Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Rock

+3
puddingcup
Kiran
Cutebutpsycho
7 posters

Go down

Chris Rock Empty Chris Rock

Post  puddingcup Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Chris Rock is making the rounds for his new movie, and I've found this interview and article worth reading.

I liked this quote from the essay: "everyone likes to see themselves onscreen, so there are some instances where there's a black audience laughing at something that a white audience wouldn't laugh at because a black audience is really just happy to see itself." It's just a very simple and human case for diversity in film. I relate to it. As an Asian American, I jump any time I see an Asian face on tv or in the movies and hope the appearance is a good one ("good" as in satisfying, not good as in morally upright), because there are so few. In the interview, I laughed when he said that the town he lives in in NJ is "Beverly Hills with freaking snow" because the town is one over from where I live but many, many, many notches higher in real estate prices.

As for his comments on race in Hollywood, they don't seem "blistering" at all, just the opposite - very matter of fact. I didn't know that he had a hand in getting Leslie Jones on SNL, good for him. I suppose his comments on Cosby, Ferguson, and Bush/Obama in the interview could be considered more controversial, but that comes with the territory.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Chris Rock Empty Re: Chris Rock

Post  Cutebutpsycho Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:22 pm

With this round of interviews, he's making me want to see Top Five, and normally he's not that great as an actor in a movie (nor was his hosting SNL good) -- but I think that's because he's a stand-up comedian first and it's hard for him to shake his persona and slide into a role. It's a weakness as an actor, but what makes him such a distinctive and brilliant voice in comedy.

I feel like he says the truth about Hollywood in a really matter-of-fact way that some people get offended by, because he's just not shying away from the topic.

And he's right about how nice it is to see faces that look like yours in media. I'm still pissed that Selfie got cancelled because John Cho as a romantic lead in a sitcom for an Asian American dude was FUCKING MAJOR. I'm hoping that Fresh Off the Boat survives at least. I like seeing faces like mine do stuff that I do in my life.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Top Five is supposed to be amazing.

I love him, and always have. I think his opinions are generally right on. And I think he is the best stand up comedian working right now.

I'm similar too. I'm East Indian and we GET SO EXCITED when we see anyone that looks like us in a non Bollywood movie we freak out. And yes its difficult. I always use the example of Dev Patel, he has a perfectly respectable career and works a lot BUT...he was the lead of a huge movie, that swept the Oscars, was nominated for several awards himself...came pretty close to an Oscar nom, is young, cute, a viable romantic lead....if he was white he would not be the 7th lead of the Newsroom. And so many of these roles DON'T NEED the lead to be white. They could be black, Asian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, etc...I'm still bitter about Star Trek: Into Darkness tbh (are you telling me JJ Abrams can't find Naveen Andrews number from the Lost days at least...I'll stop.)

I echo the frustration over Selfie. There is also the implication that...if a project starring a minority fails "welp, that's the last of that we tried." which is an attitude you don't get with projects starring white people.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:23 pm

Yes, I definitely want to see Top Five. And I agree that Chris Rock is a pretty bad actor, but as long as he brings the good material, it's not a problem for me. And so many other good people in the movie! Gabourey Sidibe in the trailer - so funny. I love Rosario and Gabrielle and Tracy Morgan. Kevin Hart and Cedric the Entertainer look like they're playing the parts they usually play. Plus a ton of other friend comics. It looks like it will be cheesy fun, at the least, and might make some good commentary on fame and race in the process.

As for your points on Dev and Selfie and how minority projects only get one shot - I have thoughts! Didn't we have a Hollywood and Race thread, or Hollywood Diversity or something like that? I'll bring it over there or start a new topic.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:51 pm

but I think that's because he's a stand-up comedian first and it's hard for him to shake his persona and slide into a role.

I thought he was really good in Nurse Betty and I liked him a lot in Two Days in New York, both of which partially accommodated his persona, but also allowed him to create distinct characters.

I love him his stand up, his HBO show, and especially Everybody Hates Chris, that was an example of show that the UPN/CW just kind of abandoned it bugged me, because it was solid in terms of ratings (relative to it's netlet standards) and was critically praised from beginning to end. Plus it introduced me to Terry Crews, I'm glad both he and Tyler James Williams have continued to get good work in the aftermath.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:48 am

Wow. I've never actually read any of Rock's interviews, and all I can say is that he is very astute and direct. He doesn't bullshit or sugarcoat his opinions, and I respect that. What he said about Obama trying to fix everything right when he was inaugurated rather than letting everything fall further into shit just to establish that it was the previous administration's fault was pretty hilarious.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:19 pm

I loved his documentary for his daughters, Good Hair. He should do more.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:04 pm

bookworm wrote:I loved his documentary for his daughters, Good Hair.  He should do more.

He's stated in interviews he's working on another one. I loved Good Hair.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down