What Are You Watching

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:43 pm

maxell131313 wrote:Finished the first season of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and am madly in love with Detective Inspector Jack Robinson. And I'm totally shipping him and Phryne together. Like, a lot. I don't know what season it's up to on PBS but Netflix has all of season 2 and 9 episodes of season 3.
Yay, I love MFMM! I don't think PBS has even aired the third season anywhere yet, and IME, the airing/scheduling is very inconsistent across PBS affiliate stations. But Netflix has all the episodes that have been produced--the third season was a bit shorter, sadly. AFAIK, nothing official has been released about a fourth season, so fingers crossed!

I also watched all of The Tudors, and it's basically a trashy soap, and I love that about it. Very pretty to look at, too, but if you're looking for something about the Tudors that's a little more serious, Wolf Hall was excellent. I think that one is only streaming on Amazon right now, but I could be wrong.
avatar
Carrie Ann

Posts : 1227
Join date : 2011-10-23
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  eventide82 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:34 pm

I've been watching Mozart in the Jungle, based soley on curiosity after Gael Garcia Bernal's Golden Globe win. I'm enjoying it so far, and I like that they're half hour episodes. I'm only about six episodes in, but it's a fun watch.
avatar
eventide82

Posts : 1005
Join date : 2011-10-22

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  bookworm on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:20 pm

maxell131313 wrote:Finished the first season of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and am madly in love with Detective Inspector Jack Robinson. And I'm totally shipping him and Phryne together. Like, a lot. I don't know what season it's up to on PBS but Netflix has all of season 2 and 9 episodes of season 3.

Also, should I start watching The Tudors and The Borgias?  Apparently I'm in a mood for costume dramas.

Both the Tudors and The Borgias are INSANE and over the top.  I enjoyed it, but it is not subtle at all.  The final season of The Borgias was OTT.  Apparently the network didn't green light the final two hour episode which wrapped up the whole series, so the creator uploaded the script online for everyone to read.
avatar
bookworm

Posts : 1082
Join date : 2011-10-22
Age : 37
Location : Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Bad Username on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:38 am

I have just caught up with Vikings S3 and am about to start S4. I also have the first couple of episodes of The Last Kingdom on my hard-drive ready to watch. I enjoyed the first couple of books in the series (The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell) so I'm looking forward to starting the show.

Bad Username

Posts : 388
Join date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Bad Username on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:58 am

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I really enjoyed it. TBH, the book was so wordy it took me a long time to read, and I'm not sure I followed the story as closely as I could have, so the show brought it all together. The actor who played Jonathan Strange was great, very funny in an understated way. There was some pretty good snark as well.

Bad Username

Posts : 388
Join date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  ulkis on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Bad Username wrote:Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I really enjoyed it. TBH, the book was so wordy it took me a long time to read, and I'm not sure I followed the story as closely as I could have, so the show brought it all together. The actor who played Jonathan Strange was great, very funny in an understated way. There was some pretty good snark as well.

I got to about page 600 or something and then gave up. The footnotes were annoying the crap out of me. I do want to check out the adaptation though. Hopefully it will air on PBS or something eventually.

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  mialoubug on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Is anyone watching Scream the series on MTV? I need to talk about this.
avatar
mialoubug

Posts : 517
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  bottle on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:21 am

Just finished OITNB and wow that was intense. More than past seasons I was torn between what I wanted this show to be and how realistic it is. For example some of the transphobic comments, while I hate it. It is accurate even outside of a prison situation. I amnot sure on the focus on the guards and their backstories. On the one hand I like seeing how people become what they are and it adds to the idea that none is 100% good or evil which this show does so well and how so much of us is formed by past experiences. On the other with all these great women leading the show I want more on them and less on the poor white men

Full season spoilers:
Poussey! I still cannot talk about that. It's just so sad and that response from the company was about right.

Suzanne- oh man. This character I just want to hug all the time.

Lolly similar to Suzanne shows how if we increase mental health support, for people and families, the legal system would be a lot better off. Both of them show how both of them were functioning members of society but they needed more support. The woman who played young Lolly was great.

Doggett- I didn't like the storyline with her forgiving her rapist. But I considering the situation where she has to see him and she has no power it makes sense. I have more of a problem with her deciding to kiss him, but I kind of think that is in character for her. I am sick of the guard/inmate relationship stories however.

I am so happy Sophia is alive-I was thinking she had slammed her head against a wall. I want her to have a proper storyline next season.

bottle

Posts : 24
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Binky on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:20 am

bottle wrote:

Full season spoilers:


I am so happy Sophia is alive-I was thinking she had slammed her head against a wall. I want her to have a proper storyline next season.

Cast spoiler:
I thought Lorraine Cox was cast in another show and that's why she wasn't in this season much at all? Don't know if that will change next season.

Speaking of cast, it's already huge. I had a terrible time telling the guards apart besides big beardo. And I still know like 25% of the names of the inmates.
avatar
Binky

Posts : 1041
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  puddingcup on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:28 pm

I've watched the first 10 episodes so far. I loved the first 2 episodes. The next couple were less interesting. And the last couple...yikes. Very disturbing. I want to finish the season but if things continue to ramp up it may be too much for me. And I've loved the show. I've loved how the show dealt with social issues, boldly but with humor. I've loved the attention given to so many characters and their histories and their interactions. How each character is very flawed and then the show makes them sympathetic. But now I'm afraid the show is forced to make the plot lines more extreme each season. Some plotlines seem way extreme for a minimum security prison, though what do I know. (I'm talking about the scenes of extreme cruelty and violence, not the general racism/sexism/transphobia, etc.)

puddingcup

Posts : 633
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:47 pm

First episode of Stranger Things was really good. The clothes, the theme and music score, the credits were spot on 80s TV style, while the show itself has a much more cinematic feel. Winina plays hysterical really well, Matthew Modine is menacing, and the kids were perfect.
avatar
naughty zoot

Posts : 1097
Join date : 2011-10-21
Location : Western Mass

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:18 pm

I watched the first episode last night too! Thought it was very good. Captured the 80s well (All that smoking in offices - ugh!) The kids were terrific.

Gallifrey Girl

Posts : 545
Join date : 2011-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Gillian on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:43 am

I just started the CW version of Nikita on Netflix and I am pretty much loving it. I'm halfway through the first season. I love the relationship between Nikita and Alex. I love the way Shane West conveys 90% of his angst through really aggressive frowns. I love that Melinda Clarke is in it. It's fun enough that it keeps my attention, but not so involving that I have to give it ALL of my attention, which is exactly the kind of show I need right now. I feel bad for not giving it a shot when it was on TV.

Gillian

Posts : 472
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  eventide82 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:35 am

naughty zoot wrote:First episode of Stranger Things was really good. The clothes, the theme and music score, the credits were spot on 80s TV style, while the show itself has a much more cinematic feel. Winina plays hysterical really well, Matthew Modine is menacing, and the kids were perfect.

I burned through all eight episodes last week and adored it. It was completely cinematic, and every part of its ode to the 80s was perfect. I loved the end and
Spoiler:
the part where Steve bursts back in made me realise I was SO hoping for Nancy, Jonathan and Steve to be the ultimate heroes
. The kids were delightful - Dustin and Lucas were great, and the ending made me really, really hope for a season 2.
avatar
eventide82

Posts : 1005
Join date : 2011-10-22

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:16 pm

Yeah, the whole thing ended up being great! Very talented kids in it!

Gallifrey Girl

Posts : 545
Join date : 2011-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Jude on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:48 pm

I think there are some Roswell fans on here, right? So it looks as though Majandra Delfino and Brendan Fehr (Michael and Maria on Roswell) have a new project in the works. It all sounds pretty vague, but I'm fairly sure the guy she's talking about who's helping her with it is one of the original Roswell producers, Kevin Kelly Brown. I'll be tuning in for sure if they get this thing launched!

Roswell Reunion

Jude

Posts : 432
Join date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  ulkis on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Huh. And I was just wondering what they were up to a couple of days ago. Well, good luck to them.

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  ulkis on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Gillian wrote:I just started the CW version of Nikita on Netflix and I am pretty much loving it.  I'm halfway through the first season.  I love the relationship between Nikita and Alex.  I love the way Shane West conveys 90% of his angst through really aggressive frowns.  I love that Melinda Clarke is in it.  It's fun enough that it keeps my attention, but not so involving that I have to give it ALL of my attention, which is exactly the kind of show I need right now.  I feel bad for not giving it a shot when it was on TV.

Oh, don't feel too bad. It could have gone on longer, but it kinda got not so great in season 2 and they got to wrap it up decently. I prefer a show that is a little on the shorter side than one that runs a bit past its prime. :side-eyes Supernatural:

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  mandalaya on Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:47 am

I'll second (fifth?) the Stranger Things love! Really enjoyed that.

Now I'm watching Limitless. I didn't bother reading its blurb on Netflix for a long time because I've seen the movie, and I thought this was the movie. Nope, it's a tv show based on the same premise. Bradley Cooper even shows up in the first ep. I'm only three eps in but it's a cool concept and I'm entertained so far.
avatar
mandalaya

Posts : 183
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Tabby on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:39 pm

I've been watching the latest season of The Great British Bake Off (the one that aired in the UK last year) on PBS. I love that show SO MUCH. I got spoiled for the winner, but I still love watching all those nice people make spectacular baked goods. The final show is this Friday, and I'm going to miss it so much. Having it on Fridays was nice - even after a hellish week, that show was there to look forward to.
avatar
Tabby

Posts : 726
Join date : 2011-10-25
Age : 57
Location : Minneapolis, Minnesota

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Morning Angel on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:13 pm

Tabby wrote:I've been watching the latest season of The Great British Bake Off (the one that aired in the UK last year) on PBS. I love that show SO MUCH. I got spoiled for the winner, but I still love watching all those nice people make spectacular baked goods. The final show is this Friday, and I'm going to miss it so much. Having it on Fridays was nice - even after a hellish week, that show was there to look forward to.

I agree. It's the first season I happened to catch, and it is just amazing how you get invested in the bakers. But my favourite thing about it is that there is no fake drama/tragic backstory.
avatar
Morning Angel

Posts : 477
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  dionneshea on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Morning Angel wrote:
Tabby wrote:I've been watching the latest season of The Great British Bake Off (the one that aired in the UK last year) on PBS. I love that show SO MUCH. I got spoiled for the winner, but I still love watching all those nice people make spectacular baked goods. The final show is this Friday, and I'm going to miss it so much. Having it on Fridays was nice - even after a hellish week, that show was there to look forward to.

I agree.  It's the first season I happened to catch, and it is just amazing how you get invested in the bakers.  But my favourite thing about it is that there is no fake drama/tragic backstory.
It is my favourite TV show. I love it so much. And there were so many great contestants this year. And I love that they help each other out, and joke with each other. Such a friendly, lovely competition.
avatar
dionneshea

Posts : 499
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:29 pm

It's my favorite show too, for all these reasons, and because it's so bright and colorful and pretty to look at. It just makes me feel happy. I save all the episodes on my DVR to rewatch. I've watched the other two seasons that have aired on PBS three times through at least. Now I need to track down the earlier seasons via methods...
avatar
Carrie Ann

Posts : 1227
Join date : 2011-10-23
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  eventide82 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:03 am

I love that the judges are so...refined. There's no screaming and shaming of the contestants. At most, the contestants get a little "There's just not enough flavour" or "It's a bit undercooked for me." And that's it. It's just so NICE.
avatar
eventide82

Posts : 1005
Join date : 2011-10-22

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Coneycat on Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:23 am

Yes, I love this show for all the reasons stated above. Nice people do creative things while being nice. What's not to love? Although that recent chocolate souffle challenge was TERRIFYING.

Coneycat

Posts : 536
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum