Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  laddical on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 pm

bookworm wrote:I saw it this morning with unlimited pancakes and coffee.  There were some boring parts, and it needed a good editor.  I feel like superhero battle sequences have gone so OTT.  After a while they get so monotonous.  

So who was Lex Luther talking about with Batman at the end?  I'm not very familiar with DC like I am with Marvel.

Most likely Darkseid, tyrant of Apokolips. They've gotten away from it in recent years but his main thing was searching for something called the Anti-Life Equation that he discovered was on Earth. Now he's just a general big bad who's all about oppression and keeping the Hobbitses from being happy.

Trufax: Thanos is a shameless rip-off of Darkseid. But because of how the movies are being handled and coming out, everyone's going to assume the reverse.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 pm

I went to a screening last night of the documentary The First Monday In May, which followed the staff at The Met and Anna Wintour as they prepared for last year's Met Gala Ball and exhibit. It was really interesting and a nice look into both how an exhibit comes together and how fashion and celebrity intersect with art. Worth a look if you're interested in either of those two things.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm

I saw Keanu on the weekend. It was fantastic. Very Key and Peele. I was afraid it might just be a sketch that goes on too long, but it's actually got a really good plot, good characters, looks good. Plus, the cutest kitty ever. Highly recommend.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:41 pm

The Nice Guys was a lot of fun. It's not as consistent as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and the plot is maybe a bit wobbly at times, but the dialogue is snappy, the 70s vibe is spot on, Gosling and Crowe have great chemistry, and the supporting cast (Keith David, Jack Kilmer, Beau Knapp, Lois Smith, etc) are wonderful. Angourie Rice, as Gosling's 13 year old, in particular, was so good I thought she might have been a previously unknown Fanning sibling.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:53 pm

I agree, naughtyzoot, The Nice Guys was pretty good. I went into it with low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. Funny, kitschy, and a good crime caper all rolled into one.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:21 pm

I saw Love and Friendship today. I really enjoyed it. Kate Beckinsale was pitch perfect, and it was well paced. It was a bit racier than the actual novella. What was implied was more boldly asserted, but it was great all the same.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:12 pm

I also saw Love & Friendship, and found it hilarious and delightful, but yes the most ACIDIC Austen ever, it felt like her version of Dangeous Laisons, with Lady Susan as the Marquise or even Scarlet O'Hara. She's a great anti-heroin. "He's too old to be governable, but too young to die..."

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:04 am

Apparently the critics don't agree, but I found Now You See Me 2 to be just about as fun and ridiculous as the first. I'm sure that if I look at with my logic brain it all falls apart, but it was a perfectly enjoyable, disposable summer popcorn flick.

Last edited by naughty zoot on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:11 pm

I caught a prescreening of Central Intelligence and while it was really stupid, it was also a lot of fun. The Rock was pretty funny. I wouldn't have paid to see this in the theaters but if it was on cable I would watch.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:36 pm

naughty zoot wrote:Apparently the critics don't agree, but I found Now You See Me 2 to be just about as fun and ridicuclous as the first. I'm sure that if I look at with my logic brain it all falls apart, but it was a perfectly enjoyable, disposable summer popcorn flick.

I think the critics hated the original as well, but I loved it, so I am glad to hear you liked the sequel!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:14 am

Ghostbusters. I'd been dithering about it for a while, but finally decided to go. It's pretty good. Admittedly, some of the jokes are trying a little too hard for my taste, but I can live with that. Some of the CG isn't great either. Time and budget, maybe. While I don't plan to see it again in the cinema, I'd happily watch it again at home, where I could have a drink or two. I found the trailer to be a good representation of the movie. If you thought it looked good, or bad, or whatever, trust your judgement.

My childhood isn't ruined, it isn't a terrible remake, I was a little skeptical up until now. Actually, some of the backlash pushed me into seeing it. I'm secure enough in my masculinity that it isn't challenged by a bunch of women. In fact, the women may even have helped! All other factors being equal, women are generally better looking than men. This proved true in the case of Ghostbusters. Little things like that.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:32 pm

I felt like the actresses were great, they were funny, but the movie just spent too much time on fan service at the expense of the plot. The sequel would be better if they let the director do what he does best without all the baggage.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:47 pm

We saw Jason Bourne on Saturday night and it was fine. I could not stop being annoyed at the CONSTANT use of shaky cam, though. Paul Greengrass needs to STOP IT because my husband and I couldn't bloody see what was going on half the time because of it.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:39 am

It was fun, but bit repetitive. The scenes were really well choreographed and technically amazing, but the plot was so similar to previous movies that I honestly stopped paying attention to it.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:14 pm

There was much to love about Ghostbusters, but the most unexpected to me was Andy Garcia's performance as the mayor. Funny is not the way I usually think of him, but he was in this.

Absolutely Fabulous, on the other hand, was not. There were very funny bits, but it did not hold up overall. The whole bit about Saffy's daughter was almost entirely pointless, except for the one bit about the credit card, which just seemed like a really lazy way to advance that particular plot section. The whole experience was akin to going out with friends you've haven't spent time with in years, and then realizing, "oh yeah, that's why we stopped hanging out."
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:42 pm

bookworm wrote:It was fun, but bit repetitive.  The scenes were really well choreographed and technically amazing, but the plot was so similar to previous movies that I honestly stopped paying attention to it.

Agreed. Though I liked that Heather Lee's motives were a bit shady and that she played the game to get to the top.

I also feel that they could replace part of the soundtrack with The Lonely Man piano from The Incredible Hulk and it would fit well. Bourne does a lot of angsty walking.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:48 pm

bookworm wrote:It was fun, but bit repetitive. The scenes were really well choreographed and technically amazing, but the plot was so similar to previous movies that I honestly stopped paying attention to it.

I thought it was better than the reviews, but the total absence of a plot (or rather, copy/pasting the trilogy's plot, but badly) made it kind of boring. Like a Bourne movie on steroids, minus plot.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:19 am

I had only seen the first Bourne movie (which I admit I don't remember). So for me, it was fine. Kind of boring from a plot point of view, but I just could not stop getting annoyed with the shaky cam.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:09 am

I was in Vegas at Defcon when I saw it, so spontaneous laughter erupted around me when any reference to hacking was made. They really could have gotten a consultant to make it a little less ridiculous. Also, the insta-ENHANCE! must have been a CSI reference.

Also, Vikander was overall good (she can't help that her characters motivations were paper thin) but needs to work on her accent. Having a really good American accent was actually essential to the part as a cleared CIA employee who runs around talking about patriotism.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:43 am

So it turns out Pete's Dragon is totally charming. I particularly liked the running joke in which children notice things adults are oblivious to, but the serious little kids and the fluffy green dragon were delightful as well--I really liked the way Pete loved Elliott, but also wanted the human family. And Bryce Dallas Howard was very likable as the grownup trying to help. I especially enjoyed the moment when she is introduced to Elliott the dragon and is so overwhelmed she just bursts into tears. That struck me as EXACTLY the right reaction.

I may have cried a bunch too, at the ending, but it all worked out as happily as I hoped. Definitely worth seeing if you want your heart warmed.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Sully is good, but left me feeling like it was lacking a little something. I feel like it didn't impact me as much as I thought it would. Tom Hanks was good, as was the rest of the cast, but ultimately I thought the film was a little benign and that I was sort of waiting for the story to really get going most of the time.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Bridget Jones' Baby was an entertaining diversion on a Saturday afternoon. Pretty predictable but with some good laughs. I have to say, Renee Zellweger looked a lot better before her surgery. I kept thinking she looks a lot like Carrie Fisher now, which is fine because Carrie Fisher is awesome... but it made it a little harder to believe Zellweger as a woman of child-bearing years. (Also I kept wondering how Bridget could afford the obviously private healthcare she was getting for her antenatal care!)

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Saw The Magnificent 7, and it was ok.  I felt like it was trying so hard for every. single. moment. to have gravitas and meaning, so much that it was uneven and bloated at times.  I get the casual racism of the day was de rigueur, but after awhile it started to grate on my nerves.  And the stereotypes. Also, the heavy-handed religiosity with no direction.  It felt like religiosity for no real purpose but for this sounds/looks cool.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:56 pm

A friend and I saw Bad Moms last week and it was fun. It exceeded my low expectations, and while being nothing groundbreaking, it was a nice, funny film to watch with a girlfriend.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:20 pm

I agree on Magnificent Seven. Not nearly as good as Seven Samurai or the original Magnificent Seven. They both spent too little and too much time on each character, weirdly. Like assembling the team took forever and they each got a moment, but I didn't have any sense of their characters other than their one line description. "Former civil war sharpshooter with guilt." "Mexican guy with a warrant out on him." "Crazy forest guy." etc. Also
spoiler for ending:
the whole Chris Pratt epic sacrifice was so stupid. Like he would have been very, very dead by then. And it would have been more interesting for him to fail in his big epic moment and have someone else have come up from behind or something. The way it was I just rolled my eyes.

I saw Storks yesterday. It was cute. Not great, but cute. Definitely a lot of humor aimed at parents of young kids, which works for the audience, and it was bright and colorful and weird enough to probably entertain the kids too.
super tame spoiler:
I think the funniest reaction was when they're trying to get the baby to sleep and Junior says to Tulip, "You made her, you stay up with her"  and I heard several dads in the audience give a wincing "ooooo."

My biggest objection is that having the credits with babies representing each character really highlighted how the core production crew were all men.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top