Saturday Night Live

Page 2 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Saturday Night Live

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:09 pm

I thought that it was a weak episode in terms of most of the writing, but bless the cast for selling the material for all that it was worth, and with little support from the host. Don't get me wrong: huge Buscemi fan, here. He's just not suited for sketch comedy.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  bloomtoperish on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm excited for Robyn next week. Katy Perry...not so much. Might be the only time I fast forward through sketches to get to the musical performances, rather than the other way around.

Dec. 17 is Jimmy Fallon and I can't. freaking. wait. Four person Weekend Update with Fallon, Fey, Poehler, and Meyers? Please?

This episode was pretty good once it got past the cold open. Armisen as Obama is awful. Like Eris said, I don't think Buscemi is suited for sketch comedy but I still enjoyed him overall. Loved the Miley Cyrus Show sketch, as always (with bonus Maya Rudolph!)

I was thinking while watching this episode that this current cast is pretty solid. The featured players are really getting a chance to shine and I just find everyone so enjoyable. I'm tired of Wiig's one-note characters, though I enjoy her work outside of SNL. And Armisen grates my nerves sometimes but for the most part I do like him.

bloomtoperish

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I feel like Armisen isn't even trying with Obama anymore. He's just saying lines. I mean, his energy is right, but other than that, it's not anything near approaching an impersonation the way any one else has done any kind of political impersonation on this show.

The rest of the episode was pretty good, though, I thought --it helps that Buscemi was a pro. I really liked the digital short.
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:22 pm

I thought that Steve Buscemi was fun, even though in the tradition of recent hosts he was given far too little to do and mostly played secondary characters. That is, until the very last sketch, where he was freaking hilarious with his random and bizarre descriptions of the Christmas ornaments.

I was tickled to see Bill Hader reprise his Keith Morrison impression with the Dateline sketch. There hasn't been one of these in forever, and while it was way too long, that is one sketch where Hader's line readings make me giggle uncontrollably.

Kristen Wiig's surprise-loving character of Sue: another that needs to die. Quickly.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:35 pm

I just netflixed the Shweaty Balls episode and Jimmy Fallon did a ghost of Christmas future bit during Alec Baldwin's monologue where he was hosting SNL in 2011, but they were off by a week.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:16 pm

I think I may tune in tonight, just to see how much of a trainwreck Katy Perry's attempt at comedy will be. (Also, Robyn's pretty great.)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:29 am

Robyn's pretty great
But what the hell was she wearing?
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Not great by any stretch of the imagination, but there were some flashes of near-genius here and there. J-Pop delivered ("If there's such a thing as a loving version of racism, you've found it" sums up so much of fandom), and that bizarre Moynihan/Perry sketch towards the end made me giggle uncontrollably. Stefon was as good as expected (Hell, Hader is always good, even when the material isn't), and I enjoyed Wiig's new "flirting instructor" character. Also a good digital short. The rest was a bit of a mess. The Queen/Prince Philip sketch was weaker than usual, and wasn't helped by Perry's lack of timing. Also, for the first time in a very long time, I actively hated a Keenan sketch. Sorry, Thompson, but your Rev. Al was getting sympathy laughs, not the real ones that you seemed to think....
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:36 pm

I don't like her music, either, but wow, Perry is a stiff and awful actress.

Was that Matt Damon and Val Kilmer in the digital short?
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Definitely Kilmer, didn't notice Damon.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Damon was the homeless meth addict -- I love it when celebrities randomly pop up like that.
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:41 am

Loved the Digital Short this week; it was fun, the song was ridiculously catchy and Kilmer and Damon taking part while doing such despicable things raised it up a notch.

Hooray for Stefon! A Fish Called Kwanzaa, HA.

I didn't really care for Alec Baldwin's segment on Weekend Update. I get what he was going for, and in theory it should have been really funny, but I was rolling my eyes throughout because I find him to be an entitled, egotistical ass who deserved to get thrown off of that plane.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:19 am

Damon was the homeless meth addict
Right. I missed the first part of the video first time around.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Liev Schreiber was Abe Lincoln.

And Robyn's keyboardist looked like Ron Swanson.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:32 pm

I knew that there would be a nostalgia factor and a good chance of walk-ons last night, but I didn't realize that it would involve nearly everyone who either doesn't have a job or still works in the same building. The Weekend Update four-anchor two-team joke-off was amazing, since it represented nearly fifteen years of anchors. Hell, I even gave a little cheer for the stupid Christmas song, even though I was heartily sick of the tune by the time that Horatio Sanz left...speaking of which, I was even surprisingly glad to see him doing well. Nostalgia filter in action.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  bloomtoperish on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:11 pm

That episode was soooo fun. I don't think I stopped smiling the entire time. The four anchor Update Joke-Off is one of my favorite things ever, on the list with the time the four of them played Charades together on Jimmy's show. (NBC seems to have taken down all the Charades videos from the internet because they hate happiness).

bloomtoperish

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I loved this episode. Even sketches that normally annoy worked tonight. I think my favorite sketch was Beethoven introducing the band. Because everyone's facial expressions were so funny and the whole thing was so random that it got me. And Weekend Update was epic.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:43 pm

With the exception of a couple of weak skits that went on far too long, this was a really strong episode. I have never been a fan of Jimmy Fallon, but he's done well for himself with his late night show and had an enjoyable exuberance about getting a chance to host. His line in the opening monologue where he listed the biggest sketches he's been a part of and admitted that he laughed and ruined all of them won him a bit of goodwill from me. And his impressions of Sting, Justin Bieber and Russell Brand were spot-on and very funny.

Weekend Update was tremendous. I loved the Joke-Off with all four most recent anchors, especially the increasingly goofy noises that they made while buzzing in. And I laughed all the way through the "In the Cage" segment. I love how absurd Andy Samberg's version of Nicolas Cage is. It would be a dream come true if the show could score Cage as a host sometime in the near future and featured him in this segment.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:50 am

I really enjoyed the end with all of them down at the ice skating rink. They all seemed so happy - except Chris Kattan, who seemed determined not to fall down. I especially loved Will Arnett just nonchalantly breaking away from the group and doing his thing in the background. I also couldn't help but think "these are Leslie Knope clothes!" when I saw Amy Poehler in her winter gear.

Something rather unrelated: Taran Killam killed me as Tim Tebow. So did Horatio Sanz playing Mozart on his tuba.
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:38 pm

bbridges wrote:I loved this episode. Even sketches that normally annoy worked tonight. I think my favorite sketch was Beethoven introducing the band. Because everyone's facial expressions were so funny and the whole thing was so random that it got me. And Weekend Update was epic.
That was my favorite too. That shit was just HILARIOUS to me for some reason. Tim Tebow was also really funny (Taran Killam was awesome). And of course I loved seeing Sully and Zazoo. Fantastic episode.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Daniel Radcliffe is going to host on January 14. I think he'll be one of the guest hosts who is game for anything so hopefully the writing is good.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:36 pm

If his episode of Extras is any indication, we're in for a treat.
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:00 pm

It was a pretty strong episode. I liked Jimmy Fallon when he was a regular, too, though. Buble has done well on SNL bits. I enjoyed seeing all the old cast. However, I didn't even recognize Horatio Sanz! He lost a lot of weight, good for him.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Binky wrote:It was a pretty strong episode. I liked Jimmy Fallon when he was a regular, too, though. Buble has done well on SNL bits. I enjoyed seeing all the old cast. However, I didn't even recognize Horatio Sanz! He lost a lot of weight, good for him.

If it hadn't been for his singing of "Christmastime Is Here", I wouldn't have recognized him at all.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:40 pm

Horatio looks good! I guess I'm in the minority who never really hated him and Jimmy cracking up. I mean, I didn't love it. But I DID love, love, LOVE the "Christmastime is here," bit they did every year, so I was thrilled to see it in this episode.

A very strong episode overall, and I'm super excited for D.Rad to host.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top