Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Binky on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:02 pm

I haven't read the book, eventide, but the movie sounds faithful to what you're describing.

I think DiCaprio is an amazing actor. I am not thrilled with his role choices recently. I don't think he's Oscar-hunting, so much as extreme-role hunting. But he's a good enough actor that he doesn't need to be attacked by a bear/wolf of wallstreet to turn in a great performance. I don't know if I'll end up seeing The Revenant.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 am

A couple of friends and I went to see Brooklyn last night. Based on the trailers I was expecting An Immigrant Discovers America, which is a storyline of intermittent interest to me. It turned out to be A Young Woman Discovers Herself, which I liked very much. (Also? A British/Irish/Quebecois movie about an Irish woman moving to Brooklyn pretty much HAD to be worth seeing.) It was one of those stories where you can see the beginning and think you know the ending, but the distance from Point A to Point B surprised me and by about the three-quarter mark I was reconsidering my assumptions about the ending too. It was full of characters I liked very much, especially Saoirse Ronan and Jim Broadbent's.

When I got home I sent emails recommending it to several people, particularly my parents if it comes to their town, and assuring Dad (who last went to The Revenant and cordially disliked it) that nobody at all gets eaten by a bear. I frankly think this one is much more up his alley!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:59 pm

We saw Brooklyn this past weekend and agree it was very good! Ms. Ronan is a very talented actress. And Julie Walters stole all her scenes!

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:20 pm

By the time I realized Brooklyn had finally made its way down to my town, it was literally the last day it played here. I was really disappointed, because it looks like something I'll really enjoy. Things come out on DVD and streaming so quickly these days, but I'm really a movie theater person, so I was bummed to miss my chance.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:57 pm

I watched Room last night and loved it. I thought the performances were great, and it was a really fantastic adaptation of the book. I would love for it to win Best Picture this year.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:18 am

I finally saw Spotlight. I knew I would like it but wow. Just so well done. And maybe I extra loved it because they so captured the feeling of Boston and the culture here. I was never even remotely Catholic, but I remember the time when the story was coming out, and I know those type of guys like the ones at BC High, and they really captured it so well. (And for anyone who's seen it, have you checked out the interviews with the actual reporters? Because the actors nailed it.)

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:13 am

Speaking of Oscar nominees, I saw The Big Short the other day and it was a DELIGHT. For a movie about a very infuriating topic, it was incredibly enjoyable. I'm not sure it deserves an Oscar--in fact, it probably doesn't--but it is very well-made, feels original, and is a very interesting approach to the topic. Highly recommend.

Still want Mad Max to win though. It won't, but I wish it would.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:18 pm

We watched The Big Short last week as well and enjoyed it, though we did have to stop it a couple of times and google exactly what some of the things were that they were talking about. I understood what they were doing, and appreciated the narration and camera-asides that explained things, but there were a couple of points I just couldn't get my head around! It was good, but I felt a little like it kept going and going and going to a particular place, and once it got there that was the end, which was a little frustrating.

We also watched Spotligh last night and I thought it was excellent. A really great, well-paced story on a topic that is difficult to watch told from the investigative reporting side that was riveting for me.

I just need to watch Brooklyn, and I'll have seen all 8 of the Best Picture nominees. At this stage, I'm really hoping Spotlight takes the award. I think it's been the best all-around film - cast, story, writing, direction. I feel like it just hit every note perfectly.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:38 pm

eventide82 wrote:We watched The Big Short last week as well and enjoyed it, though we did have to stop it a couple of times and google exactly what some of the things were that they were talking about. I understood what they were doing, and appreciated the narration and camera-asides that explained things, but there were a couple of points I just couldn't get my head around! It was good, but I felt a little like it kept going and going and going to a particular place, and once it got there that was the end, which was a little frustrating.

I did like the device of using someone entertaining to drop the heavy exposition on you with. Margot Robbie in the Bathtub can explain challenging financial concepts to me anytime.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:17 am

Heh, yeah that was a very clever plot device. I made my husband stop when Selena Gomez was at the blackjack table so we could google a couple of things, but it was definitely a smart way to explain things.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 am

I went to Zootopia last night, and found it just as much fun as the reviews promised. Judy Hopps, bunny cop overcoming internal and external prejudice, was darling, the details were great fun, and I loved everything about the crime boss and his world. Also, Shakira as a pop star named Gazelle was fun, and the concert scene over the end credits featured her singing with a troupe of male dancers played by tigers who all looked like Channing Tatum, and once I spotted the resemblance I couldn't unsee it, which was fun.

Definitely just the thing on an end-of-winter Friday night.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:18 am

Saw Hail Caesar with my mother having seen the "Would that it were" trailer and laughing uproariously. However, the film itself was a bit of a let-down. I can't put my finger on quite why it didn't work for me, but the parody/pastiche element wasn't nearly as clever as Singing in the Rain was over 60 years ago.

Having said that, Alden Ehrenrich stole the movie as the cowboy, being completely committed and believable (and hilarious) in the role. I'll be shocked if this movie isn't a star-maker for him.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Batman vs Superman. It has not been getting great reviews, and considering that the studio has blocked reviews until now, it seems they were expected. I liked it though. I'm not a huge Zak Snyder fan, and at the beginning there was all this slow-mo, per his usual style, and I was eye-rolling pretty hard, but it stopped as the movie went on.

A few good things: Wonder Woman, obviously. Gal Godot was a great choice. WW had all of 16 lines in the movie apparently, but she showed up a few times before the big fight scene, so she didn't just come down out of nowhere. The cheesy 'Is she with you' 'I thought she was with you' lines work better in the whole scene than they do in the trailer.

Ben Affleck was great as Batman. I was sceptical at first, but now I'm a believer. A benliever, even. The super-armoured Batsuit was great.

The CGI didn't suck, so that's something.

Lois Lane. Amy Adams is great in the role.

A few so-so things: The editing and pacing was a bit off, it felt kind of choppy, but they did have to tell a pretty long story with a few different storylines. Batman's motivation for not killing Superman and for allying with him was a bit weak. Some reviews have called it a bloated mess, but I wasn't bored at all. The movie's kind of grim, but I don't expect humour from a Zak Snyder film. It's also not subtle, but again, it doesn't matter. It's a big, heavy-handed, 2.5 hour theological debate with spandex, and that's okay (with me, anyway).

Spoiler:
Based on two different parts of the movie I can see future Justice League movies following either the Final Crisis storyline or the Flashpoint one. Bruce Wayne has a dream about a post-apocalyptic future with parademons supporting Superman, and Lex Luthor makes reference to someone already being on their way, so I'm thinking the next bad guy will be Darkseid. But Bruce also had a visit from someone who I'm guessing is future Flash, so Flashpoint is also a possibility. Wonder Woman, Batman, Cyborg, Aquaman, and the Flash are the main characters of Flashpoint, and they're also the characters who were seen in this movie

ETA: There's a scene at a party where Lex Luthor is giving some disjointed story about Prometheus and Zeus, and Diana gives a little eyeroll and headshake. Assuming she has had first-hand experience with Zeus I thought it was a funny touch.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:49 pm

We went to the midnight screening last night and yes, it's a long film that could do with some editing because once they get past all the extra bits that are added in to the first act and it actually gets going, it's quite compelling in its own way. It's loud, it's got a lot of fight scenes (yay, said my mother who enjoys seeing people duke it out on the movie screen), but it's not the colossal piece of rubbish that some reviewers seem to have gotten personally offended by. I do think that Snyder should be talking more to James Cameron and not Christopher Nolan if he's looking to really deliver in the special fx/action movie genre because he's good visually but speaking as someone who has the annotated screenplay to Terminator 2 (a prize possession purchased on a random trip to Woolworth's in Newry NI back in 1992 - oh the excitement)
Spoiler:
where Cameron says that he took out a second dream sequence from the film because he felt it was one too many and that it lessened the impact of the first one, well Snyder should take that to heart because while that second sequence where Batman was under attack from Superman's army, it went on a little long for all that it was a kind of vision). And really, if we've seen Batman's parents get killed (again) at the start of the film, we don't need him to show it to us again in slo-mo when he hears the word Martha. I have no doubt my thoughts will be taken on board by the filmmakers. *sniffs imperiously*

I thought Amy Adams and Gal Gadot were very good and for all the talk about GG not being Wonder Woman-esque, I thought when she finally gets the chance to unleash hell, she does so with aplomb. Cavill was good too for all that he had to look conflicted with furrowed brow. The movie is essentially a Batman flick co-starring Superman, which I'm a little pissy about because I prefer the character of Superman and would have enjoyed him getting a sequel as opposed to being used to set up Justice League flicks while Batman is getting a standalone film as well. But there you go.

TL;DR: it's not to everyone's taste but not as bad as some reviews would have you believe. (Seriously, what is up with the vitriol heaped on this film. Obviously, if someone hates something, that's their prerogative but it's the level of hate that has me WTF? Also, I'm over think pieces by anybody with a keyboard ranting about this film or Man of Steel. I'm so not interested when people shout their opinion via the internets as though it were fact. (This isn't a think piece, it's a forum post so I'm in the clear. ;-)))

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:50 pm

The only good thing about revisiting the Batman origin story *again* is that this time, for the first time, the focus was on how losing Martha affected Bruce. It wasn't handled well - Lex's "MarthaMarthaMartha" "joke" was aimed at the wrong Martha (did you know that Martha Wayne's name was Martha? Because I didn't catch it when Thomas said it was Martha, or when Bruce visited her grave and it had "Martha Wayne" written on it, or when Thomas saying it was Martha was shown again later). But considering that Nolan and Schumacher completely ignored her and Burton treated the whole event as an unimportant afterthought except for the Joker's involvement, having Bruce reflect on losing his mother for a change was nice.

I loved what I loved and hated what I hated. The net is that I enjoyed the movie but probably won't revisit it very often (whereas I've seen "Man of Steel" several times in just the last year) and other than this post have almost no interest in talking about it with anyone because, like the Prequels or the Matrix sequels, no one ever wants to talk about what they like, they just want to stew on what they hate.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:03 am

laddical wrote:I loved what I loved and hated what I hated. The net is that I enjoyed the movie but probably won't revisit it very often.

This is about where I am. There were several things I had problems with, but there were also parts that worked.

One thing-- the shot of
Spoiler:
the gun catching the pearls
was the Zach Snyderiest of shots, and I mean that in the best way. I understand people's issues with him as a director, but he does do a great job with crafting individual images.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:28 am

QueenSix wrote:TL;DR: it's not to everyone's taste but not as bad as some reviews would have you believe. (Seriously, what is up with the vitriol heaped on this film.  Obviously, if someone hates something, that's their prerogative but it's the level of hate that has me WTF? Also, I'm over think pieces by anybody with a keyboard ranting about this film or Man of Steel. I'm so not interested when people shout their opinion via the internets as though it were fact. (This isn't a think piece, it's a forum post so I'm in the clear. ;-)))

Right? I'm baffled by the apparently universally bad reviews it's getting, and I wonder if the critics either don't know the history of Batman and Superman, and understand that they have had an antagonistic relationship at times, or if they just have a grudge against Zack Snyder, and/or hate this movie because it's not the Dark Knight trilogy.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:50 pm

Now Variety have an article about how the film made money despite the critics not liking it and now asks if critics are becoming irrelevant. My answer to that is that no, criticism is not irrelevant but the art of film critique that's prevalent today reads like someone hammering out a few thousand words with no real interest in the medium. Which sounds snobby and I don't mean they all have to have film degrees or some kind of high faluting masters but a lot of reviews for this are coming across as I HATES IT SO IT IS THE WORST EVER. Like, just because they get published by an online magazine doesn't make their opinion better than mine. And the ones that try for snarky and hilarious need to try harder.

I would like to see them make a better use of Superman and for him to have his own feckin' movie, thanks, but whatever. Until the day I run Warner Bros and get to call the shots (any day now I expect), I'll just have to rely on the interpretation of others on the big screen.

Interesting though, none of us have mentioned that particular character ending and how it sets [redacted] for appearing in Justice League flicks...

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:29 am

On that redacted....:
The only question is how much his story in Justice League will draw on "Reign of the Supermen" or whether they'll abandon that entirely and have his resurrection happen some other way. I personally would love some "Reign", but the Snyderverse has neither the emotional heft or the backstory to make that happen properly (not that it stopped them here). I mean, a well executed Steel not played by Shaq? I want that. But "well executed" hasn't really been a phrase I associate with Snyder, so....
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:03 am

Saw BvS this afternoon. For a movie with a lot of fight scenes I was really bored. A few times I had trouble staying awake. It really did drag and I agree upthread that Batman's sudden about face regarding Superman was weak.
Spoiler:
"Martha" is his safe word.
Who knew?

Wonder Woman was the best even with her little screentime. The music accompanying her during the fight scene was great.

I was not a fan of quippy Millennial Lex Luthor. Granted not every Lex can be good as Clancy Brown's animated Lex or even Michael Rosenbaum's but that was not the direction I wanted him to go. If at the end of the movie they'd said he really wasn't Lex, that his father was the real Lex Luthor and this was just his bratty kid pretending to be him, I would have bought it. He was more Joker than Lex. I was hoping the trailers were wrong about that portrayal but nope, that's what we got.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:56 am

It didn't occur to me until a few days later, but in the comics around the time of the first Doomsday story, Lex was actually pretending to be his own son, Lex Luthor, Jr., via cloning/mind transfer because his original body was dying of cancer (that he had given himself by wearing a Kryptonite ring which, while not immediately harmful to humans, is still a radioactive substance). Then, when that body started to decay for reasons and Lois and Clark had proof that he was the original Lex in a new body, he went completely off the rails and destroyed half of Metropolis. So yes. In addition to being crazy pants because of his communion with the New Gods, he could also be having a mental breakdown from defective cloning and he'll eventually find a way to fix himself and get "back" to being the "real" Lex Luthor.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:02 pm

I saw it this morning with unlimited pancakes and coffee. There were some boring parts, and it needed a good editor. I feel like superhero battle sequences have gone so OTT. After a while they get so monotonous.

So who was Lex Luther talking about with Batman at the end? I'm not very familiar with DC like I am with Marvel.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Saw The Boss today. It is ridiculously bonkers. Fairly funny and well worth the $5 I paid to see it.

Spoiler:
Peter Dinklage has a fairly prominant role,
which was a surprise to us as they were not in the trailers at all.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:56 pm

I hope it's as ridiculous and surprisingly hilarious as Spy was. If so, I'm gonna park my ass in a theater seat to check it out soon!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Spy is definitely the better movie. This one has a plot, but it seems more an excuse for the ridiculousness than anything. I liked it though!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top