Agent Carter

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Agent Carter

Post  bookworm on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:32 pm

I was thinking that it would be Carter/Sousa, personally. He seems the most like pre-Captain America Steve.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:58 am

Sousa was my guess as well, if she's supposed to end up with anyone currently on the show, since, as laddical said, he's the least asshole-y. I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I basically wouldn't wish Chad Michael Murray on anyone, especially not someone as awesome as Peggy. I have no idea how the ratings are or if we'll ever get more episodes, but if all we get are these eight, I'm totally fine with her not ending up with any of these guys. I like Sousa a lot, but Peggy's got a lot of ass to kick before she settles down with anybody. I can't even begin to think how a girl moves on from Chris Evans/Captain America, anyway.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Gillian wrote: Peggy's got a lot of ass to kick before she settles down with anybody.  

This right here.

But then, I am the Anti-Shipper.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:31 am

This show is SO GOOD! I had high hopes, I had high expectations, but I never thought they would actually meet/exceed them. I need more episodes beyond these original eight.

I still hope Peggy/Thompson never happens, and my reasons are twofold. One, I still think he's an asshole. Two, I sort of ship him with Angie? She doesn't deserve an asshole, either, but that Gam-Gam moment was a total delight.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:18 am

Gillian wrote:I still hope Peggy/Thompson never happens, and my reasons are twofold.  One, I still think he's an asshole.  Two, I sort of ship him with Angie?  She doesn't deserve an asshole, either, but that Gam-Gam moment was a total delight.
OMG, same. That came out of nowhere, but with that one tiny moment, I was sold. And I hate CMM! But he was so cute there. And I don't think I'd ever feel that way about him with Peggy, so keep her away from him, please.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:34 am

I was a little disappointed in last week's episode. I had my reasons: I'm not super-interested in unpacking Marvel mythology and I was sick to death of EEEEEEvil Russians in media long before the Cold War ended... but I eventually realized what I really meant was, "I tune in for the Peggy and Jarvis Adventure Hour! Where are my Peggy and Jarvis adventures!"

So imagine how pleased I was at last night's episode, which had just about enough of what I really want from this show.

Spoiler cut just in case?:

Although I confess there was one moment that should have been tense, and all I could think of was this scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:17 pm

"We're still attached to a table."

Why does this show have to leave me? Isn't it enough we're saying good-bye to Parks & Recreation next week? At least that show we got to spend some time with!

Hopefully the digital viewership has been high enough that they might consider asking Netflix to run another season. I'm still not sure how they could make money on Netflix and not on ABC - Netflix's business model has confused me ever since House of Cards started - but I have to believe that there are more people like me watching the show on Hulu and iTunes than the anemic next day Nielsens would indicate.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:36 pm

I liked the episode, and was genuinely sad when the chief bought the farm. I was disappointed in Sousa not going to Peggy first and asking her to explain before running to the boss. Kick him to the curb Peggy! I did like the continuity of Johnson being unsure of Peggy's "crimes" because of their interaction in Russia. They didn't have him conveniently forget that she's badass and loyal. I did face palm with them automatically believing Peggy was evil, but at least they didn't ignore her when she came clean about her parallel investigation. Haylee Atwell knocked that scene out of the park.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:31 pm

laddical wrote:Why does this show have to leave me? Isn't it enough we're saying good-bye to Parks & Recreation next week? At least that show we got to spend some time with!
When I realized that both this show and Parks & Rec are both ending on the same night, I got genuinely sad.  I watch a lot of TV, but these are the only two shows I make any effort to watch on the day they actually air.  They are bright spots in my work week, and it's just mean to snatch them both away from me on the same damn day.

My initial reaction was to be disappointed in Sousa for being so bitchy to Peggy, but after a while I was into it.  I can't remember how long these people are supposed to have known each other, but he really doesn't know her very well.  I'm not sure I see the whole "put on a pedestal" thing Peggy called him out on, but he definitely created his own version of Peggy in his head, and I'm sure that version was super positive because A. He has a crush on her, B. They're both underestimated by their peers on a regular basis, and C. Peggy's so distant with everybody that people basically have to fill in the blanks on their own.  It made sense that he'd feel incredibly betrayed and react accordingly, and he came around soon enough.  I'm not necessarily committed to the idea of him being Mr. Carter.  I'd be cool with it because I like him, but the way Peggy was looking at Steve's blood, no way is anybody getting with that anytime soon.  I just want him to not be evil and stay on the show if we get another season.  I really like the actor who plays him.  He doesn't get a ton to do, but he puts forth a lot of effort and gives quality facial expressions.  I also like the buddy cop thing he and Thompson are starting up.  If we get more episodes, I think Sousa's going to be the one who helps me get over the Chad Michael Murray-ness of Thompson. I'm already liking Thompson a lot more, and a lot of it had to to with that "Crutch faster!" line last week.

I 100% loved how everything with Jarvis played out.  The transition from authoritative bad-ass, "Here's your deus ex machina, everybody!" to "Shit, girl, I panicked!  I have no idea what to do!" was so great.  Peggy and Jarvis are so delightful.  Please stay BFFs who never ever hook up.

And finally, I noticed the ABC announcer called next week's episode the season finale, not series finale.  I know it probably doesn't mean anything, but it's something to cling to.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:44 pm

I wonder if there was any thought given to Daniel Sousa's last name being the same as uber-patriotic-music-writer John Phillip Sousa. Would it be too on the nose for Peggy to move from Captain America to a guy whose last name reminds you of "The Stars & Stripes Forever"?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:55 pm

I really hope that if ABC decides it has no interest in continuing Agent Carter that Netflix picks it up. I don't think that's an all that out there idea since Marvel and Netflix already have a deal in place to air a whole bunch of shows, the first of which is Daredevil. I would really hate to see the show to only get one season because it's such a delight. I admittedly didn't start watching it until about half way through the series, but based on the good word of mouth, I decided to check it out. The only reason I wasn't watching from the beginning was because I tried watching Agents of SHIELD and after a couple of episodes I wasn't very invested the characters, so I wasn't sure if I would like this one.

Anyway, I think Marvel would be stupid to not find another outlet for this show. Everyone that I know that has watched it has enjoyed it, particularly women. I know I relate a LOT to Peggy because even though this show is set 70 years ago, I work in a male dominated work place, and sadly, not all that much has changed.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:42 am

I really enjoyed that finale-- fights that looked like they really hurt, Sousa getting to shine a little, those heartfelt moments between Peggy and Howard and Peggy and Edwin, the final scene in the office and with Angie, and the scene on the Brooklyn Bridge... such fun. Also, I got something in my eye a couple of times.

I could have used some more fighter plane footage, but I can always use more fighter plane footage.

Wasn't crazy about the coda at the end but I'm sure it served its intended audience well. Otherwise, I thought this was really good and I hope they do produce another series of Peggy's adventures. With Jarvis as her sidekick, because those two are so great together.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:20 pm

I enjoyed the finale too, though I felt a few moments were a little forced. And in general, I felt like the dialogue wasn't as snappy as it was in most of the other episodes. Just a lot of cliches and clumsy exposition. It was sort of odd.

Dottie surviving and escaping was fine, though predictable, but the line about "I have a feeling we'll be seeing her again"--blech.

I didn't understand why they basically re-played that Sousa/Peggy scene from the premiere again at the end (other than to tie a bow on it) when it sort of demonstrated no change? Sousa still wanted to go after Thompson to defend Peggy; Peggy still didn't want him to and said she didn't need it. OK?

I was also a little confused by the direction of the Jarvis/Peggy scene. I know that pairing has some shippers, but I personally don't see anything romantic in their interactions at all, and I don't think they're being written that way? So was that awkwardness just supposed to reflect two repressed Brits trying to communicate their (platonic) love for each other and desire to keep their partnership going? That's how I'm going to choose to read it for the time being. Also, Angie and Peggy living together in that big house--YES. More Angie, please.

The Senator coming in at the end to congratulate Thompson was also written clumsily BUT I was pleasantly surprised that Thompson went ahead and accepted all the credit, because while I warmed to The Chad over the course of these episodes, I would like that character to stay antagonistic at least a little while longer.

It was nice to spend so much time on Peggy (and Howard) and their feelings about Steve. I think it was important for the show (and the canon) to take this time for Peggy to still be in mourning, but then let her let go of Steve in the end. Now, please, please, let us have another season.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:51 pm

I could have used some more fighter plane footage, but I can always use more fighter plane footage.
You and my husband both. He got so excited by Howard's 'toys'. He was very indignant at the suggestion that the plane Jarvis piloted could catch up with Howard's Corsair.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:41 pm

I loved the coda because it was the only time this show aggressively went after its connection to the wider MCU. Having Zola and Faustus chit-chat connected this series directly to the brainwashing practiced by Hydra in Agents of SHIELD that was referred to briefly once as "The Faustus Method".

Glad Angie will be sticking around if we get more.

The Dottie/Peggy fight was exactly what I wanted from those two.

I was actually a little surprised that the senator wasn't named Ward. I feel like they missed an opportunity there.

If I have one nitpick/disappointment with this series, it's that it doesn't mesh well with the Marvel One-Shot that was on the Iron Man 3 extras. There were snippets of it in the montage in the first episode, which seems to place this after the One-Shot, but since the One-Shot ends with Howard calling Peggy down to Washington to start SHIELD... I don't know. Best I can guess is that when Howard's reputation started getting questionable, SHIELD was tabled and Peggy was sent back to the New York field office and now that Howard's cleared it'll take a while to convince people to give it another shot. I just kind of wish that had been addressed a little more clearly.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:41 pm

I already needed another season, but now that Peggy and Angie are roommates at Casa Stark (one of many), I REALLY REALLY need another season.

The Peggy/Howard/Steve stuff made me really emotional, as did Jarvis.  I buy into Carrie Ann's reading of the final Peggy/Jarvis scene.  I think they are great, but I see nothing romantic there, and I don't really want there to ever be.  They were brought together by their love for/loyalty to Howard, now they love and are loyal to each other, and it was nice that they could just take a moment and (kind of awkwardly) acknowledge that.

I'm glad they made no moves on the Future Mr. Carter front, but Hayley's face was so freaking radiant after Sousa asked her out for that drink.  I hope this show gets a decent run, and I hope whoever they end up going with romantically is worthy of her.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 am

Also an Anti-Shipper. Organic and character-driven please. Carter will sort out her own relationships, theng queue. (And Jarvis is a married man, harrumph.)

So I am appalled to realize somewhere in my hopes for a further series (limited seems to work very well) that I am hoping that Angie will deign to take on Thompson, and we'll see a steady and period-appropriate beat down renovation that will rival Carter vs Dottie, except ending with a wedding instead of a broken window.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:04 am

I agree that limited works very well-- I like the idea of a small number of episodes with a self-contained arc, it seems like that would really help keep the story on track. And yeah, Peggy and Angie at Casa Stark!

I agree with Carrie Ann and Gillian that the final scene between Peggy and Jarvis represented a declaration of repressed, platonic love and theirs is a friend-ship I can get behind. I really want to see them work together again.

And I think I'll dig my copy of Captain America: The First Avenger out of the storage room (where all my books and DVDs are waiting for those shelves I keep promising them) and watch it this weekend. I'm being reminded of how much I loved that one!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu May 07, 2015 11:48 pm

Season 2! Hooray! Revels! Maybe Peggy kicking misogynists in the face.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu May 07, 2015 11:54 pm

punzy wrote:Season 2! Hooray! Revels! Maybe Peggy kicking misogynists in the face.  

Time Travel episode? Peggy teams up with Agent May?
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Fri May 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Yay!!

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri May 08, 2015 5:22 pm

Only if she kicks blondie's butt. Didn't Proto Black Widow not die in the season finale? I hope she comes back.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Fri May 08, 2015 7:08 pm

This makes me so happy. I enjoyed the first season a heck of a lot more than Age of Ultron.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Who is watching this season? I love Peggy and Jarvis' witty repartee, and I want to smack One Tree Hill guy. Who else thinks that Sousa's paramour is a Hydra agent/evil? I also hope that Hot Physicist is just languishing in another dimension, and will return at some point.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:42 pm

bookworm wrote:Who is watching this season?  I love Peggy and Jarvis' witty repartee, and I want to smack One Tree Hill guy.  Who else thinks that Sousa's paramour is a Hydra agent/evil?  I also hope that Hot Physicist is just languishing in another dimension, and will return at some point.  

I'm in, and delighted to meet Ana Jarvis this season-- she and Jarvis are so cute, and I love Peggy having another girlfriend to talk to in the new location.

Sousa's beloved is so cute she's got to be either marked for death or Hydra (or both) so I am rooting for Hydra (or some variant of Eeeeevil.) I was kind of delighted when Sousa and Carter played the "bat your eyes at the receptionist so the operative can sneak into the restricted area" game, with Sousa doing the eye-batting. That was clearly not the first time he's done that!

Hot Physicist must return. I feel like checking IMDB to see if he's in more episodes, but I don't want to get my hopes up in case he returns as a zombie or something.

Also, Jarvis trying to be a badass like Peggy is adorable. Doomed to failure, but adorable.

One Tree Hill guy gets on my nerves, too, so I was glad to see Dottie remind him he's no Peggy Carter.

I really need to get over to Amazon and buy that Season One DVD. I'm so glad this show is around to help with the midwinter blahs!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top