Facebook

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Facebook

Post  punkysdilemma on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Eris Rising wrote:9 is on the high end, 11 reaches Rod and Todd Flanders levels of naivete.
If we had upvotes here, I would upvote you extremely.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:38 pm

9 is on the high end, 11 reaches Rod and Todd Flanders levels of naivete.

Snix. I laughed out loud.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:25 am

Tabby wrote:
Ah jeez, it's Elf on the Shelf season time. I don't know why that grates on me so much, but it does. Time to hide some people again.
Thank goodness, there's only one person in my Facebook feed who does that Elf idiocy (a cousin). And none of my Jewish friends have decided to get on the bandwagon with this.
Oh wow, the Mensch on a Bench? Must every Christmas thing now have a corresponding Hanukah thing? (I like how they describe it as "a new tradition.")

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Has anyone else noticed now in the newsfeed you can sometimes see a comment below someone's post? Like, if there is a post that has more than a couple of comments, you get to see the first comment that's been made? It's bizarre and makes things look more cluttered. I've noticed it's usually when it's a mutual friend that's commenting, but it's super annoying.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:48 pm

I guess this bitch is more about Amazon, but certainly related to Facebook. I was just buying some Christmas presents on Amazon and after checkout, I noticed a little box in the upper right corner that said "Sharing...[insert gift for person who is an FB friend] on Facebook" (there were also options for Twitter and something else).

The address I use for Amazon is not the same one I use for FB and even if it was, I would not have enabled that link between the two (though God knows FB would find a way to link itself to everything in my online life if it could!), but seriously? Is this necessary?

I can understand if you were looking at something cool and wanted to talk about it, you could hit the little share icon, but this thing honestly looked like an automatic share as soon as you complete your transaction if your accounts are linked. So those gifts would have been cats out of the bag, so to speak.

And even if it's not completely automatic, do we really need a way for people to share every last thing they buy on Amazon? Because everybody's got at least a couple people on their list who will do just that. Possibly an irrational irritation on my part, but I do get so tired of the prompting to "share" every last thing I do online.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:54 pm

mayram I've noticed that a lot lately on a variety of shopping sites as well. I don't necessarily want to shout to the world how much money I spend online shopping (not that it's a lot or anything), so I really, really think the last thing I would be sharing on Facebook is what I've purchased and where. Plus if it's a Christmas gift, why would I share that on Facebook where the gift recipient would see it? I totally agree with you - it's stupid and unecessary.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:13 pm

It's like websites think we want to connect what we do there with Facebook. Even blogs and online news sites have started asking you to use Facebook to comment. The other option? Your real name using your google account. No way am I going to post just anything for anyone who knows me to possibly see. That's why I like having a username on sites like SnarkFest. Anonymity still has a place.

This sort of reminds me of when Facebook used to trick you into those news site apps, so that it would say if you read something. The trouble came in when you clicked on a story with the headline "couple arrested for
NWS example:
having sex in neighbor's doghouse",
and your grandma saw it before you knew Facebook had posted it for you. (This really did not happen to me. My grandmother doesn't have Facebook. I'm just making a point.) Fortunately it seems they did away with that, and I thought they did away with posting who purchased what too... maybe they've snuck it back in. :/

(Do I have to hide NWS comments? It's been a while so I don't remember...)

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RubyTuesday on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 pm

A good friend just posted a status demanding the entire world stop saying Happy Holidays. She says if someone is Christian, say Merry Christmas. If they are Jewish, say Happy Hanukkah. If they are neither of those 2 religions then they are not celebrating a holiday and should  therefore get a Happy New Year. I knew it was a matter of time before she made this post. I'm Catholic but couldn't give a crap if someone says Happy Holidays to me instead of Merry Christmas - if someone wants to wish me a pleasant greeting I'm not going have a hissy fit about it. I want to comment on her post but, ugh, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

RubyTuesday

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:21 pm

And you're supposed to suss out their religious affiliation...how? Assumptions based on how they look? Can't see anything going wrong with that.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  RubyTuesday on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:40 pm

Exactly. Also, I did post a comment which basically states that happy holidays can encompass all religions/beliefs and wish for people to enjoy this festive time with their loved ones (I stole the exact comment from another board b/c they summed it up better than I could!) and I added that I can't get offended/upset if someone wishes me a pleasant greeting. Her response was simply "im not upset at all but i celebrate the birth of Christ thats what i am celebrating". I want to point out that it kind of sounds like she is upset since she demands everyone STOP NOW. And just because she celebrates the birth of Christ doesn't mean everyone else does.

RubyTuesday

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:37 pm

RubyTuesday wrote:A good friend just posted a status demanding the entire world stop saying Happy Holidays. She says if someone is Christian, say Merry Christmas. If they are Jewish, say Happy Hanukkah. If they are neither of those 2 religions then they are not celebrating a holiday and should  therefore get a Happy New Year. I knew it was a matter of time before she made this post. I'm Catholic but couldn't give a crap if someone says Happy Holidays to me instead of Merry Christmas - if someone wants to wish me a pleasant greeting I'm not going have a hissy fit about it. I want to comment on her post but, ugh, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.
Gosh, how ignorant does someone need to be to think Chrismas and Chanukah are the only holidays in December?
It's a big world ... maybe open a book sometime.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:58 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people on my feed this year posting about Yule the other day, and only ONE person posting the Christian Keep the Christ in Christmas/War on Christmas bullshit. Rock on, friends.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:09 am

No offense to your friend, but why does she think she has the right to dictate what people say and when?

I've had friends post that, but oddly enough, some of them will also post "it doesn't matter what you say" posts that are countering the memes.

Which bids a more general question: Are there people who really just share whatever they scan over without really thinking? I'm beginning to think that must be the case, based on some of the contradictory stuff I see people post. I realize we all have contradictory views, but it's practically Jekyll and Hyde with some people. So either they want attention through controversy, or they just like sharing things. The former is annoying, and the latter could damage your relationship with people.

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RubyTuesday on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:52 am

The sad thing is my friend wasn't always like this. She's become very religious in the past 2 years or so and as a result seems, to me, very judgemental and intolerant of beliefs that differ from hers. Almost like since she found God, she feels very strongly that everyone else needs to find Him also. My aunt has twice this year shared the "It's Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays, share if you agree" meme. However my aunt just randomly shares things so I can easily ignore it. My friend took the time to type up a lengthy post.

RubyTuesday

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm plenty grateful that the holiday making the biggest appearance in my news feed was Festivus.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic View next topic Back to top