What Are You Watching

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Are You Watching

Post  eventide82 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:57 am

mokey75 wrote:
eventide82 wrote:I just discovered season 2 of Jane the Virgin is on Netflix here, so I've been binge watching it while my daughter is at daycare. It's such a good little show - they always stay just on the right side of having the characters become too cartoonish, or the storyline become too telenovella-like. Also, Gina Rodriguez wears THE cutest dresses on that show (something I tweeted last week and she liked it!)

I want to go back and watch this - we started the first season, but I was pregnant and had to stop watching when they started the "there's something potentially wrong with the baby" story line. I've heard good things about season 2 and how much more realistic it is around breastfeeding and other newborn baby woes than most shows, and I've been meaning to go back to it. I miss the Narrator and Rogelio!  

It kind of was realistic about the breastfeeding and newborn baby woes, but not as much as I expected after hearing about it from other people. That being said, it was still good to see a character have a baby and then have the baby not magically disappear after three episodes. Season 2 was great and I'm looking forward to season 3 already, especially after seeing how season 2 ended!
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:18 pm

So I have cut off watching all news related tv until the evening of the election--my blood pressure can't take it. So I have started binge watching The Big C. (This is partially due to my continuing journey of watching every Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen work). I just finished season 1 and it is really good! Laura Linney is fantastic, Oliver Platt is wonderful, and Idris Elba is so fucking hot. And then it has moments where it just hits you in the feels. Plus Liam Neeson as a crazy bee man for 1 episode.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Gillian wrote:I finished Fringe this week.  I cannot believe how emotionally invested I was in these characters by the end.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of another show where all of the characters became consistently more likable with each passing season.  Even Fauxlivia and Walternate became likable, and they started out as total bad news.  (P.S.  I really liked this show's commitment to Peter being erased, mostly because it erased that bad idea baby that was basically never spoken of again.  Good move, guys!)

I wasn't a fan of everyone forgetting Peter, but yeah, if that was what it took to get rid of bad idea baby. Plus it did get us the episode of Walter and Peter bonding over finding the circumference of the town, heh.

Even when Walternate was a total baddie, you still understood his motives. I don't think John Noble ever got nominated for an emmy, which is a shame because he was so great in both roles.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:22 pm

So I watched the Netflix revival of Gilmore Girls over the weekend. I binge-watched the original only a year or so ago, so the characters and all were still pretty fresh in my mind, for better or worse.

My thoughts: I've never liked Lorelei. I've always found her character to be silly and childish and her rapid-patter yapping to be annoying and unfunny 99% of the time. This update hasn't changed that for me. Her chemistry with Luke, which I never thought was all that impressive, is now non-existent. It's like they're sort of buddies instead of lovers. Or something.

As bad as Lorelei is, though, she can't hold a candle to Rory, who is UNBEARABLE now. While she was never all that great in the original, in this one Rory's so awful that it's hard to imagine what Amy Sherman-Palladino was thinking when she wrote this stuff. It's supposed to be 9 or 10 years later, yet she hasn't shown a single sign of growth or maturity whatsoever. Being whiny and entitled when you're a teenager is one thing, but she's supposed to be 32!

Some scenes in the four episodes were charming, and I liked seeing some of the characters I always liked, like Paris, Michel, and Sookie. But the amount of sheer filler was inexcusable, from a seemingly never-ending Stars Hollow musical to a weird, is-this-real-or-what? visit from Logan and his band of wealthy a-holes to cheer up mopey Rory.

I was actually looking forward to seeing the revival, but then it just brought back all the things that annoyed me so much about the show. I remember when I was watching the original, I'd sometimes think, "WHY am I watching this?? It's SO annoying!!" but then I'd continue anyway. As irritating as it could be, it was still curiously addictive. I have no idea why.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love Black Mirror, but sheesh it can be disturbing!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:20 am

I watched the Black Mirror episode 'White Bear', and was disturbed enough that I can't quite bring myself to watch any more.

I watched The Expanse, and loved it.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love Black Mirror, but sheesh it can be disturbing!

I'm starting Season Three, and it is amazing in a terrifying, paranoia-inducing, perception-altering way. I think White Bear and White Christmas are standouts. I've always loved Charlie Brooker's commentary on TV, news and world events, but he is also a genius of a writer too, if utterly twisted in the head.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:02 pm

My parents (in their late 70s!) have become fans of Gillian Anderson through her British dramas (most recently The Fall, but I know they've seen her in other things too.) Yesterday they told me they were going to start to watch The X-Files. I *really* don't think that's going to be their cup of tea.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:29 am

I just discovered Younger, thanks to my sister's recommendation and I've burned through two seasons in a week. I'm almost done with season 3 and I love it. The premise sounds silly (40 year old pretends to be 26 to get a job after being a stay at home mother who has separated from her husband), but Sutton Foster and Hilary Duff really sell it. Diana is hilarious and I'm dying for Liza and Charles to finally get together.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:24 am

I binged Eyewitness on USA right before Christmas and I have been trying to get as many people as possible to watch it. It's based on a Norwegian show and is so, so good. It's a murder thriller (not really a mystery) but also a really angsty love story between two boys in a small town. The show is also a great examination of responses to trauma. Also, one of the young leads is Bill Paxton's son!

I am waiting on tenterhooks to see if it gets a 2nd season (seriously USA, you are one of the few shows with a realistic depiction of teen queer sexuality, don't cancel it to spend more money on Colony or Suits!)

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:35 am

eventide82 wrote:I just discovered Younger, thanks to my sister's recommendation and I've burned through two seasons in a week. I'm almost done with season 3 and I love it. The premise sounds silly (40 year old pretends to be 26 to get a job after being a stay at home mother who has separated from her husband), but Sutton Foster and Hilary Duff really sell it. Diana is hilarious and I'm dying for Liza and Charles to finally get together.

I love that show too. Always happy when more people find it! I also ship Liza and Charles, but lots of people online are Josh/Liza.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:30 am

My sis and I bingewatched all of Suits over 4 weeks, and the show is such a hot mess yet I continue to watch for some inexplicable reason. The show was sketchy from the start because it was obvious the writers painted themselves into a corner with Mike and Harvey's secret. That was never gonna be resolved in any satisfying way, IMO. As the lead protagonist, you know Mike will always find a way back into the firm no matter how much he jeopardizes its reputation. The first three seasons at least pretended to resemble the real world, but from S4 onward, it's just been the six main characters yelling at and threatening each other or lying to the rest of the world about Mike's fraudulent Harvard pedigree. The attorneys have such selective morals and ethics, too, which is maddening. I don't mind characters who have varying shades of gray, but the writing is so inconsistent. People rant about loyalty one minute and then throw their ethics out the window to save Mike repeatedly. Gina Torres is absolutely magnificent as Jessica Pearson though and is my biggest reason for choosing to sit through 6.5 seasons of insanity so far.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Morning Angel wrote:
eventide82 wrote:I just discovered Younger, thanks to my sister's recommendation and I've burned through two seasons in a week. I'm almost done with season 3 and I love it. The premise sounds silly (40 year old pretends to be 26 to get a job after being a stay at home mother who has separated from her husband), but Sutton Foster and Hilary Duff really sell it. Diana is hilarious and I'm dying for Liza and Charles to finally get together.

I love that show too.  Always happy when more people find it!  I also ship Liza and Charles, but lots of people online are Josh/Liza.

There is no other show on television that would have a barfight start with "Random House isn't buying any more fiction thanks to you!" Therefore, I love this show so, so much.

(Plus, I find the premise fixes one of my biggest problems with Sex and the City. In SatC, Carrie would hear about some new thing and be all, 'The hell, what is that?' and the other three (usually Samantha) would school her. But her job meant SHE SHOULD KNOW THAT. Imagine a show where Dan Savage was all, 'Butt plugs, what are those?' to his best friends. No. ANYWAY. Younger works because Liza not knowing stuff (about some new trending on-line thing, for example) and thus gets schooled by her 'peers' actually makes sense.)
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:01 am

I am dying for season 4. DYING.

I found a couple of things a little unbelieveable that Liza wouldn't know because she's *gasp* old - particularly because she has a college aged student who would surely have schooled her on all things tech/social media while she was at home, but thankfully that stuff didn't last too long once she became immersed in her job.

And yeah, that barfight start was awesome.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Did anyone watch the new Netflix A Series of Unfortunate Events? I was thoroughly entertained, even though it is relentlessly depressing and these kids are failed by the adults at every turn. Wonderful cinematography and design.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:37 am

I haven't watched A Series of Unfortunate Events yet, I'm saving it for my next lot of days off.

I watched an English show called Crazyhead on Netflix after a review on io9 referred to it as an updated Buffy. I can see why; a girl discovers she has the power to see demons, and meets another girl who can see them too, so they decide to fight demons together and hijinks ensue. It's really funny and I highly recommend it.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Are other people's public TV stations showing the British Bake-Off Masterclass episodes? Mine (TPT Twin Cities Public TV) has been showing them since the beginning of January, and it looks like we've got episodes running through the end of February. I mentioned this on Facebook, but that hour every week has been an absolute godsend to my mental health. There was a Christmas episode in early January where Paul made a pull-apart tree of Chelsea buns that looked to die for, and I'm seriously considering trying my hand at eclairs after Mary showed me how last week.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Bad Username, last night I watched the first episode of Crazyhead on your recommendation. It was really good! I'll keep watching.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:06 am

I'm glad you like it! It's a lot of fun.

I just finished the third and final season of Penny Dreadful. It's a shame it's over, I love how schlocky it is.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Tabby wrote:Are other people's public TV stations showing the British Bake-Off Masterclass episodes? Mine (TPT Twin Cities Public TV) has been showing them since the beginning of January, and it looks like we've got episodes running through the end of February. I mentioned this on Facebook, but that hour every week has been an absolute godsend to my mental health. There was a Christmas episode in early January where Paul made a pull-apart tree of Chelsea buns that looked to die for, and I'm seriously considering trying my hand at eclairs after Mary showed me how last week.
OMG yes, I could have written this post. Thank God for TPT. I can barely stand to turn the TV on because of the danger of seeing some form of news right now, and GBBO Masterclass is basically the only thing worth the risk. Even though I know Paul is a shit for staying with the show on the new network, I will miss his rapport with Mary when the time comes.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 am

I'm 7 seasons into The Office (US), and I love it. This is the first time I've watched it. I avoided it initially because I caught a couple of episodes of the English version, and I understood why people liked it, but I can really only handle cringe-y humour in small doses, plus the mockumentary format didn't really do it for me. I loved Parks and Rec though, and got used to the format, so I thought I'd give The Office a try, and I'm so glad I did, it's hilarious.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Bad Username wrote:I'm glad you like it! It's a lot of fun.

I just finished the third and final season of Penny Dreadful. It's a shame it's over, I love how schlocky it is.

Did you like the finale? Most people were pissed, so I didn't bother to watch the rest, but maybe I'll try it.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 pm

I loved Penny Dreadful so much the final episode is still sitting on my DVR unwatched. Sigh.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:33 am

ulkis wrote:Did you like the finale? Most people were pissed, so I didn't bother to watch the rest, but maybe I'll try it.

I didn't mind it. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but it felt like a natural conclusion to me for at least one character. I wish they'd had time to wrap up the other main storyline.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Bad Username wrote:
ulkis wrote:Did you like the finale? Most people were pissed, so I didn't bother to watch the rest, but maybe I'll try it.

I didn't mind it. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but it felt like a natural conclusion to me for at least one character. I wish they'd had time to wrap up the other main storyline.

Thanks. I wasn't that invested, so that's why I didn't finish watching, but probably the way they wrapped things up wouldn't bother me as much for that reason either.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top