The 100

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The 100

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 2:24

Okay, I wasn't going to be the one to start this thread because I just caught up to this show in the last month and feel like a bandwagon jumper, but I need to talk about that midseason finale!

I have so many feelings about this show and these characters and everything. Just, everything about this show. So let's say that I 90% love and respect and admire it.

But that other 10%...Finn was a huge part of my problem with this season so far. Since the massacre, I've felt that the show has been trying to forgive him without ever acknowledging that what he did WAS different, substantially and morally, than the horrors committed by other characters. I still feel that way, and honestly, tonight didn't really change that. But, they DID kill off their lead white male character, after effectively showing that there was no real way to atone or make up for what he did. The other characters continue to make excuses for him, and he continued to act like he "did it for Clarke," when, you know, NO. But he did die.

What makes up the rest of the 10% is their very shaky racial problem, in almost every area of the show. The Grounder situation is already problematic, and then you kill Anya and replace her with a white girl. I hope that Lincoln gets more characterization now and they take a break from torturing him constantly. Monty is far more interesting, heroic, appealing, everything, than Jasper and yet Jasper is their focus. I keep waiting for something that indicates that some of this is intentional in some way. I am more willing to withhold judgment after tonight, but they need to subvert some tropes, and soon, or it will become obvious that they are oblivious to the optics here.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Re: The 100

Post  PirateCatarina on Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 12:24

After marathoning this show (and reading the books, which are...not good, overall), I just finished the midseason finale. I'm not entirely sure why I am so into this show but I totally am. The race issue is a big issue for me, but I do have to say the show is 100% better at diversity than the books are. I'm holding out hope that as the show develops that issue will be worked out. I'm really interested to see where the show goes.

PirateCatarina

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed 9 Dec 2015 - 15:17

So I finally finished catching up with this show, and I really dig what it does with it's female characters, even though Clarke was super SUPER annoying for the first five episodes of S1. Having said that no lie Bellamy and Octavia are what kept me watching as did the introduction of the amazingly cool and smart and badass Raven.

I definitely have issues with the show though, The Grounders, constantly being Aggro as Fuck is tiresome, and I wasn't thrilled with introduction of a mutual adversary who were THE ACTUAL WORST in Mt Weather, especially when most of that plot made no sense in conjunction with IDK...science or political game theory? It's called HONEY I've heard you can catch some flies with that stuff, especially when you have more in common culturally and even politically with denizens of The Ark than you do with Aggro as Fuckers. I had to count how many times people made deals with these duplicitous assholes: okay I'll give you ALL my weapons since you asked so nicely, promise not to betray me!! I loved when Kane told those two guards to go back to Camp Jaha, so that they all didn't die in a foolish gambit, and they were like k bye! Did not have to tell them twice.

But lets be real the only thing I care about is shipping and Bellamy and Clarke are everything, and I'm sorry to say I'm not feeling Lexa-Clarke like AT ALL. That kiss was laughable, with Eliza Taylor grimacing through it. Plus the relationship felt entirely plot driven, not an organically character driven development (which reflects my criticism of S2 overall literally overnight Finn went from good hearted peacenik who could barely countenance Bellamy's morally depraved face to shooting up little kids. Sure. Fine. Whatever).

I'm going to try to look forward to S3 despite Lexa/Clarke being pushed on me like a Fan Duel commerical, but as long as Bellamy is in the mix there too, and that he, Octavia and Raven are still getting good meaty stories, I''m interested to see where they go and how long it will take Bellamy to chase her down and tell her how much everyone NEEDS her in Camp Jaha.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed 9 Dec 2015 - 17:23

I really don't expect to see that much Clarke/Lexa this season, but I haven't read any spoilers or producer interviews, so maybe there's some info out there I'm not aware of. But in general, Jason Rothenberg is very anti-shippers, and his whole thing about it is that if something makes sense to them based on the plot and character arcs, then it happens; if not, then they don't feel any need to artificially advance relationships, or use their development as the basis of their storytelling. So he hates shippers because he misunderstands, basically, and assumes that they only care about Bellarke (lbr) and don't care at all about the rest of the show. When really they just became attached to a dynamic/relationship JR developed, and are disappointed not to see more of it.

But anyway--I guess I don't expect more Clexa because I don't see it making much plot/character sense for them to rekindle what little they had together. It was just too early in the proceedings for such a huge betrayal--there wasn't enough foundation to ever rebuild, IMO. I was kinda into Clexa, but I'd put that ship way below others I find more intriguing. I was into Clarke/Anya and would take Clarke/Raven over both, if I could have my way. Barring that, I do prefer Bellarke, and I'm also into Raven/Wick. Seriously, the only pairing I don't multi-ship are Lincoln and Octavia who have to be together forever, period, the end. I don't know why--because it was so sudden and I'm not always into that--but I am very attached to their relationship. I need them to be a stable force among all this craziness. I know I won't get my way, but there it is.

I'm way more worried about this AI direction that I feel could go very, very wrong.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed 9 Dec 2015 - 22:42

It was just too early in the proceedings for such a huge betrayal--there wasn't enough foundation to ever rebuild

I want to believe that but I did read some stuff that made me think Clarke-Lexa will still be a thing, which to be fair I'm not averse to, I think it made sense for Clarke to look up to and rely on the leadership qualities of Lexa, and I think it's great that the female heroine is bisexual, but I just wish I was more invested in the actual relationship, which as you say didn't have much of foundation before it was shot to hell by Lexa's betrayal.

I will say I enjoyed S2 a great deal, and despite being physically separated for large chunks of it, I felt as though they were as simpatico as ever for the entire season, right up to that big finale moment. Plus she tells him to go right after Lexa says love is a weakness (and she's speaking specifically about romantic love of Finn/Costia), as shipper bait goes that's pretty ripe there Jason! God forbid I suspect romantic feelings when you write something like that.

I don't mind the AI so far, but that's mainly because it continues to screw sanctimonious Thelonius over, and I hope Murphy is still his Greek Chorus/snide peanut gallery. But yeah it could eat up a lot of plot, I was hoping we'd get to the other stations that that came down in the Ark, but I suppose this show has a LOT of avenues it can go down and doesn't wanna burn that one too soon.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu 10 Dec 2015 - 13:02

[quote="blixie"]
I will say I enjoyed S2 a great deal, and despite being physically separated for large chunks of it, I felt as though they were as simpatico as ever for the entire season, right up to that big finale moment. Plus she tells him to go right after Lexa says love is a weakness (and she's speaking specifically about romantic love of Finn/Costia), as shipper bait goes that's pretty ripe there Jason! God forbid I suspect romantic feelings when you write something like that.
Yeah, I try to avoid reading anything JR says these days because I just get mad. Another male writer for the show made similar comments in a podcast last year, too, so it's a shared feeling in the writers' room, I think. And it's frustrating because it's like, you write all of this? You're doing these things intentionally because you want people to get invested in these relationships, and then you get mad when they do like them and want to see more? And people have tried to explain this to him--like, fandom and shipping in general, and he's just 100% dismissive. Other complaints are valid, but anything that even mentions relationships is brushed off. Blech.

But anyway, I actually appreciate the nugget of truth at the center of his condescending arguments--the idea that they write the story they want to write, and if that means development for certain ships, then that's what happens, but they won't force it just because they want to put two people together. That's great. That's my preferred method of storytelling, in fact, because it should also preclude artificial roadblocks. You shouldn't end up with two people with every reason in the world to smash faces, who just...won't. Right?

So, that said, I am kind of disappointed if they are going to try to revisit Clexa because that says the opposite of his stated position, to me. It's not that I didn't expect them to interact again, but romance should be off the table, period. That's not something Clarke would do, I don't think, and I see no point going there unless you're letting relationships guide the story, and heaven forbid!
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sun 6 Mar 2016 - 22:48

So yeah this season has confirmed my every negative expectation, and then gone so far above and beyond how badly you can write a show: Clexa were reunited almost immediately (figuratively if not literally), that was done to service her Tragic Lesbian death, I actually agree that Lexa had to die, but c'mon not in literally the most cliche way possible. And that whole story at Polis with Roan, night bloods, the AI 2.0, has been great, but every single character who is not Lexa has suffered, even Clarke is just passively wafting about in Lexa's glow.

Meanwhile Octavia has become shrill and can't seem to decide if Arkadia and it's people should be saved by Clarke's leadership, or decimated by Indra's vengeance so she just keeps shouting until someone agrees with her, Jasper is drunken whiner, Monty and Bellamy who shared the same "burden" of murdering Mt. Weather as Clarke (if not more in Monty's case), have been given exactly five seconds of PoV all told to another character about how they had it hard but are pulling through except for they are following their Xenophobic mommy and daddy figure to the point of further mass murdering and child killing, Raven has been rendered useless and whiny by her pain even, Lincoln shows up and to make confused faces of torn loyalty between his own people who want to kill him and his new people who want to kill him. Everyone else is in the Matrix, only Kane and Murphy and Abby are still themselves and relatively unscathed.

The Bellamy stuff is so terrible, and I have no expectation it will improve they'll just decide one episode he's really really sorry and like a hero now. I will take it because I'd just like to forget it ever happened.

Someone had a great review of the last episode that could stand in for the this season Objective: great, I guess if all that mattered was executing plots. Subjectively: UGH, if you care about organic character developed story.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  PirateCatarina on Mon 7 Mar 2016 - 10:50

My incredibly conservative parents just got hooked on this show. They're partway through season 2. I can't wait to see if they keep watching past the lesbian scenes. I have spoiled nothing for them.

PirateCatarina

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon 7 Mar 2016 - 10:51

Yeah, a giant BOOOOOOO to everything that's happening this season. I'm three episodes behind (intentionally), so I can't speak to certain nuances (like, as of 304, I still had no problem with Octavia or Lincoln), but what I saw in the first four episodes was disappointing and frustrating on every level. Other people seem(ed) quite happy with the Clarke/Lexa/Polis storyline, but I wasn't at all. Everything moved way, way too quickly. The Ark becoming the 13th tribe, Clarke becoming their official delegate or whatever, the Ice Nation bit. And of course, as I said above--way too optimistically, it turned out--I do not find their reconciliation in character for Clarke, or reasonable from a story/character perspective. Sure, "it" took seven episodes, but Clarke had basically forgiven Lexa by ep 3, certainly by ep 4. That is not nearly enough time. Ultimately, I could have come to understand a forgiveness storyline, even a political allies story, but going back in a romantic direction weakened both characters--and even retroactively their relationship as of S2--for me.

Also I really, really hated the whole "you would have done the same thing, ADMIT IT!!!" angle the show tried to pull, because I thought that was the whole point last season. That Clarke was trying to be more like Lexa and that it just wasn't her. That trying to emulate Lexa and her whole no-emotions-allowed leadership style was a mistake, and that Clarke needed to be true to herself and find her own way to lead. And instead, it's like...Jason Rothenberg and/or the whole writing staff just fell in love with Lexa and forgot all about that. I flat-out don't think Clarke would have betrayed Lexa that way, and if JR does, then I guess I shouldn't be surprised that every character is acting OOC this season.

Anyway. They certainly didn't seem that bothered about the critical beating they were taking over the Bellamy storyline, because they still had their Clexa hooks in people, but now, after last week...they seem to care. Wish it hadn't taken the death of a formerly interesting and complicated character (let alone a lesbian who died immediately post-sex), on top of all the other fuckups everywhere else on the show, but here we are. I'm honestly writing this whole season off, and if they get a fourth, I'll hope they eat a little humble pie and do better. But I feel the exact opposite as I did after last season, when I trusted the writers to hew to character and follow the logical progression of the narrative. That trust is gone, and my expectations are low.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon 7 Mar 2016 - 15:03

Other people seem(ed) quite happy with the Clarke/Lexa/Polis storyline, but I wasn't at all. Everything moved way, way too quickly. The Ark becoming the 13th tribe, Clarke becoming their official delegate or whatever, the Ice Nation bit. And of course, as I said above--way too optimistically, it turned out--I do not find their reconciliation in character for Clarke, or reasonable from a story/character perspective. Sure, "it" took seven episodes, but Clarke had basically forgiven Lexa by ep 3, certainly by ep 4. That is not nearly enough time. Ultimately, I could have come to understand a forgiveness storyline, even a political allies story, but going back in a romantic direction weakened both characters--and even retroactively their relationship as of S2--for me.

Oh yeah I agree with all that, but I still think it was the best of the bad compressed storylines because at least we were SEEING the compression, we didn't even get to see Bellamy and Pike actually kill people that ENTIRE story has happened off screen it's so so bizarre. I'm also incredibly suspicious of what it's like as a work environment now that Ricky Whittle is dragging JR, Bob Morely a bit too,and supposedly
Spoiler:
Adina Porter is leaving
. Like so you are effectively getting rid of/losing a gay and two black people on screen? What is going on? I am in it now for the BTS drama spilling over into the critical smashing they are going to get, OOOOH how they are going to get it with all these promises that Bellamy will not only be redeemed but become a HERO. It's like Sorkin in his Benjamin days.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon 7 Mar 2016 - 15:41

Yeah, we're in agreement about the Polis stuff. It was more that, prior to watching the first four eps, I'd read enough reviews that basically said, "Ugh, there are these really bad storylines, but OTOH, the Polis stuff is up there with the best the show's ever been!" So even though I was already unhappy knowing that Clarke/Lexa were going to be reconciled in it, I was still like, "Okay, well, at least I'll enjoy that part." And then, no. Are there interesting ideas in that storyline? Sure. And some cool stuff--I liked the Lexa/Roan fight scene, in isolation. But in context, it still didn't work for me, and none of it felt organic. So while some people still had something to hold onto for the first seven eps, I basically had nothing left as of 304. By that point, I was still sympathetic to O, Lincoln, Kane and Abby (and Miller and Indra) but they were stuck in shitty stories and don't even get me started on my beloved Raven; and Murphy was bein' Murphy. No one else was recognizable or interesting to me anymore, so, like...

So when it comes to a potential S4, I have to look ahead and say that Lexa is dead, Lincoln is almost surely dead, Indra possibly as well, and Bellamy is certainly ruined as a character, Clarke is damaged for me too, along with who knows how many others by the end of the season? I just don't feel like there's anything left to watch for at this point, for me.

I've disliked showrunners before, but never as much as I hate JR. I'm gratified that, reading between the lines (or not even, in the RW case), it seems pretty obvious that almost everyone involved with that show side-eyes or outright hates him too. Lindsey Morgan made some implications on Twitter too, and that wasn't the first time. I read Javier Grillo-Marxuach's 11 Rules for Showrunners awhile back and suspected that much of it was a result of working with JR (despite his disclaimers), if for no other reason than the timing. JGM is out there, publicly taking and responding to so much heat for this episode, and JR is basically hiding away. What a fucking dick. To be honest, I don't think there was much they could do about the Lexa situation given ADC's other job and I wish fans could be realistic about that. But JR's spent the entire hiatus and first half of the season hyping up Clexa and their fans, knowing this was coming. That's...almost unconscionable, given the politics. It's certainly absurd to turn around and play victim of the mean Internets when you created this mess in the first place.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum