Agent Carter

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Agent Carter

Post  particle_person on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:19 am

Shouldn't she get her own topic? WHY ARE THERE ONLY SEVEN EPISODES/EIGHT HOURS?

I was surprised how much like the movies this episode was, especially in terms of how the characters look and act and so on. After Hannibal, I've gotten to expect crazy departures from whatever the original text was (using text in the general sense here).

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Re: Agent Carter

Post  bookworm on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:29 am

I want her entire wardrobe and lipstick, STAT.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:42 am

I loved it. It was fun, it was dark (the poor roommate) and she kicked so much ass. It was Nikita in the 40s, with a Brit, with awesome lipstick.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:11 am

Also, I really enjoyed her interplay with Jarvis-- which may be partly because I adore James D'Arcy and I was pleasantly surprised at how much he had to do. Also-- I don't know why some actors are more convincing in period pieces than others, but there is something really Forties about Hayley Atwell, and I love the way she sets her jaw and Gets Stuff Done.

Yeah, this is one Marvel property I think I'll really enjoy!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:25 am

It was so, so satifsying. I loved everything about it - the plot, the characters, main and supporting, the set design - (an automat! or at least a semi-automat). I, too, covet her entire wardrobe. Almost makes me wish I cosplayed.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:51 am

I also appreciate that Agent Carter eats pie. Because a super-heroine sometimes needs some pie, ya know?
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:35 pm

I just sort of want to take this show and wrap it up and squeeze it and pet it and never let it go. It's all just so charming, and fun, and wonderful and it makes me resent every Marvel property that neglects women. So, about that Ant-Man preview...

Is there any chance that if these 7 eps do well, they'd produce another series? What if I beg?
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Am I the only one who didn't know this existed?
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:28 pm

I saw it when I ordered Captain America on Amazon. It was one of the extras.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:20 am

Carrie Ann wrote:I just sort of want to take this show and wrap it up and squeeze it and pet it and never let it go. It's all just so charming, and fun, and wonderful and it makes me resent every Marvel property that neglects women. So, about that Ant-Man preview...

Is there any chance that if these 7 eps do well, they'd produce another series? What if I beg?

The producers did an interview in which they said that as far as they were concerned, a second mini-series is definitely on the table.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:42 am

Yay, thank you! I was sort of afraid to go looking too hard for that kind of comment, lest my dreams be shattered.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:54 pm

It's occurred to me that Carter/Jarvis could join Joan/Sherlock and Ichabod/Abbie as my next great platonic OTP. (What do you call an opposite-sex bromance?) Regardless, since men and women being friends is one of my favourite things in media, I am all excited to have so many options.

(I gotta say-- Jarvis's references to his wife made me think of Columbo, and I always believed his wife was imaginary. In this case I'm pretty sure she exists, but it's occurred to me that if I worked for Howard Stark i might make up someone waiting for me at home so I'd have an excuse to extricate myself from at least some of the situations Howard wanted to involve me in. This would go double if I worked for Tony.)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:06 pm

Well, we do hear her come home in the pilot and Jarvis pulls away from the receiver to call out, "I'm on the phone, Anna" or some such.

I believe Columbo had a wife (and we've been binge-watching that the last few weeks) - *we* never see her on their cruise or Mexican vacation but that's a bit extreme to carry out a lie. But anything else that comes out of his mouth is probably questionable.

Also, no way in hell was his wife Kate Mulgrew.

I'm sorry, topic.

Love this show. Only thing I'd change is the radio-keyboard. You can amp up the tense score all you want, guys. It's still just some dude staring at a piece of paper and *huntingandpeckingohmygodthehuntingandpecking* slooooooooowly. Hopefully if No Name Larynectomy Bad Guy died with the dairy truck that'll be the end of it, but if it's standard Leviathan issue spycraft, the next guy will probably have it too.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:19 pm

laddical wrote:Well, we do hear her come home in the pilot and Jarvis pulls away from the receiver to call out, "I'm on the phone, Anna" or some such.

I believe Columbo had a wife (and we've been binge-watching that the last few weeks) - *we* never see her on their cruise or Mexican vacation but that's a bit extreme to carry out a lie. But anything else that comes out of his mouth is probably questionable.

Okay--I missed a couple of minutes here and there, so I did miss that. (Re: Columbo-- I once read an interview with Peter Falk in which he said that he didn't believe Columbo's wife existed-- he thought she was someone he made up because he was lonely. He then added that nobody should take that as gospel, which I appreciated!)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:24 pm

It was a delight from start to finish, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of screen time given to Jarvis (because D'Arcy can certainly do it justice). I loved their interplay and I hope that relationship continues to be a focus.

The capability of Carter reminds me so much of Abbie from Sleepy Hollow: she sees what needs to be done and steps up to do it. Atwell is so good in the role, too. You completely believe in Carter's physicality, that she can arsekick with the best of them. She's pure confidence and intelligence.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:36 pm

Really enjoyed this! And Haley Atwell does a fantastic job. Hope they can keep it up and maybe get a second season. I also covet the gold nightclub dress.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:50 pm

This is everything I have ever wanted in a TV series. Hayley Atwell is fantastic. James D'Arcy has great chemistry with her. Chad Michael Murray did not even bug me as he has on previous shows.

Peggy Carter not only has a great wardrobe but she fights the bad guy on a moving milk truck in heels.

Is it too much to have Peggy Carter Appreciation as a theme for the first Brownie meeting of 2015? And to end Guides with a cheer of "BE MORE LIKE PEGGY!" Asking for a friend.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:55 pm

Love this show. Only thing I'd change is the radio-keyboard. You can amp up the tense score all you want, guys. It's still just some dude staring at a piece of paper and *huntingandpeckingohmygodthehuntingandpecking* slooooooooowly. Hopefully if No Name Larynectomy Bad Guy died with the dairy truck that'll be the end of it, but if it's standard Leviathan issue spycraft, the next guy will probably have it too. wrote:
Not to mention it's cribbed entirely from Fringe. Perhaps I'll choose to consider it an homage.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:36 am

QueenSix wrote:Peggy Carter not only has a great wardrobe but she fights the bad guy on a moving milk truck in heels.
What's the line? "Sure Captain America was great, but don't forget that Peggy Carter did everything he did...backwards and in high heels."

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:08 am

Finally caught this last night. I loved it. I love how annoyed Peggy is with the Captain America radio show - you get the feeling if she were to meet Betty Carver, she'd slap her for being insipid. And that she's smart and capable is just a matter of fact thing.

Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:57 pm

naughty zoot wrote:
Not to mention it's cribbed entirely from Fringe. Perhaps I'll choose to consider it an homage.

Something very similar turned up on a rerun of The Murdoch Mysteries the other night as well.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:44 pm

naughty zoot wrote:

The idea of using it might be cribbed from Fringe, but the device was real. It is a radio teletype machine. The version on the program looks smaller and more compact than the pictures I've found of them online, but it's recognizably the same thing.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Seeing that typewriter reminded me of how I learnt to type on a manual typewriter and my little finger began to ache with the memory. I used to find it very hard to hammer down on the appropriate key with that finger, you see, and my typing teacher would do her nut when she'd catch me using my other finger. She was old school and hard core but I am now a touch typist extraordinaire.

Which has nothing much to do with Agent Carter except that if I ever get whisked back to the 1940's, I will be able to get an office job.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:32 am

naughty zoot wrote:

I was trying to remember where I'd seen that before. Thank you.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:36 am

punzy wrote:Really enjoyed this! And Haley Atwell does a fantastic job. Hope they can keep it up and maybe get a second season. I also covet the gold nightclub dress.  

I adore that Peggy can take care of herself, investigate a mystery, and incapacitate the bad guys while wearing a dress like that. And taking out the guy with the stapler made me a Woo Girl for Peggy's badassery.

This show was AWESOME. The sets, the clothes, and the rapid-fire dialogue was great. I loved Jarvis' insistence in helping out. Although, really, Howard, don't you have an awesome bodyguard/detective you could have lent Peggy?

The ongoing gag of the Captain America radio show made me smile. "I'm so lucky to have a big strong man like Captain America to save me!" Betty Carver (excuse me, the men who are writing Betty Carver), Peggy Carter would like you to have a big glass of Shut The Fuck Up.

Does anyone know what version of "Love That Man" was playing in the beginning?

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top