DC Cinematic Universe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DC Cinematic Universe

Post  bookworm on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Since there were a flurry of trailers at Comic-Con, I guess all these movies need a thread.

My thoughts after seeing the Justice League and Wonder Woman trailers:

* Please keep Zach Snyder as far away as possible from Wonder Woman as possible.  Please
* Her shoes looked stupid, IMHO.  Other than that, loved the whole trailer.
* Taking Superman out of the equation seems to have improved the Justice League movie.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post  PirateCatarina on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:59 am

As someone who didn't care at all for Man of Steel or Batman v Superman, I can honestly say that I was so very impressed by both Justice League and Wonder Woman trailers. Not seeing David Goyer's name on the writing credits gave me a lot of hope.

I totally agree about the lack of Superman being a good thing for that Justice League trailer. Obviously he'll have to be in the movie and I want him to be a good part of the team, but they seriously need to do some positive character development there.

I will have to respectfully disagree about her boots because at least they aren't 4" spike heels.

PirateCatarina

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:06 am

PirateCatarina wrote:I will have to respectfully disagree about her boots because at least they aren't 4" spike heels.

True. I just think any kind of heel on a superhero's shoes seems silly. Look at me, apply logic to a universe with Amazons and people who fly.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:38 pm

So, did anyone else go see Suicide Squad out of curiosity? I had a free movie so I decided I should see something that I wouldn't be bitter about spending money on, and I think it was a good choice. There were so many things wrong with the character development, the plot, and the world building, I'm not even sure where to start. Also, it was like the director watched all the previous Batman movies, decided Batman Forever was where the movies hit their high-water mark and decided that's what he'd like to emulate. And Batman Forever wasn't the worst of all Batman movies, nor did I think Suicide Squad was the worst of the DC movies I've seen in the last 20 years (I'm looking at you, Superman Returns), but it wasn't great. I think the actors were trying hard, though, as much as she manic-pixied the hell out of her role, Margot Robbie needs to work on the accent. Sometimes it was Bronx, sometimes it was generic American, and sometimes it was straight up Down Under. But I am glad she's getting her own film, because if they can make her less about her love for the Joker (that never did get properly explained), she'd be an interesting character.

But I really, really hope Wonder Woman is better than the first three movies of this universe have been. Because I love that character, both historically and what Gal Gadot was doing in BvS, and I really don't want to see her ruined.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:36 pm

I could spend hours tearing Suicide Squad apart, and yet... I enjoyed it. I mean, clearing the bar set by BvS was no challenge, and there is so very very much wrong with the movie (most of it, IMO, having to do with Jared Leto and the Joker). And yet, at the end of it, I would say I was entertained. Certainly have no desire to revisit it unless they do another cut with all of the Joker stuff either put in or taken out completely, whereas I watch the Marvel movies all the time. But yeah... I really hope Wonder Woman is what I want it to be.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:34 am

We saw it. It was OK. It was an enjoyable summer movie, but that have primarily been from the giant ice cream cone I had in the theater. I have listened to the soundtrack on Spotify a ridiculous number of times though.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 pm

I saw it, but MAN is it so structurally flawed. Like laddical, I could go on and on....

But I was entertained, so... hey.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:33 pm

I finally saw Suicide Squad today as well and it was very disappointing. And this was me going in prepared for something not stellar but hey, I own Dracula 2001 on DVD so it's not like I have a purist attitude to movies.

I wasn't too impressed with the choice of the Big Bad. I honestly thought it belonged in a different film. I kept getting Ghostbuster vibes and if someone had popped up and said "Are you the keymaster?" or mentioned Zuul, I'd have probably cheered. The pacing seemed a bit off too. I mean, I wasn't sitting there thinking that I should leave because I thought Will Smith and Margot Robbie and Viola Davis were great - loved Amanda Waller! - but that was about it. And Old Puddin' himself was grand
Hidden in case anyone feels really strongly about the details of this movie:
but I thought he was going to be the Big Bad and then he wasn't, it was a CGI Cara Delevingne who kept waving about like she was doing an interpretative dance and I found it very hard to consider her a threat to anything
. And I wouldn't let Joel Kinnaman lead me to the supermarket on a foggy night, much less lead a team against great foes because he just didn't sell me on the idea that he was a crack soldier or that he was competent in anything!

Other than that, it was grand. But I'm glad I never went to the trouble of going to a midnight screening or paid full price to see this because I'd have been very cross with myself then.

I hope Warners/DC sort themselves out movie wise.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:50 am

Wonder Woman was AMAAAAAAAZING!!! I really really loved it. I'm sort of coming down off the excitement, so I'm sure as I think about some of the shine will come off. Not much though. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me hurl (maybe not that last one). Themyscira is beautiful, I almost teared up when I saw the first shots of the Amazons training. In my defense, I skipped breakfast. The fight scenes were good, well-choreographed, with just a touch of Snyder slo-mo, and not shaky with the quick cuts that seem to be popular now. There were maybe two 'iz pasted on yay' moments with CGI in the fighting, but they were super quick and didn't ruin things or make the movie seem cheap. Ares looked super cool. I saw Gadot and Pine described as 'charming' in a review, and that describes them perfectly.

Spoiler:
My only real complaint is that Diana never really questions the position of human women in 'Man's World'. There's a Native American among Steve Trevor's Howling Commandos, sorry, group of merry men (I don't think they had a name), and from him she learns about their genocide. It's part of her becoming jaded about humanity and finding it within herself to fight for them anyway. IMO all Diana needed to see that 'mankind' was not as good and pure as she had been taught her whole life was how womankind had been treated for thousands of years. Etta even mentions women getting the vote, and Diana doesn't bite. She comes from a place with a Queen, an all-female Senate, and an all-female army, and she doesn't wonder (heh) why there were no women in the war room? It's probably my only complaint. Oh, and who the diddly was Ludendorf supposed to be? He should have been named 'Fehlgeleitet' after his only purpose.

In other news, Zack Snyder has stepped away from Justice League after his daughter sadly committed suicide earlier this year. Joss Whedon is taking over the heavy lifting. In any other circumstances I would be happy with this, even though Age of Ultron felt kind of phoned in, or Patty Jenkins, because WW was that good. This is just really sad, that poor family.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Everyone keeps talking about how awesome Wonder Woman is and now I'm even more annoyed at my husband for not wanting to see it today. I have no idea what's wrong with him. We were already at the movies! We could have squeezed in another one but nooooooooo, he was tired.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top