Death Pool

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Death Pool

Post  QueenSix on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes, there were times in the past few years when stuff she'd say would have me feeling very uncomfortable because I didn't agree with her at all. But during the 90s, when Ireland started to open up (for want of a better word) and we got more channels and the internet started happening, and I was able to indulge all my entertainment news longings, she was fascinating to me. She was on TV, she talked about people and places that were so far outside my experience, she belonged to a different world, and she'd been through so much with her husband's suicide but she kept going. She kept working, the world was throwing shit at her her but she kept going through regardless. I admired her for that. And she was funny, she made me laugh.

There won't be another like her.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurker on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:39 pm

I just feel so sorry for Melissa Rivers. Never been that much of a Joan fan, but didn't hate her.

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:47 pm

In addition to Melissa, I feel so bad for Cooper her grandson. I just rewatched Piece of Work (streaming on Netflix) and remember when they were on Celebrity Wife Swap (shut up, I only watched for Joan) and they adored each other so much, there relationship was so sweet.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:05 am

I never thought I'd really say I like Joan, but hearing the E! anchors talking about her warm spirit, her kindness to fans, and boundless energy at work made me respect the person she was despite the fact that she could be extremely crass and offensive in front of the camera. She seemed to enjoy her 81 years on the planet, and I hope she's in peace now.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:12 pm

I always say about my aunt-"She's a good woman, you just can't tell it by the things that come out of her mouth." Joan was like that-no filter, but obviously someone who was great to be around or people wouldn't bring her back again and again. Poor Melissa.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Her act was often super vicious and she said a lot of mean things, and yet there was this other side that threw many. Just about every person who worked with her/encountered her said she was incredibly kind, professional, and thoughtful. She was a total professional. She was especially kind to people who were still at the start of their careers, and she really gave a lot of herself.
So I am not inclined to say she was a terrible person. She was an incredibly complicated person.
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Per Rolling Stone in 1983: "the worst thing you can say about Joan Rivers is everything she says about herself is true."
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:38 pm

I am glad she got to do one final Emmys fashion police. In recent years, her comedy seemed more about being vile than funny, not funny and vile. Also, between the reality show and some more honest interviews, sometimes she felt like that geriatric family member who says asinine things, but is also vulnerable and a little sad. I am sure she would hate that description, but it is true.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 am

Richard Kiel, Jaws from the Bond and Eegah.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 am

Kiel was in one of my favorite classic Twilight Zone episodes, "To Serve Man." RIP, sir.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Another Bond villain, Geoffrey Holder, has passed at age 84. He was in Live and Let Die. I also remember his 7-Up ads from back in the day.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Oh, he was Punjab in the 1982 Annie! I loved him in that film when I saw it umpteen times in the cinema, God bless my parents for indulging me at a young age. Sorry to hear this news now.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:31 pm

My first reaction was also not Punjab! I think Annie might have been the first vhs tape I ever owned.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Paul Revere, founder of and keyboardist for Paul Revere and the Raiders, one of my favorite garage bands from the 60s. Kicks is, and always will be, my jam.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:11 am

I was also sad about Punjab. :(

I was obsessed with Annie -- I mean, OBSESSED. It sort of never occurred to me that the people in Annie might die someday. Not a fan.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:46 am

Theater, film, and television actress Marian Seldes
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:34 am

QueenSix wrote:Oh, he was Punjab in the 1982 Annie! I loved him in that film when I saw it umpteen times in the cinema, God bless my parents for indulging me at a young age. Sorry to hear this news now.

I didn't realize he was Punjab until I saw it on FB (the news kept referring to some soda commercials that I don't remember). He made a big impression on me, that fancy spin he did when he threw the bomb out of the house, using his turban to save Annie from the bridge, etc.

I was obsessed with Annie -- I mean, OBSESSED. It sort of never occurred to me that the people in Annie might die someday. Not a fan.

Ha, my sisters and I were so obsessed with this movie that we actually wished we were orphans. :/ I'm sure my parents loved that. We had this one raggedy dress that we used to fight over for when we played orphans and we each had our own characters. I was Molly because she was the youngest, my middle sister was Annie (not sure why she got to be Annie), and my oldest sister was Pepper because she was the meanest, heh.

Anyway, sorry to hear this news. :(

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:50 am

My sister and I used to play a game we called Orphans in the Closet, which consisted of climbing up through the top of this playground climbing structure and pretending we were the orphans escaping after Miss Hannigan had locked them in. (I guess after we got out of the closet it involved running up a pretend Fifth Avenue trying to get to the Warbucks mansion and complaining about how far it was.) We also were with my dad once at Building 19 (this store of cheap stuff, I don't know how else to describe it) and he said we could pick out something and we picked out scrubbrushes so we could pretend to be orphans. My dad supplied a rusty metal bucket and we were delighted.

My favorite orphan was always Duffy, but I also liked Kate and July. My sister would be Kate because she liked her the most, and then sometimes Molly because Molly was the youngest. I really loved Grace Farrell though. Daddy Warbucks/Miss Farrell was my first ship. Hee.

We also used to play "Help me, Punjab!" where one of us would hang off the jungle gym and the other would be Punjab and come rescue her and say "Buddha says, 'A child without courage is like a night without stars.' Come! Hahahaha!"

RIP, Punjab.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:52 pm

Bad day for 7th Heaven. Sarah Danielle Madison, the actress who played Sarah, dead at 40.  I remember thinking she was so pretty.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:32 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Jan Hooks!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:07 pm

According to Shayles' book the women in that cast hated each other. I was always Team Jan to begin with.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:17 pm

The Dude wrote:According to Shayles' book the women in that cast hated each other. I was always Team Jan to begin with.

The women in that cast mostly hated Victoria Jackson, who, by all accounts, earned their contempt. Dunn and Hooks generally got along, though I think that there was something of a falling out over the circumstances surrounding Dunn's departure.

Anyway, for those unfamiliar with her work, here's a small sampling of Jan Hooks' formidable talents.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Elizabeth Pena passed away at 55.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I am shocked and saddened to hear about Elizabeth Pena. I loved her in Lone Star and I happened to turn over to a recent (to me) Modern Family episode where she was Gloria's mother and she was so great.

Terrible sad news. Aged 55? Ugh!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 pm

WUT? How very sad, she was so young! I have always loved her, I mean I watched I Married Dora!

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top