and has lived overseas we all seem to have fallen for her stupid ruse.

Corellderaan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:44 am

Oh Christ, I saw that today too. Except it was Dominican Republic for 3 months. It was a fellow teacher so I assumed it was for some teaching exchange. Now I know that it's for stupidity instead.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:24 am

Yup. My best friend's mum messaged all the females on her flist with it. I didn't want to say anything because, well, her husband died not 6 months ago of cancer and I felt it would be rude. So I just deleted the message and hid her status update. Which kind of makes me feel like a bitch.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:53 pm

I don't get it. So people are posting status updates saying that they're going on a trip for several months even though they're not? What is the point of this?

All this talk of changing privacy setting has me paranoid, but I don't want to give FB the satisfaction of logging in to check. I get a perverse glee from the monthly (and also creepy) e-mails with subjects like, "Blooey, you haven't logged in for 78 days, 2 hours, 37 minutes, and 23 seconds. Are you still alive? We miss you!"

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:18 pm

So what is that supposed to represent? Like the country is your health status and the length of the trip is how long since you've last spoken to someone with cancer? I mean, obviously not, but I am just... so confused. This is as bad, if not worse, as the one where the drink or fruit or whatever represented marital status.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:24 pm

The Lady of Shalott wrote:Is there some new bullshit awareness status garbage going around? Because this irritating woman I know posted "I am going to live in Miami for 26 months," and when someone posted "What???" she posted "Glad you believe me! Check your inbox!"

I hate this crap.

I do too. I fell for this. Some people said it had to do with breast cancer awareness though I really fail to see how it has anything to do with that.

Apparently, it's linked with month and date of birth:

"I am going to live in (month you were born [see below]) for (day you were born) months!

January - Mexico
February - London
March - Miami
April - Dominican Republic
May - France
June - St. Petersburg
July - Austria
August - Germany
September - New York
October - Amsterdam
November - Las Vegas
December - Columbia
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:42 pm

But your birthday's not a secret* . . . that's even dumber than the bra color thing, which at least theoretically in some alternate universe could be something to be coy and titillating about.

Though I guess that person you know has a birthday two days before mine, LoS (omg, I can't believe I just admitted that in mixed company!!!)

* Unless you're Ron Effing Swanson, who I'm pretty sure doesn't play Facebook games.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Auugughghghghg this girl I hate just posted a photo on FB of her boyfriend's bleeding HALF-SEVERED TOE after a training accident. Holy holy holy holy THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH WORDS FOR HOW GROSS AND WRONG THAT IS.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:53 am

Is it wrong that I want you to like or comment on that photo so I could see it?

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Hallelujah! They're putting back the option for a chronological news feed. I already have this "sort" option and have switched mine to "recent stories first." The "top story" triangle in the corner of "top stories" still exists, but who cares? It is now a light-colored triangle that I ignore while I read my news feed posts in their proper order.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:01 pm

My serial liker is at it again. I wish I could set FB to not tell me when certain people have done something, because I don't want to go so far as to block her. First world Facebook problems, yo.

I also have a FB friend who's a guy who I know only online (we were in the same online community ten years back), who lately has taken to going through my photos and hitting Like on things from three years ago. I think he is mostly just clueless but this is creeping me out.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top