Facebook

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Facebook

Post  Swarley on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:Hallelujah! They're putting back the option for a chronological news feed. I already have this "sort" option and have switched mine to "recent stories first." The "top story" triangle in the corner of "top stories" still exists, but who cares? It is now a light-colored triangle that I ignore while I read my news feed posts in their proper order.

This is the best news I've gotten all day. There's nothing more annoying than looking for someone's post and not being able to find it under all of those "Top Stories" that no one EVER cared about.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Facebook has a new small redesign element that I actually really like! The box that comments are in are grey for me now, and it makes the page easier to read. Amazing.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackie on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:58 pm

I thought that my parents were past doing stupid, embarrassing stuff on Facebook. I thought wrong. My mom chose to post about how much she likes my boyfriend-- on my wall. And then got incredibly pissy when I asked her to please not do things like that ever.

Lovely.

Crackie

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaslobe on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:My serial liker is at it again. I wish I could set FB to not tell me when certain people have done something, because I don't want to go so far as to block her. First world Facebook problems, yo.

Ugh, the Serial Liker. I feel your pain. I had one who liked ALL my posts, LOL'd at everything I wrote, and would go back on my wall to comment on posts from OTHER friends -- who they didn't even know, and would kill the thread because they'd be replying to inside jokes/comments. I had to eventually start kind of ignoring them and that seems to have made the problem go away (OMG, it DOES work!). Seriously, though, it went on for a good few months, and it sucks while it lasts. Because, on the one hand, I felt like kind of a jerk for being so annoyed because that's kind of what Facebook is about. But on the other hand, EVERY post? That's kind of creepy, no? Especially for someone who's not even one of my good friends? Boundaries, dude.

So, yeah. Hope your Serial Liker chills out a bit.

lisaslobe

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:41 pm

I am SO happy I can have the stories in my feed in choronological order now, the way they ARE SUPPOSED TO BE. I was getting so annoyed with things showing up at the top of the list from three days ago as a "top story" when I had already unmarked as a top story the first time I saw it three days ago.

Now if they would just let us choose not to have top stories in our feed ever and get rid of the stupid ticker things will be fine.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:51 am

If you go to Serial Likers page, there will be a Subscribe option at the top of the page. Click on it and you'll see a list of What type of updates?. Deselect Comments and Likes. Hopefully, that'll cut out most of their liking from your feed.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:40 pm

So, I'm still psyched about the new "sort by most recent" option, but just to warn ya, it reset to "sort by highlights" when I logged in this morning. That's OK; I got used to clicking on "Most Recent" instead of "Top Stories" in the old feed, so I can get used to this.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Algae wrote:If you go to Serial Likers page, there will be a Subscribe option at the top of the page. Click on it and you'll see a list of What type of updates?. Deselect Comments and Likes. Hopefully, that'll cut out most of their liking from your feed.
Isn't that just so it quits telling me what she did on other people's feeds? I'm not subscribed to her.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Hmmm....probably. I seem to see less from my serial liker, but it could be that I don't talk a lot, so haven't noticed her responding too much.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 am

I find myself strangely addicted to a new game called Coco Girl where I can indulge my inner fashionista and dress my model in stylish clothes, shoes, bags, and jewelry. After getting new outfits I wonder, "would this ever make the front page of Go Fug Yourself?".
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:31 am

That sounds like it could turn into a dangerous time-waster!* Also, Go Fug Yourself should put a section on their Facebook page where people could submit those outfits and get them graded or something.

I love having my news feed listed in chronological order again. I have noticed a reduction in Facebook activity as the news feed has gotten more and more annoying. Maybe people will start posting interesting stuff again. Or at least I'll be able to actually see the stuff they do post!

*I say, searching furiously for the game.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Sheli wrote:That sounds like it could turn into a dangerous time-waster!*

*I say, searching furiously for the game.
Hee hee, as they say on Tumblr, GPOY.

I found a(nother) flaw in the chronological-order option. If you have "view comments and likes" for the person still selected, it will include posts that your friend has commented on, ordered by the time of their comment, even if the posts themselves were posted hours ago. Not a huge thing but it confused me at first. (I've been unclicking that option for all my friends, but not in any methodical way; just whoever's visible when I happen to think of it.)
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Is anyone else having this issue? My dad's news feed doesn't appear to want to load. Apparently it's a known issue, but it hasn't been resolved. He wanted me to "ring Facebook" for him. Which, hahahha and also, awww.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Is anyone else struggling with Facebook messages? I'm quite frustrated, since I either don't get my message notifications, or the messages flat-out won't load for me on FB at all.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  lucylane on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:42 pm

My newsfeed won't load on the iPhone Facebook app (it started when I installed the latest update the other day) but at least it will still load on the web version (both regular and mobile). Still, annoying!

On an only tangentially related note, my iPhone just autocorrected "newsfeed" to "breeders". Okay, then!

lucylane

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:16 pm

A girl that I went to middle school with posted a long tl;dr message about how she's leaving Facebook over the Timeline change, and she's really really bummed about not being able to be in touch with her friends any more! But she's going to "user [her] love for [her] friends to keep in touch with them, not my NewsFeed" guys, so don't worry. And this:
I'm so over having Facebook track and document my life, and for encouraging my mental and emotional dependence on its services. If I seriously expect myself to be a parent some day, I have to take better responsibility for my own life before I'm liable for someone else's.

Wow, I didn't realize FB was such srs bzns. I think we will all be OK without her on Facebook, you know.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Has anyone had problems with wall and mobile photo albums? I find that this is happening constantly for me and for others who post to those albums; they'll post a picture that joins the album, and yet a glitch causes some comments and likes to either be for the whole album, or for the first picture in the album. For instance, I posted a wall photo the other week, and got some comments and likes on the very first picture in that album -- which I'd posted like, 4 years ago. I think it's more a problem with the Facebook app; I'll click on a picture and it'll load, but then all of a sudden the count of likes/comments will change. That signals to me it's going to the wrong image.

This has been happening for a very long time; you'd think they would have fixed it by now.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 pm

The Lady of Shalott wrote:A girl that I went to middle school with posted a long tl;dr message about how she's leaving Facebook over the Timeline change, and she's really really bummed about not being able to be in touch with her friends any more! But she's going to "user [her] love for [her] friends to keep in touch with them, not my NewsFeed" guys, so don't worry. And this:
I'm so over having Facebook track and document my life, and for encouraging my mental and emotional dependence on its services. If I seriously expect myself to be a parent some day, I have to take better responsibility for my own life before I'm liable for someone else's.

Wow, I didn't realize FB was such srs bzns. I think we will all be OK without her on Facebook, you know.

On the bright side, at least she knows she's not ready to have kids and she's taking steps, however small, to become a better person. No, just kidding, that's just hilarious, but then that's the response you would expect from a thrall of the global hegemony whose motto is "UPDATE STATUS OR DIE!"

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:07 pm

The worst part is that this girl is totally pregnant! And then she's been posting regular status updates ever since about how she's a "domestic goddess" and I am so confused!!!!

Well, not really. I'm just glad I'm not really friends with her any more, and I'm questioning my judgment at age 13.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm fascinated. I wish my love worked like Facebook. I would start by hiding certain people.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 am

Got fooled by another stupid breast cancer thing again. "I am going to [place determined by birth month] for [birth date number] months!" People have got to just be making these up, right? Intentionally being obnoxious? I guess it's as helpful as people who think they are starting these memes for "awareness." The notification emails always start with "Ok ladies...It's that time of year again!" Is it just me, or don't these pop up every other month?

It was kind of funny to watch my sister try to coyly explain to my ENTIRE extended family why she announced she was going to Amsterdam for 24 months.
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Jamie wrote:Got fooled by another stupid breast cancer thing again. "I am going to [place determined by birth month] for [birth date number] months!" People have got to just be making these up, right? Intentionally being obnoxious? I guess it's as helpful as people who think they are starting these memes for "awareness." The notification emails always start with "Ok ladies...It's that time of year again!" Is it just me, or don't these pop up every other month?

It was kind of funny to watch my sister try to coyly explain to my ENTIRE extended family why she announced she was going to Amsterdam for 24 months.

I got fooled by the same one. In my defense, it was from a co-worker during the week where my work was shut down while the board decided "the strategic direction of the company" so I was looking for clues everywhere as to whether or not we all still had jobs and seeing that someone was going to Florida for 25 months seemed like a big clue. I felt like an idiot when I found out.

On the upside, I realized that this is only the second time I've ever seen anyone post one of these things so apparently my friends list is mercifully low on the meme-participating types.
On

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 pm

I got fooled, too. I only had one of them show up on my feed, and usually a lot more people do it. The girl who *did* do it had just decided to drop out of nursing school and find her true life path, so it made total sense to me that she would be going to a foreign country for 14 months. I didn't reply on her status, but I did ask my sister later, "What's up with so-and-so going to this foreign country?" And then I felt stupid. I hate these things. But hey, less participation must mean that people are finally getting sick of it, right? Right???

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 am

I got fooled by one too, and normally I just ignore them. This friend claimed she was going to London for 13 months, and it's not unusual for Australians to do that, so I just thought 'cool, good opportunity', and posted a congratulations.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:42 am

Anyone else having trouble with their timeline? My status updates are appearing on the main news feed, but not on my own timeline. It's...irksome, but everything is irksome today [/off to the Blowing Off Steam thread].

I'm also not sure how I feel about the timeline in general. I switched because it was inevitable, and I like the idea of the cover picture ('cos I like pretty things), but overall I find it more convoluted than before.

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top