Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football

+41
killershrew
particle_person
Shadowlass
tothemax
naughty zoot
Poubelle
mialoubug
oxymoron
Arabella
NewYorkStranger
Herinice
Raised by wolves
Matinee
Miss Moneypenny
sunni94
mrinsouciance
Never Enough
bookworm
Kookla
laddical
nazlan
TiffanyNichelle
Binky
puddingcup
big chicken
RiverThames
blooey
maxell131313
PrincessCleo
boutros boutros kitty
Lady V
year of the cat
jstilwe
dinahmoe
biakbiak
Algae
Jasmine
truecrystal
The Dude
jcpdiesel21
blixie
45 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Football      Empty Football

Post  blixie Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:39 am

What an ending to the Sparty Wisconsin game. HELL YEAH! Sparty On!! They tried to piss away a well played game, but that crazy deflection saved the day.

The NFL footboare will NEVER compare to the adrenanline of College ball. Never.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Football      Empty Re: Football

Post  jcpdiesel21 Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:34 pm

I saw the ending to that game! It was IN. SANE!
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:04 pm

I've got a Tebowner!
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Tim was Tebowed pretty good today! Maybe now folks will stop anointing him the next John Elway. Probably not though.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:44 am

I only followed it on my cell phone this weekend, but that was awesome. I got to root for the Lions and see Tebow trounced.

Now if only Sparty hadn't killed my soul with that penalty filled, offensive face plant of a loss.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 am

Got to love McGahee going right up to the Black Hole and giving them the salute.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss it, but everything about the Penn State story that came out this weekend is sickening.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Jasmine wrote:I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss it, but everything about the Penn State story that came out this weekend is sickening.

I just heard Penn State scandal and I figured it was the usual: some player taking money from a booster. Then I heard about the details and was like "Holy Shit!". It has to be bad to shock everyone throughly jaded by college scandals.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 am

I've noticed no one is talking about. Not because they haven't heard about it or because they don't believe it, but it's simply beyond being able to talk about. It's like we're all still processing it.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:26 pm

I just heard Penn State scandal and I figured it was the usual: some player taking money from a booster. Then I heard about the details and was like "Holy Shit!". It has to be bad to shock everyone throughly jaded by college scandals.

Me too!

The NY Times is reporting that Paterno's exit has been negotiated and will be announced shortly.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Algae wrote:I've noticed no one is talking about. Not because they haven't heard about it or because they don't believe it, but it's simply beyond being able to talk about. It's like we're all still processing it.
I agree. It's overwhelming. I read the court document, and the lack of accountability is staggering. That they to this day don't even know the identity of the child witnessed by the AD is astounding.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 pm

I don't even know what to say. I have a lot of love for JoePa and a lot of respect for what he did with the program and his players, so to have this in all likelihood be the capper on his career is just overwhelmingly sad to me. I want to make excuses, but there aren't any, if the grand jury report is factual (and I'm sure it is).

I just don't understand how NOBODY thought to call the authorities on this guy at any point. Not the grad student (who is widely rumored to still be working for the team, although I don't know if that's been confirmed), not Joe, not the janitor who witnessed another incident, none of the university staff who were told of the allegations, etc etc. If I recall correctly, there were 3 eyewitness accounts of abuse, and not once did the cops get called in. It just blows my mind.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:02 pm

jstilwe wrote:I don't even know what to say. I have a lot of love for JoePa and a lot of respect for what he did with the program and his players, so to have this in all likelihood be the capper on his career is just overwhelmingly sad to me. I want to make excuses, but there aren't any, if the grand jury report is factual (and I'm sure it is)
The fact that it's Paterno is part of makes this so disillusioning. He was litterally the last coach in college football you would expect this from.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:09 am

What sickens me, is this is a ripped-from-the- headlines story on L&O:SVU from last year. They only changed it from football to a basketball program, but the profile of the older, white haired Kindly abuser using the underprivledged sponsorship program, the locker room stuff, away games, goes back decades unreported, etc. IT AIRED ON A FICTIONAL TV SHOW BEFORE PENN STATE DID A DAMN THING. I don't know why I'm suprised, the rape culture on my campus athletic program was an atrocious open secret that never was prosecuted beyond the allegation stage. Colleges cannot police themselves without a conflict of interest occuring.
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:15 am

jstilwe wrote: If I recall correctly, there were 3 eyewitness accounts of abuse, and not once did the cops get called in. It just blows my mind.

Yeah, that blows my mind too. The guy wasn't even employed there so I have no idea why the first call any school employee witness would make would be to school administrators instead of the police. Like, what could they do, fire him?

But as disgusting and disheartening as all this is, I have to admit that I'm not all that surprised by the cover up. I mean, I don't understand why someone didn't call the cops first, but once the decision was made to involve school administrators instead of the cops, I'm not surprised that's as far as it went. I am so cynical when it comes to big time college sports--especially football-- and the secrecy of what goes on to Protect the Program at all costs, and I'm not talking about NCAA violations. I'm talking criminal activity. Like year of the cat mentioned, girls being offered up as sexual favors. Verbal abuse. Physical bullying. It goes on all the time, and sometimes the authorities are complicit in the cover up as well.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady V Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:21 am

year of the cat wrote:What sickens me, is this is a ripped-from-the- headlines story on L&O:SVU from last year. They only changed it from football to a basketball program, but the profile of the older, white haired Kindly abuser using the underprivledged sponsorship program, the locker room stuff, away games, goes back decades unreported, etc. IT AIRED ON A FICTIONAL TV SHOW BEFORE PENN STATE DID A DAMN THING.
Sadly that episode was inspired by another real life incident - http://nymag.com/news/sports/bob-oliva-2011-3/

What I don't get about all these eye witnesses is their initial reaction to the abuse. If I saw a child getting raped, I think my first instinct would've been to yell, "What the f*** are you doing?!" and pull that man off the child or at the very least, call the police right away.

Lady V

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:34 am

Not calling the cops is so outer limits (or you know whacking him on the head with a wrench), but in the worst instincts of human nature way I get it. In the twisted world that is big time collegiate sports, school/team officials are *the authorities*. The grad student told Joe Pa, and Joe Pa told Curley, there's a whole I did my part not my fault thing happening there, that is epic failure, but unsurprising.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks, I looked for the ep. link and couldn't find it.
God that was so creepy, and I guess reading these new accounts triggered it. Still, imagine sitting on information all these years, with every political scandal, every church scandal story, and not going, "hmmm. I wonder who that ten year old kid is" . Or where he is. I could never do that.
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:09 am

The guy wasn't even employed there so I have no idea why the first call any school employee witness would make would be to school administrators instead of the police. Like, what could they do, fire him?

If you are referring to the graduate assistant who witnessed the incident it 2002, he worked for the football team, it's a job (a highly coveted one for people who want to have a coaching career), not that it an anyway mitigates his responsibility to call the police or as blixie pointed out fucking intervene. He was a 28 year old man and a child was being raped and his first thought was to run to his office and call his daddy?

The grad assistant in question has been identified as Mike McQuery who grew up in State College, played at Penn State, and is currently their wide receivers coach.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:16 am

That's the thing I can't get past -- how is your reaction to go to your boss instead of straight to the police? It's just bonkers. I can see calling Joe Paterno to give him a heads up about the situation, but you do that after you've called the cops, not before. And then to stick with the program, most likely seeing Sandusky around campus on a regular basis? I am boggled.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:38 am

The Penn. Attn. General set up a hotline for more potential victims to come forward: twenty more have. I want to hurl.
ETA: The coach under investigation is the one who was not the Penn St. employee-he was retired at the time of the attack witnessed by the grad student coach.

Last edited by year of the cat on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  boutros boutros kitty Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:54 am

My dad is a sportswriter, and I told him tonight how glad I am that he doesn't have to cover Penn State right now. I can't imagine how the non-involved people in the athletic department are feeling right now. Terrible doesn't begin to describe it.

boutros boutros kitty

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:13 am

year of the cat wrote:The coach under investigation is the one who was not the Penn St. employee-he was retired at the time of the attack witnessed by the grad student coach.

Yes, that's the guy I was referring to, Sandusky himself.

The magnitude of this thing is staggering. According to this article, apparently the charity he founded knew back in 1998 he was under investigation:

That, however, was at least the third time in 10 years that the organization had been made aware of allegations involving Mr. Sandusky's contacts with children. The organization knew in 1998 that Mr. Sandusky was investigated for alleged sexual misconduct in a Penn State shower involving a different boy from the program, according to a presentment by a statewide investigating grand jury.

State College attorney Wendell V. Courtney was apprised of the investigation in 1998 because he was then counsel for Penn State and for The Second Mile. He has not responded to interview requests. That investigation, by university police, was closed when the Centre County district attorney's office decided not to file charges.

It's crazy to think about how many people about this and did nothing.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:27 am

It's crazy to think about how many people about this and did nothing.

It's unbelievably gross, and it's reminding me of a much MUCH smaller scale incident with Graham James, who also was generally known to be into young boys in the Canadian amateur hockey system and wasn't busted for it until Sheldon Kennedy came forward. Canada actually pardoned the creep, even though new victims were still coming forward in 2007. Luckily he's back in custody facing even MORE charges from all the yeas no one talked about it, but GOD.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:49 pm

The coach under investigation is the one who was not the Penn St. employee-he was retired at the time of the attack witnessed by the grad student coach.

While he was retired, he was still a very big part of the Penn program (alum and had been a coach for over 30 years) and was at the facilities quite frequently because of a program he ran there. The only reason he retired is he realize Paterno was never going to and therefore he was never going to be a head coach.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum