Oscars 2015

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oscars 2015

Post  Agent Sculder on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:08 am

whatthedeuce wrote:Yeah, I get the feeling that Birdman would speak to the academy's members, but just from what little I've seen of it, it seems a bit pretentious and bizarre more than anything else.

The Academy likes to award movies about artists and/ or struggle, and since Birdman is about both, I think that helped it a LOT. I'm guessing the actors branch voted for it in a big way, particularly because it had a lot of big, showy performances in it. I think they're the biggest group of Academy voters.

I just saw somewhere that apparently Michael Keaton is gutted he didn't win. I have a feeling he figured after Birdman won best original screenplay (which was something of a surprise) that the movie was going to sweep the remaining categories it was nominated in. Poor guy.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:11 am

And it probably would have if Eddie Redmayne hadn't played Stephen Hawking this year.

I liked his performance, and it must have been tough to get it right, but I dunno. I feel like that performance was exactly the kind of thing Robert Downey, Jr.'s character was on about in Tropic Thunder re: full "retard".
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:05 am

I'm actually glad Eddie Redmayne won. I thought his performance was wonderful, especially given that a lot of it was without dialogue. I saw all eight films this year, and my pick to win was Whiplash, but since I knew it had little chance to win, I wanted The Grand Budapest Hotel because it was great from start to finish - the script, the production values, the acting, everything. I just loved it.

I did not care for Birdman. I didn't hate it, but I think it was trying way too hard to make a Statement About Art and I found it a little annoying by the end.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:21 am

I'm really looking forward to watching all the Best Picture contenders during my upcoming spring break. With the exception of Birdman, the contenders are films I'd been hoping to catch in theaters but just never got around to because of classes and a general lack of money. Whiplash and Selma look incredible, and I've put off seeing The Theory of Everything for too long.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:53 am

I've seen three of the Best Picture nominees this year - Birdman, Selma, and Whiplash - and loved all three of them, so I would've been happy with any of them winning.

I like Eddie Redmayne as an actor and he seems like a lovely person, and anyone who can make me give a shit about Marius in Les Miserables is going to get kudos from me, but I am so 100% over awards being thrown at able-bodied and/or neurotypical actors for playing Inspiring Cripple roles. And now he's playing a trans woman in his next project? Meh.

I feel like NPH saved most of his best material for his Tonys hosting gigs, but I did like his Birdman/Whiplash parody and the "Edward Snowden couldn't be here for some treason" joke.

I was really moved by all of the speeches honoring victims of suicide and anyone who might be contemplating it. I was rooting for Whiplash to win the original screenplay award, but now I'm happy it went to Imitation Game just for the screenwriter's speech alone.

I was all set to be annoyed that Robin Williams didn't get his own tribute (although I'm also kind of glad he didn't because I don't think I would've been able to emotionally handle it), but then they left out Joan Rivers entirely, and a world of no to that.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:57 am

I was stunned that Michael Keaton didn't win. Not that I don't think Eddie deserved it - his performance was incredible - but so was Keaton's, and he's been around a lot longer.

Any thoughts on NPH's hosting? I love the guy, and I thought he did a good job.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:59 pm

The longer the telecast went on and Birdman kept scooping up awards, I really got the feeling that Keaton would win. It must be so disappointing to be close to such a huge award and lose out even to another fantastic actor.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:02 pm

When he put his predictions in the box I was all "I SMELL MAGIC TRICK."
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:05 pm

I love that he kept bugging Octavia Spencer to keep her eye on the box. And then when he asked Robert Duvall to make sure Octavia was doing her job, he looked like his pulse had maybe stopped. When asked after the show about how he liked NPH as host, his response was "He was alright." Duvall keeps it real, y'all.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:39 pm

bookworm wrote:When he put his predictions in the box I was all "I SMELL MAGIC TRICK."

That's exactly what I said to those around me because everyone seemed puzzled at this gimmick. i was convinced that's where it was going.

So many people seem to think NPH was horrible. I thought he did a perfectly okay, if not fantastic, job.

The thing that puzzled me and my group were the strange music cues to introduce presenters. It was different musical scores that had nothing to do with the presenters or the movies nominated.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:48 pm

I was really disappointed with the "In Memoriam" segment. Not to be morbid, but I thought I'd be in floods of tears by the end - instead, I was all "meh". I wish they'd kept their old format of showing a brief, slow-mo clip of each person, instead of the single portrait. And good call on Joan Rivers! I knew that they'd missed at least one person, but I couldn't put my finger on who.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:17 pm

I think the show was sort of beautifully staged, and classy, but hollow, and everything that worked about last nights show was in SPITE of the writers, producers and yes the host.

Those things would be Gaga, Glory, and the heartfelt speeches that proved how very personal the political is, and how great art can capture that intersection.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Was Philip Seymour Hoffman in last year's In Memoriam? If not, then I somehow missed his inclusion this year.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:41 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Was Philip Seymour Hoffman in last year's In Memoriam? If not, then I somehow missed his inclusion this year.

I was looking for him as well, I was trying to guess who would be last, him or Robin Williams (neither, as it turned out, they mixed Robin into the middle and PSH wasn't there.) I looked it up and he passed away in early February last year, so he must have been in last year's reel.

I was really disappointed with the "In Memoriam" segment. Not to be morbid, but I thought I'd be in floods of tears by the end - instead, I was all "meh". I wish they'd kept their old format of showing a brief, slow-mo clip of each person, instead of the single portrait.

I also found the In Memoriam segment strangely flat and unmoving. The inclusion of the artsy portraits rather than moving clips or candid photos contributed, I think. Made them seem like characters instead of people.

So many people seem to think NPH was horrible. I thought he did a perfectly okay, if not fantastic, job.

I thought he was pretty good. His first number was probably my favorite part, but I thought he did a nice job overall. He seemed to do a bit of editorializing here and there but it was pretty low-key (like his introduction of Jennifer Aniston and the actor who played MLK, when he said "these two definitely deserve to be here tonight").

Anybody else think Oprah totally misread his (admittedly not all that funny) joke about American Sniper's box office intake? He did a wide sweep of half of the room and then singled out just Oprah on the other half and I could swear she took it as a fat joke at first.

The thing that puzzled me and my group were the strange music cues to introduce presenters. It was different musical scores that had nothing to do with the presenters or the movies nominated.

The musical choices were very odd, but I enjoyed playing a competitive round of Name that Tune with my show-watching partner throughout the broadcast. The fact that the music had absolutely zero to do with both presenters and movies made it that much more of a challenge. ;)

As far as the winners go, I realized early on that I had managed to see exactly none of the nominated movies so I was just rooting for people at random. In that vein, I was a little disappointed that Michael Keaton lost simply because I found him and his jangly, gum-chewing energy endearing and he seemed to want it so badly.

But again, not having seen his performance or any others, I can't make a call on whether I think he was robbed.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 pm

In re: the in memorium segment, I don't have an opinion about how they presented it, but I was struck by just how many big names passed away this past year, and in general just how large the list was. I wonder if that might have played into how they presented it this time, because it certainly seemed like a lot more names than usual.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:06 pm

I could swear she took it as a fat joke at first.

I'm pretty sure she did, hence his hasty "'Cause you're RICH" comment.

Speaking of NPH, his "takes a lot of balls to wear a dress like that" was funny, but woefully mis-timed, considering that the lady in question had just finished saying that her son committed suicide.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:18 pm

I forgot to mention, Lady Gaga was absolutely fantastic. I did sort of know she was talented, but moreso in a "she's very creative and an excellent show-person" kind of way - I had no idea she was such a technically excellent singer as well.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Gaga was amazing last night, and I love how tickled Julie Andrews was by her performance! Lady Gaga has incredible range and totally sounded like a completely different singer last night. I'm a big fan, and yet if I'd had my back turned and hadn't heard her introduced, I wouldn't have known who was performing.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:41 pm

I liked Birdman a lot but I wouldn't give it best screenplay (or best picture) because that movie was about the acting and the directing not about the script. I loved Whiplash and adore JK Simmons but I almost wish it were a tie because Edward Norton was the performance in Birdman that blew me away, I think it's because in the last few years I have only seen him in Wes Anderson movies in which he is great and fits in well in Wes Anderson's worlds but they are a very specific kind of performances and in Birdman he reminded me how he can command a screen and why he used to be one of my favorite actors.

I was fine that they didn't show clips in the In Memorium, it's another way that they single out people like the applause, who gets a clip, how long is the clip, etc. I liked the egalitarian nature of just pics though I wasn't crazy about the actual execution.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 pm

I know many have complained about Joan Rivers missing from the "In Memoriam" sequence, but I am pretty sure that's because she was not a member of the Academy. At least, that's what tends to be the answer when someone famous is left out.

This year, I was surprised that Louis Jourdan made it. He passed away not long ago, and I figured he would not make the "list". I did think it was a nice touch having Meryl Streep handle the presenting duties. She's got the gravitas to pull it off, and since she's been in the business for a long time, you know she knew some of the people.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:23 pm

No one really knows what the crtieria are for inclusion in the montage, other than the actual committee that makes the decision, but membership in the Academy doesn't seem to play a part. The article I linked to points out that the actress who played Vampira in "Plan 9 From Outer Space" was included the year she died. I suspect she was not a member of the Academy.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:39 pm

naughty zoot wrote:No one really knows what the crtieria are for inclusion in the montage, other than the actual committee that makes the decision, but membership in the Academy doesn't seem to play a part. The article I linked to points out that the actress who played Vampira in "Plan 9 From Outer Space" was included the year she died. I suspect she was not a member of the Academy.
Shows how much you know. Plan 9 From Outer Space is the Citizen Kane of movies no one's heard of.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 am

whatthedeuce wrote:
naughty zoot wrote:No one really knows what the crtieria are for inclusion in the montage, other than the actual committee that makes the decision, but membership in the Academy doesn't seem to play a part. The article I linked to points out that the actress who played Vampira in "Plan 9 From Outer Space" was included the year she died. I suspect she was not a member of the Academy.
Shows how much you know. Plan 9 From Outer Space is the Citizen Kane of movies no one's heard of.

Except that everyone's heard of it.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:36 am

It is the crowning jewel of '50s cinema. I hope the studios don't go concocting a remake. It just wouldn't stand up to the impeccable original.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:28 pm

I gotta disagree about most of [b]Birdman[b]'s success going down to the directing and acting vs. the writing. That script was great and just as important to the impact of the movie as the directing and acting. I am surprised it won, though. The Original Screenplay is often the place where they throw lighthearted comedies a bone, or it's often the "You're not gonna win Best Picture, so, here you go" award.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top