Agent Carter

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Agent Carter

Post  maxell131313 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:17 pm

BrightEyes wrote:

Does anyone know what version of "Love That Man" was playing in the beginning?

It's by Caro Emerald. I found it on iTunes.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:54 pm

So.

Dotty's a spy, right? A ballerina? Please.

Or is she a fake-out and Angie's a spy?

ORRRRRRR... are they both spies and one is working for Leviathan and the other is working for the Soviet answer to SSR?

Would that be the Red Room Academy?

Are we getting the "secret origin" of Black Widow on this show? Or at least something that echoes into the apparent Black Widow flashbacks we've seen in the Age of Ultron trailers?

OHMYGODILOVEIT.

I really love it when Peggy gets to be all hypercompetent and superbadass.

But I also really enjoyed squirming a bit when everything she did last night just made things worse for herself.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:34 am

I've heard that the ratings for this show are a little disappointing, which bums me out. I love it SO much.

Am I the only one who didn't realize that Peggy's friend who works at the diner was the daughter in How I Met Your Mother?
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Ugh I realized that what this mini series recalls most for me is Elmore Leonard's early aught's Karen Sisco, which also struggled in the ratings. 'murica you've come so far, so fast!

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:31 pm

Shalamar wrote:I've heard that the ratings for this show are a little disappointing, which bums me out.  I love it SO much.

Am I the only one who didn't realize that Peggy's friend who works at the diner was the daughter in How I Met Your Mother?

It's even more fun if you pretend Lyndsy Fonseca is actually Alexandra Udinov, super spy from Nikita, who is on a undercover mission in the past.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  CocoaGoddess on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:54 pm

Shalamar wrote:I've heard that the ratings for this show are a little disappointing, which bums me out.  I love it SO much.

It scares me, quite honestly. I mean, so far this show is just brilliant and it makes me sad to consider the reasons why the tv viewing audiences might not be in to it. I don't want to jump straight to sexism but .... it just seems like action/adventure shows with female leads who are fully clothed and not throwing themselves at men (Fringe, for example) don't typically sell well, and Agent Carter seems to be following that trend.

I am not a Marvel Universe fan at all, save for sometimes Hulk and the Captain America franchises, but ABC and Marvel are hitting all of the right spots with Agent Carter, and I want to see this show WIN.

Hayley Atwell is an amazing talent, omg. Why couldn't DC find someone this great and charismatic to play Wonder Woman? Ugh ...

CocoaGoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm

I'd be willing to bet money that there are people out there kvetching that Hayley Atwell isn't conventionally pretty like, say, the actress who plays Skye in Agents of Shield.   (Personally, I think both women are drop-dead gorgeous, but that's neither here nor there.)  I'm remembering when The Mindy Project first aired, and some numbskull on TWoP grumbled that he found her weight "distracting".

Last edited by Shalamar on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Well, I sure do find her distracting, and I'm definitely not complaining.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:18 pm

In the comments section on an article about the second week drop off in ratings, one commentor asked what ABC expected, scheduling a period show with dull colors and grandma clothing starring a plain jane actress.

If someone had said this in one of our roundtable discussions at the comic shop I used to work at, I would have reached over and slapped them up the back of the head.

Hayley Atwell is gorgeous. Moreso as Agent Carter, I think, because of the "fancy" clothes (that blue suit and red hat OMG) and period make-up, but even outside of the role I don't think I could understand anyone calling her "plain jane".

I will give them "grandma" as a descriptor for shoes, though. There have been a few pairs of shoes that Peggy has worn that may be more comfortable than heels but are as unforgivably ugly as anything my grandmother wore. I'm thinking specifically of the pair she wore on the docks as Howard motored off in his boat.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:08 pm

"Grandma clothes"??? Oy vey.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:55 am

Hayley Atwell is flat out beautiful, and never moreso than as Agent Carter. That's my 2 cents' worth.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:56 am

I can't be the only person who, at a crucial moment in last night's episode, was thinking, "Deck him, Peggy!" and then she did.

Also, at that one very late bit of character revelation I really wished I could remember who had called it here on Snarkfest. And it was kind of nice to see Chad Michael Murray's character demonstrating that he's actually kind of good at his job. It's no fun if the adversaries are all idiots. I still want Peggy to hit him, too.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:17 pm

Also, at that one very late bit of character revelation I really wished I could remember who had called it here on Snarkfest. wrote:
Hail, laddical!
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:17 pm

Yay!

Her move jumping up at that guy's head was such a Black Widow ref. Looked very nearly like the way she took out the Chitauri on the sled and tried to take down the Winter Soldier.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:24 pm

laddical wrote:Yay!

Her move jumping up at that guy's head was such a Black Widow ref. Looked very nearly like the way she took out the Chitauri on the sled and tried to take down the Winter Soldier.
Plus, when she took down Happy in Iron Man 2.
Spoiler:
Between that, and the preview for next week ("I'm going to Russia" and the flipping, stabbing little girl, are we about to see some Black Widow trainees in the Red Room??)

I'm so happy that Howard and Peggy had that confrontation. Peggy has had just about enough of men using her for their own interests. I like Howard, he's a complicated character and fun to watch. There needs to be some bridge between the flirty, quippy guy he is to the disengaged, aloof father that Tony remembers.

In Captain America 2, we see the wall photos of SHIELD's founders: Howard, Peggy, and Colonel Phillips. Interesting that they never talk about him, even if they can't get Tommy Lee Jones for the TV show.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:20 pm

I may be 'shipping Peggy with Jack Thompson. Please send help.

He would have to get substantially less douchey, but I do like a character arc.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:50 pm

This week's episode was very annoying as it seems like they decided Jack/Peggy was the end game when I was *sure* it was going to be Daniel/Peggy. Daniel has his own period-correct blindspots where Peggy is concerned, but he's a whole lot less Asshole to start out.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:40 pm

Yeah, I am not sold on Thompson at all. That tactic--huge, bigoted asshole reveals soft underbelly--has worked on me once, I think? And that was Logan Echolls, who had three things going for him: 1) he was a teenager, and an abused teenager at that; 2) searing chemistry with his costar; and 3) Jason Dohring. CMM, you are no Jason Dohring. And I'm not feeling any particular chemistry between him and Hayley Atwell.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

temp

Post  laddical on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:45 pm

Also, revealing that he shot six Japanese soldiers carrying a white flag because he didn't realize they were carrying a white flag... that doesn't make him sympathetic to me. I understand why Peggy, who has SEEN SOME SHIT LET ME TELL YOU, would hold off being judgmental of his revelation but I honestly don't see it making her feel any warmer to him, especially after that bullshit speech he gave last week when she ducked into the interrogation room he was in.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:02 am

laddical wrote:Also, revealing that he shot six Japanese soldiers carrying a white flag because he didn't realize they were carrying a white flag... that doesn't make him sympathetic to me. I understand why Peggy, who has SEEN SOME SHIT LET ME TELL YOU, would hold off being judgmental of his revelation but I honestly don't see it making her feel any warmer to him, especially after that bullshit speech he gave last week when she ducked into the interrogation room he was in.

I just cannot for the life of me see the woman who fell for Steve Rogers when he was still a scrappy little guy ever warming up to a coward and a war criminal. Like, Thompson is the anti-Steve. Bleh.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:17 am

He really is! That is an excellent point.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:
laddical wrote:Also, revealing that he shot six Japanese soldiers carrying a white flag because he didn't realize they were carrying a white flag... that doesn't make him sympathetic to me. I understand why Peggy, who has SEEN SOME SHIT LET ME TELL YOU, would hold off being judgmental of his revelation but I honestly don't see it making her feel any warmer to him, especially after that bullshit speech he gave last week when she ducked into the interrogation room he was in.

I just cannot for the life of me see the woman who fell for Steve Rogers when he was still a scrappy little guy ever warming up to a coward and a war criminal. Like, Thompson is the anti-Steve. Bleh.

I would go easier on him for the Lack of Moral Fibre (as the RAF used to say) than the (accidental, but still) war criminal part (especially the bit about burying the flag-- "the anti-Steve" is right.) I agree that I can see Peggy declining to judge, but I'm with everyone else who doesn't like him any better in the wake of these revelations. I'm starting to be very afraid Carter/Thompson is some kind of end game, and that would piss me right off.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:43 pm

Can I just say how awesome it was to see Peggy back amongst the Howling Commandos who treat her with respect! I love the rapport between her and Dugan and how shocked the SSR guys seemed with how bad-ass she is.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:18 pm

I totally bought the lipstick and nail polish used on the show.

I do like that the men who are sexist are also competent and multi-faceted. The boss and One Tree Hill are both sexist, but their sexism is based somewhat in their reality of the day? That makes it less mustache-twirly, and more realistic (as much as a comic book show can be realistic). That makes the character growth seem more organic and less "oh, I've been a total douche the whole time! I've seen the light!"
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Coneycat wrote:... I'm starting to be very afraid Carter/Thompson is some kind of end game, and that would piss me right off.

I wouldn't worry too much about that actually happening. In Winter Solider Peggy says Captain America saved the man who would become her husband. Which Thompson is unlikely to qualify for if he was stationed in China/Japan.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top