What Are You Watching

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  pinguerin on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:56 am

Whenever someone says "soggy bottom," I can't stop giggling.

pinguerin

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:18 pm

I'm on the next to last episode of Stranger Things and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. That pretty much sums up my feels on the subject.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:46 am

pinguerin wrote:Whenever someone says "soggy bottom," I can't stop giggling.

Every time I make a pie, even with store bought pastry, as soon as I cut into it, I closely examine the bottom of it to see if it's soggy. If it is, I'm crushed with disappointment.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:00 am

I just wanted to note that the finale of The Great British Bake Off made me cry so much at the end. You get invested in the best way possible. I did not think I would weep for the winner and the runners-up of a baking competition. All three who made it to the finale were very talented.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:56 am

I just wanted to note that the finale of The Great British Bake Off made me cry so much at the end.
Me, too! I was so happy that all three finalists had good Showstoppers to finish off with. And seeing Mary Berry get choked up was just icing on the bun.

PBS has the recipe for Nadiya's iced buns on their website. I'm tempted to give them a try, they sounded delicious.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:48 am

Tabby wrote:
I just wanted to note that the finale of The Great British Bake Off made me cry so much at the end.
Me, too! I was so happy that all three finalists had good Showstoppers to finish off with. And seeing Mary Berry get choked up was just icing on the bun.
Me three! It was Mary getting choked up that did me in. She's never emotional.

I really want Nadiya and Tamal to get their own show where they just bake and tease each other. I loved their sibling-ish rivalry.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:42 pm

I love this show so much! I also find the prize ridiculously sweet. A cake stand!

I thought it was funny that they figured out the pastry challenge in the final round was because they'd all done terrible at pastry before.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:20 pm

Nadiya has her own two part cooking series called The Chronicles of Nadiya. It starts on BBC 1 this Wednesday so maybe PBS or a cooking channel will pick it up stateside.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:42 am

I also cried like a little baby at the finale. Once it started--probably when Nadiya was tearing up over her showstopper (and I agree that it is so much better when everyone succeeds at that final challenge!)--I just couldn't stop. When her son was wiping away tears I just about died, and I rewound Mary getting choked up a couple of times to cry again. I love this show so much. I might have to "fly to the UK" to watch the new season because I don't know if I can wait another year again.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:39 am

Carrie Ann, the new series starts tonight! Better grab your passport and get on that plane!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:59 pm

On my way! :)
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:55 pm

I watched Baz Lurhman's The Get Down on Netflix. I loved it! Set in the Bronx in the 70s, in the heyday of disco and the emerging hip hop/rap scene. Wonderful costumes and locations. Great acting. It's very Baz, so maybe not for everyone? He doesn't direct every episode, so his particular style isn't so present as it is in the pilot.

Daveed Diggs (Jefferson/LaFayette from Hamilton) plays the main character in the 90s, who raps the "Previously on The Get Down" at the start of each episode.

And Jimmy Smits is so good in everything he does.

Can't wait for the next six episodes next year.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:I watched Baz Lurhman's The Get Down on Netflix. I loved it! Set in the Bronx in the 70s, in the heyday of disco and the emerging hip hop/rap scene. Wonderful costumes and locations. Great acting. It's very Baz, so maybe not for everyone? He doesn't direct every episode, so his particular style isn't so present as it is in the pilot.

Daveed Diggs (Jefferson/LaFayette from Hamilton) plays the main character in the 90s, who raps the "Previously on The Get Down" at the start of each episode.

And Jimmy Smits is so good in everything he does.

Can't wait for the next six episodes next year.

I couldn't get past the second episode. For some reason it just didn't grab me, despite me really wanting to love it. I don't know if I should try again though. I found the first episode had SO much going on, yet the second episode felt weirdly flat in comparison, so I don't know what it is, but I just couldn't keep going.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:53 am

My friend wrote something cool about Stranger Things, if you're interested: Girls Feel Stranger Things, Too.

I watched about half of the first ep of The Get Down and wandered off. I will try again at some point, but definitely didn't get sucked in immediately like with Stranger Things. If The Get Down had an alternate dimension, that could be perfect!
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:10 pm

I'm a little late to the topic, but I recently watched the season of The Great British Bake Off on Netflix and ended up powering through all the seasons. I've had a lot of stress and find it extremely comforting and it's gotten me to baking again. Though, I'm perennially watching what I eat so I just give it away so my boyfriend doesn't eat it all (he's health conscious and doesn't want to eat a ton of baked goods). I'm currently rewatching an episode now!

I loved Stranger Things and am anxious for season 2.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:50 am

A few weeks ago I noticed that Fringe was on the list of things leaving Netflix this month (it vanished today). I started it three or four years ago and got about halfway through season two. I didn't stop watching it on purpose, I just kind of moved on to other shows and never went back to it. I had the week off of work this week, so I decided to try to get through the rest of it. That didn't pan out, but not for lack of trying. It turns out I really like this show. It reminds me a lot of Lost, which is kind of a duh because there are cast and crew in common and a lot of intentional similarities. Desmond turned up in the episode I just finished, which, yay. But what I like about it is the same thing I liked about Lost. I love the characters, and the mystery is secondary. I just like watching characters that I love form relationships, evolve those relationships, and react to weird shit like alternate universes and alternate timelines. John Noble is heartbreaking, Anna Torv turned out to be crazy good, and my childhood Joshua Jackson crush remains firmly intact. I've got the end of season four and all of season five left, and I think I'm going to be pretty bummed out when I'm done. You were a fun show, Fringe. I'm sorry I didn't watch you.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:33 am

Like that, I started watching Fringe and then towards the final season, for whatever reason, I didn't watch as faithfully so I caught up with it on Netflix. Anna Torv's lack of any kind of nomination for her work on that show is just typical of the people who do the nominations. Ridiculous. She was so good. She played Leonard Nimoy's character too for crying out loud.

One thing that struck me about the later seasons, that I wasn't too crazy about, is how it progressed from being Olivia's story to focusing more on the father/son drama. While John Noble and Joshua Jackson were both great in their roles, I thought there was a bit of a shift there towards the male leads. I would have liked to see Olivia front and centre to the end because I liked her a lot and Anna Torv is amazing.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:17 pm

I just started watching Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on Netflix and am quite enjoying it!
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Gillian wrote:A few weeks ago I noticed that Fringe was on the list of things leaving Netflix this month (it vanished today).  I started it three or four years ago and got about halfway through season two.  I didn't stop watching it on purpose, I just kind of moved on to other shows and never went back to it.  I had the week off of work this week, so I decided to try to get through the rest of it.  That didn't pan out, but not for lack of trying.  It turns out I really like this show.  It reminds me a lot of Lost, which is kind of a duh because there are cast and crew in common and a lot of intentional similarities.  Desmond turned up in the episode I just finished, which, yay.  But what I like about it is the same thing I liked about Lost.  I love the characters, and the mystery is secondary.  I just like watching characters that I love form relationships, evolve those relationships, and react to weird shit like alternate universes and alternate timelines.  John Noble is heartbreaking, Anna Torv turned out to be crazy good, and my childhood Joshua Jackson crush remains firmly intact.  I've got the end of season four and all of season five left, and I think I'm going to be pretty bummed out when I'm done.  You were a fun show, Fringe.  I'm sorry I didn't watch you.

As someone who didn't like Lost (as the season went on, I liked it at first) and liked Fringe, I kinda liked Fringe for the same reason you liked both that and Lost, but what was different for me about Fringe is that I think we did find out the big mystery, and the big mystery kept changing,
Spoiler:
like in season 1 we find out that Peter is from the other side, and then they go from there, and there's a thing from season 3 to 4 but I don't want to spoiler it
whereas I didn't watch much of Lost after the first season, but I got the impression the mysteries were never really solved until the last episodes, they just seemed to add more questions.

Fringe takes a bunch of questionable turns and I think sometimes what they did worked and sometimes it didn't, but I admired them for trying to change it up.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:02 pm

QueenSix wrote:Like that, I started watching Fringe and then towards the final season, for whatever reason, I didn't watch as faithfully so I caught up with it on Netflix. Anna Torv's lack of any kind of nomination for her work on that show is just typical of the people who do the nominations. Ridiculous. She was so good. She played Leonard Nimoy's character too for crying out loud.

One thing that struck me about the later seasons, that I wasn't too crazy about, is how it progressed from being Olivia's story to focusing more on the father/son drama. While John Noble and Joshua Jackson were both great in their roles, I thought there was a bit of a shift there towards the male leads. I would have liked to see Olivia front and centre to the end because I liked her a lot and Anna Torv is amazing.

I think they drifted towards Walter and Peter in season 3 and tried to get back more Olivia in season 4 when
Spoiler:
Peter disappeared from the timeline
. I think Peter was in the thick of it because he was Olivia's love interest and Walter's son, but imo he was the macguffin, he always got secondary point of view out of the three of them.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:26 pm

I finished Fringe this week. I cannot believe how emotionally invested I was in these characters by the end. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another show where all of the characters became consistently more likable with each passing season. Even Fauxlivia and Walternate became likable, and they started out as total bad news. (P.S. I really liked this show's commitment to Peter being erased, mostly because it erased that bad idea baby that was basically never spoken of again. Good move, guys!)

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:08 pm

I just discovered season 2 of Jane the Virgin is on Netflix here, so I've been binge watching it while my daughter is at daycare. It's such a good little show - they always stay just on the right side of having the characters become too cartoonish, or the storyline become too telenovella-like. Also, Gina Rodriguez wears THE cutest dresses on that show (something I tweeted last week and she liked it!)
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:35 am

Is anyone else watching Candle Cove on Syfy? Sooooo creepy. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the teacher fits in.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:48 pm

eventide82 wrote:I just discovered season 2 of Jane the Virgin is on Netflix here, so I've been binge watching it while my daughter is at daycare. It's such a good little show - they always stay just on the right side of having the characters become too cartoonish, or the storyline become too telenovella-like. Also, Gina Rodriguez wears THE cutest dresses on that show (something I tweeted last week and she liked it!)

I want to go back and watch this - we started the first season, but I was pregnant and had to stop watching when they started the "there's something potentially wrong with the baby" story line. I've heard good things about season 2 and how much more realistic it is around breastfeeding and other newborn baby woes than most shows, and I've been meaning to go back to it. I miss the Narrator and Rogelio!
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:59 pm

eventide82 wrote:I just discovered season 2 of Jane the Virgin is on Netflix here, so I've been binge watching it while my daughter is at daycare. It's such a good little show - they always stay just on the right side of having the characters become too cartoonish, or the storyline become too telenovella-like. Also, Gina Rodriguez wears THE cutest dresses on that show (something I tweeted last week and she liked it!)

It is such a great show. I love it. And season 3 is already off to an interesting start.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top