Mad Max: Fury Road

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mad Max: Fury Road

Post  blixie on Fri May 15, 2015 9:59 am

Sorry this one deserves it's own damn thread.

I'll I can say is RUN do not walk to your local theater to see this near masterpiece by George Miller (as ever it could have lost 5-10 minutes and been that much better). Every frame is saturated with epic beauty, and is an achievement in action choreography, the art direction is stunning. I was reminded while watching how often imagery of Millers films has been borrowed (Ghost of Mars, and Whedon's reavers most immediately come to mind), and it was joy to see him sort of re-appropriate his visual narrative and expand and improve on it with Immortan Joe, the War Boys, and their beautiful terrible machines.

Furiosa is pretty much my everything, Nick Hoult as Nux also does a great work, but while Hardy is incredibly generous in his lack of need to dominate the screen and story he still holds all the pieces together, in the way Max can and should, plus add a wonderful note of dead pan humor, my favorite being
Spoiler:
First my blood, now my CAR?

I can't believe I'm saying this but I might re-watch this one in 3-D.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

Post  darthtall on Fri May 15, 2015 10:24 pm

A thousand times yes!

I cackled with astonished delight so many times. Am seriously considering buzzing my hair and cosplaying as Furiosa for Halloween.

darthtall

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat May 16, 2015 12:22 am

My praise is not so effusive but I agree for the most part. It's the only Mad Max movie I've seen and Max as a character barely registered to me - I assume he's only even in it for brand recognition because Miller knew he'd never get the studios to finance an action film with Charlize Theron as the lone name above the title. But where neckbeards and MRCs see bugs I see a feature - I admit I wouldn't have even bothered, Max or no Max, if they hadn't pitched a fit about this movie being the death of masculinity. And I got a very pleasant couple of hours that were some of the purest cinema I'd ever seen. Moving image upon moving image upon moving image with only as much story and character as needed for context. Like a beautifully violent Koyaanisqatsi.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Sat May 16, 2015 9:38 am

Not to be all ONTD about it, but YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS. This movie was bananas, in the best possible way. It was what I wanted Jupiter Ascending to be: a visually stunning, funny, emotionally moving epic about fucking badasses.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Sat May 16, 2015 7:46 pm

I got home from this 90 minutes ago and I still feel hungover. It was amazing, insane, intense, wonderful. It's sort of crazy to think about all the simple ways it skirted the usual eff-ups and cop-outs that come with female heroines and stories that include women being exploited. Like how never, even once, was Furiosa robbed of her ability to kick ass, even when she was dying. How it wasn't a story about some amazing woman who by all rights should be the chosen-one type leader, but instead some hapless (or even quite capable) dude gets that role (see...like all the big movies from summer 2014, basically). How the "wives" weren't just blanks, just victims with pretty faces, but all had their own instincts and priorities, and were given their moments of heroism.

I mean, I was overstimulated and have PMS and whatever, but I actually teared up thinking about this stuff on the ride home. Highest of fives, everyone involved in this thing.

Tom Hardy, welcome back you hot sonofabitch. Speaking of hot, Charlize has gotta be entered in the pantheon of gateways-to-bisexual-epiphanies.

Last edited by Carrie Ann on Sat May 16, 2015 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sat May 16, 2015 8:35 pm

I mean, I was overstimulated and have PMS and whatever, but I actually teared up thinking about this stuff on the ride home. Highest of fives, everyone involved in this thing. wrote:

Miller consulted with Eve Ensler(who has her issues, but whatever), which is why I'd guess the Many Mothers were dubbed the Vuvalini, but he really did just make a series of good choices, and insisted his wife edit the film despite her lack of experience cutting together action films, because he wanted her to make sure he hadn't fucked anything up in terms of telling a story of women. BTW, I have decided henceforth I will answer only to Toast The Knowing.

I did love the meta shout to Master Blaster in the form of Immortan Joe's sons: Rictus Erectus (a mammoth dude with not much brains, and Corpus Colossus the much smarter little person).

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Sun May 17, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm reposting my LJ post about it. I have questions.

Spoiler:
What was that silver shit the War Boys kept spraying in their faces? Some kind of narcotic or painkiller?

If everyone in this world is fucked up from radiation, etc, where did they find the Wives who seem to be unaffected? Max also didn't seem to have anything physically wrong with him?

If they kidnapped Furiosa as a child, why didn't she become a wife or a milk machine? I thought it was going to be revealed that she'd been masquerading as a man, but nope, they knew she was a woman. It's interesting (and awesome) that for a society that literally treats women as breeding stock, she'd be allowed to drive the War Rig.

Did Max already have those back tattoos (saying he was O-negative)? What were they tattooing on the bottom?

Where did the War Boys come from? There were so many of them, and it seemed like if they were really so sickly, they'd die before they get to Nux's age.

If "guzzoline" is so fucking rare, you would think people would like for alternate means of transport than big rigs. Does no one have a Prius in Australia?

It sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not. I just have a lot of feelings about this movie and I want to know more!

I loved

Spoiler:
The Wives being active participants in their own escape. (Them helping Furiosa when she was fighting Max, Splendid hanging off the rig to threaten Immortan Joe, the dark haired one tricking Face Mask guy and pulling Furiosa where she needed to go.) Badass.

Max was basically being treated like a woman would in a typical "action" movie - he's kidnapped, has his body used against his will, ends up helping the "hero" of the movie in her quest.

The fucking guitarist and drummers. If we're going on a death quest, we might as well have a soundtrack.

The blonde wife (The Dag) and her deadpan delivery. "Say...does anyone else notice that oncoming headlight and rounds of gunfire?" "Immortan Joe's baby. He's going to be so fucking ugly!"

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it, bar a few minor reservations. The CGI near the beginning looked cheap and distracting, but luckily the rest of the movie looked phenomenal, harkening back to Thunderdone in terms of design and feel. I loved how wacky and detailed all the characters were - even minor players were given tics and traits that made them stand out.

Max was so barely-there that he could have been replaced with a Sexy Lamp, but his character became something of a cypher by the last movie, so I was happy enough for him to take a back-seat. His obsession with 'saving people' didn't really ring true for me, considering his loner nature, falling into helping people by happenstance in the last two films.

The War boys fit so well into the universe, with their whole death cult and quotable lines like 'If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on a fury road!' Man, that should have been on the poster.

Spoiler:

BrightEyes wrote:What was that silver shit the War Boys kept spraying in their faces? Some kind of narcotic or painkiller?

I think that was chrome paint, BrightEyes. From what I could pick up, their religion seemed to be something to do with being reborn in vehicle form? Maybe it was just symbolic.

If they kidnapped Furiosa as a child, why didn't she become a wife or a milk machine? I thought it was going to be revealed that she'd been masquerading as a man, but nope, they knew she was a woman. It's interesting (and awesome) that for a society that literally treats women as breeding stock, she'd be allowed to drive the War Rig.

I didn't quite get that either. Her big motivation was redemption, but what did she have to redeem herself for? Surely she was forced to drive the rig and be part of the evil empire? I bought it to a certain extent, but I would have like to have her fleshed out some more.

Niggling issues aside, I really loved it. It stacks up against any of the previous films, in my opinion.

Spoiler:

The blonde wife (The Dag) and her deadpan delivery. "Say...does anyone else notice that oncoming headlight and rounds of gunfire?" "Immortan Joe's baby. He's going to be so fucking ugly!"

She was great! Also when Zoe Kravitz asked her who she was praying to - 'Anyone who'll listen?'
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun May 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Max was a cop in the first movie, and while he went off the deep end he's always had a protective streak in him.

Spoiler:
It's possible the womens quarters were lined with lead or something, to keep the radiation out. I thought that the radiation wasn't universal, only parts of the world were affected. And yet, they had plenty of greenery. I don't know much about radiation, but it felt wrong. Maybe it's mild enough to allow a few mutations and cancers, but not enough to stunt people's growth.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, but maybe Furiosa was sterile? Perhaps from the radiation? Or maybe Joe liked her enough to let her try driving, and she proved herself good enough. Maybe she had prior experience.

I think that all the tattoos were new, done by the War Boys.

Australia used to have a paint-sniffing problem, until it developed a crystal meth problem. The spraypaint felt like a reference to that.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Mon May 18, 2015 8:25 am

Red Wolf wrote:Max was a cop in the first movie, and while he went off the deep end he's always had a protective streak in him.

That's true, but it just didn't fully resonate with me, considering his character arc in the movies. It wasn't a big issue however, because I bought his progression in this one.

It's been ages since I've been so inspired by the imagination and intelligence of a movie. And oh my god is this film rife with cosplay potential. I don't want to overestimate its cultural impact, but I feel it's going to be the V for Vendetta of the next decade. I forsee 'Who Killed the World?' graffiti everywhere.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Grainne Mhaol wrote:The War boys fit so well into the universe, with their whole death cult and quotable lines like 'If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on a fury road!' Man, that should have been on the poster.

Spoiler:

BrightEyes wrote:What was that silver shit the War Boys kept spraying in their faces? Some kind of narcotic or painkiller?

I think that was chrome paint, BrightEyes. From what I could pick up, their religion seemed to be something to do with being reborn in vehicle form? Maybe it was just symbolic.

I didn't quite get that either. Her big motivation was redemption, but what did she have to redeem herself for? Surely she was forced to drive the rig and be part of the evil empire? I bought it to a certain extent, but I would have like to have her fleshed out some more.
I listened to a podcast about the movie, and one of the guys had an interesting idea, re: Furiosa.
Spoiler:
She mentions having driven the road to the "green place" many times and she's looking for redemption. Maybe she was brainwashed into kidnapping girls who would become the wives and now she's trying to seek forgiveness for past misdeeds. But then, she would know that the "green place" was gone.

BTW - Those human/crow things? Mindfuck.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sat May 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Grainne Mhaol wrote:Just got back from seeing it. Loved it, bar a few minor reservations. The CGI near the beginning looked cheap and distracting, but luckily the rest of the movie looked phenomenal, harkening back to Thunderdone in terms of design and feel. I loved how wacky and detailed all the characters were - even minor players were given tics and traits that made them stand out.

Road Warrior has to be the only movie that can compete with Blade Runner for having its set design ripped off.

I got a lead foot on the drive home.

Had a total geekgasm realizing the same guy played the villian in the original Mad Max as did in Fury Road.

Eve Ensler consulting on a Mad Max movie sounds like a bad Cards Against Humanity hand.

The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue May 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Picturing Nux knitting has made my day better.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue May 26, 2015 7:16 pm

BrightEyes wrote:I'm reposting my LJ post about it. I have questions.

Spoiler:

If everyone in this world is fucked up from radiation, etc, where did they find the Wives who seem to be unaffected? Max also didn't seem to have anything physically wrong with him?

I think Max might be immortal! Mostly kidding. But Lindsey Ellis did a short review of the history of Mad Max (here) and in the 1st movie things look like they have just started to go bad. And in this one it has clearly been a couple of generations since then, the old ladies remember when it was better but no one else does. And everyone has cancer and shit. The worst of the radiation could have passed and so there are a few people unaffected. And Max is clearly immortal and/or not actually human.

She's probably not breeding stock because she has a (birth?) defect. And no one understands the difference between a teratogen and a mutagen anymore.

If "guzzoline" is so fucking rare, you would think people would like for alternate means of transport than big rigs. Does no one have a Prius in Australia?

Not when the fallout/apocalypse happened! Though seriously, horses and camels are a thing.

It sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not. I just have a lot of feelings about this movie and I want to know more!

That seems reasonable to me. There were a few places when I went "really?". Overall though good movie. Plus flame thrower guitar and a man who clearly loves his job (shredding on a flamethrower guitar).

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri May 29, 2015 8:13 am

BrightEyes wrote:
Spoiler:
What was that silver shit the War Boys kept spraying in their faces? Some kind of narcotic or painkiller?

Spoiler:
Children / teenagers inhaling spray paint is a big problem in some parts of Australia, it's called chroming. I assume that's where Miller got the idea

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:31 pm

Bad Username wrote:
BrightEyes wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Children / teenagers inhaling spray paint is a big problem in some parts of Australia, it's called chroming. I assume that's where Miller got the idea

I cannot believe I didn't put that together sooner! I kept wondering why they were doing it too. Makes sense now.

We saw this on the weekend and it was intense - I felt exhausted at the end. I don't know that I 100% loved it, but it was visually crazy amazing and I loved that it was about Furiosa and not so much about Max.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:51 am

As much as I loved The Force Awakens, this was my favourite movie of 2015. It caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting anying of it, I was oblivious to the prerelease hype. Star Wars, I was hyped up from the day it was announced. In fact, this has been the best movie I've seen since it was released. My favourite action movie since Terminator 2.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top