Facebook

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Facebook

Post  Swarley on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:18 am

Honestly, I think vaccines are harder on parents than the children. Kids cry for a moment and then it's over. Parents anticipate and fret and worry and take it way harder in my experience (giving the vaccines because I don't have kids). The anti-vaccine stuff makes me angry. I haven't seen any of it on my Facebook but if I do I'm just going to defriend the person, I think.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:46 am

inversed wrote:Ugh I hate that SO MUCH. My son got his first vaccines the other day and I was asking the doctor about the benefits of spacing them out. She gave me a skeptical look and I had to be like "Noooo I'm not one of those anti-vax nutjobs, I just wondered if it would be easier on him that way!" There is so much out there clearly debunking the vaccine/autism myth that it takes a special kind of obtuseness to still believe it.
There's less debunking going around than you'd think. My wife is one of those "nutjobs", and while I've tried to explain it to her, there's never been a huge, "Oh, we were wrong!" retraction from the media. Not that you really expect there to be. But the bad science got reported everywhere and the reversal not so much. And even then, it's hard to shake the paranoia that took root from the initial reporting. Even if you accept that the one article was bad science, all that does is cast doubt on everything, pro and con.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 am

My friend calls that "How Everything In Your Kitchen Can Kill You!" journalism. Except that its really the obverse- lack of vaccine can kill.  Evidently rubella needs something like a 90% compliance rate for population immunity to work, and these memes are causing clusters of breakouts in non-compliant areas. Somebody on Snarkfest:Facebook had a link with the gory details, but I don't remember who.

In other news I caught up adding Snarkers! on Facebook.  That way y'all will know if I die ;)
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Yeah, it's a really slippery issue. It got SO MUCH traction, and then there's really no showstopping way to prove a negative, you know? My mom and sister, both of whom are very intelligent, still kinda sorta think there's maybe something to it. My other sister (who's studying to be a speech therapist) basically got in a fight with them about it. They were like "But, mercury..." I don't think they have deeply researched it or whatever (and my mom is a reader of many many alternative health publications and also never met a warning she didn't take to heart just in case), but there is just enough worry surrounding it to make it seem not entirely UN-plausible. And if you're not a scientist, it's hard to get your head around enough of the science to convince yourself. Once it's suggested, it's hard to shake. Plus of course there are some people who are genuinely anti-science or anti-government who are motivated to have people believe that it's true. And again, unless you're a scientist, it's something that it's hard to do your own research on to your satisfaction.

I think there's also a self-interest component: if you don't vaccinate, YOUR kid probably isn't going to get measles (although as we've seen it's not impossible), but it's not just about your kid, it's about everyone's kids/the public good. But it's like taxes; you're paying for stuff ("paying" with what feels to people who believe in this like basically inviting the fates to give your child autism) that benefits other people in a hard-to-observe way. So it's very, very easy to say "Eh, I'll just not vaccinate and then I don't have to worry." (Except worry that your kid/other kids will get a disease that should not be a concern in this day and age...but the effectiveness of vaccinations has made people's fear of those diseases basically vanish.)

And finally, if you've heard that this is true, and your kid has autism or you know a kid with autism, and that kid was vaccinated (as most kids are), of course your brain is going to want to say "omg it happened, it's true after all, I KNOW it's true because it happened to ME."
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:15 pm

I don't let an antivax statement pass on FB without me debunking the shit out of it. I've probably been defriended for it, but that's fine, I consider it a threat to my integrity as a public health professional to let that sort of misinformation slide. I just happened to see this article today that sums some of the risks up well.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Facebook is trying to force me to use their "top stories" sorting, but I will not give in! I have it set to "most recent" and it showed posts in the last 30 minutes and from before 5 hours ago (As if no one posted in the last 5 hours, right Facebook.), but when I switch to "top stories" I can see statuses from that time period.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I am not just being difficult but am being totally honest when I say that Facebook's thing with bringing recently-commented-on stuff back to the top is making me lose interest in Facebook. Because I can no longer say with any reliability when I've "finished" catching up on posts. I have to go like way, way past where I think I left off and be knee-deep in familiar posts before I'm satisfied that I've seen more or less everything. I'm sure this is partly me being anal-retentive, but it's become such a huge ordeal to "catch up" that I've found myself just not bothering to read stuff because I won't get it all so what does it matter? I don't know where the beginning or the end is. This is similar to how I deal with Twitter (even though Twitter does go in order, but I must have followed too many people because it goes way WAY too fast for me, and it's at least like 40% your fault, Emily Nussbaum) -- depending on the day I either glance at it as it goes by or just ignore it completely because I can't deal, and partly due to that I don't feel very connected to it. With its insistence on putting stuff in incomprehensible order, Facebook is getting to that territory.

I've decided I really like Tumblr's setup, where you read down your dashboard, and new posts accumulate in the form of a little indicator number at the top of the screen, but do not auto-load. WHEN YOU'RE READY, like when you read all your posts from the night before, you can reload and see the newer ones. No shenanigans about "top stories" or what was commented on last or your friends or acquaintances or what have you. Just the posts, in order. I scroll mindlessly through Tumblr a lot, but THAT IS OK WITH ME. And if I reach a post that I've already seen THEN I KNOW I'M DONE.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:33 pm

I hate Facebook. That is all.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:38 pm

punzy wrote:Facebook is trying to force me to use their "top stories" sorting, but I will not give in! I have it set to "most recent" and it showed posts in the last 30 minutes and from before 5 hours ago (As if no one posted in the last 5 hours, right Facebook.), but when I switch to "top stories" I can see statuses from that time period.
Oooooh, is that what's going on? Thank you! I was having the same problem, no new posts in the feed for hours and hours, but I could see new posts in the ticker (although they would come and go) and if I clicked on people's profiles I could see new posts on their timelines. When I switched to "Top Stories" I got most (but not all) of the recent posts. Stupid Facebook.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:22 pm

I am not just being difficult but am being totally honest when I say that Facebook's thing with bringing recently-commented-on stuff back to the top is making me lose interest in Facebook. Because I can no longer say with any reliability when I've "finished" catching up on posts. I have to go like way, way past where I think I left off and be knee-deep in familiar posts before I'm satisfied that I've seen more or less everything. I'm sure this is partly me being anal-retentive, but it's become such a huge ordeal to "catch up" that I've found myself just not bothering to read stuff because I won't get it all so what does it matter? I don't know where the beginning or the end is.
God, me too. I can go days without logging in so if I'm scanning the feed and see something I know I saw last week, I stop.

Also, they seemed to have dialed this back a touch, but for a little while I was getting daily emails about some unread messages that I have in my FB inbox. I KNOW THEY ARE THERE, FB! And its YOUR fault that they are still unread since you introduced that "read on/seen by" feature that tells people exactly when you opened their message.

I now read the text of the messages in the email notice and leave them unread on the site if it's something that I know I can't immediately get back to. At least that way, if I take forever to reply, the other person won't be wondering why I read their message and ignored them, they may just think I haven't gotten it yet.

I don't know if I unsubscribed myself from those emails (the only FB emails I want to get are the ones that tell me if I have a message or someone commented on my stuff), but they have mercifully stopped...for now.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:33 pm

I just went on a mad Snarkfest friending spree.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:06 pm

You know, in general, the "facts you don't know about me" meme that's going around isn't too bothersome. But trust me, former college classmate, there was a good reason most of us did not know if you were a top or a bottom. That was a fact I was fine not knowing about you. I think I speak for many people among the hundreds and hundreds of FB friends you have.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:02 am

Poubelle wrote:You know, in general, the "facts you don't know about me" meme that's going around isn't too bothersome. But trust me, former college classmate, there was a good reason most of us did not know if you were a top or a bottom. That was a fact I was fine not knowing about you. I think I speak for many people among the hundreds and hundreds of FB friends you have.
Yeah, I'm actually good with that meme, since some of the stuff is interesting, but it is not carte blanche for TMI>
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Yeah, this meme doesn't really bother me. Not that I'm going to be doing it, mind you -- it's just not my thing-- but everyone who I've seen do it seems to have had fun with it.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 am

I ended up doing that meme, completely by accident, because I don't carefully read FB. And I hate meme's. I also feel it's no one's business if I'm a top or bottom but apparently not everyone feels that way.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:13 pm

I don't mind those memes when the facts are interesting tidbits, but when they're just "I prefer banana smoothies over strawberry smoothies," I roll my eyes. And TMI is just gross. But when it's another way to reconnect with someone I haven't seen in a while, by seeing what's changed or what I never knew, I actually kind of like them.

I don't like the actual survey-esque memes, though, because generally they will ask things that make me think of those chain letters my friends sent me when we were in middle school. See smoothie example above, with the question being "what's your favorite smoothie flavor?"

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Is "Unfollow" the new "hide [person] from News Feed?" There are some people I'd like to hide because while I support their efforts at self-improvement I don't need to see 45 inspirational quotes a day. But I don't want to de-friend them by accident!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackie on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Apparently the November daily "thing I'm thankful for" has a December counterpart: "Days of Christmas Giving."

A college friend has been doing this from the start of the month, and it may be my dark cynical nature coming into play, but it just seems SO self-serving and obnoxious to post about doing something that's ostensibly for someone else and frankly... they're kinda lame and more along the lines of being a decent human being rather than something to humblebrag about. Like "I gave ten minutes of uninterrupted, silent, heartfelt prayer for everyone I could think of" and "I stopped to help a delivery boy when his dolly full of plastic crates toppled over" and "I volunteered to be last minute face models for my friend's Mary Kay color graduation." And her other friends just eat this up-- "You're SO thoughtful!!"

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Crackie

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Whoa, yeah, that is...the opposite of the point of giving to others. I roll my eyes at the month of gratitude, because I'm a cynical bitch and a lot of the time I see that as humblebragging. This is just...actual bragging.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:01 pm

I once saw a loooooooong FB status/post about how this woman and her husband were waiting in line at a fast food resaurant and... lots and lots of details... apparantly were behind a veteran who couldn't afford any food. So, basically she and her husband bought this guy food and then bought him another meal to save for later. If true, a lovely thing to do. But the whole point of the post was about shaming everyone else in the restaurant for supposedly ignoring this guy and being horrible, horrible people.

Of course it was followed with tons of replies about how that's b/c they are so wonderful and such good people, unlike those evil people in the restaurant. Or maybe those people have done something and don't go out of their way to brag about it on FB? Maybe they have their own personal reasons for not being able to pay for someone else's meal?

Maybe get your head out of your ass and do something good without the intent of posting about it in major detail on the internet later? Just a thought.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  RubyTuesday on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:59 pm

inversed wrote:Is "Unfollow" the new "hide [person] from News Feed?" There are some people I'd like to hide because while I support their efforts at self-improvement I don't need to see 45 inspirational quotes a day. But I don't want to de-friend them by accident!

Yes, I think so. I had to hide a friend a long time ago because I hate my newsfeed full of her various causes (totally support her, don't want to see sad pictures of animals). I just went to her page and it gives me the option to "Follow" her, and we're still friends.

RubyTuesday

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Unfollow = the BEST for relatives you don't want to deal with on FB but can't unfriend for various reasons.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:04 am

Facebook memes seem to be improving. After the generally-decent "things you don't know about me" one, there's now "10 books that stuck with you." Which is clearly even better, because it's really hard to overshare with that. I mean, I guess you could pick something like 50 Shades, but even then your reasoning could be "it stuck with me because I had no idea that writing could be this bad."
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 pm

I like the book one, although sometimes I feel people undershare with that one, ironically.

Slightly OT, but is there a FB group for The Snarkening? I found a group called Snarkfest, but it looked like it was more a small group of RL friends than related to this forum.

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:13 pm

There is one! It is a secret (keep it safe). If you PM me your email I can invite you.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top