What Are You Watching

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Bad Username on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:05 am

I caught the first episode of Poldark, and loved it. I hadn't heard of it before it was mentioned here, but I'm glad I did. I really love stories where the main character/s have to build themselves up from nothing. It made me laugh a couple of times how sanguine he was about his situation in front of others - particularly the scene in the pub where George said it would be easy to forget he was a gentleman, and Ross replied that it takes one to know one. He's secure in his station, and he has that if nothing else. I'm really interested in watching the rest, but since I'm on a rotating shift roster I'm going to start working Sunday nights soon and will miss it. First world problems, I know. I'm sure I can access it digitally somehow (legally!).

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:45 pm

I've finally gotten around to watching "The Wire" and lo! who appears in season 3 but Petyr Baelish himself. Aidan Gillen is just the cutest little boyish thing in this and he's supposed to be a scheming politician, I guess, but compared to Littlefinger he's as scheming as Ser Pounce. Too adorable.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 pm

I am (re)watching Miami Vice. So much Miami Vice, and I still LOVE it, every deliciously 80's minute! Seriously though it holds up surprising well (DJ and PMH are both still damn good and good to look at in their younger years). Also fun to realize that MV is more diverse in 1984 than most of network television is today.

And I though the X-Files had a lot of before they were famous peeps, but Holy Crap Miami Vice has them by three times over. Mykelti Williamson, Ving Rhames (skinny-ish), Garcelle Beauvais, Larry Fishburne, Esai Morales, John Turturro, Michael Shannon, Kramer as a *heavy* hehe, and that is just off the top of my head.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:48 pm

naughty zoot, I watched The Wire for the first time just a couple of months ago, and as well as being as excellent as expected, it was indeed a Hey It's That Guy - a -palooza. As well as Baelish, and Idris Elba, it seemed half the cast of The Walking Dead were in it too. And one of the policemen was in an episode of the new Daredevil series.

And now I know where that Sheeeeeeeee-it gif comes from!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Lincoln on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:36 am

naughty zoot wrote:I've finally gotten around to watching "The Wire" and lo! who appears in season 3 but Petyr Baelish himself. Aidan Gillen is just the cutest little boyish thing in this and he's supposed to be a scheming politician, I guess, but compared to Littlefinger he's as scheming as Ser Pounce. Too adorable.

Heh, are you just starting season 3? Because when Aidan Gillen showed up for the first time on Game of Thrones I actually kind of guffawed at my television, as his turn on The Wire is basically his audition tape for Game of Thrones. He does scheming politician so well that much like Lance Reddick (Lt. Daniels) and his Dad Cop thing, I've never seen him play another kind of character.

Evil Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:23 pm

blixie wrote:I am (re)watching Miami Vice. So much Miami Vice, and I still LOVE it, every deliciously 80's minute! Seriously though it holds up surprising well (DJ and PMH are both still damn good and good to look at in their younger years). Also fun to realize that MV is more diverse in 1984 than most of network television is today.

And I though the X-Files had a lot of before they were famous peeps, but Holy Crap Miami Vice has them by three times over. Mykelti Williamson, Ving Rhames (skinny-ish), Garcelle Beauvais, Larry Fishburne, Esai Morales, John Turturro, Michael Shannon, Kramer as a *heavy* hehe, and that is just off the top of my head.

One of my favorites for that list is Julia Roberts with hair and shoulder pads you could see from outer space.

The show didn't exactly launch stellar careers, unless you count "Nash Bridges" for Don Johnson. Edward James Olmos has had a solid career, and John Diehl still shows up as a character actor in all sorts of stuff. But Philip Michael Thomas, Olivia Brown, Saundra Santiago, and Michael Talbott all seemed to drop off the planet after the show ended.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:45 pm

But Philip Michael Thomas, Olivia Brown, Saundra Santiago, and Michael Talbott all seemed to drop off the planet after the show ended.

Right all the non-white people except Olmos, and Talbott was probably the weakest of the actors. Saundra did entertain the shit out of me on a Guiding Light and later One Life to Live briefly. I think though it also speaks to how looked down on TV was, TV was a way to make money until you hit it big in the movies, if you took a lead part in TV you were as much consigning your whole career to that 'level". I will say DJ was just in a great little indie Cold in July and a) he was great (although sort of a Good Old boy version of Sonny) b) he still looks pretty damn good.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:30 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:
blixie wrote:I am (re)watching Miami Vice. So much Miami Vice, and I still LOVE it, every deliciously 80's minute! Seriously though it holds up surprising well (DJ and PMH are both still damn good and good to look at in their younger years). Also fun to realize that MV is more diverse in 1984 than most of network television is today.

One of my favorites for that list is Julia Roberts with hair and shoulder pads you could see from outer space.

Melanie Griffith, George Takei and Captain Lou Albano. The Kyra Sedgwik, Phil Collins, Emo Phillips episode runs a distant second.

PMT at least lives on in the EGOT.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 pm

puddingcup wrote:I have some issues with Kimmy Schmidt, but in general, I really really enjoyed it. So many good lines!
laddical wrote:
REALLY enjoyed Martin Short as Dr. Franff,
However, what I most want to say is when I saw Martin Short/Dr. "Franff" I thought immediately of celebrity Manhattan dermatologist Dr. Brandt. Eek! I've always wondered how celebs and the wealthy could go to this guy. I mean, look! And here. It's so obviously him I wonder if they got in trouble for it.

Oh man, I just heard that Dr Brandt committed suicide a few weeks ago, and the portrayal of him in Kimmy Schmidt was mentioned in his obituary! How horrible.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri May 08, 2015 8:22 am

Forever got cancelled. I'm very sad about this one because I really liked that show. Ioan Gruffudd is always welcome on my TV screen and I liked the premise. Also, the season (series now, sniff) finale hasn't aired here yet so I don't know if he and Jo ever became a couple or a kind of couple. Woes. Serious woes going on here now.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri May 08, 2015 9:51 am

Me too QueenSix this was the only fish out of water paired with a cop where I actually bought the chemistry, and I thought the immortality spin was the freshest, it's unusual to see that divorced from a "monster" narrative, and I thought the father/son relationship between Judd Hirsch/Ioan was one of the most unique things I've ever seen on TV. But it ticks me off the atrocious Secrets and Lies was renewed while Forever wasn't. UGH. I am glad Agent Carter was spared.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Fri May 08, 2015 4:20 pm

I watched the most recent ep of Forever yesterday and at least they made it a reasonable series finale. I hadn't heard that it was cancelled and just figured it out as the ep unfolded, so I was very bummed, but it was pretty satisfying as an ending.

I agree that the chemistry was believable. Does Gruffudd have poor chemistry with anyone? He also had great chemistry with the kink consultant/professor on the show and everyone he's ever been supposed to have chemistry with, IIRC. And yes, great father/son relationship too.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Fri May 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Out of the shows canceled this year, the ones I'll really miss are Forever, Backstrom, and Sirens.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri May 08, 2015 7:21 pm

It's a long shot but maybe another network will pick it up. Hey, if Netflix could pick up Longmire (which I don't watch), maybe they will do the same with Forever? *crosses fingers, clutches at straws, prays to St Jude of hopeless cases*

Ioan Gruffudd rocks the hell out of a coat and scarf. It's a good thing they gave Jo the backstory of the dead husband because otherwise there's no way I'd have believed that she didn't fancy the hell out of Henry Morgan nearly from the start. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for a well dressed man with Henry's taste in coats and suits!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Fri May 08, 2015 11:52 pm

A friend of mine called Netflix to ask about whether they're looking at Forever as a possible pickup and she said they aren't discounting anything right now. According to her, the more people that contact them, the faster it moves to the top of their list. Now, this woman might have been yanking my friend's chain as I'm sure all fans of canned shows are begging them for a reprieve right now, but it can't hurt, I guess.

I will miss Ioan Gruffudd's face on my screen every week as well as Judd Hirsch's snarky dialogue. If ABC could find it in them to renew Galavant why not Forever? Cue sad fan's sad face.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sat May 09, 2015 12:05 am

If ABC could find it in them to renew Galavant why not Forever?  Cue sad fan's sad face.
I am 100% mystified by Galavant's renewal.  I mean, I really enjoyed that show, so I'm happy, but I never in a million years thought there would be another season of it.  It and Forever are really close, alphabetically, it's like some intern accidentally checked the wrong box on the renewal list and sent it off to the press.

As for Forever, I only saw a couple of episodes, so I'm sorry for contributing to its cancellation.  I've had basically the entire series on my DVR, well, forever (sorry).  I always meant to get around to it because Ioan Gruffudd is always worth watching and I've liked Alana De La Garza ever since she helped Law & Order turn itself around and get really watchable again in its last couple of seasons.  So now I'm looking at all the unwatched episodes on the DVR and feeling weirdly guilty.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat May 09, 2015 2:39 pm

maxell131313 wrote:A friend of mine called Netflix to ask about whether they're looking at Forever as a possible pickup and she said they aren't discounting anything right now. According to her, the more people that contact them, the faster it moves to the top of their list. Now, this woman might have been yanking my friend's chain as I'm sure all fans of canned shows are begging them for a reprieve right now, but it can't hurt, I guess.

I will miss Ioan Gruffudd's face on my screen every week as well as Judd Hirsch's snarky dialogue. If ABC could find it in them to renew Galavant why not Forever?  Cue sad fan's sad face.

Galavant aired only a couple of episodes at the end of last summer, right? If it's going to be like that again this year I can see why they chose to renew it, less episodes, less money. If it's a 22 season pick-up or, 20 episodes or what have you, then yeah, that's weird.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Sun May 10, 2015 12:50 am

Galavant was, like, 8 half-hour eps in the January dead zone, so yeah, a lot easier to renew/pay for. I am ecstatic because I am the one person in America who watched it and it ended on a cliffhanger, totally unexpectedly. I hope the showrunners are smart enough to realize that this was some sort of spring-fever madness on the part of the execs and that they need to wrap it up this time, because that ain't happening again.

(Also, if you're at all into comedy and/or musicals, give it a watch. It is MUCH smarter and sharper than you might think, and laugh-out-loud funny many times. And Alan Menken wrote all the songs!)

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon May 11, 2015 3:08 pm

I really loved Galavant as well, so I'm glad for that news. I agree that they had better finish it up for real this time though.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue May 12, 2015 6:27 am

I finally watched the Forever finale. Too soon, ABC, too soon. It was good show that kept getting stronger as the season went on. I especially liked how they were developing side characters like Lucas (he had a lot of growth over the season--I loved his speech about what Henry had taught him) and the captain ("well, the NYPD can no longer touch this case, but I have no authority over the ME's office, hint, hint"--and that she's pulled this more than once!).

I also really want to know who Adam was supposed to be. I am guessing not actually Caesar, but maybe one of the conspirators?

If Netflix (or Hulu or maybe some cable channel) doesn't pick the show up, I hope Ioan Gruffudd gets another show soon, so I can see his gorgeous face on my TV every week. Bonus points if Judd Hirsch is making snarky but affectionate comments at him.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue May 12, 2015 10:52 am

Galavant hasn't aired here so my exposure to it is limited to Tumblr gifs. It did look fun though.

And in other news, Person of Interest got renewed finally! Though it's a limited season order of 13 episodes so this may be the final season. But at least they got to have a season to wrap things up and five seasons is pretty good in the grand scheme of things.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sun May 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Did anyone watch the first episode of M. Night Shyamalan's Wayward Pines? I enjoyed it enough to tune in again next week, and I like the idea of the 10 episode limited series.  It was sure packed with actors I knew, though many I hadn't seen in years (hey Reed Diamond!)

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Mon May 18, 2015 1:45 am

Well that Call The Midwife season finale was just the most depressing thing ever save Fred and Violet's wedding. The return of Chummy was great but Mater would be most put out at finding out her ashes had been stored in a cake tin for a year. I kind of saw the bike tragedy coming, Trixie hitting rock bottom due to her drinking, and the HG diagnosis (everyone can thank the Duchess of Cambridge for that storyline) but not the thalidomide! And I hear the producers found out they were getting renewed for season 5 while 4 was in production so some of the storylines may carry over. I can only imagine what the scenes of Dr. Turner and Sheleigh discovering the horror of the drug he'd prescribed with the best of intentions will be.

More happy babies and parents next season, please?
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Mon May 18, 2015 2:13 am

Re Wayward Pines: More than a little derivative - reminds me of Persons Unknown from a few years back. (Not comparing it to Twin Peaks, because nothing compares to Twin Peaks.) Having our POV moving in and out of the town reduces the claustrophobia, which weakens the impact a bit. Still, everyone is very good at their jobs, acting wise, but it isn't quite there yet.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Wed May 27, 2015 12:01 am

Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. And while I have to admit that it really feels more like a somewhat forced "Kurt Sutter's Lil Motorcycle Club Fantasy" than a narrative, Charlie Hunnam is gorgeous and charismatic. I see why he was initally cast in 50 Shades of Gray...and I might even have watched it or at least tracked down the .gifs. Mmm. He has the energy of a (sexy) golden retriever which is an interesting combo with the motorcycle thug he's supposed to be playing.

I watched the later seasons when Walton Goggins showed up, so I know a lot of the future storylines even though I'm only on season 2.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top